[Traverse's Scrapbook] Movie Reviews and Mayhem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Traverse on May 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm

A look at

Overview: I personally am quite the fan of the aging Murray's movie roles as of late. Whether he's taking part in a Wes Anderson film, or cameo-ing as himself in Zombieland he just gives me the impression of going from comedy to trying more serious films, to now just having fun, and I think he does a great job. If you enjoy Bill Murray at all his presence alone in this movie should sell you, and he does not disappoint.

Plot: There are a lot of movies that take on the plot of the older gruff man, or the male loner that is aided in some way by a younger element changing his life to one degree or another: About a Boy and Gran Torino immediately spring to my mind here. Bill Murray plays a grumpy loner with some major financial issues with a soft side to be revealed later. Naomi Watts plays a pregnant prostitute/ stripper that accompanies him much of the time, and Melissa McCarthy plays an overwhelmed single mom who works as an X-Ray tech and doesn't have as much time for her son as she should, thus leading him into an unlikely babysitting experience with Bill Murray, and thus the movie takes off.

Thoughts: I have enjoyed basically all of Melissa McCarthy's roles, but she has been pretty effectively type casted, and in this movie I found her character portrayal and personality rewarding and refreshing. Noami Watts is pretty hilarious, and Bill Murray makes for a very endearing sort of twisted father figure for a quite adorable young boy. The movie has a lot to offer in the way of messages, what makes a person bad or good, or in this case a St., and all three main adults in the film are dealing with intense life situations, while interacting and growing with the rather lost boy caught up in the middle of it all and also trying to find his way in the world. You are given a lot of cringe worthy situations as Murray brings his young charge gambling, horse racing, and to seedy joints, but as with this type of film, you get to experience the slow bonding of two very different entities brought together by loneliness or abandonment in some way, taking solace from each other, and each teaching and being taught.

St. Vincent is one of those films that has a little of everything. A little crass, funny, heartwarming, emotional, and just an engaging story that gets you invested in everyone involved. I highly recommend giving it a watch :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on May 5th, 2015, 1:40 pm

A three movie review in the following order: Home, It Follows (5:22), and Avengers: Age of Ultron (10:46)

Edit: This is the link to a very cool article detailing the meaning behind Avengers Age of Ultron. I would only recommend reading it if you have already seen the movie or know 100% that you aren't going to, as it is spoiler laden, but a very insightful and fascinating read.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aventis on May 11th, 2015, 12:31 am

Okay, so... I know this isn't usually what you do, but there's a ten-part miniseries that recently aired on Cartoon Network and concluded some months ago and was absolutely gorgeous aesthetically, was pretty damn awesome story-wise, and was absolutely loaded with symbolism and foreshadowing. I would love to hear your take on Over the Garden Wall.

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on May 21st, 2015, 1:33 am

AventisI had never before heard of Over the Garden Wall until going to Anime Boston this year and seeing my friend's reactions at people cosplaying as characters from the show. I can't promise how soon I'll get to it, but it is on the long list of things I want to watch :)

Overview: There are movies that I just know I'm going to enjoy when I see a trailer. Mad Max: Fury Road is a film I have been eagerly awaiting since I first heard Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy were going to be in it, my feelings only enhanced when I discovered Nicholas Hoult was also in it. Now to preface this, and to many people's distress I have never watched a Mad Max movie before this, something I plan on rectifying very shortly, but as I have mentioned before and will again, I rarely get too hung up on re-makes and re-dos of things. That's the way the movie industry is going, and the way it will most likely stay, and if there is ever a case of a re-vamp being acceptable I think Fury Road gets a pass, as it is a project George Miller has been trying to get off the ground since 1998 right around the time Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was released. I think it was personally very much worth the wait.

Plot: The fact that the plot is really centered around Charlize Theron's character Imperator Furiosa has spurred some delightfully ignorant insults about the film being some bit of feminist propaganda. That is all I will say on the matter, though George Miller had good reasons for making the movie thusly. If you've seen any trailers you have probably gotten the gist of the plot, but basically Furiosa smuggles out a really fun warlord's prized breeders on a standard mission for the bloke, going off course and sending the crazed inhabitants of this post apocalyptic corner of Australia into utter mayhem. Nicholous Hoult's character Nux is a one of the Warlord's 'War Boys' who is injured but can't stand to miss the action and Max as a universal blood donor is dragged along as his blood bag. And thus the nearly non stop action of the movie begins.

Thoughts: This movie beat out Age of Ultron for me with enjoyment levels, mostly I think because with Avengers I knew what I was getting, and despite enjoying it immensely it was nothing new to my movie going palette. I really can't help but smile any time I think of it, but this film was like a giant middle finger from George Miller to all others who have been making Post Apocolyptic movies after he really started the trend with the original Mad Max series. 'Oh you've been trying for 20 years doing the same thing over and over again? Well I'm going to take the same franchise I started with and blow all of your projects out of the water'. In addition to the standard wall of animators you see in the credits, you will notice auto technicians and gun makers. Everything they could make without CGI in the movie they did. Giant sandstorm? Can't make that happen, so we'll let the animators do it, but blowing up cars and making them flip over themselves 5 times before exploding? That's doable. The visuals are stunning, the creations from outfits to cars to strongholds are eye catching and innovative. The music brought you up and down riding the highs and lows along with the explosions and shoot outs. Theron's performance alone is worth the trip to the movie, and Tom Hardy does a pretty fantastic job. I found Nicholas Hoult's character sort of crazy icing on an already insane cake. In all the re-makes and movies based off of 'true stories' or books despite my enjoyment overall of most any cinematic experience, its rare to find something that pushes out, gives you a 'new' experience if that is even possible, and if it is Mad Max: Fury Road comes pretty damn close. This is a movie you shouldn't miss in theaters to see the action on the big scale it deserves, and if you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tanna on May 21st, 2015, 5:30 am

Okay, what is your address so I can expedite these over to you right this second ;)

No, but really, great review. As someone who has yet to see the movie, I'm totally stoked that people who have never seen the originals (especially those over in the States) have taken to it so well. I also like the idea that it's more about Furiosa rather than Max which, as you mentioned, got quite a few man-panties in a twist. The world George created way back when was amazing and it looks as if it has only gotten better and I couldn't be happier. I will miss young Mel but I'm eager to see how Hardy goes. My partner is apprehensive about him since, like me, it's hard to think of anyone but young Mel as Max but he's equally excited to get out and see it in theaters so that's something! Now I'm even more amped than before to see it so thank you c:
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on May 27th, 2015, 11:12 pm

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on June 15th, 2015, 9:25 pm

A look at
Wait Until Dark (French poster title fail)

Overview: I really should get some older classics in here. I always enjoy old movies, there is often more reverence to film back when it was still this sort of miraculous thing, and not when everyone was just trying to outdo each other with crazy explosions, plying the masses with attractive figures and shallow plots. That aside this movie was recommended to me from a top 10 list of underrated horror movies, and with that to go on I leapt into Wait Until Dark.

Plot: So this film is not horror in what probably first springs to mind when one considers the word. Taking into consideration the time period and the age of the film (1967), it is easy to see how it was very much a horror movie back in the day, and is a quite chilling and gripping story. Audrey Hepburn's character Susy is a young blind woman living with her husband in Montreal, and through various circumstances becomes involved in a plot between three gentlemen to find and retrieve a doll stuff with cocaine that was giving to her husband unbeknownst to him. Hepburn is the victim of a fairly intricate and alarming con, and you watch as she slowly unravels what is going on around her even without her sight to guide her.

Thoughts: This movie has a slow start, taking its time (back to that reverence bit) to introduce all the players in the film and get you comfortable with them and their roles. An Alan Arkin so young I barely recognized him plays the sort of master mind behind the whole ordeal and there is quite the character juxtaposition between Arkin's sleazy manipulative character and Hepburn's enigmatic if a bit naive protagonist.

The movie does a great job setting the mood and making its audience as anxious as possible as it goes on. Though you long for a happy ending, the idea of this is constantly brought into question. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a change up to either horror, mystery, or crime-centric movies in general. Hepburn was nominated for Best Actress in this film and with very good reason.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on June 15th, 2015, 9:40 pm

A look at

Pre-amble: So for all my movie knowledge, there are many many many cinematic adventures I have not seen, a lot that I probably should have, like the original Mad Max movies (picked up Road Warrior/Thunderdome combo at FYE so reviews coming soon on those!). This is another movie that I guess is considered a bit of a classic? I missed the memo on that, but at some point I am always game for a classic Highschool coming of age tale so while painting some pottery I flipped it on and began to catch up on another classic.

Plot: This film really seems to be the epidemy of 'first world problems' as we follow the preppy main character Cher (Alicia Silverstone) and get a tour of her virtually perfect life where she is the most popular, fashionable thing on campus, and can even coerce, cajole, and argue her grades into better standing, an act that makes her father the litigator quite proud indeed. So her problem (?) comes in the form of in the most selfish way possible trying to help others, and focuses in on a new girl at school as Cher and her friend(s) make her into a carbon copy of themselves, a apparently insurmountable task. Insert Paul Rudd as a college age step brother, and a few other familiar faces (namely Donald Faison) and you have yourself a quirky cast ready to make some highschool memories or what have you.

Thoughts: So I honestly wasn't expecting much out of this movie except highly out of date wardrobes (check to the max on that), but found myself very pleasantly surprised all around. Firstly I did not know Paul Rudd was in this and that would have changed my mind about the film quite swiftly, as I rather adore him. Aside from that, however, I quite enjoyed myself throughout the whole film. Cher's personality and very stereotypical traits grate on the nerves at first, but then settle into familiar territory until over the course of the movie she does a bit of growing, and you do as well, slowly identifying with her as well. Her father was a character I absolutely loved, something about the ornery single father that lets his daughter care for him that really worked throughout the film, and the entire cast engages you, whether by annoying you or endearing themselves to you. Another one that is a bit on the older side, but I was very glad I watched.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on June 15th, 2015, 10:52 pm

A look at

Pre-amble: I have been eagerly awaiting this film since I first caught wind of it, and it is clear I was not the only one, as Jurassic World now has won out the biggest opening weekend for a movie in history. I think everyone quite loves the concept, and for all the re-makes and re-vamps gracing our theatres I feel as if not very many people can be upset about a new dinosaur movie, a category that has been quite sparse in the wave of zombies, dystopian futures, and Avenger blockbusters.

Plot: The plot is pretty well covered in the trailers but in case you haven't seen them I shall elucidate you ;). Basically Jurassic World has done well for itself, but as is the life of money grabbing corporations, they needed more, and in order to really give the park a new wow factor to re-invigorate crowds, the scientists int he dino-labs cooked together a toothy, spiny, scary as hell new dinosaur and dubbed it Indominus Rex. Of course as all plans involving creating scary monsters goes, it totally backfires and voila, we get to watch dinosaurs maim and murder people!

Thoughts: As an individual always in love with Dinosaurs, growing up with Jurassic Park, Land Before Time, We're Back, BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs, Primeval, etc, my opinion was set walking into this movie, cemented with Chris Pratt's role, I mean an individual training a velociraptor squad? Sold.

That being said I'll jump into a bit about the characters as there is quite the little cast to get acquainted with. BD Wong makes a reprisal of his role as a scientist from the original park, and the new owner makes plenty of remarks about how his position was gained from Hammond himself. I was quite pleased to see Jake Johnson (Nick to any New Girl fans out there) in this as a bigger role than I was anticipating, playing the part of the ever important snarky tech guy. Because I can't recall his name the fellow that plays Wilson Fisk in Netflix's new Darevil series plays the part of the overbearing military persona. If you haven't seen Daredevil yet I would highly recommend it, as the character he plays in the show is highly superior to this much more one dimensional role, however he does a good job at the ignorant dick.

Chris Pratt is obviously the highlight of the four main characters; Owen the velociraptor trainer, Claire (Bryce Howard) the uptight individual apparently in charge of keeping everything running, and the two boys, Claire's nephews that come to the Park for a family trip. Pratt is at his peak in the smart talking role of the person with the most sense of the whole movie, but Howard catches up after things really start hitting every fan.

What I always hope for in one of these films is to be introduced to new and different dinosaurs, and apart from the spliced rex we do not get much of that, but this is made up for quite a bit with the raptor focus, Blue is probably my favorite character in the movie, and even given what I would consider quite a lot of character development for a velociraptor.

There is a distinct lack of realism, especially at the end of the film, but if you're like me and enjoy movies about the resurrection of dionsaurs, I don't think you'll mind it overly much. Jurassic World is an exciting, action pack, and graphically compelling movie with some nice nods to the first film of the franchise and and really this review can be summed up with three words:

Chris Pratt + Velociraptors = Awesome
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Achenar on June 30th, 2015, 2:04 am

This was the fanart I never finished, detailing what SHOULD have happened at the end of ME3, in my head. :nod:

Secret :
Achenar
Everybody lies

Words: 128093
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext