Closed Map Nerds (Fallon)

Pulren and Fallon go to the library.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 5th, 2015, 9:21 am

56th of Spring, AV 515

A beautiful day came to Zeltiva and brought the people out, Pulren included. Every day was a brighter day since his world had been changed. Dressed in his Guard uniform, sans shield and trident, Pulren made his way to Fallon's house, his trusted book of maps and lores with him. He was determined to find some answers and he enjoyed having a study partner. Who better than the well traveled Fallon? She did seem to know a great many things. The two of them had never really had much time to spend together in a personal manner. There was always some kind of work to be done beforehand, especially in those darker, unpleasant times.

Standing at her door, he stood back and admired her house. It was more than he could afford, surely. He admired the couple and their ability to enjoy the finer things in life. Some of that had certainly rubbed off on Pulren, his own meager cottage furnished like a place much better than it was. Not having a family to clothe and feed like Rick helped and most of Pulren's pursuits required little coin, allowing him to spend on items of greater value. Now that he was working again, he would find his own rhythm in no time.

Oh yes, knocking. A few short raps on the door and he took a step back. He knew that the pair were cautious, to say the least. He had heard from the guards that there was a one eyed masseuse at the Bath House, a juicy tidbit that Pulren would surely follow up in the days to come. For now, however, it would be a more direct approach with his former employer. Well, friend since she never actually paid him. Well, he received a room at the Quay. Anyway.

*knock,knock*
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on April 7th, 2015, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Fallon on April 7th, 2015, 6:21 am

Warmth, there was little more than that filling her mind at the moment. The mind was still in a lulled state, caught within the haze of sleep and wrapped within the layers of bedding. Arm swung from the edge, face pressed into the pillow as she rested, deep and refusing to awaken. There was only a small murmur when she felt the form of her partner peeled away in the early hours, a brief cracking open of the eyes as to simply look, before once more slumping back down into nothingness. Calm, long, nothingness that absorbed and controlled - peaceful and relaxing.

It was the knocking however that jarred the mind awake, head rising as she heard it grow more insistent with each pass. Blurred she rolled herself out, tangled up as she forced the mind to awaken. Feet barely thudded against the floor, hands reaching out as she pried herself free. With a grunt she heard the knock once more, her hand moving to grasping towards her tunic. Another tug she pulled herself into it, trousers following suit shortly after. Another grunt, she begun to move once more, palm rubbing at her eyes as she did, her form staggering towards the bedroom door. She had heard knocking, right?

Pushing open the door she leaned out, hands brushing back her hair into some semblance of order. Wood steps complained, the rest of her thudding downwards with each step. It was with a stagger she at last reached the bottom, bare feet padding before she finally got around to opening the front door.

It was with a sleep filled gaze that she looked upon Pulren, eyes tired and glazed. There was a long hard look, her mind slurred as she looked at him, then his feet, slowly climbing upwards to the books, and finally settling upon the face. She rubbed at the sleep in her eyes, a slowed blink as she considered what it was he wanted. With another grunt, she pushed the door open further and allowed him entrance, a small swaggering away as she dipped into the downstairs room.

A loud yawn echoed behind her, rumbling in her throat as she shifted about. Her hand pawed for the kettle, a grunt when she saw the fireplace dead of heat and the stove was in a similar position. By now the mind was beginning to tremble into truer life, eyes blinking as she continued to gather up some tinder and poke at the stilled embers in the stove. Another grunt she pushed herself to grasp upon the flint and steel, uneasy clicks and slides as she ignited it. With a spark it smouldered it, and the woman proceeded to throw some further pieces of wood onto it - the kettle filled with water was placed on top, the tea leaves placed nearby with the cups. With a sway she allowed herself to collapse into the favoured arm chair and looked upon Pulren. Chin rested in her jaw, her brow raised as she scanned him up and down. It was perhaps only then at last she spoke, "What?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 8th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Hearing footsteps shifting inside the door, Pulren took a half step backward out of respect for his friend. When the door creaked open, her disheveled and bleary eyed look made it clear that Fallon had been fast asleep and Pulren's visit was a wake up call. He wondered for a moment if she was truly awake at all, her look so hard and long. Maybe it was more that she was annoyed with his visit. Her move to the side, grunt attached and noted, made it clear that whatever her feelings he was a welcomed guest.

Stepping in and closing the door behind him, he looked around the room and sat his book down and watched his tiny friend as she poked about at the coals of the hearth. He remained in silence as whatever she was doing seemed to be an event of great import with plenty of pomp about it. Crossing his hands behind him, he watched as she started a fire and put a water filled kettle on the grate. A slight sigh passed his lips as she made her way into an armchair and took a seat. Her query was short and to the point, much like Fallon herself. Smacking his lips, he had a less brief answer.

"Good morning to you, Fallon. I see you are as bright as Syna today. I wondered if you might be free to go to the library with em. I wanted to look at some maps and volumes and compare notes against your own experiences to make my own maps more detailed. I thought you might enjoy doing something that wasn't so...bloody." He smiled and took a seat of his own in one of the unadorned wooden chairs of the room, turning it around so that the back was against his chest. Looking over at the hearth, he nodded his head, asking, "What are you making? Enough for two, I hope?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Fallon on April 11th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Fallon's eyes simply flickered for a moment, brightening briefly and turning in sharpness as Pulren entered and made himself comfortable. Her jaw flexed, a low yawn whistling between her teeth as she settled herself in. The tired eyes gave a slow blink, the long glazed expression continuing to hold before she let it slide away once more towards the kettle. Pulren's own words flittered and strung between them, lighter and chatty as he looked upon her with a slightly smug look. She raised a brow at him, and finally broke once more from her silence.

"Tea," she responded, voice lethargic and still thick with the desires of rest, "And of course." Her chin lifted away, and was passed to the other bare hand, her digits flexing as she begun to move it carefully, "I like it in the morning. Good way to start." Her gaze returned then to Pulren, slowly brightening as the mind began to grow sharper in thought. Her head straightened, less of a lean now as she forced herself up right and mulled the words over once more. It was slowly that she nodded along, approval of the idea without actually saying.

"Books... I like books," she spoke again then, as if filtering through her own thoughts and considerations, "I like reading, and writing, and texts..." With a shake of the head she shook the clouded preferences away and focused herself on the task at hand, "Zeltiva's Library is a good point of resource, for... whatever it is. Maps? Location you are looking for?" Lips pursed, the faint starting of rattle coming from the belly of the kettle - it would begin to boil no doubt in a few more chimes. And then, perhaps, she would begin to indulge herself in the tea, "But books... many books... researching and my experiences?"

Her fingers steepled together then, her eyes narrowing down as she considered the next step. What did Pulren really want, was one that came to mind and no doubt would come forth with further questions. Was it information about her, or locations that she had been to? And in the nature, if it was locations he was after, of the details of these places or something else? Long lost secrets, myths and stories? She only knew so much from her times travelling, and already she was beginning to scrape the inside of the skull for knowledge. Clearing her throat she spoke, "What is it you are looking for Pulren? Aid my buzzing mind and see if we can bring it to something more focused."
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 19th, 2015, 9:32 am

Tea.

Pulren had heard of the beverage, but Zeltivans, with their rationing and kelp drinking, generally tended to miss out on many of life's little luxuries like steamed leaves. He was glad that he would be accepted into the fold once more, the aromatic blend perking up his senses. He was glad to hear that she enjoyed books and studying, hoping that the commonality might be a new frontier for their friendship. Through Sunberth and Sahova, their relationship had been mostly professional, though they were friendly. Pulren sincerely hoped that the library might be something they could bond over now that the Zeltivan was in his natural surroundings.

Her questions pointed, Pulren picked up his book and opened it, fingering the drawings and words that he had scrawled in it over time. "I'm very interested in geography and maps. Actually, and you will probably think it funny, I ventured to Sunberth so I could see more of the world that I had previously learned about at the University. Between school and people in Sunberth, I have learned about many places and I want to get them all put together in one place. Namely my journal." Tapping his fingers on the maps he had made, as crude and probably incorrect as they were, he looked back over to her. He was a little intimidated by Fallon and her world experience, but he was mostly optimistic that he would benefit from her experience.

"So, I was hoping that you might head over to the library with me and consult the maps and the notes that I have, as well as offer your own knowledge. I have the idea that you are well traveled." Straightening up in his chair, he looked back to the Red Wolf. "So, if you would help me out, I'd appreciate it. We could also discuss other scholarly topics if you like." He really didn't expect her to turn him down. What else was she going to do?

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Fallon on April 23rd, 2015, 6:02 am

"Far from funny. The first time I visited Sunberth was due to curiosity over my late mentor's words to never go there, and to look for a hasty escape," She shrugged, gaze sweeping to the kettle as it continued to steep and boil, "It does not surprise me to say the least." Tea, she could already smell the bitter scent that traced in the air, the lingering warm feeling that curled after it as Pulren continued to talk , "Did you find out what you wanted to learn there of the city of anarchy? No?" Her head gave a small tilt to one side and clicked, "You want to learn more, crave knowledge and have things answered? And when you do, you are left only lusting for further information?"

Her lips gave the smallest of curls, a sharpness breaking through the fatigue and filling her gaze for just a moment - before it was clawed back once more. Energy, she needed to conserve it in the process of waking up, more so as she would be soon scratching within the recesses of her mind. Her ears twitched to the faint starts of a rumble within the kettle, the water rising and warming quickly now, "I have travelled for a bit, seen things, done things, experienced. It is my life. Still is technically speaking," With a shrug she lowered her hands and placed both of them upon the arm of her chair. It was there the fingers drummed upon the arm, her mind lulling back and forth as the kettle gave another rattling whistle. Standing, she tended to it, removing it gingerly from the heat and leaving it to brew for a moment - it was then she offered one of the cups to Pulren, and placed a jar of liquid honey with a tea spoon upon the lid between them. She blinked, paused and then eased herself back down, "I am guessing we have enough time for a drink? Or did you want to be on your way sooner than later?"

Another pause as she stared across the small space across to him, pursing her lips and then tilting her head, "So, you wish for knowledge. But what sort, you say foreign lands but what specifically? By all means it is good to state one's curiosity - but did you have something specific in mind? The world is a big place, perhaps it would be best to start it off with a base foundation in which to spring into a direction, no?"

With the kettle still steaming she pulled upon the handle and reached across to Pulren's cup - gently letting it fill with a glugging sound. Inside her mind the hazy memory of when she first met Zandelia flickered in her mind, the debate and discussion over tea, of intelligence and wisdom. She moved onto her own after that, "I have been to several cities, stretching across the Sylira and Taldera region. Syliras, Ravok, Nyka, Mura, the wintry shores of Avanthal. And of course, you know I have been to Sahova, Sunberth and now Zeltiva - not that I feel you need much information on the latter one. So, pick a place and we shall begin."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Pulren Marsh on May 3rd, 2015, 6:22 am

It seemed that perhaps he wasn't so different from her, though he really knew that he was. They did seem to have curiosity in common as well as a desire to survive. Fallon held the desire to thrive, however, something that Pulren had not yet mastered. He was working on it, though. Her questions were pointed. They were even so pointed that they left small scars on Pulren's psyche. Nothing he couldn't handle, a smirk said in response. "I learned that I have the capacity to kill without compunction. Perhaps even with some kind of sadistic enjoyment. Sunberth did teach me that. It also taught me that I am a survivor. I do desire more information, though. Always. If not, why live?"

Maybe an extreme answer, but valid.

While watching the ceremonial movements of the tea serving, he nodded in agreement with her statement, as it reflected his inner thoughts on the topic that was Fallon."Yes,you are indeed well traveled and experienced. It's something to aspire to. I don't know for sure, of course, but we can't be that different in age can we? I hope you are older or I am really slacking!" He laughed out loud at the fact, though not so much on the inside, the sounds draining away thereafter. "No,no. Let's definitely have some tea. With rations and whatnot, I honestly don't think I've ever had any. Does it have medicinal properties?"

Holding out his cup in two hands, he watched as the brownish liquid happily gurgled into his cup, the container warming quickly in his hands. He could smell a bitter yet pleasant smell emanating from it and he looked down at the honey. Taking the offered cup, he waited for his host to sit and take a sip before taking his own. "I know of the Sylira region. I studied it at the University last Summer in a Geography class. Along the way in Sunberth, I have picked up names of other places and hoped that we could maybe sketch some new maps with the combined information. For instance, I have never heard of Avanthal as you call it, but Kaie told me of a deadly jungle area ruled by a Goddess of War called Taloba." He tried to narrow his thougts, as that is what she was after. "What is Nyka?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Fallon on May 14th, 2015, 8:53 am

"For there are other things to live for outside of simple, pure information. For example the choosing of what to do with what is known, to base world views upon your life and understand what the right thing would be to do - not that it always necessarily a good thing," She gently swirled her cup then, looking deep into the dark depths with a pinch of the brow, "But, with every choice and every action - even if it is to survive - there is consequences for them. Something that all the information in the world cannot even save you from." She took a slurp then, slow and precise in her movements - Pulren had said words, but she would only completely believe them when the actions were done to match.

"I do not know on the older," She gave a small frown, pausing in her sips above the cup. Her lips pursed into a small pout, a pause of consideration, "I would only be playing guesses on such a subject regardless. Though, if it does become a reveal that you are indeed older, well..." She gave a blow upon her tea before taking a sip, "Your loss with the slacking." Gently clicking herself out, Fallon turned her attention to the middle distance and retreated into simple thought, "Medicinal properties? Not really. It's relaxing and warming on cold days. An easy balm that in the grand scheme of things is far from expensive. More so if it gives an element of peace." The back of her head rested against the chair then, the sea green orbs resting upon Pulren for a tick, "It has as many medicinal properties as you see fit.

"Nyka is a city on the coast, further north of Sunberth. Cooler climate, but still residing in the Sylira region,"
There was a swirling of the cup, her voice humming as she spoke, "They hold warrior monks, and value the ability to fight, to stand on their own two feet and hold their own. Of course, not on the same level as Sunberth. They ration their food too, and divide themselves into quarters. I suppose, you could say there is order and ruling there - though nowhere on the same levels as the knights of Syliras." Her lip curled then, "Worth of self, respect and discipline. That is how I would describe them." With the explanation done she lowered her cup.

"Avanthal, is very cold. Ice all year round, it is warmer in the winter though only fractionally so due to the departure of Morwen to the rest of the world. It also holds special memories for I," she tapped the golden lormar upon the back of her hand in representation before moving swiftly on. Draining the rest of her cup she stood, "Enough of me though. Is there something in particular you are looking for then today?" She gave a step away, moving towards the hallway and the space beneath the stairs where she had tucked her book, "Did it get the ideas flowing? While it is good to look for something, it is useful to know what you are looking for."
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Pulren Marsh on May 18th, 2015, 9:45 am

Words, words, words.

Between Fallon and Zandelia, the pair could summon up more words than the University's library. They knew how to use them as well, a talent that Pulren both admired and was mildly annoyed with. He knew that she had worked hard to get where she was. Maybe it was the fact that she was no longer his superior and he felt more equal. Was he equal? Probably not, but he no longer had to call her anything but friend or Fallon. He could only grin as she dismantled him with her words. Perhaps this was the price for waking Fallon up without prior notice. One of these days he would have to learn how to respond in kind.

His taste for the tea faltered as she described its properties of soothing. With her attitude, it would take at least a barrel of the stuff. He had invited himself over though. That was something the Zeltivan had to remember. If he didn't like it, he could leave. She would probably appreciate that considering she needed an easy week of beauty sleep. Though his attitude had changed for the better due to his meeting and learning of Priskil and Her ways, he was far from transformed into some nice guy. He took a quick gulp of the stuff, immediately regretting it as it slightly scalded his tongue and throat.

A small sigh and he placed his cup to the side. She was now educating him on the city of Nyka and he was going to absorb it. Opening his journal up to his own sketches and maps from class, he followed with his finger to where he thought Nyka might be. As she spoke of it, his finger trailed away, his mind lost in the ideas of disciplined monks and Knights. So many elite fighting forces the world had and what for? People were just barely scraping by, as far as he could tell.

Next she spoke of Avanthal, which he remembered vaguely from the lecture. He found it both interesting that the place remained frozen with ice all of the time and that Fallon had 'special memories' there. He wondered what kind of shenanigans that entailed. Another time, it seemed, as she quickly changed the subject back to the task at hand.

"It does, indeed. I really want to update my own map sketches of Sylira and look at maps at the library to see if there might be more details to learn. I agree that sticking with Sylira is probably best, as I probably won't be going anywhere monumental anytime soon. Nevertheless, why don't we get out of here and go to do some studying and reading?" He stood and brushed himself off, picking up his half filled cup and placing it on her hearth. Smiling, he picked up his stuff and moved closer to the door.

"If you're done with your tea, of course."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Map Nerds (Fallon)

Postby Fallon on May 19th, 2015, 8:46 am

Pulren seemed to pause, a blip in his face and features as Fallon spoke. Was that a smile upon his face or was that small seething of annoyance? She could not decide as she looked back briefly and pulled upon her boots. Tugging them on and into place, the gentle clink of straps and buckles as they were tightened in place. She had noted that the man was scribbling down her words with much enthusiasm, marking things out no doubt in his mind. Whatever his end goal was however was still beyond her, and while there was some curiosity in wanting to know it was she had a feeling in time she would find out. She looked at her coat upon the hook, a brief tap of the pocket to check her keys and gloves were in there. With a pull at it, she hooked it over her arm and swaggered back to Pulren.

"Reading is good," Fallon yawned, "I need to do my own research on a few things, so do not be surprised if I suddenly disappear from sight. I'll no doubt return to you in good time." Her eyes flickered up to the placing of the cup upon the hearth, brow raising briefly as he gathered himself and made his way to the door, "I'm done with tea for now. Need a walk, then there will be the ability to focus on studies." With a final nod she moved herself to the front door, pulling on her gloves and covering her bare skin. The coat came after that, the weight of her notebook still within in one of the pockets being noted before she pushed herself off into the city itself.

A pivot on the heel, Fallon directed them in the general direction of the library. She was still waking up in honesty, the yawns loud and the pinching of the brow firm as she tried to judder herself into life. At least actual physical movement was assisting in keening the mind into action and thought. Perhaps it was the sea air that assisted with that, she did not know - nor did she really care presently outside of the fact it was seemingly working, "Books... Books. So. Sylira region. Are you thinking just geography? City information perhaps? Cultures? Sylira region is still a very big place." Fallon dug her hands into her pockets, a small bobbing of the head as she walked, "Or you just looking to dive in and see where you end up? Or perhaps... are you sure you are not looking for something in particular?"

Fallon turned her head to him then, eyes looking him up and down for an answer, "Looking for information, looking at the land, looking at what's out there. For what though? Curiosity? Or are you just trying to find yourself now Pulren?"
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Next