Closed [Lab 13-J]An Ichored Staff: Part II[Annalisa]

Clyde assisted by Anna continues on to the second step of the Magecrafting project

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[Lab 13-J]An Ichored Staff: Part II[Annalisa]

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 14th, 2014, 3:02 am

Honestly Clyde did not expect the familiar to answer all of his questions. It was simply one tool amongst many of Clyde's questioning repertoire. Ask many questions, perhaps throw them off, and have them answer some, but feeling as if they held back since they did not answer all. Optimally they would answer them all, but likely they wouldn't. But then, when you were uncertain how much you could trust of what was said, each fact was of less true value.

It would likely be a good idea to ponder the truth of anything that could not likely easily be found out for true or false, or which was not common knowledge or considered so by those in the know. He doubted they would lie about anything else, due to the chance of bringing attention to their falsehood should he learn later that they'd lied about one thing.

“I assure you I am not so fragile, Mr. Sullins. My body is composed of various ores that are too many to properly hope to list all of them.”

Ores Clyde understood, being of Syliras, and having done some metalworking. Ores where were one got metal from. If this familiar was metal based, then it likely was rather hardy.

“I hail from a rather lovely corner of misery known as Fyrden and am known as a Kirt. I met Anna here through a mutual intermediary and we opted to form a bond based on mutual compatibility.”

As the familiar continued, a word struck in Clyde's memory. Fryden. It was a world he knew of, at least in passing, from his own work in summoning. He was by no means a master summoner, but he recalled the name of the basic common worlds, and knew Fryden was one of them. He also vaguely recalled its description as a none to pleasant place, which seemed to match up with what the familiar said. A kirt apparently being her particular kind or breed, or perhaps race. Bonding reminded Clyde vaguely of some talks of kelvic bonding, which he supposed had something to do with the mentioned familiary.

“Mmm... I've heard of Fryden before, and it did seem as you put it to be a corner of misery. I can see why you'd rather be here bonded to Anna, even if she can be mean. ”

Clyde was curious how this bond was actually formed, how such a thing worked, and how compatibility was decided, but chose not to press on the point just yet. All in time.

“As for what I do for Anna… I provide her with advice and an extra perspective. There is wisdom in listening to words that are not one’s own. My shapeshifting abilities are also rather useful from time to time.”

Clyde nodded, seeing her point, though not truly seeing the full value. If all one wanted was a ally to give advice, other more mundane means could be found. He could not help thinking that there was something more to this familiary, which was being glossed over.

As he thought on this, he also wondered what exactly familiary was. A branch of magic? Some other skill? Something with a deeper working to it? As he thought on this, Anna and Vex proceeded to get into a small argument.

“As much as this line of questioning is fascinating, I find it pointless to our overall objective here Clyde. Vex is not going to be a distraction if that concerns you, what concerns me is whether on not the enchantment has been ruined by your… episode.”

“Oh come now Anna, no need to be such a grouse. I am more than happy to answer Clyde’s questions. After all, he is your only family left is he not?”

“I- of course. I apologize, Clyde, that was rude of me.”

Clyde grinned back at Anna and the Kirt, and proceeded to pace back over to the magic staff. He spent a good chime or so looking over the staff this time, even going to far as to prod it once with Cha, and to run a bare finger along its length once, before continuing speaking, with a somewhat scholarly and instructional tone to his words, as if he was explaining a finer point to a confused student.

“Apology accepted Anna, and its quite all right. I assure you I wouldn't have reacted as such with my episode as you called it if I'd thought such a action would have ended with such a outcome as you had feared. Had such a outcome occurred, trust me we'd both know. Or we'd both more importantly not know, since we'd be dead. When things go wrong in Magecrafting, they tend to do so rather energetically. But I'm fairly certain there could have been no ill effect from our stopping or our action.”

“Now if we'd been charging the item, and not simply imbibing the staff with a essence and opening it to said essence and the concept of the transfer of djed, then such a problem might have occurred. Said resulting problem whether minute or cataclysmic would have likely ended with either our immediate demise, the failure of the enchantment, or a considerable bit of extra work for me to even back out the resulting imbalance. But since we weren't doing that, there is little to no perceptible risk of such a occurrence actually occurring in this instance.”

Apparently satisfied with his inspection, Clyde began to slowly unwind the d-wire from the staff.

“As for being rude, I was more pointed at your point of being rude to Vexy here, more so than myself, though I suppose in retrospect you were being rude also to myself. But seeing as I've already accepted your apology, what say we go on past that. Back to the topic at hand, the staff step seems done. We can remove the d-wire, as the powders have been fully absorbed and the essence of the concept of djed transfer has been fully imbibed into the staff.”

Clyde would continue on working at unwinding the d-wire and placing it aside and out of the way of the pedestal and wardings, whether or not Anna assisted him. Though if she offered her assistance, he would accept it.

Once done he would find it acceptable to speak again, and so launch into another explanation, along with additional questioning.

“So lets see... I spent two days on the first step, a day and here, carry that... Staff step... I'd say the staff is done, it just needs to be cooled off now overnight, and it should be ready sometime tomorrow. Though before then we need to figure out the financing and the dealings of such a thing, if you do want the staff.”

“FIrst though, I was wondering, since it is actually on subject, if familiary counts as a magic, and if so as what kind? Personal magic? World Magic? As I've said before, a Magic Staff, a true one, is a conduit for personal magic. So I would assume then that should you learn to use the staff, and familiary is a personal magic, the staff would allow some ability via familiary, or some cross functioning. I'm uncertain exactly how it would work, or what it would let you do, but it should in some way shape or form be compatible with the magic.”

Next Clyde mentally launched into some numbers, pondering the costs and such. The raw Magecrafting ingedients alone had cost Clyde 1,700 gm. The staff another 10 and a half gm's. Plus the added nuit essence for Anti-nuit behavior. Normally it would sell for thrice its cost, or... 5,100 gm... But likely Anna didn't have that. The thought of money also brought up another thing, that of the pay from their previous work.

“Also before I forget, you received the money from our previous work, the mage light, but I never got any of that. I'll still be needing my share. Though perhaps at least in the short term that could be worked into any dealing. Normally an item such as this, for purely base amount, would fetch 5,100 gm. Though perhaps I can add in some kind of family discount. Though I did put in quite a bit of work in acquiring the needed ingredients, and the additional labor I did before today in enchanting it.”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Keene Ward on April 9th, 2015, 12:01 am

Grades

“For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”
-Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

Clyde

Skills
    Composition +2
    Organization +2
    Philosophy +1
    Planning +3
    Tactics +1
    Intelligence +1
    Interrogation +2
    Investigation +1
    Negotiation +3
    Persuasion +2
    Rhetoric +2
    Singing +2
    Socialization +4
    Storytelling +2

Lores
    Mage Crafting: Anti-Nuit Staff
    Aura: Void Portals
    Aura: Voiding
    Aura: Vex
    Aura: Annalisa Marin
    World: Fyrden
    Familiary: Bonded Advisors
    Familary: Creatures from Fyrden
    Kirt: Creatures of Stone
    Kirt: Shape Shifters
    Familiary: Sealed Form

Rewards/Consequences
MC2 Ichor Imbued Mage Staff

Notes

Annalisa

Skills
    Voiding +2
    Auristics +1
    Familiary +4
    Observation +3
    Socialization +4
    Persuasion +1
    Subterfuge +1
    Philosophy +1
    Intelligence +2
    Investigation +1
    Negotiation +2
    Investigation +1

Lores
    Auristics/Magecrafting: An Aura's Balance
    Magecrafting: Prepping a Magic Staff

Rewards/Consequences
None

Notes
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Last edited by Keene Ward on August 6th, 2015, 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Ink on May 11th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Staff Awarded and added to Clyde's SS:

Its effect is to work more effectively against Nuit this means:
  • Magic spells have added intensity when used aggressively with the intent harm against Nuit. Ex. A fireball will not be larger or stronger in any way but will do further harm to the Nuit if hit( more intense burns).
  • Striking a Nuit directly with the staff will also have stronger brunt impacts and potentially do more damage.
It does NOT
  • Stop a Nuit from picking up or using the staff.

Special Properties: After being left in direct sunlight for greater than 2 hours it begins to reek of rotted flesh. This effect dissipates after it has been covered for 10 minutes.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous