[Alements] Windowpane

Xira and Aoren cross paths at Alements.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Aoren on March 20th, 2015, 11:43 pm

23rd of Spring, 515 AV

Aoren had learned some time ago that Shielding was a discipline that took patience. He stood within the main room of the Alements tavern. Syna had ducked below the horizon and night had fallen. He was up late that evening intent on performing a favor for his lover and friend, Caelum. The natural elements did not strike Aoren as a major concern in Riverfall. The city was quite literally built into the side of a cliff and was thus protected from a great number of things. That did not stop all things however and there were of course those disasters created by mortals hands that nature had no sway over. To that end, Aoren was devising a means of protecting the tavern against a variety of things.

But how?

That was the question. The Drykas man paced slightly glancing at the walls of the main room. There were any number of things that could happen to the tavern on any given day. Knowing how to Shield and knowing what to Shield against were two completely different things. One of the most obvious things that stuck out to Aoren was the prospect of a robbery. It was a theory mostly at this point, one that would require experimentation on his part. However, he couldn’t Shield the entire establishment against intruders. The Alements was a business after all and saw all kinds of activity in the way of people. He glanced to the doors.

No. That wouldn’t be a sound idea.

On the thought of entrances however, Aoren was drawn to the subject of windows. The tavern had several. His eyes were drawn to the ornate floor to ceiling windows covered in colored glass. A sense of warmth flowed over him and he nodded. He couldn’t logically Shield the main doors against entry but he could protect the windows from being breached by unwanted guests. There was also the prospect of a bar brawl though he doubted Caelum would ever let such a thing escalate within his tavern. Still, it was a thought.

Stepping up to the first window, Aoren drew upon his djed with relative ease. The flow of Shielding was something he had become familiar with over time. What became difficult was the weaving of the Shield itself and the task it was intended to perform. Touching a hand to the pane of glass, Aoren pushed his djed outward through the palm of his hand. With his affinity for Reimancy, his hands were the easiest method of expelling djed from his body next to the use of his eyes in Auristics. He focused on simply covering the expanse of the window for the time being. Windows were something he was familiar in Shielding though perhaps not to the level he was going to attempt. When the djed covered the surface of the window, Aoren stepped back.

At a glance he could see areas where the djed was thicker or thinner. He touched a hand to the Shield mentally prodding the djed to even out until the thickness was mostly even throughout the whole of the weave. With the thickness made even throughout he reflected on how to task the Shield.

Alright, how am I going to go about this?

It was a question spoken mostly to himself. He understood the concept behind tasking the Shield to block a specific object or sense. An entire person? He considered perhaps that the window should be tasked to allow only a specific individual to pass through it. The question was, how?
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 21st, 2015, 1:01 am

The bluevein river, really a portion of the sea, lapped across the docks on the lower level. The heat of the warm spring day settled into a cooling haze as Xira admired the sun from the edge of the docks. His boots and socks kept him company as his feet soaked in the water below. His seat swayed in the water, for it was technically a raft for those who took small boats to get to their craft, but the firmly tied ropes to the stairway kept the makeshift path from floating away. It was a pleasant evening, an evening of rest after a hard day's work. It was an evening that he would like nothing better than to soak his aching feet in the healing sea. Perhaps that explained the Konti and their affinity with both the sea and healing.

However, it was neither feasible nor practical to stay by the dockside the whole evening. Instead he took in Syna's full splendor before she took her rest and her lover chased her across the sky to light the darkness. After the last of her shining disc slid beyond the rim of the sky Xira knew it to be time for him to get going. And he had options that he could attend. He could make the trip home to the Sanctuary, he could meet halfway to his shop and sleep in his office, or he could lag behind in the city. Perhaps see a friendly face or visit with Caelum at his shop.

The later appealed best to him though, since he only had to walk what seemed a few paces to visit the Alements. So he shook the water from his cooled feet, rolled his trouser legs down and slid his socks and boots back on. Now on his feet, he looked about and then made his way up the docks and down to the lowest level of the city. The Alements was an interesting place to the courier. It at turns seemed earthy and rustic as well as elegant and refined. But this might be his own perceptions of the extremely attractive man settled over his establishment. Goodness, Caelum did things to Xira that he still didn't quite understand.

The evening streets were muted, the twilight of the city settling down for dinner. Family members came together and ate, couples swept through their romances both chaste and not and singles visited bars and social areas of the city. Company was sought and found. And so life's pattern were made manifest that auspicious spring. Likewise the Alement's interior was nearly empty excepting a familiar face; not the face Xira was expecting, however.

Instead Xira found Aoren. The handsome young man was eyeing not a drink, or a fine young lady, but the interior walls and windows of the establishment. Unusual to say the least. However he did... something with his hands. It was as if he was waving his hands about or smoothing something invisible. How strange. Xira instead carefully moved closer. He did not desire to interrupt the man's business, but he was curious and that curiosity could at times be insatiable. So with only a few creaks of the floorboards rather than his heavy bootfalls he came up behind his acquaintance.

From what the courier could guess, this was some sort of magic. Though it could just as easily be some sort madness and madness could be created through magic. Which was scary enough to make a sane man to avoid and be extremely suspicious. Not Xira, the fool of a man. That fool watched Aoren, baffled. Something in him, perhaps his past life as a mage and son of Cresent, Kavala's past life, sung out to him when he encountered magic. His initiation into reimancy had been such a powerful moment, now that he understood the dangers involved. And that was merely a single type of magic. Aoren could easily be manipulating something that he could not comprehend.

Perhaps... the courier should get a drink. He was certainly too sober to be philosophizing over the nature of magic and himself. If Aoren had not noticed him by this point, Xira turned to go get him something to drink. As quietly as he could so as not to interrupt whatever it was Aoren was doing, mundane or arcane. Honestly, none of his business.

Instead of a smooth and clean abscond, the courier tripped over a chair. The courier thumped forward a few paces before achieving his balance, his face a deep flush of embarrassment. He nearly swore as he adjusted himself and let the rush and excitement settle over him. He then turned to Aoren and gave him a sheepish look. "Hello there Aoren. Pardon me for interrupting."

My words
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Aoren on March 21st, 2015, 1:46 am

Aoren’s thoughts were interrupted when the scrape of wood across the floor was met with the flustered stumbling of another man. The Drykas tensed only slightly before turning to regard a face that was familiar to him.

Hello, Xira. It is alright. I was not being met with much success in what I was doing anyways.” Aoren cast a glance to the Shield that glistened over the glass of the window. He had yet to truly task it with any specific purpose. It was ready to be primed with instructions woven into the fabric of its djed. Aoren just hadn’t figured out quite how to go about doing that. The gentle whisper of Rak’keli’s gnosis nudged him in Xira’s direction. He couldn’t know what it was that bothered the other man but if the gift of Healing urged Aoren to tend to the man, Aoren had no problem offering aid. Dropping his hands from their clasped position behind his back he gave Xira an appraising look.

He did not know how much the courier had seen of what he’d been trying to accomplish but Aoren wasn’t particularly worried. Shields were not something others could truly see unless they were either Shielders themselves, interacted with the Shield, or possessed a means of seeing them such as Auristics. Still, he was more cautious with his magical capabilities than he once was. The trials he’d faced in Zeltiva as well as growing up in Syliras had made him into a careful wizard. It was still strange for Aoren to think of himself in that manner. By all accounts he was an accomplished practitioner of magic with a number of disciplines at his disposal. Some of those he wielded more proficiently than others but overall Aoren considered himself a fairly competent mage.

Something bothering you?” The Healer made his way over to a chair to take a seat. It was then that Aoren decided to call upon another of the magics at his disposal, the powers of Auristics. He drew upon his reserves of djed pushing them to his eyes layering his vision that he might perceive Xira’s aura. As he moved to sit down he also dove into the study of the mist that lingered around people, unseen by most. What struck Aoren immediately was embarrassment. A small smile touched his lips. He would have been slightly embarrassed too at nearly falling on his face tripping over a chair. Upon closer inspection however Aoren noted…curiosity?

He could see where Xira would be curious. Why was Aoren in Alements at this hour? Not that it was particularly unusual for him to be at the tavern during the evening. Caelum and he often shared their nights together. In fact, few were the nights that they didn’t. But, from the canvas of Xira’s aura he got the feeling that something else was on the man’s mind. Digging a little deeper, Aoren reached a layer of the courier’s aura denoting physical properties. The Healer perceived soreness. Tiredness. He blinked away the hold he maintained on his Auristics allowing the powers to recede. Folding his arms over his chest, cobalt blue eyes never losing focus on the other man, he quirked his head.

A long day serving the good people of Riverfall?” He gestured to one of the comfortable chairs across from him. “A hard day’s work deserves a moment of comfort, I would say. If you like, I could grab us both a drink and I could tend to your aches if you so choose?

He would of course leave the proper coin for any drinks taken. Aoren could almost see Caelum’s frown at the idea, but he refused to be a freeloader. Just because he was welcome in the Ethaefal’s establishment as he pleased didn’t mean he was going to abuse that privilege.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 21st, 2015, 2:34 am

Xira gave the man who was by all accounts both courteous and polite. Normally he would have enjoyed such... civilization. The issue was the Aoren seemed... too perceptive. Though the idea did not entirely make sense to the courier. Just as he considered the man, his questions and his offers Xira realized his hat was still perched on his head. He slid the hat from his head and smiled, holding it in both of his hands. He vacilitated a bit before he took a seat across from Aoren.

"It was a long day indeed. I sometimes wonder if those Akalak are so big due to all those stairs." He chuckled softly to himself. The courier's eyes flicked about like a restless bird. It touched upon Aoren's eyes, alighted on his mouth as it moved to speak. He nodded to himself slightly, more out of habit then out of any true response to Aoren's words or movements as his eyes moved to the now open door revealing a steadily darkening sky. As well to the window that Aoren was in front of, moving his hands in that strange pattern.

"It was just a lot of walking I suppose. I would certainly love a drink. Here let me..." He fished a few silver rimmed mizas and a gold and then handed it to Aoren. A certain amount of honor dictated paying his own fare, especially among friends and acquaintances. He certainly wasn't going to let Aoren pay for him, it was simply impolite to expect such generosity. However, what was puzzling was the lack of Elise and customers. That Aoren would have to offer was odd, but I suppose it was merely a busy day of the season. He made a mental note to ask Caelum about which days he was not open.

His focus returned to the now and he smiled at his potential friend. "But tend to my aches? What do you mean by this? If your company is the balm that you intend to use, I would surely enjoy it" It was intentionally witty and a half joke, but there was kernels of truth. He certainly would like to get to know this person he had only met few times before. It didn't take a simpleton to see that Caelum and him were good friends. However, he did not wish to pry. Instead Xira used a different tact.

"Tell me, if you would, what were you doing just now by the window?" He quirked his head, not unlike as the drykas man before him did not moments before. "Was it some sort of magic?" Xira let curiosity creep into his face, again bird like as he tilted his head the otherway to consider Aoren from a different angle. He wished he didn't sound as hungry for secrets as he did, it was somewhat unbecoming of a civilized man of Syliras.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Aoren on March 21st, 2015, 3:04 am

I would have agree that I wonder that too.” He chuckled rising from his seat accepting the coin that Xira offered. From within his own coin pouch, Aoren dug out a few of his own. He set them on the counter of the bar then went to retrieve a pitcher and two mugs. Into the pitcher he poured some hearty ale from the Alement’s stores then returned to the table. He set the pitcher between the two of them along with a mug for each then went to close the door to the tavern. He did not lock it, such was not his place to do, but at least it would keep out a draft. Returning to the table he slid down into his seat pouring himself a mug. At Xira’s remark, he laughed then pointed to the spiraling sigil gracing the right side of his face.

I am always happy for company but no. I do not think my company is a balm for many. But Rak’keli’s gift is a blessing to all. I meant that if you like, I can relieve the day’s aches with her assistance.” He sat back into his chair taking a drink from the mug of ale. The flavor was earthy and rich. It warmed his throat going down before falling into his stomach. He quirked an eyebrow at Xira’s question. The Drykas swished his ale around in the mug for a moment before taking another drink. He considered brushing off the question as little more than batting at cobwebs but that wouldn’t have made much sense. Caelum kept a clean establishment and Elise certainly didn’t tolerate messiness. It would be the truth then.

It is. It is a magic of protection by the name of Shielding. With it I am able to place protective barriers over people, places or objects. It takes time and a bit of focus but with study and guided intent one can accomplish many things with it.” It had been some time since he’d entertained magical discussion at length with anyone. The last being with his friend, Ricky in Zeltiva. He had imparted a little knowledge of the ways of Reimancy to the man. Aoren briefly wondered on how the man was doing. Zeltiva had been a very interesting place filled with both danger and excitement. The Healer had every intention of revisiting the city in the future but he expected that would be several years down the road.

Are you familiar with magic, Xira? More often than not I am met with a measure of…” He searched for the right words. “…distance? Yes. A measure of distance when people suspect magic is around.

Aoren hadn’t seen any hint of magical ability in the courier’s aura. Then again, he hadn’t been looking for it. There were signs of magical activity to be found in the auras of things but Aoren wasn’t the most adept at finding them if they were hidden. There was still much in the way of the Discipline of Insight that he needed to explore. It was one of many things he had every intention of doing during the present season and those to follow it.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 21st, 2015, 3:59 am

The courier gave Aoren another smile and nodded, "I know, I was teasing. Caelum and Kavala both have been graced by Rak'Keli. It is an amazing ability. How did Caelum put it..." He mused to himself, "Something about friends? Ah I suppose the details don't really matter. The bond you have with the goddess of healing is very fascinating to me. I would not refuse your gift, I just wish I was worthy of it" He took the drink in hand and smelled the yeasty beverage, the alcoholic beverage leaving a subtle fermented scent on the tongue even before he took a sip of the bitter liquid. Xira did not drink often, preferring his own self control, but he did enjoy the warmth it gave his belly when he sipped it.

He eyed the drykas before him curiously, the warm blond tones of his hair contrasting with those blue eyes of his. Strange that so many around him had blue eyes like his own. Perhaps where Aoren came from, so too his family did. A ponderous thought, but unlikely. He watched those facial expressions as he spoke about this mysterious new magic.

Kavala hinted that there were many magics to discover and to teach. Perhaps when they could meet next he might learn more from her. Magic of changing one's body he had witnessed directly as well as the gift that he now contained within his infected flesh. But this shielding... it implied interesting things. Something that could not be seen that could protect or, as Xira supposed, prevent access. Fascinating.

The next question however left him a tad unbalanced. He frowned, unsure how to respond. "I suppose that makes sense. Yes, I am familiar with magic... in a way." He paused, attempting to condense the concepts in a way that could be talked about casually, "You could say that I have family and now friends that know it intimately." He could have explained that in a former life he was a wizard, son of the former life of Kavala who was and is also talented in the arcane. But... that is a heady subject to be talking over a mug of ale. Xira would attempt it another time.

"I am very unskilled in a magic known as Reimancy." He offered up his palm, unblemished of scars due to Kavala's link to the goddess and muttered a soft syllable. From his palm a liquid started to bead up and condense into droplets. The droplets seemed to be like rain in reverse, lifting up in the air as the wizardling struggled to draw even a modest amount of res. The effects were a rush, and a drain all at once, something that he would like to try over and over again, but discipline and restraint was key to prevent overgiving. A small ball of Res collected a few inches above his palm collected a small ball of Res slowly crystallizing into an ordered structure of pure djed. "S-so... I am not unfamiliar with magic. I just only know this." He clenched his hand, stopping the collection and the structure shivered and shifted into a hard, faintly translucent black stone that nearly fell, had the courier managed to not catch it first.

He offered the stone to the Drykas. It was perhaps a reflection of himself, if he chose to really think about it. Angular and somewhat translucent, but also brittle while being hard. For without his self control, and discipline, who was he? Perhaps just a mess. The stone was irregular and smokey black, roughly about 3 inches with regular facets like a crystal, but nothing so advanced as a gem. "Kavala made it seem like there were many magics to learn and to study, maybe even to invent. This might sound a bit impertinent, would you mind telling me, or showing me more about this magic? I admit I am interested in learning more about all of it."
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on March 23rd, 2015, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Aoren on March 22nd, 2015, 4:02 am

No man nor woman is beneath the attention of Healers. It is not our place to judge the worth of a man. It is our place to give that man the chance he needs to make his life worthwhile.” It was a lesson that Rak’keli had made certain to ensure that Aoren understood in its entirety. The day of his marking was also the day he first used his gift on a man that had tried to kill him. The whole of the situation had been terrifying and still gave him nightmares to the present day. Nevertheless he hadn’t forgotten the oath he’d made to the goddess and if it was within his power he would strive to honor it in even the smallest of ways.

Xira’s response to his inquiry about magic was laced with something hidden. Aoren wouldn’t pry. Secrets had a way of coming to light at one point in time or another. He was a patient man. He had seen his fair share of secrets often enough that he was in no hurry to uncover more of them. At Xira’s admission to knowing Reimancy, Aoren studied him closely. When he held up his hand he noted that the iconic scars that marked many Reimancers was missing. That was not surprising given how many Healers the man associated with. Aoren did wonder then just who had initiated Xira and how long ago had it been performed? In the whole of the time Aoren had practiced Reimancy he had only ever initiated one person.

As Xira conjured his Res and began the task of shifting it into its elemental form, Aoren’s thoughts drifted to Shane Wallsly. The Hypnotist who he had inducted into the magic of the elements. It was something that weighed on Aoren occasionally. Had Shane grown more comfortable with his element? Had he progressed any further? The initiation hadn’t been performed out of the goodness of Aoren’s heart, that was certain. Shane had taught him Hypnotism, a magic that Aoren had done little with thus far but he intended to change that. It was on his list of things to do, which seemed to be growing with every passing day. He was pulled from his thoughts as Xira completed the transformation of Res into a black crystal it seemed. Aoren leaned forward accepting the crystal rolling it between his fingers. He smiled at Xira.

I am familiar with Reimancy.” With the amount of focus it seemed to take Xira to perform just that single transmutation, Aoren could take a guess that he hadn’t progressed very far. Aoren guessed that was likely the reason signs of magic hadn’t shown through more prominently in his aura. For the moment he declined to show his ability to conjure all four of the base elements at a Reimancer’s command. He could have but there was no purpose to it other than to show off and he wasn’t in the habit of such things. Xira made a request however that gave Aoren pause for thought.

You want to learn Shielding?” The question was more rhetorical than anything else. He rolled the smoky black crystal between his fingers as he thought. A glance was cast to the Shield that still shimmered over the window, waiting to be given a purpose beyond its most basic function. Would there be any harm in teaching this man the magic? Of all the magics that Aoren knew about, and he knew about a great many, it was perhaps one of the most benevolent. Xira also seemed an honest man as far as he could tell. He highly doubted that Kavala or Caelum would associate with him as closely as they seemed to if he weren’t at least honorable. Taking a gulp of his ale he nodded setting the mug on the table.

Very well.” Rising from the table he walked over to the window where stood his Shield. Pressing a hand to it he concentrated reaching for the weave of the Shield.

Absorb djed.

He instilled that thought into the Shield, impressing upon the canvas of the Shield that instead of simply repelling djed it should pull djed into its weave. He dropped the hand then turned to Xira.

Before I teach you the principles of Shielding, I want you to use your Reimancy. Throw a projectile, the best you can manage, at this window.” Aoren made his way back over to the table. He picked up his mug taking several steps in the opposite direction of the window off to the side. Tipping the mug back he took another sip of his ale observing the courier carefully. As he did, Aoren stirred his Auristics back to the forefront of his vision. He watched as the mist of Xira’s aura came into view. If he could see the fledgling mage at work, perhaps he could guide him.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 23rd, 2015, 8:15 am

Aoren sounded like he was quoting by rote by that point. It was a very interesting concept, that healers did not judge the worth of man and it made for some interesting consequences. Xira reasoned that if a healer did not judge a man, then a man who was evil was just as likely to be healed as a man who was good. But what was either? Only knights and priests could really make the distinction and Xira was neither. Even when it was not morality in question, what could he do or say to prove he was worthy. The healer seemed a sage, filled with thoughtful words that were best chewed slowly. He banished the thoughts to consider at a later time.

Instead he watched Aoren, taking in the little reactions as he looked over his conjured stone. The little smiles, the perhaps guarded tone that was nonchalant and cool to Xira's ears, but nothing unfriendly. Xira figured that Aoren was understating something, but could not figure out what. Again he flashed those all too perceptive eyes over him as he considered him and his crystal.

His thoughts were interrupted by an upwelling of glee as Aoren agreed to teaching him Shielding. If he could master this magic, his usage of magic would be much safer, his travels would have protection. But magic was dangerous. Here he was courting the forbidden again. Magic was frowned upon in most places and cultures. Even with Riverfall being more relaxed, his modest usage of Reimancy was looked upon with suspicion and fear. Learning another magic was just another test of his mental fortitude. Besides, who said couriers needed intelligence to do their job. But who said they couldn't have it.

Xira sipped his ale and considered the other and his request. He was so inexperienced with reimancy that he was easily a danger to himself and others if he was not careful. Already he could taste the rush of magic pulling at him to do more, oh so much more. He needed to steel himself, else something might go awry. He acquised and smiled. "As you wish."

Xira stood from his seat and faced the window. He glanced at Aoren before he started. Again he offered up his palm, this time directing it at the window. He softly muttered a syllable and focused. The courier hoped that Aoren was not to observant to notice that he was speaking gibberish. It was a tool, he discovered, that allowed him to draw for his magic with a sense of ease. It made him feel mystical, arcane and magical. It made him feel as if he could actually go about being a mage, despite the lack of training. If anything, the gesture was a focus, a key, to draw out his djed into a form he could work with. It helped calm his nerves; he had never used magic aggressively.

The key worked and again djed pooled up into his hands and beaded up from his palm and fingers. It dripped from his hands and floated upwards slowly as he worked the magic. His will caused a ball to form, slightly larger than the one before, as all beads of res coalesced into a recognizable form. When it was roughly the desired side the djed stopped flowing and Xira reached out with an index, a middle finger and a thumb and plucked the ball from the air. At his touch the ball shivered into a solid mass of res, of djed. He gave a hesitant look over to Aoren again before swinging his arm back and hurling the ball at the window. The orb flew through the air and Xira clenched his fist just before it contacted the window.

Xira's subconscious aggression lent the subsequent transmutation an interesting effect. Overall the ball was roughly the same substance as the crystal in Aoren's hand, but the shape was much different. Just before contact the ball seemed to grow thick, sharp protrusions of crystal all acrossed its surface that seemed to weaken its internal structure. It was as if the mageling's subconscious took advantage of the fracture and cleavage properties of crystal. If that crystal hit a surface, the ball would fracture and fling shards of sharp crystal around itself. Xira somehow made his fears of causing others pain into a weapon that would do just that. If it had been on purpose, Xira might have even been proud, but as it was he had no idea what he was doing in the first place.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Aoren on March 23rd, 2015, 2:03 pm

Aoren watched carefully as Xira willed his djed forward through his hands. He observed the man’s aura, watching the subtle nuances of the mist fluctuating with power. It was an interesting thing to see djed being shifted about in another person’s aura. Aoren wasn’t one who usually pried into the business of others but if in so doing he could help then it was for the better. Focus was the drive behind Xira’s emotions at the moment as well as pinpoints of uncertainty laced with hesitation. As the man took hold of the ball of earth that he’d conjured, Aoren released his hold on his Auristics. He gave Xira an encouraging nod when the glance was cast his way. Then came the moment he was curious about.

Aoren had instructed Xira to hurl a projectile at his Shield for two reasons. The first of those reasons was to give his Shield something to flare up against. The impact of the magically conjured earth would cause the Shield to become visible to one unskilled with the magic. The second was to observe his Shield actually drawing djed into its weave. The crystal projectile, while earth in appearance, was still purely magical and thus the Shield’s direction to absorb djed should hold strong. At least in theory.

The moment of truth came in short order. When it did, Aoren was pleased to see the Shield flare briefly as the crystal came into contact with its surface. The crystal sphere hung there for a moment, suspended by the Shield before the process of absorbing the djed rich crystal began. Aoren smiled drinking the last bit of ale from his mug with a nod. He resumed his seat at the table bringing the pitcher of ale closer. With a nod toward the window he spoke as he poured.

That is a Shield.” Setting the pitcher down he leaned back in his chair gesturing for Xira to resume his seat if he so chose.

At its basic level, a Shield is a curtain of djed given the purpose of blocking against foreign djed. As you become more familiar with Shielding however, that fundamental property can be expanded upon.” Aoren ran a hand through his hair thinking on how best to explain the different concepts of the magic.

That was actually what I was in the process of doing before you came in. I was trying to figure out how to task that particular Shield with blocking intruders. It is a protection I would like to apply to all of the windows in the tavern.” He was still contemplating on how best to go about that particular task. Blocking or absorbing pure djed was a simple thing. Shields were made of djed and thus granting them the ability to block or take in the raw substance that comprised them was not difficult. Adapting that single property into barring a specific form of djed however, was much more complicated.

This magic, I feel, will be easier for you to learn than you might think. Reimancy is the expelling of djed from the body in the form of Res, a substance imbued with the idea that it can become an element. If you draw upon that idea you are simply pushing djed out from your body.” He brought the mug of ale to his lips sipping thoughtfully.

Without instilling the idea of becoming an element.” That wouldn’t necessarily make fashioning a Shield any easier. It would perhaps at least give Xira a solid foundation to hold on to as he made his attempt.

Do you have any questions?

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Alements] Windowpane

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 31st, 2015, 4:34 am

Xira gasped as his stone projectile hit the window. He was expecting, hope against hope that something would happen to keep him from destroying the master worked windows. But as always, he was surprised when his hope was actually realized. He let his jaw hang open a few seconds as he watched the spiny ball disintegrate as the shield flared up due to the impact. The mageling closed the distance between it and himself just as the last vestigial traces of his conjuration disappeared. A faint glow faded away before his eyes as he reached forth, expecting resistance. Instead, there was nothing at all. He turned to his newest of friends with a quizzical expression as he explained the construct before him.

Xira shook his head a moment as he groped the air, he would take a seat after he inspected this new object... this curtain of djed. "Amazing, truly amazing." He said aloud, half to himself and half to Aoren. The glow was gone by that point and his fingers were simply passing the area that had only a moment ago taken a solid stone, wrought from his own essence, and made it vanish into thin air. Immediately his frenzied mind thought of how it might make for a way to protect others from any magical mishaps he might make while working with his craft. Overgiving was a constant danger, but if he could shield... say a workroom that he could experiment in, well his conscience would be far more at ease. Kavala really had driven home how dangerous magic was. It was easy to be afraid.

A moment later the courier took his seat before Aoren, his brows furrowed in thought as the Drykas spoke about the concepts of Shielding. "Res without the idea of it becoming an element...?" He repeated, thought it was closer to paraphrasing. "How would I...Hrm." He considered and tried to draw djed without his focusing words, without the mental image of bringing out res. In his mind it was supposed to be Res without being Res. Which was an utter failure.

Instead his fingertips inadvertently extruded a nebulous gas of Res, which Xira was quick to condense it to liquid with a curling of his hand and then to a solid by closing his hand before popping it into his mouth and swallowing. The latter being a trick he learned from Kavala, a means to recycle unused Res and conserve his djed. "Well then. I suppose I shouldn't have expected a shield right away." He chuckled good naturedly and smiled at Aoren. "Are there any special rules or restrictions to the magic? Maybe there is something I am missing."

Even while he was asking he was tugging at his essence to attempt again. He focused on another range of thoughts. Instead of Res that wasn't Res, perhaps Res tasked not with change but something closer to protecting? Xira was realizing he wasn't the expert, quick learning mage that he thought he was. Res came so naturally, even if he was unskilled, it sung to his nature. This was so far different from the other magic. The fact that he was making mistakes just to even conjure a warding was interesting and humbling. He was no longer that nameless child of Crescent.

From his fingertips came a strange sort of congealed Res. It was definitely Res, but it wasn't a form that he had conjured before. It was somewhere between a liquid and a solid, a sort of gelatin. Not quite there. He consumed the tasteless substance and went about to trying again. His mind had to try more, it had to feel the ecstasy of magic more. He ignored the sensation and let his iron determination and will settle over him instead. "Hrm." He mused, "Tell me Aoren, can you see your own shields? Or are they invisible to you as well? Would I see my shield if I ended up making one?"

Xira was missing something, and it was probably the fact that he was focusing on the shield itself, and not protecting a particular object. The thought simply didn't occur to him, despite his ability to quickly grasp the concepts of magic.
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on April 3rd, 2015, 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Next