Whither Now (Rigil)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 29th, 2010, 5:20 am

A crooked half-smile hoisted half his face upward, an attempt to commiserate, though he knew that he had no sense of loss half so strong as that of an ethaefal. He had once told Caelum that he sympathized, but that human sympathy was not unending. After a while, a human remembered that they had never been granted the gifts the ethaefal had lost. So in the end, it was better to be grateful to have had paradise at all. Though an ethaefal might counter with 'ignorance is bliss'. But Hadrian didn't think so; not entirely. He had always wondered what it must be like to be favored by the gods.

"Their immortality was bought with their humanity, some would say. At least you still have that. But having never been as you are, I cannot say if that is any comfort. Or only small comfort." He paused. "I hope you find your way back to Syna. Somehow."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 29th, 2010, 5:32 am

Rigil paused and turned to face Hadrian, searching deeply for the truth and integrity of his words. He parted his lips slightly and his gaze flickered in indecision, before flexing his fingers and balling them into a fist. One hand clutched the blue cloak he still wore. He smiled thinly and directly nodded his head gently to acknowledge Hadrian’s words.

“If only my humanity had been a full one, Hadrian,” he sighed wistfully, shaking his head. “I do remember vague instances of my former life. I remember a mother who I loved. She taught me much, I recall. But there is nothing compared to being among the Gods energy, the fluctuating, permeative instance is a blissful, incredible sensation which can never be replicated. I know you do not understand and I do not hold that against you, but there are some things which one can never truly appreciate until one has experienced.”

He raised his hand and trailed his fingers through the strands of his blonde hair, his fingers almost caressing the curvature of his horns.

“But still, enough about me. I’ll need to start learning about the nature of Glyphing and its basic applications,” he continued to speak. “And I do believe I owe you some lessons in regards to Projection, yes?”
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Words: 40544
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2010, 10:27 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 29th, 2010, 6:03 am

Hadrian just smiled and nodded. His mother had always counseled him not to discuss religion or politics unless he knew all parties involved well enough that they could agree to disagree. Otherwise things got messy. Mother hated messy.

"Some lessons in projection wouldn't go amiss," he agreed. "Though, if we're going to do any sort of practical application, we should probably find a practice room rather than stay in the library. But if you want to teach theory, we can do that here."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 29th, 2010, 6:56 am

There was a momentary pause when Hadrian spoke. Rigil stopped and nodded his head, before flicking his blue cloak and feeling slightly too warm. And yet he did not extricate himself from the hold his cloak had over him. It seemed as though he wore it more out of habit than really any necessity for warmth.

“Then let us return to that table you were studying at,” he said to Hadrian as he turned and made his way towards the aforementioned table. As they walked on, Rigil continued to speak.

“Do you know the very basic nature of Projection?” he quizzed. “At its most simplistic form, one could explain it as reaching out, without the limitation of space. For example, do you see that book?”

He stretched his arms out, pointing towards the book Hadrian had been reading about Sahova. His fingers were parted from each other and his eyes narrowed. However, he did not seem to be concentrating on the Djed, but simply on his mind.

“I would be able to move it from where I stand. To utilise such a concept though, you would need to learn about astral body. Am I making any sense?”
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 30th, 2010, 6:33 am

"Yes," he said, both to his understanding of projection and seeing the book, and finally to his question regarding sense. "Yes, I understand. Perhaps you should explain it again, though. Sometimes hearing another perspective adds depth to understanding. And, you know, if you teach it to me, you'll gain depth to your understanding too," he added, grinning as he referenced their previous conversation.

When they got to the table again, he picked up the book in question, closing it and holding it in his arms; it was rather big. He glanced askance at Rigil to see whether he intended they go or stay and was again struck by the unfair beauty inherent in all the horned ethaefal.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on June 10th, 2010, 12:54 am

Rigil nodded his head to Hadrian’s suggestion. He waved his hand as he noticed the man’s glance and then turned on the spot.

“Perhaps I can explain it as we walk along to a more practical area for us to work in?” he asked him. His thoughtful frown creased upon his forehead, rows of wrinkles etching along his skin. “If one is to truly understand the core of Projection, well it would come down to the astral body and the soul, by extension. The specifics would be as we study the concept of attachment and detachment. For example, I can pick up that book from where I am by concentrating the Djed and chanelling it through my astral body. Using that, I can then detach my arm. I would have to force it with an intense concentration though, so well, picking up a book by the classical way would be far more appropriate.”

He paused, considering his words as he then looked at Hadrian intently. Rigil was not sure if he had explained it properly. He needed to actually do it first and then explain it as he went along, he realised.

“We best get going. It would be easier if I showed you and even involved you. Anyhow, where was I? Yes...detachment. So I have detached my arm and then projected the astral arm to pick up the book. The key point here is that it’s not over, even if you have achieved your objective. Your corporeal arm is useless, since the astral aspect is holding the arm. So one must attach it perfectly, to render as little damage as possible to the soul. My teacher told me horrible stories of people dying without their key limbs, all lost in the astral planes. A scary thought.”
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on June 10th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Hadrian nodded along with Rigil's explanation. Knowing what he already did about the theory of projection, it all fit together, though Rigil's description was different from how else he had heard it described. It must be different on some level for every individual.

There was always the matter of deciding whether it was more appropriate to use magic or more mundane measures to accomplish a goal. He wasn't unversed in magical ethics, and that was a central question. Lifting books and the like were good practice, he supposed, but if one became so lazy as to use projection for such simple tasks without a true need to do so, one opened themselves to overgiving and all sorts of other issues.

"Ugh, amputation of the soul?" He wondered if that was even possible. Perhaps the astral body was not precisely the soul. Here again, he wished Caelum were around to help with the precision of language. Surely the astral body was not the part of the soul that was reborn after death. If it was, then projection might actually be... blasphemy? At the very least a questionable practice, but he was no priest himself to answer that question.

"Yes, let's find someplace else, then," he said, walking with Rigil toward the exit.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Sabazios on November 10th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Work Becomes Pleasure

Reap the benefits

Hadrian
Experience- Philosophy 2xp, Rhetoric 1xp, Planning 1xp,
Observation 1xp.

Lore- The Melancholy of Ethaefal, Basic Concepts of Projection, Dangers of Projection.

Rigil
Experience- Observation 2xp, Philosophy 2xp, Teaching 1xp.

Lore- Using sayings often in conversation.

My Two Cents :
I really liked the way the thread was going. It's too bad it wasn't finished :(

If you have any questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a PM. I would be happy to have a civil discussion with you.

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Words: 36329
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous