Solo The Lost Daughter [Pt II]

Firenze meet Melody's mother, Misha.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Lost Daughter [Pt II]

Postby Firenze on July 23rd, 2015, 2:57 pm

The door creaked loudly as she pushed against it, bringing in the light with her from outside. Mismatched chairs still scattered about, but not as full as usual. The flow of patrons hadn’t picked up yet for the day. Her barstool screeched, per usual, against the floor as she pulled it out. Plopping her frame into she waved to the faces that were quickly becoming familiar. She’d been in the Kelp Bar more lately than she would’ve liked. The beer was expensive, although she didn’t mind the flavor or strength of it, she didn’t want to go down the road of a drunk. Today was going to be a day of restraint, no beer for her.

Having told Melody to meet her here, she been at the bar a couple times this week, trying to catch her and see if she’d actually show back up with her mother. Fire hadn’t heard anything new, no one could identify someone on such little information. Since living on the streets were pretty well forbidden in this city it was even more difficult to find a stray, more so than it would’ve been in Sunberth. There you knew they’d be either in an alley, tent city or the orphanage. Zeltiva was a vast place, she was not completely familiar with it or the people that resided in it.

After a few bells and chit chatting with the blue eyed bar keep Fire decided she was going to call today, that today wasn’t going to be the day that Melody showed up. Withdrawing from the stool, pushing it up to the bar, she began to make her way toward the door. Sun filtered in as the door began to open and the bright blonde hair haloed a familiar face. The frustrations of wasted time came out on a rush of breath, a hand came up to the hip, “Finally you show up. I’ve been waiting around for days for you. Have you found anything?”

Grabbing a nearby stool, dropping into Fire motioned to the other chairs at the table so that her and Melody could discuss the next step in things. They had to move past just asking people, maybe take a bit more action. Eyes watched as Melody moved into the bar, an older woman with white hair and dark brown eyes followed behind her. Firenze assumed that this must be the mother that she spoke of. The women sat around the table, facing each other, a word not spoken, just eyes inspecting each other.

“Mother this is Firenze,” Melody looked to the white haired woman and pointed to Fire, “Firenze this is my mother, Misha.” This time looking to Firenze, she waved a hand toward Misha. Fire reached a hand over the table top toward the woman, trying to make the introduction as pleasant as possible. The look on the woman’s face had her hesitating slightly, a scowl darkening the features, deepening the ever growing wrinkles.

Others | Firenze | Thoughts
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Firenze on August 6th, 2015, 2:28 am

Almost reluctantly Misha reached out and took her hand. Cold, soft and delicate fingers slid into hers giving it a quick shake before withdrawing. Even thought the woman hadn’t spoke and she seemed skeptical of the situation Firenze had a respect for someone that had lived as long as she had in a world such as theirs.

“Melody told me that she was looking for her daughter, I offered my help but unfortunately it has been rather difficult. The only information that she could give me was that her daughter's eyes were golden and her hair blonde.” A hand went up in a wave for the bartender to bring over a drink, forgetting that she wasn't going to drink, continuing on with what she’d found, “Do you happen to have any other information that might help to find her?” Dark eyes scanned over Firenze, scrutinizing.

Shifting in the chair, slightly uncomfortable with the non-verbal inspection, Fire folded her hands on top of the table and waited for a response. A few chimes passed, the bartender already having brought her drink she took a couple sips. She wanted to keep her wits about her and the potent beverage was already starting to relax her muscles.

A soft stern voice came from the woman sitting across from her, it surprised Fire for a moment not expecting such a smooth sound to come from Misha, “There were only a few things, but we didn’t have her long enough to see any defining features.” Brow furrowing, her eyes taking on a sadness, she cleared her throat gently. “We did get to learn that she was Kelvic... Rambunctious thing.” A soft chuckle escaped and Fire could tell she was reminiscing.

The fierce woman that had walked into the door only about a half bell prior seemed to change. Her features softened and she seemed to glow at the thought of her granddaughter. It warmed Firenze’s heart to see someone loved so much but it also sent a sharp pain of longing and sadness through her heart, almost as though someone were stabbing her straight through.

Golden eyes turned to the woman on her right, “Are you Kelvic Melody?” Fire inquired because if she was then that may narrow down their search. There only had to be so many in Zeltiva, she hoped.
Last edited by Firenze on November 15th, 2015, 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on August 6th, 2015, 9:46 pm

“That’s a good start, I think it should definitely narrow down the search. I don’t think Zeltiva is harsh on Kelvic’s, so it should hopefully make things a little bit easier.” She wasn’t going to tell them she was a Kelvic herself. Excitement at knowing other Kelvics in Zeltiva zipped through her system, almost like a jolt of lightening.

Trying to keep herself contained and professional, eyes shifted between the women. “We should split up the town as well, that might make things more organized so we’re not double and triple checking areas.” Fingers came up, elbows on the table, steepling and tapping against her chin. How she was going to plan this out and come off like she knew what she was talking about was going to be extremely difficult. For the simple fact that she had absolutely no clue where to even actually begin. The words she spoke were true enough, but would it actually help? She had no idea.

“Well, if we’re going to be doing all that don’t you think we’d need a map?” Misha’s eyes narrowed, she was back to scrutinizing Firenze again. Did she realize that Fire was completely novice at this? That she actually was just stumbling her way through this hoping that they’ll actually pay her when the girl is found? Golden eyes shifted slightly, not wanting Misha to read into her and see that this was a bit of a farce.

“I would think the Library at the University would have a map that we could use.” Feet shuffled and crossed over one another under the chair. Hands dropped back to the table, enclosed together. “If you’d like I can get the map and meet you back here later this evening? Or would you guys rather get it?” Eyes darted back and forth between the pair. They looked to one another, almost wordlessly speaking, trying to decide which scenario would be best.

Misha, the obvious one in charge now that she was present, spoke again for the two of them, “Show us that we can trust you, get the map and bring it here. We will me at the 17th bell.” With that she scooted her chair and slowly stood up, stretching out her muscles from having been seated so long.

Melody followed suit of her mother and Firenze watched as they left establishment. They were quite something else. She’d not encountered two people that were so alike yet so different. It made her almost wonder for a moment how they had gotten the way they had, where they had come from in order for them to be so skeptical and hush mouthed. Were they from Sunberth as well?

With a shrug and a screech of the wooden legs, she pushed the chair out and stood. Stretching her legs out and heading in the same direction that the women had left in. “Hey blondie!” A voice called out from behind her. Turning she noticed the bartender who usually kept her company coming in her direction. “You gonna pay for that or you just gonna walk out the door with it?” An fluffy eyebrow rose and the blue eyes teased.

Laughing softly, her absentmindedness making her face flush along with the heat from the alcohol in her cheeks. Slipping the coin into his hand, she took a swing of the half empty drink. “I’m going to borrow the cup,” giving him a wink, hoping that he didn’t mind that she would borrow it, not wanting to waste the beverage. Crossing her heart and holding a hand up, a mischievous smile crept across her face, “I'll bring it back, I swear!” He squinted at her and gave her a quick nod. Turning, she started back on her previous path, a chuckle tinkled from her lips as she pushed the door open.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on August 22nd, 2015, 11:05 pm

Heading toward the University, she downed the last bit and shoved the mug into her satchel. The large building loomed over her, eyes gazed up toward the stonework. Unsure of where the Library was within the large space of the University she set off to ask one of the students. A dark haired boy who appeared about the same age as her sat on a bench near the entrance. Footsteps knocked against the stone underfoot as she made her way over towards the man.

“Excuse me, can you point me toward the Library?” Golden eyes waited for a response, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the dark hair move with the breeze. His face was down, nose stuck in a book that Firenze couldn’t even begin to decipher. He glanced up after a tick, almost as though he were trying to get to a point in the book that he could pause from. White teeth flashed, a hand holding the book in it’s spot as the other pointed. “If you go down that way, and then to the left you’ll see the sign for it on the front. It’s not hard to miss.”

With a nod she gave the boy a smile and headed in the direction that he’d pointed. She couldn’t read any of the signs but it was rather apparent which entrance was the library with people coming and going, a book or two in their hands.

She headed up the steps, large wooden doors glided open and she slipped in with a couple others that were heading the same direction. The huge interior stretched before her, another level above creating a feel of never ending knowledge. Her brief pause in the entrance caused another to bump into her, shoving her further into the Library.

Stepping off to the side, she scanned for a place that she could even begin to start to look for a map. There was a desk off to one side and an old woman with pale blue eyes and snow white hair pulled back tightly. She appeared extremely formal and gave an air of no nonsense. Firenze hesitated a moment before walking over. A pause in step, then feet carried her slowly toward the woman.

Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and a soft gulp, she approached. “Excuse me,” serious brows lifted and eyes came up to look at Fire, “I’m trying to find a map of the city. Could you help me please?” A few ticks from the front of the desk she waited for the reply, arms crossed in front of her, hands clasped. The woman didn’t speak, eyes just kept on her for a moment and then she moved, quite quickly for her age and started toward and isle about a third of the way down the rows.

Following behind quietly, eyes watched to see what the woman was doing, if she was getting the map or if she’d dismissed her. Could she help Fire or did she even work here? “I’m sorry, but could you help me or do I need to ask someone else?” The older woman turned the corner around a shelf and began making her way to a pile of scrolls at the far end that were stacked neatly on a table. “Be quiet child, this is a library after all.”

As they approached, Fire about a chime behind the woman, her head moved to the side trying to see around the woman at the scrolls. She began to shuffle through them, setting one or another to the side. Delicate, thin fingers picked up old parchment that were rolled and tied off. Picking up one of the larger ones, the paper slightly thicker, she turned instead of putting it with the others. “This is what you’re looking for.”

The top tipped down and pointed at Firenze. Reaching for it the woman stopped her before she could take it into her possession. “You’ll need to sign it out if you’re going to take it from the library.”

Panic struck her for a moment, since she couldn’t actually write her name. She kept her mouth closed and nodded at the woman. Releasing her grip on the parchment she let Fire take it. Following the woman back towards the direction that they’d come from and up to the desk she tried to think of how she might be able to sign. Would the woman accept her just making a mark on the paper? She was about to find out.

Once they got back to the desk, Fire placed her hands on the smooth surface. “I’ll need to sign it out, please.” Her mouth a firm line she waited for the older woman to set the required items for her to take the map. A book with a list of scribbles was set in front of her, an ink well and a pen to write with. Taking the pen, soft thin skin brushing hers, she tried to sit it comfortably in her hand. She wasn’t sure how exactly to hold it so it sat at an odd angle. Unsure how to get the ink into the pen she just dipped the tip of the it into the well. The tip was placed against the page of the book and she wiggled it up and down under where the other squiggles were made. It looked kind of like a black wet worm on the page.

The woman just eyed her with curiosity and an air of slight distaste, almost as though Fire had messed up her neatly organized book. She pulled the book back and looked at it, an eyebrow raised. “Make sure that you bring it back in no later than 2 days. There are others that may need it. If you don’t I’ll have to send someone for you, I don’t think you would like that.” Eyebrow still raised toward her hairline she turned, sitting the book off to the side and dismissing Firenze.

Another person approached to her side. Mouth opened slightly but unsure of what to say, it closed again. A few steps were taken back slowly and then Fire turned and made her way out the doors of the Library and back down the steps. Although it had been an unusual experience and she’d never seen anything quite so… overwhelming, she couldn’t wait to come back and see the line of books, people shuffling about and smell the unique scent that had permeated the air, as though the pages gave off their own perfume.

Last edited by Firenze on August 24th, 2015, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on August 24th, 2015, 12:01 am

Some of the buzz that had sunk into Fire’s limbs had started to leave her as she walked her way back to the bar. It had been an interesting week so far. She’d asked around but mostly those in the areas that she frequented. Melody and Misha were quite the interesting pair, Melody was more quiet and reserved where Misha was more likely to ask questions and give information. That much had been apparent from the few interactions that she’d had with the women.

The soft hair and golden glow of Melody’s eyes flashed through Firenze mind, along with the stark white and rich brown of Misha’s. It made her wonder what her mother’s and grandmother’s eyes and hair looked like. Would they have been golden like Fire’s? Or would they have been a rich brown similar to Misha’s? Or were they nothing at all like that? Were they good people or bad? There were so many questions that plagued her mind, the drink she’d had before giving fuel to the emotional fire. It pinched her heart to think of it.

A lone tear slid down her cheek and she wiped at it angrily. It made her mad to feel weak. She’d felt weak when she was scared and upset in the orphanage, or when she was made fun of for being different from the other children. Even when Dor’gen had left it had been hurt and anger stemmed from the fear and sadness that had made her flee. She didn’t like hurting and in turn had a habit of projecting that onto others and wanted to make sure others didn’t experience the same that she did at least once on a daily basis.

The motivation behind her search had begun innocent enough, having a soft heart for something that she’d never had. As the week had progressed though it had started to become more personal. She felt as though she were the lost girl. That this was the quest not only to find the child… but herself as well. Part of the reasoning for this had also stemmed from hope. Hope that if she found the child and reunited the family then maybe… just maybe… she could find her family and be reunited.

The only thing that appeared to be most lacking in the search was information. Information was beginning to appear to be the huge missing piece in the puzzle that was her investigation. The only thing that she knew, besides the fact that the child was a girl, was that she had blonde hair, golden eyes… a shoulder bumped hard into her, interrupting her thoughts. Glancing up, a large sailor with a dirt stained shirt and a days worth of growth on his face grinned at her. Rancid breath and teeth that were in need of a good brushing followed her as she kept her pace and moved past.

Pushing the door to the bar open she tried to resume her thoughts. Golden eyes… and Kelvic? With a shrug she pulled the mug from her bag and placed it on the bar top in front of ‘Blue Eyes’. She needed more information on the girl. Hopefully, splitting up the city they could gather something… anything. First, she was going to start with getting ‘Blue Eyes’ name, because the feature of his eyes is generally how she remembered him and that was what she called him in her mind. Considering the amount of time that she’d spent at this bar she might as well get to know his name.

Hopping on to one of the miss-matched wobbly seat that faced the bar, Fire slid the mug she’d taken with her in front and tried to catch the attention of the bar keep, pointing to the cup to have it filled. If she had the mug she might as well get another drink. A brief thought came into might on how much she had started drinking since she’d been in Zeltiva but then brushed it off, not wanting to deal with the reason behind the why of it.

Blue eyes filled it and slid it back in front of her, “Any luck with yer search?” A heavy sigh came, both hands grasped the cup on either side and she stared into the green contents. “Not much, I just went to the Library and got a map to try to help make sure I'm not covering an area twice. It was one of the most beautiful places that I’d ever seen though. It’s not much use to me, but it was still a sight to behold.” A small smile creeped across her lips. “Thanks for letting me borrow the mug,” eyes flicked back to the weathered face, those blue eyes twinkled back at her, the corner of his mouth turned up slightly. “Yeah, yeah.”

“I never did ask you what your name is… what is it?” Puzzled eyes watched him. Feet crossed on the bar of the stool.

“Will. That’s what most people call me anyway.”

With a nod, “I like it, it’s a nice name.”

The door creaked open on the front and Fire didn’t bother looking over. People came and went from the bar all the time. Her ears perked though when it sounded like the footfalls were heading in her direction.

“I think your lady friends are back.” He nodded his head in the direction of the door and moved off, cleaning some of the used cups behind the bar.

Glancing over the women were indeed heading toward her. Melody leading and Misha right behind. They were slightly early, as Firenze hadn’t been there that long, but then perhaps they were on time and she was just off on the time of day. It was hard to tell within the establishment.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on August 24th, 2015, 5:59 pm

A wave in their direction she moved toward an open table. They came and sat across from her, the scene almost identical as it has been only a few bells prior. Misha’s eyes still scrutinizing her, Melody’s soft and waiting. She felt kind of proud at having had the task of getting the map and accomplishing it. She hoped that it was the first step in the right direction for the group to get toward their end goal.

Pulling the parchment from her messenger bag she sat it on the table. “You’ll have to help me with trying to read it, I’ve not looked at too many maps in my life,” she tried to chuckle and play it off like it shouldn’t be that big of a deal and hoped that it wouldn’t make them nervous to have her helping.

Sliding the thin piece of yarn, that was tied off to keep the parchment wrapped, she set it off to the side and unfurled the page. All eyes glanced down toward the ink and marks that looked like little squares and curves covering the page. It had a large blue area filling some of the area and a soft green on the other side. The colors were faded but still noticeable. Little squares packed next to each other of all different sizes curved around the blue. She figured those must be the buildings, but she didn’t know which area was which district, they didn’t appear to have been distinguished in any way that she could tell.

“Well, this over here is the East Street,” Misha pointed a delicate finger towards the left side of the blue. Fire knew the East District because that was where she worked. The finger moved over and circled an area, “This is about where the Sailor’s Quarters are.” It was almost the size of the East Quarter but bent at an angle as it wrapped around the blue area.

“Old Quarter and then the Ancient Quarter,” fingers moved around the bay, circling the different sections. It was interesting to see them all laid out so nice and neat, almost as though from a bird’s eye perspective. There were lines that ran off from the squares and into the blue in the center and Fire assumed those to be the docks that she walked near everyday. If the squares were the buildings and the blue the bay.

Looking up to the women across from her, all three with their heads gathered over the top of the map. “Which areas would you guys like? I’m usually in East Street and the Old Quarter.” Eyes moved back and forth as Melody and Misha quietly debated on what might work best.

“I think…” brows furrowed as Misha moved her finger around on the map, “I’ll do East Street and Old Quarter, Melody could do Sailors Quarter and Ancient Quarter. Misha, would you write out letters that we could have sent to private residents? I’m not sure they would like us just knocking around on their doors. Does that work for you both?”

Golden eyes shifted between the pair, their debating had ceased and now appeared to be pondering over the plan. Fire had chosen for Misha to write out the letters since she might have a bit more difficulty getting around the city efficiently and if Melody and Fire were the only ones out looking then it might make things a little quicker and less likely to run into each others areas. She was more familiar with the areas she chose for herself, but didn’t know if Melody was familiar with Zeltiva at all. Misha appeared to have some knowledge or have been in the city at some point considering she knew where the different quarters were.

“I don’t mind writing out letters, are the two of you going to be delivering those then? I don’t want to have to pay for someone to run all over the city if you two would already be doing it.” It made sense. Although she’d never spent much time over in the Ancient Quarter, it would be interesting to get a better look at it if she had to drop of the letters.

“I’m okay with that. Does that work for you Melody?” turning toward the blonde woman, she waited for a response. She hadn’t been doing much speaking since her mother had arrived and wondered if it was out of respect or something else. It didn’t seem like there was any hostility between the two, so Fire assumed it was the prior. Light blonde hair bobbed and a smile spread across Fire’s face. It was agreed upon.

“Great! When would you all like to meet again to deliver the letters and share information?” Fire’s mug sat to the side, untouched. It was exhilarating to have something other than work to do, it helped to get her out of the house and to explore the city a little more. “Do you think a month will be sufficient enough?”

“I’ll say so, if you finish before then you can come to the World’s End Grotto and ask for one of us, Serra, the manager, is usually available and will know where we are staying.”

Although she wasn’t completely sure where that was at, she was sure she could ask and someone could point her in the right direction. Fire smiled at the two women, “I will come get you when I’ve finished.”

NotePaid 1 GM for 2 drinks

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ball on December 7th, 2015, 3:52 am

Well written thread! This was fun to read and I enjoyed the sudden panic of Fire at the library and signing.

As a note: Please make sure to put a timestamp on all your threads.

Please mark your request as graded and as always PM me with any questions of concerns.

Skills
Intelligence+1
Land Navigation+1
Cartography+1
Writing+2
Leadership+1
Socialization+4

Lores
  • Misha: Melody's Mother
  • Misha Running the Show
  • Misha's Daughter: A Kelvic
  • Navigation: Taking and Using Hand Directions
  • Zeltiva: University Library
  • Signatures look like little black worms on paper
  • Will: Blue eyed bartender
  • Cartography: Learning how to read a Map of Zeltiva
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes