Music Lores and Skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Music Lores and Skills

Postby Orin Fenix on March 1st, 2015, 7:43 pm

Hi guys! So, as a huge fan of this site and a former musician and current shower singer, I wanted to see if there was any interest in developing the musical parts of Mizahar. Looking at the current lore there isn't a complete writeup listed under the Playing Musical Instrument skill, the Music Composition skill or the Singing skill pages. Also, the related skill of Busking needs some fleshing out (and Acting potentially could be added to this list). And, outside of the price list, there doesn't appear to be any information on musical instruments. I just wanted to gauge interest in helping develop some of this information. I know there was a music development thread that was focused more on user submitted compositions, which I'd be happy to entertain as well, but this project would mainly be focused on developing lore focused around music. Also, potentially coming up with some musical styles that are unique to each city could be a fun side project that we could tackle. It's been a little too long since I studied music theory or played an instrument significantly and I certainly am not an expert on every type of musical style or instrument out there, so I would appreciate help on this one. Also, I've never helped develop lore before so I'm going to apologize in advance for all the mistakes I might make and thank everyone for their patience and support. Assuming I actually get any work done on this of course.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Music Lores and Skills

Postby Rayage on March 1st, 2015, 8:29 pm

That sounds freaking amazing Orin. It is awesome because Audius just came out. I am sure you will get support from the players.

If you can offer your insight and talents in the musical world, and WANT to share it with use, then please feel free to do so. Dont worry about having never 'developed' lore before, there are plenty of things to reference for structure and style around the site. Poke around the Development forum and look at other articles which have been written (Blacksmithing and Glassworking are great ones to reference for skills). Just keep in mind that the skills need to be written in such a way that someone with no real life experience can take away the basics of the skill and be able to RP it at nearly any level. (I am sure the deeper they get into the skill the more out of site research they will do)

If you write the skill, when it gets to the peer review stage send me a link. Ill peer review it.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Music Lores and Skills

Postby Phaylix Whitevine on March 2nd, 2015, 3:35 am

P H A Y L I X

I'll help ya, Orin. We Vanthas are the undisputed champs of acting, singing, and playing.

RECRUITS! WE NEED RECRUITS!
MADNESS Is Hereditary

COMMON | VANI | SYMENOS | Thoughts
Phaylix Whitevine
MADNESS Is Hereditary

Words: 32937
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2014, 4:46 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Music Lores and Skills

Postby Gossamer on March 2nd, 2015, 3:37 am

Just be sure you pick ONE project and stick with it to the end rather than start three or four and finish none of them.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Music Lores and Skills

Postby Karin on September 11th, 2015, 9:16 am

I'm relatively new here, but ever since I started I've wanted to put my music education (I'm working towards a degree in music) to good use. Namely, I'd like to develop the musical instruments, maybe gather them all up on one wiki page with a small history/guide on how to play.
Note :
I was thinking, for example: Bagpipes.
  • Physical description:
  • History:
  • Uses: (i.e. religious, secular, dance...)

So, if you're looking for any help Orin, or still interested in developing the music of Miz then waves!
P.s. As for the skill write-ups, I wouldn't feel confident enough in my abilities yet, but I'm more than happy to learn how to do it. It just might take awhile. xD

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)