Completed In the Café

Kalla visits the Café Fleurs for the sake of musing and people watching.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

In the Café

Postby Cowlquape on July 1st, 2015, 7:00 pm

Cowlquape tentatively touched his tea cup with his hand and, noticing that it had cooled down to drinking temperature, plucked it from the coaster and took a sip. Mmm, just as good as he thought. The man at the counter certainly had good taste.

"Rather awful," Cowlquape agreed. "Well if Syliras doesn't suit your taste, the region has many other great things to offer. You might find Nyka interesting, with its gigantic crevice; the Aperture. Quite an eerie thing, it is." Cowlquape could tell she most certainly was an adventurous spirit. The lack of incredible scenery had bored her away from Syliras. Well, Cowlquape supposed the castles and mansions might not impress everyone. He could understand that - Syliras was known for it's civilization - in other words, what made it common, instead of wild and unknown.

Cowlquape noted that none of his compliments were working quite as he expected. What did intrigue him however was the fact that she came to Ravok by land, and not by sea. He listened to her tale in full until she had completed.

"You've a way with words! I can see why they allowed you along as a story-teller." Cowlquape thought, maybe that compliment would work this time. "I'd imagine it was a harsh journey at times. A strong will would be required. You must have seen some incredible things on your travels?" Now Cowlquape was just asking out of interest in travel stories.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Cowlquape
The Observant

Words: 23631
Joined roleplay: September 24th, 2013, 11:33 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

In the Café

Postby Kalla Whitevine on July 3rd, 2015, 10:18 pm

NoteSorry for taking a bit, small bout of writer's block

"It sounds interesting," she agreed though there was already an unspoken 'but' before she even continued her sentence. "I just wish for more than that. And Nyka may be more like Ravok in its culture, but if I leave here I will want new. Perhaps Lhavit or Riverfall...maybe Zeltiva, unless it is similar to Syliras in not having much new to offer... Though a slight change instead of completely new, like Nyka, may make sense..." she shrugged at that, clearly not in a rush to decide where she would go when she decided to travel again. Kalla already had a decent list of places, she just had to narrow it down.

She smiled a bit vaguely at his compliment, taking a small sip of her tea. "Most Vanthas have a way with words. But I thank you. It is nice to know that my words can be enjoyed outside of Avanthal and caravans." Kalla of course did appreciate the compliment, but at the same time her people were storytellers. They had to know how to use words so their stories could be more enjoyable, more colorful, more real. By this point int heir conversation, more violet was taking over the place of the green in her eyes so that there was about an even mix of the two colors with the violet coming in from the outside and the green closer to her pupil.

She seemed to think for a moment then nodded. "Harsh, yes. Worse for the others during the colder part of the journey," she moved to place her fingertips lightly on the snowflake gnosis mark on the back of her right hand, "They weren't use to the weather and they didn't have any help of Morwen, but once we were away from that... Harsh still. Some creatures liked to try and do something with the horses or the caravans or us while we would stop to feed and rest the horses. I couldn't help much with that other than try to patch people up if they got injured. But, as I said before, a trip so long is not one that is taken without a set goal." Kalla sounded somewhat nonchalant as she spoke, toning down just how the journey had been, but she was quite serious about the importance of taking that trip with a plan. Of course any trip made to any city required a well thought out plan, but with how Avanthal was a bit away...she believed it was even more necessary in that case.

"Why did you come to Ravok yourself?", she asked suddenly, tilting her head as she looked him over wonderingly.
Kalla Whitevine
Child of the Aurora and Winter

Words: 29360
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2015, 12:02 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In the Café

Postby Cowlquape on July 4th, 2015, 6:11 pm

The girl was in search of the incredible sights and scenes that Mizahar had to offer. He absolutely could not blame her. There were far too many to count. Cowlquape sipped his tea as his mind wandered across the continent, re-imagining all the various rumors, myths, and stories he had heard.

"Those all sound like great places," Cowlquape noted as she listed the many cities she tentatively planned to visit.

Cowlquape caught Kalla's smile at his most recent compliment. As she told him about the Vantha's natural story-telling abilities, he was intrigued to see her iris' continue to change color. They were green and violet - but only a little violet had ringed the outside of the iris before. Now, the violet and green seemed to be evenly matched, like two halos surrounding the pupil. He figured a mix of his compliment and that she was also happy to talk about her kinfolk and remember her roots.

He listened to her detailed story with much interest. He could only imagine the discomforts of the cold that the caravan must have felt - but noticed that her hand hand moved to a mark on her wrist. Likely a Gnosis. When she mentioned Morwen, Cowlquape was certain she had some sort of Ice Reaving mark. Well, what an incredible gift. Cowlquape also tried to imagine the beasts and monsters that assaulted them as they made their way through the rough wilderness, and wondered just how many casualties a single trip might produce. At any rate, she seems content with where she has ended up. "And your goal was to make it to Ravok, I see. To view the world. What a truly awe-inspiring story," Cowlquape nodded.

Then she asked what his own motives for travel were. "My, well I don't think I'll be able to top your story," Cowlquape chuckled. "I mentioned a man who wounded me; well, that man and I were in some bad business in Sunberth. Having seen the error of my ways - which is a whole other horrific story of it's own - I decided to use my talents for a more legal purpose. That, and I am still in search of that man and those he runs with. And I've got in on a good word that there are clues to their whereabouts here in Ravok." Cowlquape took a sip of his tea as he finished.
Cowlquape
The Observant

Character sheet

In the Café

Postby Kalla Whitevine on July 5th, 2015, 6:48 am

Kalla raised a brow as he called her story awe-inspiring, seeming doubtful perhaps. She was certain others had taken even more arduous trips and likely on their own, whereas she...well, she didn't do much really. It also could have been much worse; some of the stories of different monsters she had heard about could have proven to be true. Thankfully, none of those had decided to become reality and stayed int eh realm of story.

"You could try," she replied with a light grin, some challenge in her voice as he seemed to doubt his own story. Even if he couldn't, it couldn't hurt to encourage him. She blinked once as she listened, glancing around for a moment before back to Cowlquape, curiosity in her eyes. "So you say you were a...not so lawful before?," she asked, temporarily at a loss for the word she had wanted to sue to describe what it sounded like he was saying. While that irritated her a bit, it wasn't enough of a bother to think on it too long.

She drank the last bit of her tea, pursing her lips as she formulated another question. "Is looking after a man that shot you truly a good idea? And..." she paused, her brows knitting together, her look changing to confusion as she stopped speaking for a few ticks. "Is telling some random stranger all this a good idea, too? For all you know, I might be friends or working with the man you speak of. he could be waiting to ambush you once you are relaxed and off-guard." She watched him for some more moments, silent, before glancing around again, her eyes carefully scanning each person in her visual range before focusing back on the man across from her. Kalla couldn't quite understand why he didn't seem concerned about that possibility. While she liked to believe most people were good at heart, even if it was hard to see, she still was aware some people would pull tricks like that. Unless, of course, he didn't think this man was especially smart which could explain his loose attitude with telling her this openly. From what she knew, when people had something to hide, they didn't usually give anything about it up so easily. To her, this was strange. But intriguing none the less.

Not to mention, good fodder for a story.
Kalla Whitevine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In the Café

Postby Cowlquape on July 6th, 2015, 1:52 am

Cowlquape was a bit encouraged to tell her his story by her challenge. Not that it was the most boring of stories, it just was a story that had to do with living in Sunberth, and the frivolous life he had led, exhibiting the epitome of a spoiled child. Once his family cut him off from their wealth, it was all just a downward spiral into the lawlessness of Sunberth, until his "resurrection".

After he had finished the story, Kalla asked him about his seemingly carefree motives. She was certainly detective material, questioning the motives behind his actions like one might. Cowlquape appreciated a human with a genuine sense of curiosity.

"It's probably not the best idea to chase after a man who shot you, no. But well, I've got to find him anyways. He's lost, is all." Cowlquape sipped his tea. The man he was following was lost, but not in the physical sense. He was ever drawing closer to being lost without hope of return; but Cowlquape wanted to ensure he did not wander that far.

"I'm an honest man, is all." Cowlquape smiled. "I don't particularly have anything to fear from he or his friends. But had you been one and heard my story, perhaps even at the risk of my own life, it would bring me that much closer to his whereabouts. Though he did me wrong, he was like a brother to me."

Cowlquape then tipped his hat and said with a glint in his eye "And I'm never off guard."

"But you raise an excellent point. Why do you sit and listen to some stranger talk, when you could be exploring the boardwalks of Ravok?"
Cowlquape
The Observant

Character sheet

In the Café

Postby Kalla Whitevine on July 7th, 2015, 2:00 am

Kalla blinked once before nodding. Lost. She still couldn't understand why he'd want to help someone who had harmed him, let alone get him unlost, but she supposed there was some reasoning in there. After all, he did say the man had once been like a brother and she doubted such ties faded easily. Even with betrayal, who could forget a closeness such as that?

At that thought, more green found its way back into her eyes. If something more than argument ever happened with her blood sister.... She rather loathed that thought since... That would never happen with her sister. The disagreement they had could be patched up easily once she had calmed down. When she would calm down, though, was another question entirely.

"If that's the case, I do hope you find him. And can help him no long be lost, too. Perhaps he will appreciate your help and you can mend your relationship, if only a bit. I have no experience, but these things likely take time and trial and error," she replied with a reassuring tone, sympathy in her eyes. She really did wish the best for Cowlquape and his brother-like friend. She also was letting herself slide to the side of this being something that could be fixed. There was little in the world she believed beyond repair.

"As for why I sit and listen, it is because people can be as interesting, if not more so, than things. I can learn much about a city by listening to people talk, watch them interact, or hearing their story. People are like...walking stories and histories of a place. If you listen and watch, there's much to be found," she smiled softly at that, before looking up to the sky, her eyes widening. She jumped up suddenly, taking up her tea cup and plate, bowing her head slightly to Cowlquape. "I apologize for my quick leaving, but I just remembered I need to get somewhere before the next bell...and it's almost that... It was nice to meet you and I do hope we meet again. I wish you all the best."

Kalla waved her fingers as best she could without letting go of her plate or cup before running back inside, though listening in case he had anything to say to her, to pay for her drink and dessert and to leave the dishes behind. Once done, she dashes back out the front and to the nearest Rasolava.
Kalla Whitevine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In the Café

Postby Cowlquape on July 8th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Cowlquape noted that some green had filtered back into her eyes when speaking of his brotherly bond. He pondered on it, it was likely that the young Vantha was thinking about a relative as well, perhaps someone who she had left back in her hometown? There was no way to no for sure but given the signs it seemed more than likely. She encouraged him then to find a way and save the man, and supposed that it might mend their relationship. Cowlquape hoped so. He knew for sure that the path that man was on only lead to death. As long as he could steer him off that path, he would be content.

Cowlquape sipped his tea enthusiastically when she mentioned people being like walking stories. This was a thought process Cowlquape thoroughly entertained almost daily. To him, nearly everything visible was a story, complete with hidden meanings and synthetic meanings as well. However, his pondering was short lived, as she quickly jumped from her seat and announced that she had to be on her way. He could tell by her agitation that she must be late for something. She mentioned the next bell being her timeframe - which indeed was only a short length of time away.

"Oh, quite right! It was a pleasure speaking with you too, Kalla! Speed be with you, and keep safe!" Cowlquape called as she left.

Now, only Cowlquape remained at the table. He finished the last few sips of his tea, and decided to head out. There was still time left in the day, and he had a case to get to. This was certainly a nice break; nothing did Cowlquape enjoy more than speaking with strangers. He braced his cane, took to his feet, and slowly walked away from the cafe, back to his apartment.
Cowlquape
The Observant

Character sheet

In the Café

Postby Ball on November 1st, 2015, 3:22 am

And the grades come rolling in.

Overall Comments
It was not bad. I wish it was finished, or had a finished feel to it. However, please mark your grade request as complete and any questions please PM me.

Kalla Whitevine
Experience Points.
Observation +2
Socialization +2

Lores.
  • Cowlquape: Carries a Cane – It reminds him of Syliras
  • Cowlquape: Has an Arrow wound

Cowlquape
Even though you have been actively on the site recently, I am unfortunately unable to grade this thread as you have no paid for Seasonal Expenses since the Fall of 513, that is two years worth of back exepenses. Please be sure to update your ledger at the end of season that you are active. As well as any threads you have completed and have received grading for.

Please do note that if you fall to negative mizas your character will either perish or is eligible for enslavement. Please keep this in mind and if any situation like this occur please contact your local ST or you can reach out to the Help Desk if there is no ST in your city.

As both are requirements to receive grades I do apologize that I am unable to grade any of your threads until this has been accomplished. Once you have done as requested you may send me a private message by selected the envelope to the side there underneath my information and let me know you have updated all that is requested.

Thank you,

Ball

Template Credit: Edric Wingard
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes