Don't scare me like that!

Yeah! Don't!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 9th, 2015, 7:55 pm

At last Dru agreed; she did not need a lot of persuasion, apparently. Brandon stretched his arms and fingers, starting to do some basic warm-up exercises while the Symenestra undressed herself. It had been a while since he’d seen her without her clothing, or wrappings, though, and he could see her words held truth. Drusilla was indeed changing. Not much, but that would come. For now only her stomach appeared a little swollen, but it wasn’t that noticeable yet. Like always though, the bat was a bit surprised by how different she looked naked. Those wrappings easily deceived the eye, hiding true sizes, and added an extra layer, making the Sym look somewhat healthier. Not starved as she did now.

Brandon ushered her onto the bed, telling her to lay down. “I’m not that good,” the Kelvic warned, “I only had three days of practice at the Lady, and then a lost chime every now and then. Never on a Symenstra though, so… ” He trailed off, thinking of how to phrase it. “Tell me if I’m too … violent? Not gentle.” He could break her bones after all, and he wasn’t really sure just how much was needed to pulverize Dru’s skeleton. An ordinary punch from an untrained person could very well result in some small, but painful cracks, that much he knew. Symenestra were practically made of glass. Lethia had always said that was the one thing she liked about them; she’d found it reassuring. “At least I know I only have to tap them on the head to crack their skulls,” she’d often said. Brandon had never known whether she was serious or not. It didn’t really sound like a joke, but still she said it casually. One thing had been certain though; Lethia had never trusted the spidery race.

“Well… You can if you want to…” Brandon said hesitantly; he wasn’t really sure his mother would like to have the child of a Sym bear her name. Then again, it was Bran’s child, so… However, she never needed to find out. She couldn’t be angry if she didn’t know. If she even would be. Ah well. Those were troubles for another time. “And what will you do if it’s a boy?” If he followed Dru’s logic, it would mean she’d name her child, if it turned out to be a boy, Gallan. Or not? He shook his head slightly, deciding not to try to fathom Dru’s thought patterns, and instead focused on finding oil. A quick scan of his room revealed he had none though, as this was not the Dreaming Lady. Obviously. Of course.

Well, then he’d have to do it without. No sweat. The bat rubbed his hands together and got started, placing his hands on the Sym’s slim shoulders first, then turning back around, grabbing the vial of water and sipped. He’d almost forget he needed to rehydrate himself. Finally he did get started though, kneading as gently as he could, not quite sure how light his touch had to be, as if Dru’s shoulders were two breads. Speaking of bread, he was still a little hungry… or did he just have a craving after those twenty horrible days? Under the pretense of passing the bag of nuts to Dru –such a gentleman he could be!- the bat nabbed a handful himself, putting them in his mouth once he placed the bag back on the table.

“Now, apart from hello, are there other things you can teach me in Nari?” The bat asked, resuming his kneading of her shoulders, pushing at the joints lightly, experimenting with things he’d read in a book. Eventually though, he returned to what Theresa had taught him; simply pushing his thumbs onto the skin and rotating them. As far as he knew, it should help against the stiffness of the muscles in the neck and shoulders, but whether he was doing it right was another uncertainty.

Credit goes to Nyxie Nadira Draer
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Drusilla on August 13th, 2015, 12:58 am

And so, Drusilla began to undress. A strange tinge of nervousness washed over her mind; not because Brandon was watching her. That was a normal thing to her, although it still made her blush sometimes. No, as she removed the Symenestra wraps that bound her body the reason became clear. Her body was changing, slowly bit it was changing. She had a normal looking stomach with a small bit weight to it in place of her ribs showing along with her breasts, now slightly swollen and slightly tender to the touch. What had to be worst was the fact the Symenestra had little knowledge of her race progressed throughout a pregnancy. Drusilla hadn't a mother nor had she seen many if any pregnant Symenestra growing up. But, she wasn't even carrying a full on Symenestra... Did that change things? If it did, how? So many questions filled her head, with no answer in sight. "I've been thinking about giving up wearing my wraps anymore."

Brandon helped her onto his bed, a faint smiled formed on her lips. Sometimes he could be a gentleman without even knowing it. "Why did you take up massage? The Yasi not giving you enough trouble?" Drusilla joked. "You mean if you're too rough? I doubt you will. You've done rougher things to me than a simple massage. Besides, I trust you, Brandon." Drusilla looked up and gave the bat a smile. The Symenestra settled down and moved her hair aside; something she could only manage for Brandon. He had seen the lash marks down her back what felt like a million times. She really did trust him.... and love him. It was too bad he didn't see her that way.

"Heh, your mother would never approve of me. That's what you're thinking, right? Can't say I'm fond of other Symenestra myself..." Drusilla stopped and thought for awhile. "If it's a boy... I'd like to find a happpy medium between honoring the male half of my blood web and you. So, I'm still working it out. I just think your mother has a pretty name... Once I heard it from you I just knew that I had to use it." She mumbled to herself trying to find a rhythm in the names. " Dovinid....Odovid....Odovra. No, no... Avindri?"Drusilla paused again. "Using Vinny's name instead? Just changing the start of it...?? Hmm.. That might work..." She smiled. "Well, which do you think it will be a Brandon Avindri or an Odessa Lethia?"

Drusilla relaxed as Brandon began to massage her shoulders. His hand moved ever so delicately over her velvet skin. The Symenestra wondered if her strange skin was unpleasant for the bat to touch. Then again he had slept with her, so he must not of minded it. A sudden touch made her shiver for a moment. All in all, the bat wasn't that bad at this. Sure he was no professional, but for just learning to do this he was pretty darn good. Suddenly the bag of almonds was presented to her, with a smile Drusilla took a couple and slowly chewed on them. If they weren't thoroughly chewed they'd hurt her stomach. "You know I've never eaten almonds up until recently, I blame cravings. One day I just looked at them and thought they looked so yummy. Whether I should be eating them is another story..."

Drusilla paused at Brandon's question, "Well... Anything really! Slang terms, insults, compliments, stupid and silly things... You name it. I've been speaking it for as long as I can remember. Do you want conversational or words beyond just a typical conversation?" She gave a giggle, "You're not half bad at this massage thing." Brandon was good at this and she was enjoying having all of his attention. "Hey, this might sound strange but.. Can I come to some of your Yasi lessons? I know hand to hand fighting is... a death trap for most Symenestra. But I'd like to watch and learn some. If you don't mind. In fact, I'd just like to spend more time with you in general, again if you don't mind. I'm not going back to the aeries anytime soon, I'm going back to living in my Warren Room. Unless.. Heh, never mind. Pretend I didn't say anything."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 14th, 2015, 10:55 am

“Hm? Oh no. I do rather enjoy teaching the Yasi. The Valintar just also assigned me to do random side jobs. Kind of like bendi. He said it was to get accustomed to the city; I’m not complaining. I like a change of pace every so often.” Brandon changed up his way of massaging, now pressing his thumbs into the Sym’s shoulders and rotating them, changing locations every so often. “I was working at the Lady for three days at the start of the season… well, working. More like being taught the basics. Then the disaster crews were necessary, and I had to do that instead.” He shrugged.

Bran then took to focusing on his technique a bit more, noticing mistakes he made; misses Theresa would have pointed out if she’d been here. She’d done it so many times the bat even started to find them himself, what made correcting them all the much easier. In the meantime, Dru seemed to be experimenting with names, eventually coming up with something that had his name in it. Close. It’s not Gallan, but I was close. In hindsight, he should have known Dru’d implement the Kelvic’s name in her child’s –if it was male. After all, Brandon wouldn’t live that long; he did not know himself how long he had, but it wasn’t more than ten years. Tops. Not that he minded; ten years was close to an eternity to him.

“I don’t know?” Kelvic or not, Brandon couldn’t go predict what gender an unborn child was going to be. How was he supposed to tell? True, this was a question to determine whether he’d rather have a son or daughter, wasn’t it? But the bat did not have a preference. Both would be a pain in the butt during the first stages of their life; and after that Bran’d be long dead. So, no, he did not really care. For the sake of keeping Dru’s mood positive though, he decided he’d give a reply nonetheless. Last time she had become … angry? Saddened? Disappointed? All of them?... because he’d shown no interest whatsoever. “I think it’ll be a girl. Because it has my mother’s name.” And Lethia would probably come beat him half-dead if she found out. If things could go wrong, they usually did. And this seemed likely.

“Insults,” Brandon said with a nod. “And conversational stuff.” Those things did seem the most important and useful. Well, the conversational things, that is. Insults usually only served to taunt, and anger someone else; in Wind Reach that wasn’t always a good idea. Especially so if you were addressing an endal; or so Bran had found out. Knowing himself though, if he knew insults, he’d use them. Perhaps he should make a habit out of swearing in symenos, that way they wouldn’t understand him, which was something. Then again, it did take away the fun gained from enraging someone else… But on the other hand it’d save him from being beaten. Or not. Knowing the endal they’d just beat him for speaking a language they didn’t understand, or because they didn’t like his tone. Hm.

Meanwhile, Brandon had started to massage Dru’s back; hands sliding up and down; pushing during the former motion, and pulling during the latter. With oil this was a lot easier, and the motions were a lot smoother, but Dru’s velvety skin kind of had the same effect. After a bit, he changed things up, now letting both his palms work separately, pushing and twisting, rubbing the muscles of her back. “Sure, come whenever you like. I’m sure I can teach you something.” But not punching, or kicking, or blocking. Dru would probably break her own bones if she attempted that. He could however teach her a couple throws. And how to dodge. Although… could Dru grapple people with those nails of hers? Brandon seemed to remember she had trouble picking things up or actually grabbing things without using her claws. Those claws also made forming a fist quite impossible too. Though that were issues for another time.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on August 26th, 2015, 4:06 am

"Bendi tasks, huh?" Drusilla stopped to think about her arrival to Wind Reach as a child. "I don't know much about bendi tasks. When I came her as a child I was placed straight into the Chiet working class. Despite my age I was fully trained and fairly on par with most Chiets so they found it better to just assign me than retrain me." Although she had been much younger than her peers, she had thought little of it. Even then kids her own age were in groups going from errand to errand, while she headed off to work at the gallery just to get lost along the way. It wasn't until she met Azira and Khara, who made it clear how strange her sudden jump to Chiet had been.

Drusilla giggled, "Of course you don't know! Silly bat! That's why you make a guess, and wait to see if you're right." She smiled from underneath him. His reasoning for why was strange but... A girl. "Brandon, I know you want to move from city to city... But, if possible... I'd like it if you could be here.. To see if you're right... and also... I'd like for you to be the first to hold him or her. That way years when they ask about you, I can tell them that. I guess... I don't want this child to grow up bitter toward you." Drusilla stopped speaking, "You'll be off and this child and I will be stuck here."

As hard as the Symenestra tried, she couldn't picture her life going on without the Kelvic around. Not just because of their child. She just couldn't. He had come into her life as a bloodied little bat and taken her life into a whirlwind of events. "Hey Bran? You must be tired... you can practice your massage skills tomorrow. Come here and lay down and relax. I've missed you, let me cuddle up with you for a bit and if your door nail doesn't stop someone trying to get you; I will." Drusilla hoped he'd listen to her and lay down beside her. She wanted to curl up with him, maybe play with his hair...Fall asleep beside the bat. However, Brandon had his own mind and he often didn't take ideas Drusilla gave him.

"Fine, I'll teach you their insults. Just... Be careful who you use them on okay? I don't want to have to patch you up more than I have to. Okay, lemme think of which ones would be of the most use to you." She ran the most common of swears through her mind. "First, 'nest'! Much like our word Web. It means one's house or home... or family. Next is ' chick ' it works much like the term 'Dra', cute to use on kids an insult on adults. There's 'clipped' it means someone is lame, pathetic or incapable. You can use it on your Yasi as in 'Stop acting clipped'."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 26th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Brandon sighed, turning around to grab his flask and take a sip of water. “Dru,” he said, swallowing a gulp of the not-quite-cold water, “you do know I do not like this city, right?” Maybe if he'd been more fluent in Symenos he'd have used a stronger wording, and not an accidental euphemism. It wasn't that he disliked Wind Reach because of the strict working schedule though, but more because of its people, because of the caste system. And because it wasn't a proper city with proper houses he could break into. There wasn't much of a challenge to be found in Wind Reach. Yes, there were ample opportunities to pick someone's pockets, but Brandon was more of a cat burglar than a pickpocket, even though he was excellent at doing both.

Another sigh left the bat's lungs as he took another sip, before placing the flask back on the table. “This might sound like a load off bullshyke to you, but one of the reasons I am still here is because Dira said Wind Reach would need me. Apparently something is going on here, and it is worrying her.” The Kelvic frowned, resuming his massage, hands firmly sliding over the Symenestra's back, manipulating the muscles to the best of his ability. “I have to admit there is indeed something wrong here, and it's not the usual stuff. Yasi that went missing, a beast massacring hunters and scouts. A corpse running amok at the market... I somehow doubt that those things were a frequent occurrence the last couple … years.” He'd have said seasons, but those things could have been going on for a while before the bat even thought about going to Wind Reach.

His fingers returned to Dru's shoulders, and the bat slowly started pressing his thumbs into them, rotating the appendages, tracing small circles. “I'm not sure how these events are connected, but I will have to figure that out. I'm staying until that's done, for sure.” He paused for a moment, focusing on carefully massaging the base of Dru's neck. “Though I think I should go to Lhavit and retrieve my stuff. I might need it in the future...” Once more he sighed, and he pinched the bridge of his nose. Too many petching things he needed to think about, and he wasn't quite in the mood for thinking right now. Massage was keeping him busy, and so was talking. That way his body and mind forgot about his exhaustion, but thinking returned that. Dru had noticed of course; she tended to keep a close eye on him when she was around. There wasn't much about his physical condition that seemed to escape her. Bran laughed, Dru had a point though, but he laughed. She'd stop intruders? Now that he wanted to see.

But she was not wrong, and her mentioning his tiredness only strengthened it, and his bed did look inviting... Besides, “practicing massage” had only been a farce to keep her in a happy mood, and seeing as that seemed to have worked, there was no real reason to continue doing it. “Sure,” he nodded, taking place next to her, wriggling a bit until she was lying half on top of him; there was no other way for two people to fit into the small bed made for one person. Well, Dru would be getting what she wanted, she'd be happy. And Bran didn't quite care, it was comfortable. He was vaguely aware he probably wouldn't pick up a lot of Nari this way, especially after a certain period of time. Nevertheless, he cave it a try. “Why is it an insult? Web isn't an insult, right?” he queried, then mimicking the sound of the word in a whisper, until he felt it sounded right. “Nast? Nist? Nesd? Nezt? Nest? Nest. Nest.” Those other two were simple, and actual insults this time, and the bat repeated the process for each one. “Chique? Chick? Chick. Chick. Clip'd? Clibbed? Klippet? Cli. Pet. Clippet? Clipped? Clipped.” A word that applied to almost everyone in Wind Reach. To every Inarta, or those half-Inarta at least.

“Are there more?” Brandon asked, pushing a strand of Dru's hair out of his face, his other arm wrapping a little tighter around her form. If the nail didn't stop intruders, Dru wouldn't be able to either, but the bat wasn't quite worried. He was reassured by the dagger that was still hiding under his pillow.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on August 30th, 2015, 2:41 am

"I know you dislike this place... But, are you close to Lady Dira? Is that possible?!" Drusilla averted her eyes as Brandon spoke, "I can't disagree with the strange happenings. That deadish thing from the market. I wanted to crack the head open and see what made it tick. But Turrin took it away...." She sighed, "But then again there was this one time a God broke free from the volcano... and then the riots and the wind God..."

Drusilla groaned and nuzzled into the bats neck. Safe. He made her feel safe. Whereas others found the bat dishonest, selfish, and potentially very dangerous, Drusilla saw none of that, she had seen Brandon in such bad shape; closer to death than life. Every time she brought him back, perhaps that's where her feelings had stemmed from, but now that small stem had become a rose garden. The deepest feelings ablaze, however at the smallest threat to the bat and nothing but thorns were to be seen. Thorns were like a flower's fangs, and if there was one thing Drusilla knew it was fangs.

She pulled away from the bat, "Hey don't laugh at me! I was offering to protect you... I DO have fangs, even if I rarely use them. I still have them." Drusilla pouted for a moment, "I could prove their effectiveness on you right now. Hmm?" The pout slowly formed into a grin and then a giggle, "Too bad I'm so attached to you, so no death by Drusilla for you. Only spider cuddles." She returned to nuzzling in the bat's neck, her hand playing with his hair or running her finger over one of his many scars. She was happy, spending time with Brandon like this curled up with him.

"No, we don't use web as an insult. I'm not sure why they use their version as a swear. Yes, there are plenty more. But in exchange you must tell me about Lhavit!" She smiled. "Next, Dek licker it means one who licks the deks. Cuckoo, Where a dek licker is implied to be without sense and stupid a cuckoo is implied to be both malicious and foreign. It takes its roots in the caste system of Wind Reach, implying A: you have risen above your caste to a place you should not be and B: You have compromised the nest for your own selfishness in doing so. People have killed for less than being called a cuckoo." Drusilla warned.

"Krric Troo, which means Blunt Claw, it is used to refer to someone who is dim witted, like a blunt claw. And last... Chuhn kariil, a phrase of both endearment and insult, it means Glossy Crest. In compliment, it is to one who looks lovely. In insult, the phrase can mean the individual is being too vain." Drusilla yawned, she was warm and comfortable and sleep was starting to set in along with her sleep speaking which was much like a truth serum and she spoke her mind. "I know how you see me know... But, I'm not giving up on being with you. Because I want to be with you no matter what." With that the Symenestra gave in to sleep happily curled up to the bat.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 30th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Drusilla's reply was affirmative, as he'd expected it would be, and she started listing a couple more swears, and while the bat did not make any more attempts to repeat the words out loud, he did pay attention tot he pronunciation, hoping to burn them into his memory. The main reason for his quietness was that Dru seemed to be getting sleepy, her eyes fluttering open and closed slowly. She did still speak though, uttering a phrase or two only Dru would voice. Brandon sighed. She would not give up eh? That was kind of problematic. For Dru, that is. She'd probably try her best to make Bran's feelings for her change, but both of them knew that wouldn't happen.

In the end, the spider would just be unsatisfied, and unhappy. Not quite like Bran would like her to be. But what could he do about it? Well, okay, he knew what he could do, but he didn't want to do it. The thief wouldn't change, he wouldn't stay. And he didn't want to be together with the Symenestra either. True, he enjoyed her company, but he wasn't interested in a relationship with her,. A relationship not unlike the one Zhol and Khara enjoyed together was just not appealing to the bat. It was too... restricting. Besides, Bran wasn't even sure if he was capable of loving that way. Sure, he could be a gentleman. He could be sweet and loving. He could be thoughtful and all that, but not all the time. Dru was just Dru; not a partner, but a sister of sorts.

Another sigh, and he stole a sideways glance at the spider's sleeping face. “How am I supposed to tell you about Lhavit if you fall asleep on me?” he breathed, sighing once more. “Seems like I'll be the one protecting you while you sleep, huh?” Though Brandon was pretty sleepy as well -especially so considering it was night. However, his mind kept him awake for now, and so did one of his arms; it was starting to feel as if it was filled with sand. Moving his fingers was becoming hard, though not impossible. Blowing a lock of hair out of his eyes, Brandon stared at the ceiling, pondering. Maybe he should start actively looking for the things that Dira had sent him to Wind Reach for. Surely those things did not come falling out of the sky; they had to be hiding within the city, no? The deep warrens maybe?

Speaking of which, it seemed that idiot Turrin had done something right after all. Bran had been rather worried when the endal had snatched the head of the corpse away before its body went up in flames. A stupid action, especially considering how much chaos that thing had caused in the market; and the effort it had taken to destroy it. At least Turrin had thrown it into the heart of the mountain like he had said he would, and not made it a trophy and stored it under a glass bell. Seemed he had some wit after all. What had Dru mentioned of other strange events? A god that broke free from under the mountain? Wasn't that.. what had Gallan said about that? Something about a storm of magic, or so?

The riots were old news of course, the result of a famine. The onslaught still lived on in the memories of most inhabitants of the mountain though. Dek -and other castes- still whispered of Turrin cutting out and offering the heart of a dek to one or other goddess, then eating it. Hadn't made him popular. Then there was Zhol, who'd spoken of an angry mob wanting to eat the horses of the stables. There were many others of course, but those two examples were the only ones Bran could think of right now. He too was starting to lose the battle against sleep; actually gladly giving in as his eyelids grew heavy and fell shut without him noticing.

And then... then there was only the sweet nothingness of dreamless sleep.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on December 4th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Your Grades!
Brought to you on the wings of a Dove!

Please remember to edit your grading request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Name: Brandon Blackwing
XP Award:
  • Suberfuge 2
  • Socialisation 4
  • Rhetoric 1
  • Larceny 1
  • Persuasion 1
  • Massage 3
  • Planning 1
  • Medicine 1
Lore:
  • Use a roll of blanket to mimic a body
  • Greetings in Nari
  • Dru: like a sister
  • Medicine: signs of dehydration
  • Choosing baby names
  • Insults in Nari
Notes: Enjoy your grades

Name: Drusilla
XP Award:
  • Stealth 1
  • Larceny 1
  • Socialisation 3
  • Sewing 1
  • Observation 3
  • Medicine 1
  • Subterfuge 1
  • Teaching 2
  • Seduction 2
Lore:
  • Stealing rugberry for a friend
  • Subterfuge: changing languages to conceal meaning
  • Medicine: signs of dehydration
  • Rats: an easy snack
  • Choosing baby names
  • Brandon: makes me feel safe
  • Teaching Brandon Nari
Notes: Enjoy your grades.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Previous