Shielding and Hypotism

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Shielding and Hypotism

Postby Orin Fenix on June 3rd, 2015, 7:26 pm

So a question came up about whether or not Shielding can be used to defend against Hypnotism. If it can, does it have to be specifically tasked against the Hypnotist or would a shield against Djed or magic be enough?
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Shielding and Hypotism

Postby Rayage on June 3rd, 2015, 7:38 pm

A shields primary purpose is to block djed/magic. So as long as the shielder is a higher level than the hypnotist, I think that it would block the magic (in this case hypnotism). To Task a shield is to block something other than magic (IE senses, weapons, et).
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Shielding and Hypotism

Postby Vizayas on June 3rd, 2015, 7:42 pm

Thank you, Rayage. I was curious about that as well. I do have another question related to Shielding, but with Auristics. Could a Shield prevent Auristics from reading your aura?
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Words: 113870
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shielding and Hypotism

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 3rd, 2015, 7:52 pm

I'm fairly certain I recall Gossamer saying awhile back in chat that in order to block hypnotism with shielding, you'd have to more or less isolate yourself. I might be misremembering, but I'm fairly certain thats what she said.

I think it was something to do with the fact that hypnotism can be expressed by various senses, or touch, or such, and so just a basic djed shield wouldn't be enough to block hypnotism.

So... I think it'd be possible, but you'd have to do it by cutting off all sense or some such.

Which might work for say hypno proofing a room, but would be less useful on a person.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Shielding and Hypotism

Postby Rayage on June 3rd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Clyde Sullins wrote:
I'm fairly certain I recall Gossamer saying awhile back in chat that in order to block hypnotism with shielding, you'd have to more or less isolate yourself. I might be misremembering, but I'm fairly certain thats what she said.

I think it was something to do with the fact that hypnotism can be expressed by various senses, or touch, or such, and so just a basic djed shield wouldn't be enough to block hypnotism.

So... I think it'd be possible, but you'd have to do it by cutting off all sense or some such.

Which might work for say hypno proofing a room, but would be less useful on a person.

This is getting a bit complicated XD I know hypnotism can effect the senses (at higher levels- ie the Hallucination) and I know that hypnotism can be expressed through the senses, but if the sense, lets says the sense of hearing, isnt blocked that means hypnotism can get through since its expressed through words?

That like kind of defeats the purpose of having a djed shield to begin with if it doesnt block the djed which are intertwined with the words (of the hypnotist). I was working on the false assumption that the djed shield just automatically blocks all forms of magic that can be projected from the caster. I suppose if you knew hypnotism you would need to specifically task it against the magic then, to prevent yourself from having to cut yourself off from all your senses (can you do that?)?

Then again, I know the shielding article has been due for an update for a while now. Im just hoping the idea of shielding gets expressed a bit more clearly.

Thank you so much for you nugget of info Clyde! That is interesting and I hadnt considered that >.>''

Vizayas wrote:Thank you, Rayage. I was curious about that as well. I do have another question related to Shielding, but with Auristics. Could a Shield prevent Auristics from reading your aura?

I do not think that a shield can block Auristics. The only way to prevent having your aura read accurately would to be to master auristics and suppress it yourself. Then again, I DO NOT know for sure. I just dont think it would not be that easy to suppress your aura with a shield, when it takes master in auristics to even begin to play around with it (the arua).
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)