Flashbacks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 16th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Hello, everybody... I was wondering what the exact limits were for writing flashbacks. Can two or more characters that you have interact in flashbacks, but not 'real-life' playing time? Can you come across bodies of characters from flashbacks while roleplaying? What about finding things that flashback characters hid for you?

Thank you for reading.

~Zaliki
Zaliki
Player

Words: 1738
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2015, 2:33 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Flashbacks

Postby Rayage on July 16th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Hey there,

Just a quick note. Two characters YOU have or have created/possess can NEVER interact (unless under very specific circumstances and you get a ton of permission). However it would be easier for you, for the mods and everyone if alt pcs never met ever. So that is the general rule. Alt_PC. Read related articles as well regarding alts.

I don't really understand the second question, but you can come across bodies in flashbacks. Flashbacks are just like normal threads in the regard that you can do most anything (as long as no rules are broken).

To find hidden things from pcs I would ask the player and run it by mod (just so they know what's up and can weigh in on individual situations). If that stuff is going to go down, I think there would have to be a lot of proof (aka threads) that person A did have the item to begin with, and that he did hide it. Then some story on how your PC (person B) comes across this hidden item.

I think I answered your questions. I'm not sure. Some of them were worded a bit odd. And I think I got all the typos from autocorrect.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 17th, 2015, 1:24 am

Rayage,

Thank you so much. The second question asks if a character that you have created only in a flashback can appear dead or dying in roleplaying that is not a flashback. Once again, thank you for your help.

~ Zaliki
Zaliki
Player

Character sheet

Flashbacks

Postby Rayage on July 17th, 2015, 2:29 am

If you created the NPC and its a personal NPC (one that you created for your own thread use, and not for city development), you are free to develop the story. So an NPC you made (for yourself) can appear to be dying or die or just dead in a thread if that is how you want your story to go.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 17th, 2015, 2:47 pm

A couple more questions... If I retire a PC, can I create another character that interacted with the retired one in flashbacks? Also, can characters return to places previously only experienced in flashbacks and retrieve items (like a character returning to his/her childhood home and finding their parent's journal)?
Zaliki
Player

Character sheet

Flashbacks

Postby Rayage on July 17th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Flashbacks are treated no different than normal threads via the multiple PC rule, even if retired. They cant interact in normal present day threads or in flashbacks. I believe it says in the lore that alt PCs cannot benefit from each other at all. Again, all of it is in the lore.

Your character is allowed to return to previously flashbacked to places. Retrieving items, I would talk about it with your local ST about the details and what you hope to gain. Just to, you know, cover all your bases and make sure all your ducks are in a row.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 18th, 2015, 10:31 pm

I was just wondering- where exactly does a character post flashbacks?
Zaliki
Player

Character sheet

Flashbacks

Postby Rayage on July 19th, 2015, 12:45 am

Flashbacks are posted in the area you are flashbacking to. If the flashback is in Syliras you post in Syliras. Remember an appropriate timestamp. If its in Zeltiva you post in Zeltiva, etc. However you might want to look at the news around the campfire forum. There are new site policies that effect both current and flashback threads.

Also you might want to check out the code you used for your signature. Something is off about it making the threads you post in be crazy like you see. :) if you don't believe me, try taking off your signature and check this thread again. I believe it might be your signature.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 19th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for your advice!
Zaliki
Player

Character sheet

Flashbacks

Postby Zaliki on July 19th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for your advice- it was my signature!
Zaliki
Player

Character sheet