Solo The First of Summer

There is much work to do.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

The First of Summer

Postby Arandia on June 4th, 2015, 6:07 am

I Summer DXV

Zulrav announced the coming of summer with a roaring laugh that echoed across the Sea of Grass and jolted Arandia awake. It was a few bells before dawn and the world was dark, quiet except for the startled lowing from the small herd of Zibri stirring under their tarps. She could have closed her eyes for a few more precious moments of sleep, but the lightning must have struck her heart; Arandia awoke restless and full of a strange longing. She dressed in the dark, relishing the rare, languid feeling of being awake before anyone else; the quiet of the pavilion, the rustling of leaves, and the dew tickling her feet as she stepped out on to the grass.

A bit of dark blue had already begun to throb behind the black of the night sky. The stars were out in full pageant, Arandia saw, and the constellations spun over Mizahar's sleepy head. It would be a hot day, Arandia predicted. The sky was clear and the air was crisp and sharp. Gulping it in was like chewing mint leaves in the back of her mouth.

She lit a lantern, finally, and made her way to where her Zibri calf, a weaner she named Karnia, was tied to a tree beside her stallion, Beloved. The Strider and the weaner were both on their feet, Karnia shifting her weight nervously around as she made high-pitched, almost bleating noises in her throat. "Ya, ya," Arandia murmured soothingly, putting her free hand on the calf's muzzle. "Did the lightning frighten you?" Beloved nickered at Arandia in greeting and put his nose in her hair, huffed her scent of bed roll and grass. Arandia put her lamp down to free both of her hands and give a hand to each animal. "Are you hungry? We need to eat a lot today. There's much work to do."

The Ankal, Drehkos Reddawn, had three wives, all of them younger than the first. When Ioanis Reddawn passed on to the next life, Ehileen, his first wife and a woman from the Opal Clan, married Drehkos and became his third. Ehileen at twenty-two was a healer, and kind, and whenever she was in the kitchen with the first wife, Sarai of the Emerald Clan, Ehileen would slip Arandia a small extra piece of something to eat. They were careful not to be caught by Sarai who was a large woman with biceps the size of Arandia's head. Not fat, but bulked up with muscles from hunting, butchering and cooking. She was stingy in her portions except when it came to her two young sons who at eight and ten were already two times larger than Sarai and four times larger than Arandia.

The second wife, Juniper, was from the Diamond Clan and a fierce young woman who was around Arandia's age. She already had twin daughters and a son who she was raising to be as fierce as she was. Arandia steered clear of Juniper; the third wife was the most openly contemptuous of Arandia, often calling her "foreigner" and telling Arandia not to touch her children. That wasn't uncommon, almost all of the women in the pavilion told their children to avoid touching her or they would catch her foreignness, but most of them did that when they thought Arandia couldn't see or hear them.

The Ankal's mother, Grewilde of the Topaz Clan, was the oldest woman in the pavilion. She had had the most children and borne the most sons, most of them already grown. It was said that Drehkos listened to her counsel the most when settling disputes within the pavilion.

And then there was Maya, the Ankal's eldest daughter. The most beautiful of all the women in the pavilion, married to an animal handler named Dakarai, the Ankal's youngest brother. Despite the sun always bearing down on the Sea of Grass her skin was like milk, her hair like golden wheat. Her bright blue eyes were fringed with thick, curled eyelashes. Her hair was always done up in the most intricate braids, five colored wraps decorating her hair, one for each child that she had given Dakarai. No one knew how old she was, but she always seemed to be in an endless summer of youth.

From his three wives The Ankal had seven sons and eight daughters. From those sons and daughters came children of their own. From The Ankal's cousins came more sons, more daughters, more children. The Reddawn pavilion was going twenty-five members strong and Arandia, the twenty-fifth, an anomaly in a pavilion of mostly cousins and distant relatives, was childless and unmarried at sixteen. And she was rolling into her first summer without her mother to laugh about Sarai's screaming with her, or Ioanis to shield her from Juniper's temper.

"Arandia!" Sarai hollered for her at the first blush of dawn. "Hurry up with that water! Watch the pot! What are you doing just standing there watching the pot? Go find something else to do!"

Arandia and Ehileen exchanged a complicit look as Arandia scurried out of the kitchen room and out to the makeshift enclosure to where the rest of the pavilion were busy rolling up their tents and belongings on to the backs of their Striders or into covered wagons. A young girl skipped into Arandia's path, making sure to keep at least an arms' length of distance between the two of them. "My mother says it's summer time and you still haven't got a husband yet," the girl said.
"That's true," Arandia said, wiping her hands on the front of her pants.
"She says I've almost got my moon blood and soon I'll be ready to be married."
"That's good!" Arandia walked on, and the girl followed.
"She says that my valatia will make any man want to be my husband and I'm going to give him plenty of sons."
"I hope so," Arandia said.
"When are you getting married?" the girl asked.
"I don't know," Arandia told her.
The girl crinkled up her freckled nose and looked at Arandia for a moment. Arandia smiled. It was then that the girl's mother called for her, and the girl ran back into the bustle of packing and cleaning. Again Arandia heard Sarai calling her name. It was time to feed everyone for the long journey ahead.

After everyone had been served and the bits of pottery that the pavilion owned had been washed, Grewilde came into the kitchen tent and told Arandia to go see to the Zibri; to check if there was a sick one, or one that might not make the journey. "Look at their hooves," she said, speaking slowly, but not unkindly, as if she thought Arandia were simple. "If there are thorns, pluck them out. If there is too much dirt in the hooves, clean them. Dakarai will take over when he is finished with his tent."

Arandia did as she was told. For the next bell or so she chased around Zibri and looked at their hooves, at their horns, checked their skin to see if there was anything that needed to be fixed before the long journey ahead. As she lifted the hoof of one Zibri, it tried to kick her in the arm and hit her in the face with its swishing tail.

Ay, Lailita, why would you do that?” she exclaimed. She heard laughing from behind her, from the children who had gathered to watch her fumble around and chase the Zibri, and Arandia didn’t turn so they wouldn’t see that her face was burning. “Lailita, stay still,” she muttered, making the Grassland sign for frustration, and the Zibri seemed to settle if only for a moment or two before it wandered away again.

Nine bells into the day, the Reddawn camping site was no more. Everyone had been fed and everything had been packed, and true enough Dakarai had come to relieve Arandia of the Zibri with a laugh and a, “You have mud on your face, girl! It suits you!” She rushed to roll up her tent, which anyway was too big for her, and all of the little she had in the world before she struggled to pack it on to her Strider’s capable back and on a borrowed old Seme from the pavilion.
“Hurry before we leave you, girl,” Axil joked gruffly as Arandia struggled to climb on to Beloved’s back. Her cheeks were burning again, from exertion and embarrassment. Sometimes she wished a smaller stallion or even a mare, maybe even a pony, had chosen her. It was strange to watch her on his back, laughable even: a diminutive girl on a giant, six year old stallion. But she couldn’t have asked for a better caretaker.

It was evening when the Ankal finally decided to stop and make camp. They had covered much ground between spring and were well on their way to the summer camps, and the children were getting restless. A few of them lagged behind where Arandia and three others had taken up the rear. Arandia had chased them on Beloved and threatened to touch them, and they scattered and laughed and dashed back into the line with their mothers, but they soon tired of the game and one or two had begun to complain, and loudly.

“We’ll stay here for the night,” Drehkos said. “I need to stretch my legs as well.”

Within a bell, tents were set up and people were fed. Arandia sat in the peripheries of the camp with some bread and a small bowl of stew, content to watch the nightly rituals of singing and dancing from afar. Her tent was under a tree, right under an arbor with small white flowers and what Arandia thought was a bird’s nest in one of the high branches.

In the Sea of Grass, there wasn’t much time for self-pity. The day was always filled with things to do and people to take care of, and sometimes, like on nights like that one, the children with their infinite curiosity came by twos or threes to listen to one of Arandia’s stories.

Halah,” she said, putting her bowl down by her crossed legs. Playing up the role of foreigner for their entertainment. “I know you want a story.”
The children looked at each other shyly, and then back at her. They nodded, they wanted a story, but they kept their distance.
Ya,” Arandia intoned. “This is a story that my mother used to tell me. It’s about a man named Jezraeel, and how he came to have a Tsana for a wife.”

Last edited by Arandia on June 6th, 2015, 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Played by: M.D.
Character Model: Golshifteh Farahani
Arandia
Girlchild

Words: 27742
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:29 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The First of Summer

Postby Arandia on June 6th, 2015, 4:22 am

"Some of you may have heard of the Burning Lands from your esteemed mothers, beautiful and wise, and some of you may have heard of the fierce and strange monsters that live in the sands of Ekytol. One of the most fearsome, my little friends, is the Tsana.”

The four children sat and shifted their weight around on their behinds, each chewing a piece of bread or meat from their family’s spread. “What is a Tsana?” one of them, a little girl named Neeka, with hair as red as the petals of a Fortila, asked.

“A Tsana,” Arandia hummed dramatically. “Pray that you never meet a Tsana, Neeka. It’s a big beast with a long snout that can snatch you from anywhere. Even from in between two rocks. Even under the earth.” Arandia put her arms out in front of her head, making the snout and the Tsana’s teeth with crooked fingers. “And its fangs! Oh, its fangs! Long and sharp and painful as anything! More painful, even, than your mother’s rope when it goes whack whack whack against your behind!” Arandia clapped her hands together, mimicking the sound of snapping teeth. The children laughed. They were young enough that the greatest fear they knew was the sting of an angry mother’s hand.

“And their tails!” Arandia groaned. “They’ll hit you and smack you and spank you with their tails, and they won’t stop until you’re crying and running for your life! But you know, before they were so fearsome, the Tsana were kind to every one.”

“So what happened? Tell us the story. The night grows long,” Milos said, imperiously. He was seven and becoming a man, and he wanted to be every bit like his father, the Ankal, who often said “the night grows long” when he was feeling impatient.

“Well, sire,” Arandia said, shifting her weight around so her feet wouldn’t fall asleep, “I don’t want to keep you waiting any longer, what with you having so much important business to attend to. Here is the story.

“Once upon a time, in the deep sands of the Burning Lands, where the blue-eyed people of the Benshira live, there was a shepherd by the name of Jezraeel. Now Jezraeel was a lazy man. He let his goats wander away all baa-baa, clip-clop, far away into the dunes and up acacia trees or down deep ravines. Often his father, also a shepherd, would have to chase after the lost goats himself, and he was getting old! His back would crack and his knees would shake.”

Arandia wiggled her legs. This time only Neeka laughed.

“So one day, he went into the middle of the desert and sang a prayer,
Yahal, O, Lord Yahal, O,
By your mercy I am awed.
Send your divine hand, O,
Great and Glorious God!
’”

Arandia sang it once in Pavi. Another in Shiber. Her voice was untutored but had a pleasant tone, like a bird no one taught to sing but had a song in its heart.

At the sound of the strange, lilting language Juniper, who was by the fire, stomped over, calling out, “What are you doing? What are you teaching these children? Come,” she gathered the children up, taking them by their arms, “enough of this nonsense. Learn something useful.”

“But I want to know what happens,” Neeka protested as Juniper dragged her away.
Arandia was left alone at the mouth of her tent. Grewilde caught Arandia’s eye and the old woman shook her head, whether sympathetically or disapprovingly Arandia couldn’t tell. But thus admonished, Arandia went back to cleaning the bottom of her bowl with the nub of bread she had left, singing to herself under her breath.

Yahal, O, Lord Yahal, O,
By your mercy I am awed.
Send your divine hand, O,
Great and Glorious God!

Last edited by Arandia on June 9th, 2015, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arandia
Girlchild

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The First of Summer

Postby Arandia on June 6th, 2015, 10:35 pm

“He sang that, Beloved, day in and day out, asking for Yahal’s help. Touch my son’s heart, he begged, until he was hoarse.”

Beloved made a quiet nickering sound and put his big head on Arandia’s knee. He was lying on his side beside her as she twisted spare Zibri wool that the pavilion didn’t want anymore--not the best pick of the lot--into skeins of long, white yarn.

“No, not horse,” Arandia said. “Hoarse. When you lose your voice.”

Beloved inhaled and then let out a deep, fluttering sigh through his nostrils. He was relaxed. The pavilion was mostly quiet, except for a scattering of men and women telling stories and singing around the fire. The children had gone to sleep.

Arandia’s spindle dropped into the grass. She picked it up before it rolled away, reattached the yarn to the fiber resting on the back of her hand, and continued to spin.

“Just when Jezraeel’s father was beginning to lose hope, thinking that no one could hear him in the Burning Lands, there came a sound.

Witi-witi-witi-witi!
Witi-witi-witi-witi!

Through the sands and to the old shepherd, who saw, with a startle, that it was a large animal with a frightening snout and even more frightening teeth. A Tsana.

‘Good shepherd of the Benshira tents,’ the Tsana greeted him. ‘What are you weeping about?’

‘Oh, Lady Tsana! I am wroth with my son Jezraeel. All day he lazes and sings until my goats run away or die of thirst, and I am old and my back bends with the coming Hikzu; I am not long for this world. What will happen to my son then?’

The Tsana swished her tail in thought. ‘Hmm,’ she said. ‘Huuum! That is certainly a conundrum. It will not do for a boy to be so lazy. I will help you, Good Shepherd of the Benshira.’”

A small ache developed in Arandia’s arms from holding them up for so long. She stopped, rubbed her biceps, and went on. The tension in the fibers made the spindle twist and spin, fast and almost hypnotic. Arandia always thought it was like magic, the way raw material turned into yarn for weaving. She remembered how quickly her mother could do it, and how Ruhama sang while she did her work. Her hair was her mother’s pride: long, dark and heavy like a river at night. Arandia often dreamed about it, and her mother’s voice. She fantasized about healing her mother, whether by tonics and tinctures or magics, the light of a star bursting out of her hands and into her mother’s chest where the cold wind had gripped Ruhama until all the breath had been sapped out of her.

When that happened, not even Denhar Tenderbloom, twice marked by Rak’keli, could help them.

Beloved nudged his nose against the crook of Arandia’s still raised arm. She stirred from her daydream, gave the spindle a whirl, and went on:

“The Shepherd was overjoyed. ‘Praise Yahal,’ The Shepherd said. ‘He sent you to help me!’

‘Meet me back here tomorrow with your son,’ Lady Tsana said before she walked, witi-witi-witi-witi away.

The next morning, Jezraeel and his father waited out in the desert for Lady Tsana. Jezraeel was sleepy and did not want to stand out there in the desert for a long time. He wanted to go sit down under an acacia and play his pipes, and sleep until the sun was calmer in the sky.”

Arandia finished her skein of yarn and rolled it up into a soft ball. She would dye it later, when they were settled in the summer grounds and she could stretch the yarn out in the sun. That evening she wanted to make a bigger dent on the blanket she was weaving for Beloved: a colorful zig-zag pattern that may have been a bit ambitious for her still-clumsy fingers, but she was determined.

She checked to make sure that the heddle on her frame loom was taut, and then continued to weave.

“They waited, and waited, until they heard a sound coming through the sand. Witi-witi-witi-witi. Father and son saw Lady Tsana come, with a veil around her leathery head as if she were a bride. Lady Tsana opened her mouth to speak. ‘Jezraeel, look upon your bride.’

Now both Father and Son were taken aback, but the Shepherd was not one to question Yahal. So he agreed for Lady Tsana to marry Jezraeel, and Jezraeel had no say in the whole thing anyway, so he…”

Arandia paused. She tied a knot at the back of the loom where she finished one color, twined and began the next. Beloved sighed again.

“Alright, so I lied about this being a story my mother told me. I made it up and I don’t know where to go next. What do you think, Beloved? Jezraeel married Lady Tsana and then… and then Lady Tsana agreed to watch over his goats for him. And for a while Jezraeel was so afraid of Lady Tsana that he was the most industrious and faithful man in all of the Burning Lands. Until he met a young girl named… named… Ja’el.

Ja’el was beautiful, with eyes like an oasis in the desert, and long fingers and a long neck and dark heavy hooded eyes. Jezraeel fell in love with Ja’el and soon he was leaving the herd again to sing to Ja’el. Lady Tsana was jealous, and she ate the whole herd and vowed to eat any Benshira man, or any man for that matter, that she came across. And her children, and her children’s children, and so on.”

Arandia yawned. She stayed up long enough to finish a third of the second quarter on the blanket, but her arms were tired and her eyes were too heavy, and they had to wake up early the next morning to finish their trek to the summer grounds. Sleep was calling her name. She packed up her things, checked on Karnia, did her nightly ablutions and thus purified made her prayers to Yahal.

In the quiet, in the dark, in the privacy of her tent, Arandia sang to him in Shiber:

"Praised are you, Yahal, may it be your will
To lie me down in peace and then to raise me up in peace.
Let no evil thoughts upset me, nor troubling fantasies.
Grant me light, let me fear not death,
Or anything while I lie under your wings.
"

In her sleep she dreamed again of her mother’s hair. It became the river, and the moon became her mother’s white dress. Somewhere, humming like the wind, Ioanis spoke with Ruhama about love..
Arandia
Girlchild

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The First of Summer

Postby Dravite on June 21st, 2015, 9:02 pm

Arandia

XP Award:

• Animal Husbandry: 1
  • Singing: 2
  • Storytelling: 3
  • Observation: 2
  • Socialisation: 2
  • Running: 1
  • Endurance: 2
  • Acting: 1
  • Weaving: 2

Lore:

• Zulrav: Father of Storms
  • Awaking to the roar of thunder
  • Karnia: Weaner calf
  • Beloved: Arandia's Strider
  • Drehkos: Reddawn Ankal
  • Ehileen: Third wife of Drehkos Reddawn
  • Ehileen: Of the Opal Clan
  • Ehileen: The Healer
  • Ehileen: A kind heart
  • Sarai: First wife of Drehkos Reddawn
  • Sarai: Of the Emerald Clan
  • Sarai: A large woman
  • Juniper: Second wife of Drehkos Reddawn
  • Juniper: Of the Diamond Clan
  • Arandia: A foreigner at home
  • Grewilde: Of the Topaz Clan
  • Grewilde: Drehkos Reddawn's Mother
  • Grewilde: The oldest woman in the Reddawn Pavilion
  • Maya: The eldest daughter
  • The first summer without a mother
  • Arandia: Should find a husband soon
  • Animal Husbandry: Cleaning hooves
  • How to fold down and pack a tent
  • Beloved: No better caretaker
  • Beloved: A giant Stallion
  • No time for self-pity on the Sea of Grass
  • Stories passed down from a Mother
  • Storytelling: Use drama
  • Tsana: A beast with a long snout
  • Storytelling: Sound effects
  • Weaving: Spinning wool into yarn
  • Ruhama: Arandia's mother
  • Yahal: God of Purity and Faithfulness

Penalties:
Aranida’s muscles will be tender for the next two days

Loot:
1 x ball of yarn

Notes: Hello Arandia. I really enjoyed reading this thread. I think the story was fantastic and you provide the reader with a lot of information which made it easy to award you with lots of Lore. I gave you two points in weaving where it should have only been one, but because your post was so long and detailed I felt it deserved a second. In future think about splitting long posts in two to try and make the most of the rewards. Keep in mind that Arandia is only a novice in both Weaving and Storytelling, so you should try to play it down a bit. It is also important that Arandia collects wool from her own calf in future. I loved the thread and can't wait to see where Arandia ends up as a character. An excellent start! Let me know if you think I have missed anything here and be sure to edit your grading request!

Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)