Completed Out of the Ocean and Into the Rain

Newcomers arrive in Black Rock

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Citadel of the Dead Queen, Black Rock is the island off of the eastern coast of Falyndar. Mythic and mysterious, few know what truly inhabits it. [Lore]

Out of the Ocean and Into the Rain

Postby Maro on January 26th, 2015, 6:42 pm

4th of Winter, 514 AV

Up early as he always was, Maro made his way to the docks. He loved his new rowboat and wanted to take it out into the bay again today. The sea itself was a little choppier than usual, and that meant it would make for a good day for fishing. That being said, he would have to be more careful while he was rowing. He still couldn’t swim yet, not well, and an overturned boat would surely put him at the bottom of the ocean.

It was a warm morning, considering it was winter. Like all days in Black Rock, it was mild compared to many other places around Mizahar, or so he had been told. He’d just have to take Autumn’s word for that. She had lived outside of Black Rock for most of her life, arriving at the Isle of the Dead only a year before her death. Autumn’s word was all he had. Autumn’s word. Autumn.

Damn it! She was distracting. He wasn’t sure how long he had been standing there staring at his rowboat. He couldn’t get her face out of his head. It was getting almost annoying of late, how easily she did this to him. Even worse than the distractions was the connection he felt to her. Of all things, it was the most inexplicable. For two whole years, he had known her, and only now, did the attachment feel deeper.

Looking up, he glanced around the docks to see if anyone had noticed him standing and staring off into space like a lunatic. The Cliffshore brothers, the ones who had just set him up with the rowboat and fishing gear, were looking at him, but he couldn’t be sure how long they had been doing so. It was very possible it had only been a moment, but it was equally possible they had found him looking like a fool. He waved at them, and they waved back, both breaking into smiles.

Jon, the younger of the two, called out to him. “The boat works better if you get in it and row, Maro.”

So he had been staring off like an idiot. He called back to the man. “It doesn’t row itself? What kind of crap boat did you sell me?”

The brothers laughed again and went about their business, leaving Maro to go about his. As gently as he could, he dropped his fishing supplies into the boat, the patter of raindrops on the wood of the docks drawing his attention away from his embarrassment. Gazing up at the sky, he tried to keep his eyes open against the continual assault of the raindrops, but their insignificant weight caused him to blink every time they struck his eyes or lashes. After a while, he looked back to the ground and shook his head to rid his hair of the droplets that had accumulated.

His eyes came back to the docks, and for the first time since he had been there, he noticed a new ship in port. It hadn’t been there last night when he had brought in his rowboat from a day long excursion which could only mean that it had come in overnight. It took a ballsy captain to bring his ship in at night. He was either stupid or showing off. Or both.

Looking at the bow of the ship, he soon found out the reason a ship’s captain might have to show off. She had just stepped up to the ship’s rail and was observing the dock, her eyes flitting from one person to the next and a smile playing at her lips. Beautiful seemed an insulting way to put it, but Maro could think of no better word. Her black hair reached her waist, braided here and there and decorated with seashells, undoubtedly gifts from the sailors she had traveled with. Her style of clothing, bare at her midriff, seemed odd, especially with how cold the winter could be, but she wore it well. Maro was sure he was staring but felt confident he wasn’t the only one.

The young woman looked as if she were about to leave the ship but hesitated and gazed up to the sky. Closing her eyes, she smiled at the rain as it came down. When she was thoroughly soaked, her eyes opened, and her gaze returned to the docks. As Maro watched her, it almost seemed as if she was waiting for something, some sort of permission or signal, before she would depart.

It came shortly. She turned back toward the ship. Someone must have called her, but Maro couldn’t hear it at this distance over the patter of rain on the wood. A nod and a smile were given to whoever had talked to her, and she was soon on her way down the ramp on to the subtly creaking woodwork of the docks.
Last edited by Maro on April 5th, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maro
Player

Words: 179660
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on February 1st, 2015, 2:55 pm

The woman began to make her way down the docks toward land. As she came to the first group of sailors, she stopped, greeted them, and made a single comment that struck up a lively conversation among the group and herself. She listened, interjecting her opinion here and there, all the while a smile building on her lips. Someone said something comical. The woman laughed, and as her flat stomach tightened, elegant muscle rippled beneath it, like still water disturbed by a single drop of rain. When the discussion dwindled, she excused herself from each of them with a gentle touch, a touch that conveyed a congeniality but hinted at something more, something sensual.

She continued, stopping at each new person she encountered and making similar friendly conversation with each. As with the previous group, she excused herself from each when she moved on, either with a touch or, for the more fortunate, with a kiss on the cheek. When she moved on, she drew with her their eyes, their gaze, and their attention. None were unaffected by her charms.

One would have thought that with all the attention she drew from the men that the women present would have hated her, but this was not the case as she devoted as much effort and time to every women she encountered as she did the men. In fact, she may have given them more. When she parted from them, she served them touches and kisses and compliments.

One of the women, a young blonde undoubtedly in her prime, held the newcomer’s attention longer than any other. Finally, the newcomer thought it was time for her to leave. Leaning in close to the current object of her attention, she whispered a compliment into her ear, and her new friend blushed but smiled. As the newcomer pulled away, she left on the blonde’s cheek a kiss, almost sisterly and almost something else. The blonde blushed even more deeply but smiled even more.

Maro was entranced, but his curiosity drew his eyes back to the ship. He wandered how someone who could hold so much sway over everyone else could be in someone else’s control. He remembered how she had waited until she had received a signal from someone who was still on that ship. His eyes flashed back to her, and she caught his gaze briefly before he looked back to the ship. When he looked back at her, she looked over her shoulder to the deck of the ship, then back at him. Breaking off her current conversation, she made her way over to Maro, passing only a few groups before reaching him. He greeted her with a warm smile, and she beamed one back at him that made him feel warm inside.

She reached out and placed a hand on his arm near his elbow. “Hello, friend. It seems a bit of a wet day to go fishing.”

“Hmm?” Her comment caught him off guard, but he quickly remembered his boat and his fishing tackle. “Oh, yes. Rough waters make for good fishing, or at least, so I’ve heard.”

“Rough waters also make for poor sailing.”

Maro laughed, and she smiled at her own wisdom. He gave her his full attention; she seemed to demand it. “It’s a risk many sailors take and sometimes fishermen as well.”

“But don’t you fear death?”

Maro shrugged. “I suppose I fear it as much as any other person. It’s in our nature. Survival is an instinct, and people don’t shake instincts too easily. But our Lady embraces us and all of us meet her in our own time. Fearing death does not keep it at bay.”

“That’s a touch morbid,” she said but laughed.

Maro smiled, but once again, his curiosity turned his attention to the ship. He caught sight of two men walking down the gangway, carrying a large, black metal chest between them. The man in front was calm and confident, enjoying himself and the day around him. He was fairly tall and well-kept, his hair shaved short. The man behind him towered over him and was built like the finest of sculptures Maro had ever seen of ancient heroes told of in fables. His eyes carried a worried look, and Maro was confident that the woman speaking to him was the object of his attention.

The woman stepped in his line of sight, cutting off his view of the men and the box. There was a slight hint of annoyance at him but not in a way that made him feel ashamed. Rather, it only made him want to return his attention to her.

“Did you hear what I said?”

“No, sorry. I get distracted easily.”

“I was asking about your boat’s name.”

Maro ignored the question. “I think your friends are worried about you. Well, at least, one of them is.”

She turned around and looked at the two men with the box. She waved at them, then looked at the ground, shaking her head. Looking back to Maro with the same gentle annoyance in her eyes, she smiled. “They’ll catch up.”
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on February 8th, 2015, 2:16 am

Maro and the young woman waited for the men to make their way slowly up the dock with their heavy burden. The man in front seemed tired by the time they made it to the woman’s side, but the towering man was not winded by the effort. While they had traveled up the dock, they had attracted some of the attention away from the woman. It was hard not to be fascinated by the enormity of the man in the back. He moved with a certain grace, and every shift of his body caused muscle to bulge and ripple. The box itself drew some attention as well. As simple as it was, it was mysterious also. Whatever metal had comprised it- iron or steel or something else- had been blackened with coal.

The man in front smiled at Maro as he set the chest down. He looked to the woman. “Who’s our new friend?”

Maro held out his hand. “There haven’t been any introductions yet. I’m Maro. Welcome to Black Rock.”

The man took Maro’s hand in both of his, shaking it warmly. “Maro, pleased to meet you. I’m glad to find such a warm greeting on the Isle of the Dead. I’m Sampson. This beauty you’ve already met is Chastity, and the towering oaf behind me is Bernard.”

Bernard reached out and took Maro’s hand in his own. Maro swore the hand was as big as his entire torso.

“Don’t believe a word Sampson says, Maro. I’m smarter than the two of them combined.”

“Smarter?” Sampson laughed. “Bernie, there are two necessities in any outfit: brains and brawn. We obviously brought you on for the latter.”

“And thank goodness you did, because I’m the only one of us that seems to have any sense of the former. I think this entire group of ours relies on me for brains and brawn. I don’t know why I even keep you two around.”

“Because we’re prettier than you.”

“Prettier? You’re funny. That’s probably what it is. I let you two stay, because you entertain me.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Bernard,” Maro interjected to keep the playful argument from escalating.

“It’s just Bernie.” The big man slapped Maro’s shoulder lightly, nearly taking the young Kelvic off his feet.

“I’m glad you three are getting along,” Chastity said. She looked anything but. “If you gentlemen will excuse me, I’m going to talk with some of my new friends.”

She turned away before they could respond and began to talk with the young blonde again.

“I feel like I’ve angered her.” Maro had felt an annoyance in the way Chastity had emphasized the word gentlemen.

“It’s nothing you did,” Sampson said but quickly corrected himself. “Well, it is something you did, but you didn’t do anything wrong. Chastity’s just sensitive is all.”

Maro looked at Sampson questioningly, so the man went on. “You weren’t as enthralled by her as she wanted you to be. She didn’t have your full attention even when she was working all her charms.”

“I’m just curious and easily distracted. I feel bad though. I didn’t want to insult her.”

“Don’t worry about it, Maro.” Bernard put a hand on Maro’s shoulder. “She’s pretty quick to forget she’s angry. She’ll forgive you in a matter of moments.”

A Svefra child ran up to Bernard and pulled his pant leg, her blue eyes dancing in excitement. “You’re huge.”

Bernard nodded. “I’m the biggest man in the world.”

“Nuh-uh. I’ve seen bigger.”

“Maybe bigger but not stronger. I’m stronger than an ox. I lifted one once.”

Children were gathering around him now in miniature droves. The children’s eyes went wide at his bragging, and though she was impressed, the first child tried to act like she wasn’t.

“I don’t believe you. I bet you can’t even lift me.”

It was obvious the girl was manipulating him into giving her a free shoulder ride. Bernard knew it but played along. “A bet? What do I have to give you if I lose?”

“Five mizas.”

Bernard paused and acted as if he was contemplating the offer. “Fair, but if I win, you have to admit that I’m the strongest man in the world.”

“Deal.”

“Shake on it.” He held out his hand.

“Why?”

“Because you never make a deal unless you’re willing to shake on it. It isn’t a proper deal if you don’t.”

“Fine.”

The girl held out her hand. As soon as her hand was in his, Bernard wrapped his hand around her wrist, lifted her straight up in the air, spun her around, and set her gently on his shoulders. She was laughing as soon as her feet left the ground.

“Quick. Take me to my ship,” she said, pointing at her pod’s sailing vessel.

“Not without more passengers.” Bernard kneeled and held his arms straight out to the side of his body. Children piled on, clambering to get on top of his arms. Some of them hung from him like sloths while other dangled from single fingers like monkeys from branches. Standing, Bernard trundled off with several more children wrapping their arms around his legs and using his feet as seats.

Sampson smiled as he watched the rowdy bunch leave. “Kids always like him the best. I won’t lie. It makes me a bit jealous.”

Chastity had drawn the rest of the crowd as she always seemed to do, leaving Maro and Sampson to converse alone.
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on February 27th, 2015, 2:06 am

Sampson was the first to speak. “So, Maro, I want to know how someone manages to withstand Chastity’s charm.”

“Who says I withstood it?” Maro had to admit that her curiosity and the way she focused on him and him alone when she was talking with him made him feel good. He felt guilty now, knowing he had not reciprocated.

“Well, you withstood it enough to notice Bernard and me. This is the first port that’s ever happened at. Usually, we two can sneak off the docks and find ourselves a place to stay before anyone even knows we’re here.”

“Why would you want to sneak off the docks?”

“Because of this.” Sampson placed his hand on the box. “This is the reason we send Chastity ahead of us, so no one will notice this chest. It’s one of those things that draws people’s curiosity. Once people have seen it, there are those who try to take it to discover its secret for themselves and those who wish to persecute us because they are afraid of what it could contain.”

“Has anyone ever taken it?”

“Some have tried. None have made it past Bernard. His pure strength goes a long way in a fight, but he’s not just strong. He knows how to use it to his advantage. He knows a multitude of fighting arts. Even if someone made it past him though, it’s guarded by magic. Chastity has shielded it many times over, and even if someone managed to make it past the magical barriers, I’m the only one with a key.” Sampson pulled a key on a chain from beneath his shirt.

“And what does it contain?”

“Mostly just our belongings, clothing and such, but it also contains all my supplies for spiritism.”

“You’re a spiritist?”

Sampson nodded. “That’s the reason we’re here on Black Rock. I’ve spent my whole life as a spiritist, but being in that profession has put me into contact with all the unsavory sorts of spirits. When I heard there was a place where the living and the dead lived in harmony, I was overwhelmed, awestruck, and I knew I had to see it for myself. Not to mention, I’m sure the Cicerones could teach me a thing or two.”

“I think you’ll find what you’re looking for here.”

“I surely hope so. I’d like to stay here a while. Speaking of which, where could we find a place to live?”

“The Administration Office is a good place to get any information you want on the city, but the Dormitories are where most newcomers end up finding a place to stay, if you’re looking for something a bit more permanent.”

“That sounds like the place for us then. How did you really avoid her charms?” Sampson was stuck on this issue.

Maro shrugged, because he was still pretty sure he had not. “I really don’t know. Like I already said, I tend to be easily distracted.”

Sampson shook his head. “Chastity isn’t the type to let anything draw attention away from herself. There’s something more to it.”

Maro thought about it a moment more. “I guess there’s someone else I haven’t been able to get out of my head. Just thinking of her makes me distracted, and it’s hard for me to not be thinking about her.”

Sampson smiled. “It’s good to be in love. Who’s the lucky girl?”

“She doesn’t know,” Maro admitted. “I think it’s best that way.”

“It’s never best that way,” Sampson admonished him. “Only a fool would think that. There have been a good many lives ruined for that single, careless thought.”

“I think it’s a bit different for me.” He went into detail of how he had been brought to Black Rock as an orphan and placed into Autumn’s care. Quickly, so as not to bore his new friend, Maro told of how Autumn’s relationship with him had changed from that of mother figure to dearest friend in the matter of a couple years.

“You’re a Kelvic.” Sampson was perceptive. “I don’t think that makes things that much different. Sure, she used to be a mother figure for you, but that seemed to pass quickly. From what I hear about your friendship now, it seems there may be something there, something that maybe neither of you will admit. Has anybody ever told you of the Kelvic bond?”

Maro shook his head.

“It’s a special bond that only the Kelvics can have, and they share this bond with someone else. From what I understand, it is the most beautiful gift any living being could share with another. The bond changes both who share it, makes them more like the other. What they feel, the other feels, in a way, and what the other loves, they come to love as well without the effort that normal relationships require. You could share that with her.”

All of Sampson’s hopeful comments were frustrating Maro, because all of it sounded so good. “She’s a ghost,” Maro sputtered out.

The hope that had been in Sampson’s eyes broke, and his eyes fell. He looked to the ground and shook his head. “It’s man’s curse in this world (and woman’s as well, I imagine) to always want more. We can have the most amazing things, but once we have them, we want more or want them to be more. Me, for example, I know Chastity loves me, more than she’s loved anything else in this world, but now that I have her love, I want more. I want to be the only one she loves, but that is not her way. If her mother had the gift of divination, she certainly had a sick sense of humor when she named her daughter.”

Maro smiled. “It looks like both of us won’t be getting what we want.”
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Maro on June 1st, 2015, 1:40 am

Bernard lumbered out of the ship he had entered, still crawling with young ones. The girl he had made the bet with was shouting from his shoulders. “Bernie’s the strongest man in the world. I dare anybody to challenge him.”

Maro and Sampson both laughed at this. “He’s definitely good with the kids.”

Bernard wandered over. “You hear that, Sam? From the mouths of babes. It’s official. You’re looking at the strongest man in the world.”

Chastity returned from her conversation with the young woman, pressing herself between Maro and Sampson and taking an elbow from both of them. She laughed at Bernard. “You might be the strongest man, Bernie, but you’ve got nothing on me.”

Bernard flexed and curled one of the children who was hanging from his hand. “You want to put that to the test?”

“There’s no need. We already did once, and I beat you.”

Bernard glared. “You cheated. That doesn’t count.”

The girl on Bernard’s shoulders opened her eyes wide in amazement. “Did you really beat him?”

Chastity nodded. “I lifted something he couldn’t.”

“Because you cheated.”

Chastity feigned being wounded by the suggestion that she had made some competition unfair. She let mock tears come to her eyes. “I can’t believe you’d think that about me.”

The little girl patted Bernard’s head. “Don’t be a poor sport, Bernie. You’re still the strongest man in the world. Chastie’s just the strongest person in the world.”

Sampson laughed. “Would you two stop bickering? We have to find a place to sleep tonight.”

It was Chastity’s turn to laugh now. “Haha. You need a place to sleep tonight. I already found one.”

“Be that as it may, I’d appreciate it if you came with me and Bernard so you know where to find us tomorrow.” Sampson gestured to the box. “Would you help me with this, Bernard?”

The big man set several of the children on top of the box and left several others where they were. He nodded farewell to Maro as he picked up his end of the box.

Sampson shook Maro’s hand before he lifted the front of the box. “I’m sure we’ll be seeing plenty of each other in the days to come. You have a good day, Maro.”

They headed out with a small procession of children following behind them. The girl on Bernard’s shoulders was now calling out loudly, “Chastie’s the strongest person in the world.”

Chastity watched them leave, smiling at the ridiculous sight Bernard made with children hanging off of him, and then followed. As she passed Maro, she stopped next to him and whispered, her breath tickling his ear, “I was nowhere close to working my full charms.”

Maro believed it. For the first time in weeks, Autumn wasn’t the only one on his mind.
Maro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Dravite on July 3rd, 2015, 4:08 am

Maro

XP Award:

• Observation: 4
  • Socialisation: 4
  • Rhetoric: 1
  • Logic: 2
  • Investigation: 1

Lore:

• Fishing: Choppy seas mean more fish
  • Autumn: The words of the dead still haunt the living
  • Jon: The younger Cliffshore brother
  • Rough waters make for poor sailing
  • Logic: Fearing death does not keep it at bay
  • Chastity: A beauty from the sea
  • Bernard: The biggest man in the world
  • Sampson: The brains
  • What’s in the box?
  • Sampson: The Spiritist
  • Maro: The fool
  • The Kelvic Bond
  • Autumn: The ghost
  • Chastity: Don't let the name fool you

Notes: Hey, Maro. Great story! I really enjoyed it. Couldn’t offer you too much in the way of grades, but I managed to get quite a bit of lore in there for you. Let me know if you think I have missed anything here and be sure to edit your grading request!

Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)