[OOC] Veiled in Fog

OOC chatter for Black Rock's development forum, jump in here with ideas, suggestions and even if you just want to say hi!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the development forum for Black Rock. Come inside to develop, play, and discuss ways to improve and expand our wonderful city!

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Traverse on September 9th, 2014, 12:48 am

This thread is to throw around ideas, and suggestions to improve and expand Black Rock in its Grand Re-opening. Come on in, don't be shy!c
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Traverse on September 22nd, 2014, 10:20 pm

A random thought for this forum, what do you think people who live on Black Rock would be called, either what they think of themselves as and or what outsiders would call someone from Black Rock?

This can be ooc or ic, as I tend to have my pet terms for cities and I cannot bring a term to mind to fondly call those dwelling in Black Rock:

Black Rockians? Rockies? Ghosties?

Just something to think about ;)

Edit: Twister's contribution is: Rockers
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby M'Wanii on November 17th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I have no idea if this is the right place to put this but whilst searching the lore I found this. It says it can be seen from Black Rock so I thought I would link it somewhere in the forum so PCs could maybe include it in threads.

Also 'Rockers' sounds fantastic as does 'Rockie'.

“This is my friend, he's a Rockie.”

“You one of them Rockers?”
Char Common Fratava
ImageImageImage
14/9 threads
M'Wanii
Landdwellers are strange people

Words: 70579
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2013, 10:33 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Phyolea on December 8th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Phyolea

I like "Rockers" :p

I'm glad M'wanii linked to Myri's Teeth. I wondered if it would be a playable area. My character would love to get her hands on some of that gilded kelp.

Edit: Big Snip. I didn't see the Creation Corner before. My apologies.

Phyolea
Quicksilver

Words: 42951
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Phyolea on December 11th, 2014, 7:30 am

So I am a bit confused about Ashls.

The lore page says that 1 Ashl = 3 Gold Mizas (which presumably places the value of an Ashl at roughly around 3 Silver Mizas). Is this correct?

If so, I believe there may be a mistake in The Dormitories. Clerks and cooks are said to make 3 Ashl per day working in the dormitories. Laborers make 2 Ashls per day. The winter season has 92 days. A full season's worth of wages would therefore break down like this:

Job Title Base Formula Total
Clerk 3 Ashls x 92 days 276 Ashls
Cook 3 Ashls x 92 days 276 Ashls
Laborer 2 Ashls x 92 days 184 Ashls

Yet for room and board it says the following:
1 room in the Dormitories costs 300 Ashls per season, this also includes occasional cleaning of said room (once or twice a week depending on staff at the time), and 2 meals per day on the lowest floor of the building in a common area.

Cashing in your housing gets a PC a permanent room (unless they wish to move out) in the dormitories, only needing to pay seasonal expenses to keep it.

With the exchange rate, a room in the dormitories (at 300 Ashls per season) is equivalent to 900 GM (300 x 3). A new player starts with 100 GM with the option of cashing out housing for an additional 500 GM. So we have 600 GM total (100 + 500). If the new player does not cash out housing, there is only the base 100 GM (the equivalent of roughly 33 Ashl). It appears that either the exchange rate is inversed, the dormitory price is wrong, or the wages are set too low for the cost of living. Also, what are "seasonal expenses"?

Is it possible to exchange Mizas for Ashl? Clarification on this system would be highly appreciated. I intend to submit some locations for Eastern Bay in the Creation Corner soon.

Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Traverse on December 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Phyolea,

It is my fualt for your confusion. I have been operating under the idea that 1 Ashl = 1 Miza, so I'll edit everything swiftly to reflect the changes.

Seasonal expenses, or seasonal living expenses is the amount of money you pay per season that explains how your PC has been eating, surviving etc. With Ashls being 3:1 Miza, common season living expenses would cost 45 Ashls per season.

Edit: As of now all location prices should be updated accordingly, some things not easily divisible by three are listed in GMs or SMs. Thanks for pointing out this inconsistency.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Phyolea on December 11th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Thank you for the clarification! I just noticed that I've been using an incorrect plural form for the Ashl. Apparently Ashl is both plural and singular. Also, I made a mistake when I assessed the value of the Ashl. I made it weaker than the Gold Miza rather than stronger.

Thank you for updating the prices. However, the cost of living stacked against wages still remains the same. Now we have this:

Job Title Base Formula Total
Clerk 1 Ashl x 92 days 92 Ashl
Cook 1 Ashl x 92 days 92 Ashl
Laborer ? Ashl x 92 days ? Ashl (less than 92 Ashls)

The dorm cost exceeds the income. I propose that the wages return to what they were.

I've submitted a location similar to The Dormitories for the underwater people. I will update the costs since I've realized I inversed the values of the Ashl vs the Miza. The seasonal costs use 90 for a base similarly to the price list. My pricing is loosely based on Tarsin's Boarding House in Ravok. To compensate for currency conversion, I'm making it so that the Ashl actually buys several days of stay (calculations still pending):

Room Type Cost Per Day Cost Per Season (discounted)
Poor (small room with a simple bed and storage chest) 1 Ashl every ? days (? SM) 8 Ashl (24 GM)
Common (large room with all the standard inclusions) 1 Ashl every ? days (? SM) 15 Ashl (45 GM)
Fine (same as common but with finer furnishings and a small warming area) 1 Ashl every 2 days (15 SM) 52 Ashl (156 GM)

This is what I have for wages. The wages here are what they were before and still fall within the ranges outlined in the price list, especially since there are a few lands who use primarily Gold Mizas and rarely anything smaller (unlike the price list).

Job Title Wage Per Day (in Ashl) Wage Per Day (in Miza)
Cook 3 Ashl 9 GM
Clerk 3 Ashl 9 GM
Laborer 2 Ashl 6 GM

Also, is there a currency exchange? What do players with Ashl do when they leave the island since Ashl cannot be taken off? (Though I do know that the Ashl return when someone returns to the island... yet traveling tends to have costs.)
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Traverse on December 11th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Alright so the price for the Dormitories is not going to change only because the 100 Ashls is not in any way a fixed price. Yamin is a very reasonable man and basically gives the price of his rooms on a case by case basis. If a PC was to work and live in the Dormitories, they would not need to pay the 100 Ashls per season, only their living expenses. The 100 Ashls is more of a standard price that perhaps visitors would pay for a season's worth of stay, and though the lower paying jobs don't cover the expenses, most other jobs do.

I think the idea of paying for sections of the season is perfectly fine, but I won't be changing the amount a position is paid for, there is a reason that the jobs on the list have such a low pay, and if people want higher paying jobs they can invest the skill points into them to earn them higher wages.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[OOC] Veiled in Fog

Postby Kiva on March 22nd, 2015, 4:01 pm

OOC

Currently working on writing a herbalist/philtering shop write up. Should have it posted today or tomorrow for review.

Update: Posted. Excited for any/all feedback.
    -Kiva
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1