[Alements] Having A Quiet Drink (Maddoch)

Kavala takes a break from work to people watch.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on April 27th, 2015, 1:38 am

Early Spring, 515 AV

Kavala had been a busy woman. Spring at The Sanctuary made for long days and even longer nights foaling out mares, pulling calves, and even minding newly hatched chickens. And if she didn't have enough to worry about on her own, clients were often bringing her their horses, cows, sheep, and goats to see to the birthing. Mostly she doctored the sick, comforted the pregnant, and then re-bred the animals on the first heat they came into after they had the little ones. Kavala skipped the foal heats on her mares, giving them a cycle or two to recover before she bred again. But that meant she had to be on top of things, and that made her work very very busy.

Thankfully this season she had apprentices. The two girls were very helpful and often got involved in things that needed doing without being asked. She'd set a curriculum for them, but under the chaos of the season that got set more or less aside in exchange for the front line battles going on around the facility. Birth that, save this... a prolapsed uterus here, a bull that had suddenly gone infertile there. Kavala felt like she'd been on the front lines lately... and so as soon as things had quieted down, she'd headed to Alements just to get out of the facility a while and relax.

She'd sailed, bringing the catamaran up to the dock and had tied The Dreamcatcher off against the stone pier that still sang to her. She'd stood quietly then, in her leathers and thigh-high boots, and bowed her head to listen to the stone song for a time... glad to be back in the familiar comfort of the city and out of her home for a bit.

Then she'd gone inside, ordered something strong and restorative, and had retreated to the edge of the stained glass windows made of stone she'd crafted for Alement's front entrance. Taking a table to the side, she'd leaned back, relaxed, and sipped at her drink to people watch.

It felt so strange coming to Riverfall. She felt like she hadn't been to town in ages. Stretching one long leg out in front of her and stretching out to get more comfortable, Kavala wondered suddenly who all the strangers were working the little tavern and why she didn't recognize most of them. The Konti watched with eyes so pale blue she almost looked blind. Caelum obviously wasn't about, perhaps busy with his sidework again. She knew he was creating a sort of slave route, taking over where the rattling chains had left the void. But she was uncertain of the details and confused if he was actually running slaves or freeing them. They'd need to talk soon, catch up on things, and reconnect. She saw him once in a while, but he was so busy these days... no busier than her though.

Kavala would be glad when spring was over. She took a sip of her restorative and sighed, wiling herself to relax and see who actually was about. It would be nice to meet someone new, have some conversation, perhaps even go find some fun in the city itself.

Last edited by Kavala on April 28th, 2015, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Achenar on April 27th, 2015, 9:49 pm

“Another pitcher of ale!” A girl proclaimed, sloshing her liquor in her mug as the others giggled. She reeked of alcohol, and her skin had a sheen of sweat on it that glistened under the natural light. Convenient, really, that she was in Alements of all places to get smashed.

“How about juice instead?” Maddoch smirked, smoothing his high-waisted, black apron. The gesture caught the eye of two of the girls who giggled wildly, much to the amusement of the ethaefal.

The chocolate-haired girl promptly shook her head, swaying in her seat with a lewd grin. “Why don’t we share some Wake-Up Wine, huh? Doesn’t that sound grrrreaaat?” That brought a gasp from the red haired maiden, who slapped her wrist. “You’re already betrothed, Rosie!”

“Oh shaddup!” She gestured a hand dismissively, inciting banter between the three.

“I’ll get the juice then,” Maddoch mumbled, and strode toward the bar; catching the eye of the ever pleasant Elise who returned a stare that could have been inferred as annoyance. He offered her a shrug and with the pitcher of juice retrieved, he brought it to the table of audacious girls, and slipped off before they could notice. They would likely end up a mess of vomit on the floor soon enough, and damned if he had to clean that up.

He tended to observe, even as he worked in this well-constructed establishment, in the city of blue men. He could never be too sure that a rat for his old master wasn’t scrounging around in a corner, seeking his whereabouts and plans like a child seeking sweets. He never thought to consider that he was afraid, he had no time to be afraid. So he had to trudge onwards, seeking power, seeking information, anything he could glean to make sure he was damn well ahead.

The ethaefal’s eyes roamed the room, having paused in a momentary lapse of attention. He noticed the newest arrival in a quiet corner. A Konti. He was inexpressive as he observed her, only able to deduce from her corded muscles and the way she moved that she was likely far more experienced in life than he.

His eyes dropped to the rugs, feigning anything but assurance as he approached her with his notepad in hand.

“Do you require a refill, ma’am? Or anything else from the menu?” He asked her, in a tone that denoted a familiarity in service.

Petch customer service.
Achenar
Everybody lies

Words: 128093
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on April 29th, 2015, 3:27 am

The Konti had an odd look on her face as she ran a finger around the rim of her restorative drink and contemplated the crowd. Her eyes had a far-off look that perhaps only Caelum would recognize. She was halfway enthralled with the dock outside, the stone singing to her because she hadn't visited it enough as its creator. Living at home, in her stone fortress, the earth around her knew her and its voice - its music - was dimmer. She wasn't disturbed there. Here though, there was so much around her that was of her, including the big windows, and she'd been away far too long.

It gave her the look of someone lost in their own thoughts who's mind was a million miles away. That couldn't be further from the truth though. Kavala tried to block out the seductive hum of the stonesong as a waiter approached. He was easy on the eyes - indeed everyone Caelum surrounded himself with usually was - and had the grace of one of his kind. And yet... there was something about him that annoyed her. She couldn't put her finger on it until he was standing right at her table... staring at the rug.

Staring at the rug. Yes. That was it. He wasn't even looking at her, but at the rug, and thus addressing the rug. Gods. Kavala almost swore.

"Are you speaking to me or the rug?"
She asked. "I imagine plenty of people get liquored up and water the rug more than enough as is. I doubt it wants to buy itself a drink." The Konti added, more for her own benefit than his. She was speaking out loud and wondering a bit at why she was doing so.

"Busy place tonight... " Kavala added, more to give the server time to recover than anything else. He seemed.... meek? Cowed? Kavala glanced at Elise and raised an eyebrow then pointedly glanced at the server. The pretty little ex-slave just shrugged and made a gesture... as if to say 'your on your own' and kept on with what she was doing wiping the bar down.

"I'm Kavala. And I'm a bit hungry. What's good tonight?" She asked, pushing her drink forward. "It's tea... with a restorative in it. I could probably just use a straight tea refill... chilled, not hot?" She asked, lifting a pale eyebrow.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Achenar on April 29th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Maddoch blinked, and glanced at Kavala. Interesting; perhaps she didn’t enjoy the subservient types like the others he had catered to in the past. He’d intended to appear unassuming and harmless and found it ineffective in this case. But her remark, despite having sounded like a chide, made the ethaefal’s lips curl in a half smile. She was a strong presence. He bowed to her in apology.

“I was only making sure there weren’t any more wet gifts left around your table, ma’am,” he offered. “Though I’m sure the rug gets despondent from all the bile it has to deal with,” he added, with a touch of humor.

He would have mentioned that he’d been taught such ways before; to keep one’s head downcast in the presence of one’s betters, to remain complacent, subservient, quiet, humble, and meek. But he doubted in this case that it was necessary, and assumed she’d shrug away such an excuse in nonchalance. Because that was what it was, an excuse, and Maddoch disliked such things.

“Kavala?” He remarked, testing the name. He was familiar with it from a list of people Caelum had specifically written down. A very important person. “It’s a pleasure. My name is Maddoch,” he returned, only feeling it appropriate to mention his own name since she offered hers.

“The clam chowder is the specialty on the menu tonight, is that suitable? I will happily fetch you a refill.”

It was never surprising to him how easy it was to settle into a catering role.

These were the only times he deigned to be passive. It wouldn’t do to piss off the world before wriggling out of the novice stage.

"How long have you known Caelum?" He asked her abruptly, though he only meant it as a curiosity, between decisions. The woman had all of the natural beauty of a konti. Maddoch idly wondered if the relationship between them involved clean linen sheets in the morning. But that was a question best left alone.

oocAhaha, I had a laugh about the rug. I facepalmed!
Achenar
Everybody lies

Words: 128093
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)