Solo Lamentation.

A weird night out gets weirder.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Lamentation.

Postby Archailist on May 18th, 2015, 10:13 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

50th of Spring, 515.

His claws struggled to find purchase in the gaps between the layers of bark; whenever they did, the weight of his body was too great and they couldn't hold for very long. He didn't like this new method of climbing but there was no doubt that it couldn't work much faster, once he got the hang of it. Another slip and he nearly tumbled straight out of the tree, erasing nearly half a bell of hard work in a few ticks - again. Another long, tiring day of training had breezed past like a speeding slug and left behind a sticky trail of lethargy threatening to glue his nexus in a constant state of brooding depression - something that'd become almost a norm over the past few days. It wasn't the weather.. it wasn't even the training, really. Just something that'd cropped up, unceremoniously.

Naturally, retiring to the Bronze Woods followed quickly afterwards. It wasn't as crowded and noisy as the Squire Dorms could be after a long day; not to mention that it didn't smell anywhere near as bad. With his mind otherwise occupied though, climbing was suddenly so much harder than before. Yet again, his claws dug into a safe little enclave between thick chunks of bark but as soon as he tried to lever himself up to the next point, his claws bent down the middle and slipped free - scrabbling for the space before proved fruitless as well. If he didn't find a gap his upper body was going to topple out of reach and he'd fly down head-first. Ledge, come on, something, anything, just hold! Grabbing onto one chunk with both paws dug in tight around the edges just about held long enough to find new spots and move away before it, too, crumbled away.

His legs were really straining from the effort of holding the rest of his body for so long. Both arms were tired from the sudden near-death experience. Urgh. He couldn't even climb a tree any more. And what good is a squirrel that can't climb its tree? It was time to get down and go home. He couldn't tell what bell of the evening it was yet but Leth's glow was peeping over the side of Stormhold. When he'd left the castle, Syna's light was still high in the sky. He was out far too late already; another day waited tomorrow and if he wasn't mentally prepared for it, he'd do just as terrible as he'd done today. Sometimes, it made him feel like quitting squirehood altogether. Going back to doing what he'd already done, traveling where he wanted, doing what he wanted. Not being held back by the stupid, arbitrary rules of the knights that said that he wasn't allowed to save someone's life.

He was still angry over that night. Multiple halves of his nexus argued back and forth over it like a huddle of children arguing over who gets to play with the new toy. A large majority knew that he was in the wrong. Other parts claimed it was the knights who were wrong. Yet more said both were wrong; one small part questioned whether anyone at all was wrong or right, though that part wasn't given any attention at all and told to sit in the corner quietly while big children talked. Funny, because it wasn't even related to what the real problem was.. not even close. Just another thing to feel a little bitter about. A false justification that he could use to lie to himself with, when he needed some comfort from the bigger problems.

Not an escape from them though. Just a blanket to hide under, where he could pretend they didn't exist. Still, better than nothing when the time came.. and it would.. to stand up for himself and face his problems. A back-up plan, he'd call it. Everyone needed one of those when the going got rough and heads started rolling. Something to cover his back while he ran away from Syliras and found a new life for himself somewhere else, somewhere quiet and peaceful. Maybe he'd go on a boat and find a new life on a little island somewhere, in a little cave, mining for clay. Petch, when did he get so weird.

The trance broke - and he found himself at the bottom of the tree, staring up at it. Hold on. When did I get down?
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lamentation.

Postby Archailist on May 18th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Shaking his head did no good. Hitting himself a few times on the side of the head didn't do it either. Eventually he just threw away all attempts at keeping his head together and begun walking. With Leth's light in full bloom, he could just about see through the shade of the trees back the way he'd come. He never liked venturing too deep into the Woods, especially not by himself. Nothing interesting to be found there, not to mention not deadly.. not to say the same couldn't be said for the outer fringes of the woods, but there was a smaller likelihood of stumbling across Balicani, running off previous experience and all that. He'd be back in Stormhold within the bell if he kept up the pace.

That was, if his cluttered thoughts didn't once again. "Petching shut up." Oh yes, talk to yourself, that'll prove your sanity. "Maybe if you could shut up I wouldn't have to." You're the one that started this. "Now I'm finishing it." This wasn't healthy. Somewhere, somehow the rest of his nexus had crawled out from whichever space it'd been locked up inside, taken hold of the reins and drawn his concentration back to the matter at hand. That little voice disappeared as quickly as it came.. but it'd come back again, just like last time, he could be sure of that. "And it's official. I'm insane." Well, the first step to combating insanity is to stop talking as if there's someone else there to hear it. Good plan.

A rustle drew his attention off to the far right but in the wide shadows cast by the overhanging branches, he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Still, he picked up the pace a fraction; if anyone was out at this time of night then they weren't friendly. More likely, they were going to be an 'it'. Maybe multiple 'its' if he wasn't lucky. Doubtful that they'd find him appetizing but he still wasn't tempted to hang around and try his luck. Maybe if he'd not spent so much time trying to climb the tree then he wouldn't be out so late. Maybe if training wasn't so damn repetitive and worthless. Maybe if-- Maybe if a lot of things happened then he'd be living as the ruler of a castle instead of the assistant to one of its guards.

Another rustle. Far right, a tick longer than before. He stopped mid-stride and turned to face the small cluster of bushes that blocked his vision but he couldn't see anything through them.. no glint of predatory eyes, no more noise, nothing. Could be a small rodent, could be a mouse or a rat or a hedgehog or a badger.. or it could be a bear. Whatever it was, he was completely unarmed since by the end of training he'd decided to never see his Py-Pole ever again as long as he lived. Apparently that might be a shorter time than he'd wished.

This time the rustle came just before he was ready to turn back and continue walking. It wasn't a mouse, that was for certain. The entire bush wobbled as a dark shape passed between the narrow gaps in the leaves, sleek and powerful and big. He couldn't make out many details but there was something about the way that it moved and the shape of its body that called out something familiar. Like his little Sykanis dog, Xarex, only beefed up like Iros after a hard work-out. If it was anything like Xarex, it wouldn't like eating clay, so that was some relief.. not a massive one but it was a start. You know what would be really helpful? Climbing a tree. "I swear, I'm going to reach into my own nexus and pull you out."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lamentation.

Postby Archailist on May 18th, 2015, 11:33 pm

After standing on one foot like an idiot for several ticks, the wolf finally reared its head and emerged. Dark eyes glittered as it stared with its mouth hanging open, tongue dipping off to the side in an almost comical way. Well, there were only two logical outcomes.. either the wolf wanted to make friends or it wanted to eat him, despite the fact that he most certainly did not smell of squirrel.. or indeed any animal at all. Who knew, maybe it just couldn't smell.. or maybe it was some special breed of idiotic wolf that couldn't tell whether a lump of clay was not food. He didn't know and the more he thought about it, the less he cared.. because thinking just brought him back to the whole reason he'd left the safety of Stormhold.

"If you're gonna eat me, you might as well do it now." First talking to myself, now a wolf. At least the wolf might understand you. The voice really was just trying to make him annoyed and damn it knew exactly how to do it as well. Not only could it push all the buttons, it could rewrite what the buttons did too. For its part, the wolf just stood there and seemed content to hold a staring contest. Arch stared right back. Maybe the wolf would understand that a squirrel staring back meant that this wasn't something to be eaten.. but maybe his lack of pupils and other things made it a little more difficult to gauge reactions. "Come on, I haven't got all night, either eat me or petch off because I'm not getting any younger here."

He spread his arms in a mimic of a threatening gesture he'd seen somewhere and the wolf edged closer to sniff at his face. Maybe it was catching on, who knew? "Yeah, alright, now get lost." Apparently this wolf didn't understand the meaning of 'personal space'. It kept looming closer and closer, sniffing all over until its nose was practically rubbing right in his face. Any other day and he'd be quite happy to sit there and let it do as it wished but he really, really wanted to leave now. Little difficult with the huge wolf nudging against him whenever he tried to step around its massive face. The more he tried, the more insistent the nudges became, until his balance was nearly tipped over in one particularly rough shove.

"Just... get lost you DAMN MUTT!" Tired and fed-up with himself and the wolf, he grabbed one side of its muzzle with both paws and gave it a hard shove. Apparently it didn't like that, because the very next moment its jaws opened wide with a snarl and the wolf got a good taste of clay squirrel midsection. Thick, sharp canine teeth dug hard into his clay and he clenched down as hard as he could on all angles to minimize the impact, though it kept on chewing with bigger, stronger bites. He could feel deep dents working into his side, down the length of one arm and through both legs.. his head was still inside the mouth and brushing over and over against its thick, fleshy tongue.

Without really thinking, he gave the wolf a taste of its own damn medicine and bit back. His teeth didn't have much impact - didn't even draw blood - but it was enough of a shock for a yelp to temporarily deafen him as the clenching jaws released his slightly-mangled body. The nose came back immediately afterwards and got exactly the same treatment. As soon as it came close enough, he lashed forwards and bit down on its nose.. after reinforcing his teeth with more clay to give it a better impact. Another yelp and it backed off a few steps to give him some breathing space. Thank Sylir. He could assess the damage. Minor, no clay lost.. though there were a few deep pockmarks lining his midsection that'd take longer to restore.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lamentation.

Postby Archailist on May 19th, 2015, 12:03 am

After a little struggle to squeeze clay back into one leg left quite mangled, he wobbled back onto unsteady feet and pointed back at the wolf now left licking its nose. "Yeah, how'd that go for you, huh? Didn't taste too good?" You're really showing it who's boss. Now tell it that it's mother is fat. "Bite me." I'd rather not, knowing where you've been. He could still feel thick droplets of saliva rolling down his arms and chest. Disgusting stuff that clung to the small nuances under his arms and between his fingers. He'd need a bath if he didn't want to go around the rest of the week smelling of wolf-breath. Speaking of wolf-breath, it seemed his big friend was finally backing off, learning a valuable lesson; talking squirrels were certainly not food.

Though as it retreated, he caught glimpses of other piercing eyes staring out from the bushes. "Yeah, let's see if the rest of you find me as appetizing!" His shouts didn't seem to agitate them and before long, one by one, they'd vanished once more. "Off you go, take your friends with you!" Picking up a small clump of dirt with a few little shards of stone in it, he tossed it after the wolves and heard it splatter off the leaves.. but nothing came from it. "Cowards." Strange how one by itself was so much more confident than the rest working together as a group. At the same moment, it wasn't at all.

And so 'the reason' reared its ugly head again. The reason he'd come out in the first place. A boomerang of negative, lonely thoughts that even a pack of hungry wolves didn't find appetizing enough to consume. Even the wolves that tried to eat him had more friends. "And this is one reason why I don't have friends." Looking at the obscure and ridiculous things as though they actually had meaning.. what a great idea. No. The reason you don't have friends is because all your friends are either leaving you, or you've left. You spent so much time focusing on the knighthood that when you arrived at it you realized that you had nothing else. "And you are the other reason I don't have friends!" Bet I could make more friends than you. "Nope." I so could! "Well tough, you're not." Try and stop me. "Can you just, like, go to wherever it is you go between torturing me with your nonsense, please?"

It wasn't a few chimes later that he emerged into the open grass border between the Kabrin Road and the outer edges of the woods. With his slight 'detour' he'd taken quite a bit longer than expected but he'd still make it back in time to get some good sleep, hopefully.. maybe if he woke up early enough in the morning, he might be able to slip a quick dip in at the Soothing Waters to wash off the stench and already-dry saliva. If he was even more lucky, he might actually be able to get back into Stormhold. The doors normally closed at this time didn't they? Maybe he'd be able to climb up a small section of the wall and find some comfort in a little gap. Might not be as comfortable as his normal bed but hey, it'd be better than sleeping on the ground and risking another wolf getting curious and failing to understand the differences between a real squirrel and a Pycon.

Now, if he could get around the knights running night patrols and manning the walls on top of that, he'd be set for the night. No embarrassing explanations to his patron.. hopefully nobody would even notice he was gone. "Hey!" Oh great. Why was there a big, muscled, red Akalak riding towards him?
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Lamentation.

Postby Sayana on June 4th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Archailist

Skills:
Skill EXP
Climbing +1
Endurance +1
Philosophy +1
Planning +1
Land Navigation +2
Intimidation +2
Brawling +2

Lores:
  • Climbing: Vertical climbing of a tree
  • Backup plan for squirehood: little island mining for clay
  • It's official. I'm insane.
  • Endurance: Being bitten by a wolf

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+0

Total: +0 Shield Points

Comments :
As random as it was, it was an amusing read. Squirehood is really getting to Arch. I didn’t think it quite counted as training so I didn’t award any shield points.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message (like really, I’m all ears if you feel like I missed something).

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)