Closed Easy as Pie (Orin)

Orin bakes several pies for the pie eating contest being held the following day. Sayana offers to help and he teaches her a thing or two about baking.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Easy as Pie (Orin)

Postby Sayana on March 28th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Orin’s second attempt at the “precocious” joke only provoked a slightly smile to the dancer’s lips. Mostly, however, she just shrugged it off not wanting to draw attention to the fact she didn’t understand the first time. But when he asked about her dancing, she immediately brightened up. “Oh my dance style? Now that certainly has a story behind it. How about I tell you after we’re done practicing?”

Sayana grinned cheekily as she watched the cook’s face turn red from her ‘demonstration’. He babbled a bunch about daggers but she was rather smug about the effect she had. Still, she ought to be practicing and not solely tormenting the poor fellow. However, at her affirmative answer to his question, he was positively beaming. Sayana couldn’t help but smile back and mentally made note of the length of the trip. Two to three days away, that would mean… She counted out three fingers on one hand and another three on another hand and then counted them all together to get six. Her eyes widened a little. Was Orin sure that Remi and Kevith would let them leave for six days? And did she want to be away from Aren for that long? There was a bit of doubt on her expression, but she had just said yes and she didn’t want to trash Orin’s hopes.

After her rather successful throws at the door, Sayana grinned at Orin’s comment. “But Orin, if that was a real person, they’d be moving. Or more likely running.” She gave the cook a wink at the comment. She had gotten quite reasonable at throwing her daggers at still objects, particularly large objects, but it would be an entirely different story to throw a blade when the target was moving or if she herself was moving. “Oh and Orin? That blade? Keep it. It’ll make for a good practice knife. Just remember to practice with your own daggers too. Different blades have a different feel and weight to them.”

As they entered the kitchen, Orin managed to stall her questions just long enough for him to ask her to remove the pies. The Eypharian obliged happily and made sure to wrap her hands carefully with the cloth he provided. There was only enough cloth for four of her hands, but that would certainly do. Carefully she opened the oven and began removing the pies two at a time. She was still quite impressed with the heat coming from it and found her face getting hot as she took out the last of the pies.

She listened as Orin began answering her slew of questions. The Order might have some maps, or maybe even the Bazaar. There were a lot of odd things here and there at the Bazaar. And definitely a tent. She chuckled at Orin being worried about the implications of sleeping in the same tent. “Are you really going to insist on two tents? What if we’re attacked at night and we’re split up because you thought it would be better to sleep apart? I think that’s foolish. And yes, I don’t want to rely on trying to catch stuff out there. We should bring enough food for all six days.”

Sayana pondered the trip as she took the two remaining pies and put them into the oven. It was amazing how much the dough of the pie could change after being baked. From being soft and pale to dark and crisp. Internally she found herself amused as she looked at Orin’s soft pale skin versus her own darker skin.

She sat down at the table in the middle of the kitchen and considered the task at hand. “I think you should plan out all the food and cooking related things and I can cover everything else. Like I’ll get a tent, bedrolls, lanterns, those sorts of things. And I’ll also figure out directions to this place or if I can, find a map. Then you can make sure to bring enough food and bring all the pots and pans and plates needed. If it’s just the two of us, we could probably just eat out of the pot, but you have to bring cutlery. I have some if you need it, but you’ll have to let me know.” She paused for a moment after delegating the tasks between them. “And we can each be responsible for horses. I know the stables rents fully equipped horses for about 10 gm per day.”

She stopped for a moment as she realized they still needed to plan one of the most important things. “So when do you want to leave on this trip? I’d suggest we have at least a few days to get together the supplies we need. Also, it’ll be nicer as things get warmer. But you don’t want to be the last artist to submit something to that glassblower. How about the 30th? Nice easy day to remember.”

Even as she concentrated on planning for the trip ahead, she couldn’t help but glance over a couple times at the freshly baked pies. The smelled ever so good. “Do you think we could…?” Sayana spoke as she nodded to the pies.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Easy as Pie (Orin)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 28th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Orin decided he should give the joking a rest. Since clearly his sense of humor was definitely not very good if both of his attempts to make even the smallest bit of verbal wordplay had gone completely underappreciated. At least Orin’s prying into her life hadn’t been seen as invasive. Orin was incredibly grateful for that. It would have been unbearably awkward if Orin’s questions hadn’t been well-received since Orin wasn’t entirely sure he could actually stop himself if it came to that. If past experience was anything to go by it didn’t seem likely. Thankfully, despite a smug grin, Sayana didn’t tease Orin about his reaction to her earlier moment with her chest. One day my cheeks are literally going to melt because I blushed too hard. Or the blush will pop right out or something. As ridiculous as the thought was it probably wasn’t too far from the truth. Still the topic they moved on to was only marginally better when it came to Orin being comfortable with the subject matter. Served him right for asking in the first place. Maybe this would teach him to keep his mouth shut in the future, but Orin doubted it. Thankfully, Sayana deferred her explanation until later and Orin went back to work in the kitchen with a distinct sense of relief.

Daggers were definitely safe to talk about though. ”Actually I bet they’d be too in awe of your beauty to do anything but stare,” Orin declared in a completely over the top gallant manner. Perhaps he wasn’t quite done with the joking yet. But if Sayana was going to wink at him then Orin wanted to show that he could give just as good as he got when it came to teasing. Which probably wasn’t even remotely true but Orin hoped one day it might be. He gave her a little nudge with his hip to show he wasn’t being serious if somehow she missed it. Her next comment caused Orin’s jaw to drop. ”But, Sayana, I couldn’t possibly, I mean it’s yours. Especially seeing as you’ve already been so kind to me about all this and the training I don’t want to impose on you.” Of course, Sayana wasn’t the type of person to offer and not mean it so Orin figured he could hold onto it. However, it didn’t feel right for some reason. Orin could take care of himself after all. He was supposed to be learning to live in the real world and buying your own goods was all part of that. Maybe he and Sayana could reach some kind of compromise. ”I’ll tell you what. I’ll hold onto this one for now but when I’m shopping for our goods I’ll go out and get some for myself and then I can return it to you next time I see you. How does that sound? Then on the trip we can both practice.” Orin grinned at the thought. He thought it was a solid plan.

Seeing that Sayana was taking out the pies two at a time, Orin waited for her to finish then slid the last set of cherries in. He couldn’t resist taking a good sniff at the heavenly aroma of spices and fruit wafting up from the pies. Their crusts were a gorgeous golden brown and the slits showed the fillings in a deliciously. All told, Orin felt he’d done a wonderful job in whipping this up. Of course, having an assistant made all the difference. Straightening up, Orin tuned in to Sayana’s rather elaborate organization for their trip. He held up his hands to hopefully slow her down. At the rate she was going Orin would be lucky to get a word in edgewise. ”Alright we can share a tent. But you get to have that conversation with Aren otherwise if he finds out he’ll strangle me. Again. For a third time? Not sure the last time actually counts as strangling. Since he used magic. Still, that doesn’t really apply to this conversation at all does it, I’m just going to stop talking now.”

Taking a deep breath, Orin steadied himself before he kept going. This time he applied himself to the conversation fully and threw himself into the planning process. ”Alright I can definitely handle the food end of this. Don’t worry, I’ve got a plan in mind already.” In fact Orin had already started thinking how nice it might be to have a picnic with Sayana. After all, Sunset Falls were supposed to be beautiful and peaceful. Orin figured that was the perfect setting for a picnic between friends. Then his brain caught up with his mouth. ”Wait hold on. Six days? Where’d you get that from. I’m sorry I thought I had made myself clear. It’s a day trip there and a day back for experienced riders, which I’m not so I was adding an extra day or travel. So, three days hopefully, assuming we don’t run into trouble along the way. As for the breakdown, works for me. If you’d rather I handle something other than just the food, let me know.” Orin smiled. He was getting excited already and they hadn’t even set off yet. ”And the thirtieth sounds perfect. Meet at the stables for the horses? I’m not too worried about being the last one to submit. Not sure how many people are crazy enough to do this anyway. And besides, I’m not even sure food counts as a real submission. I think it can be art but who knows what Leena will say.” Orin finished rather wryly.

Orin giggled at Sayana’s eager looks at the pies. And when she asked if they could eat one, Orin picked up one of the apples and placed it before her with a fork. ”Chow down! We made them I say that entitles us to have one. I’ll be joining you, I think. I haven’t eaten anything all day and I for one am starving.” Orin selected the mixed berry pie for himself. He didn’t think it would’ve really gone over well with the contestants anyway. Picking up his own fork, Orin dug in. He was careful not to burn his tongue on the still hot pie or get the filling everywhere. Still it was hard, since if Orin would be so bold, it was one of the most delicious pies he’d ever eaten. Of course, Remi and Rondo were responsible for the recipe but Orin had been the one to actually implement this. Sooner than Orin would’ve expected possible, he polished off the pie. He scraped the last few crumbs up then rubbed his belly. ”Gods that was good. Nice job us. I might have ate just a bit too fast though. I’m stuffed!” Orin chuckled. It was definitely a satisfactory way to end the day.

OOCI think I hit everything we needed to but if I missed something let me know!
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Easy as Pie (Orin)

Postby Sayana on April 1st, 2015, 11:59 pm

“Actually I bet they’d be too in awe of your beauty to do anything but stare”

Sayana looked at the cook for a moment and then nodded. “Yes, I think they would be in awe of my beauty,” she replied with a straight face yet the glint in her eye hinted otherwise. When the cook began to protest at her offer of the blade, she cupped his hand firmly around it. “It’s yours. It’s already got a chip in it and I’ve got my other two. And if you want to go buy some others, I got these at the Iron Works.”

Sayana chuckled at Orin’s comments regarding Aren. It was hard to tell if the cook was actually being serious about the strangling or whether it was exaggerated. Still, she was pretty sure she could deal with Aren and let him know how very much she would disapprove if he hurt the cook more than just the casual sparring wound. “I’ll deal with Aren, and let him know that it’s nothing more than friendship between us.” For a fleeting moment she wondered how the cook would respond to a quick peck on the cheek. But then she decided that he would most likely hurt himself by jumping out of his skin or accidentally burning himself on the stove, or from the heat of his blush.

When Orin explained that it was actually a three-day trip instead of a six-day trip, Sayana let out a soft “ahh” in realization. “Yes, that makes much more sense. And it’s more reasonable too. I think Ser Kevith will let me leave for three days, but six sounded like a lot. I’ll do that tomorrow.” She mentally planned out how she might breach the topic with the old knight but at least it sounded like Orin had been talking about the possibility of going on a trip. She nodded as Orin suggested meeting at the stables. “And I’ll think of something fun to do involving dance,” she added with a smile. “Even still, I think the falls will be wondrous to see. I’ve never seen a waterfall.”

Sayana’s face lit up when Orin brought the pies over and gave her the go ahead to eat all she liked. Immediately she dug in and nearly burned her tongue in the process. “H-h-hot!” She spoke with a mouthful of pie in her mouth. For the second bite she was a lot more careful and blew on the small piece of pie before eating it. Mmm… It was heavenly. She had been half tempted to add some sort of spice to it, but it didn’t need it in the least. The more mild spice he used provided a lovely flavour. Did he say it was saffron? The apple was soft and tender and was all a delicious soft blend of flavours. She didn’t eat it quite as fast as Orin, but after the first few melt in your mouth bites, she sped up and soon polished off the pie. She let out an involuntary burp and then licked her lips. “So good. I can’t imagine it turning out better. I’m glad I won’t be performing for at least another bell or two.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Easy as Pie (Orin)

Postby Keene Ward on April 9th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Grades

“For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”
-Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

Orin

Skills
    Cooking +4
    Planning +5
    Observation +2
    Philosophy +1
    Organization +5
    Endurance +1
    Socialization +5
    Leadership +4
    Teaching +5
    Storytelling +3
    Interrogation +1
    Childcare +1
    Investigation +5
    Persuasion +5
    Acrobatics +1
    Rhetoric +5
    Weapon: Dagger +5
    Flirting +2
    Negotiation +5
    Intelligence +1
    Mathematics +1

Lores
    Akalaks: Year Long Pregnancies
    Baking: Properties of Egg Whites
    Baking: Properties of Egg Yolks
    Baking: Pie Filling
    Baking: Pie
    Dagger: Basic Throwing Grip
    Dagger: Proper Throwing Stance
    Dagger: Proper Aiming Technique
    Dagger: Proper Spin
    Dagger: Throwing Safety
    Cooking: Making Crust
    Cooking: Pitting Cherries
    Philosophy: Love's Proper Proximity
    Teaching: Citing Sources
    Teaching: Leading by Example
    Eypharians: Dancers Are Typically Concubines

Rewards/Consequences
+Sayana's Chipped Dagger

Notes
While you have the lore of "Edible Plants" of Syliras, this doesn't mean that Orin is necessarily aware of all the different uses of those herbs. Please try not to use lores without actually having them in the future.

This was a cute thread! It had good interactions, and I always like reading about skills that people seem to have a firm handle on (even if you're mostly google learned!). Good work and keep it up!

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Sayana

Skills
    Dual Wielding +4
    Observation +1
    Socialization +5
    Rhetoric +5
    Weapon: Dagger +4
    Planning +5
    Running +1
    Endurance +1
    Land Navigation +1
    Organization +5
    Investigation +5
    Intimidation +1
    Interrogation +1
    Cooking +5
    Storytelling +3
    Teaching +5
    Tactics +1
    Acting +1
    Negotiation +5
    Philosophy +1
    Cleaning +1
    Persuasion +5
    Flirting +1
    Mathematics +1

Lores
    Reimancy: Elemental Control
    Herbalism: Batonal for Internal Discomfort
    Herbalism: Delaviv for Deliveries
    Herbalism: Gigar for Colick
    Herbalism: Hammos for Stomach Pain
    Herbalism: "Midwife Miracles" Cureall
    Medicine: Suggested Diet for Nausea
    Cooking Tactics: Simplified Yolk Separation (Fingers)
    Cooking Tactics: Finger Tongs
    Cooking: Separating Yolks
    Cooking: Making Crust
    Cooking: Pies - Fit for Any Filling
    Baking: Attaining Proper Consistency of Dough
    Baking: Properties of Egg Whites
    Baking: Properties of Egg Yolks
    Baking: Pie
    Teaching: Constructive Criticism
    Teaching: Leading by Example
    Teaching: Repetition of Practice
    Teaching: Maintaining Empathy

Rewards/Consequences
-Loss of one Chipped Dagger

Notes
Very nice! You both had a ton of skills everywhere! Sayana cracks me up with that sass. Sass on, Sassmaster Sayana.

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Previous