PM to join A murder's nest

Minim and Xira at the Raven's perch

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A murder's nest

Postby Xira Hezmek on September 27th, 2015, 11:17 am

5th of Fall 515

Normally, the scholarly courier's studies took him no further then the Sanctuary's own personal library. But Xira's thirst could not be slaked by just a single source. So when he discovered that the Raven's perch was not unlike a library in it's own right, well... he had to go visit it himself. That day Xira closed up shop early and headed over to the scholar's hang out.

That said, he knew almost nothing of place. He had his own books though from the library, some rolls of parchment and his own personal notebook of course. It was exciting in it's own way, something that the courier only got when he was delving into mysteries and secrets.

T'kana looked up as he entered, her beautiful pale face neutral as she waved him over. "Entry fee is 5 silver rimed mizas. Since you are new, please be sure to remember that there is no food or drink in the 'Perch under any circumstances. Let me know if you see something on the shelves and I can grab it for you." She looked down and noted the book and its title under his arm, "You damage our books and you will have to buy it's replacement. Enjoy your afternoon of studying, call me if you need anything." The konti's neutral expression hadn't changed through the entire monologue. Once finished and the fee exchanged, she immediately returned to a book that she immersed herself so completely that it was a wonder that she was aware of anything at all.

Xira nodded and smiled, settling his things down at an empty table and went to explore the new surroundings. Such was a courier's instinct. Find the lay of the land before you do anything else. The entire room was very comfortable. Cozy even. It was long and narrow and filled with locked cabinets. Books and scrolls and exotic bound artifacts lined every available space beyond the protective locks. Where there weren't books there were comfortable chairs and there were stern and severe backed chairs, much of the former were taken and only those stern and severe themselves took on the straight backed former. Many of the clientale were older men and women, though many of the men were blue hued and yellow eyed. Interestingly there was a sort of order to them. They formed cliques or small exclusive groups or they sat apart content on their own thoughts; deep in study of one sort or another.

Xira wasn't necessarily there for the people though. He was more interested in the preciously hoarded knowledge behind the protective locks.

By the time he was finished and T’kana retrieved all the books that he requested the courier had a small stack around himself at his table. Books on geology for his Reimancy, books on mathematics for his business, books on the Gods and legends surrounding them for... a different project. There was little chance of finding magic books in there, and if they were there it was unlikely he would have found them. Xira learned early on that much of the books to be found were in a host of languages wholly unknown to him. He recognized Tukant and Nader Conach, though he did not know anything at all to be able to read them. Soon he hoped to have gone through enough classes to do so though.

First he supposed he better start with Geology. A Theoretical Field Guide to Semele's Body was promising. It was an older tome, hand bound in a deep red dyed leather. It's embossed lettering across its spine had a silver gilt that was faded due to what seemed to be great age. Thankfully it was written in common.

Unfortunately Xira did not have the foresight to pack charcoal or a pencil... only ink, which he did not trust himself to use around all these priceless treasures. He gave a prayer to Qayala for his lapse in memory, adding to it that he sought her blessing for this study session. "Oh Qayala, please forgive my absentmindedness." He said as he drew inwards. He closed his eyes and pulled on his lifestory, his soul and drew forth from that core of Earth a thread of Res. From his palm violet Res coalesced into a stream and cut short about the length of his palm, no thinner then a quill. He concentrated on the description of the specimen described on the page before him. He closed his fist not on res but a thin rod of something not unlike graphite. A stone that could be written with like charcoal.

He was so involved in his resulting work that he did not notice a fellow scholar taking a seat across from him. Instead he continued writing down notes from his geology book. It was actually much more simple than he expected. It explained how stone was actually the cooled remnants of lava, which was in turn Semele's lifeblood. It explained the nature of the kinds of stone out there and the difference between rock and mineral from a theoretical standpoint. But it was confusing as well, using metaphors that Xira didn't quite get.

He looked up, just for a moment, catching something out of his eye and frowned to himself. "Hello there, I got too caught up in my studies and didn't notice you sit down. Good afternoon." He said, his expression twisting back into its usual smile.

Ledger: -5 GM Entry fee
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on March 15th, 2016, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

A murder's nest

Postby Minnim on September 29th, 2015, 12:00 am

OOCSorry about the long post. I got a littlw carried away. :p

The art of persuasion is a fine one, mastered over the course of a lifetime.

Minnim rolled his eyes as he read the introductory line. He had had more than four lifetimes of practice, and still, he could not seem to master the skill. His lack of persuasive skills was exactly the reason he took up Hypnotism. He had hoped it would prevent him from having to partake in conversations for any longer than he had to, instead hypnotizing others into avoiding and perhaps even fearing him. And yet, here he was in a dusty old bookish hideout, sitting across from an elderly woman who seemed more interested in chattering at him than doing her research.

Blatantly ignoring her, Minnim continued his work. Flipping to the section on suggestions, Minnim read.

Persuasion is nost powerful when the subject believes that you have not persuaded them at all. Rather, they must believe that they arrived at the conclusion on their own. This can be done by first presenting the facts in your favor, and then proposing a set of solutions or suggestions, allowing them to "pick" the best.

That, Minnim decided, must be a good rule to follow for hypnotism. Glancing up at the woman, he felt a small grin blossom over his wrinkled face. He concentrated on feeling the flow of djed in his body, feeling it pump through him. He took a breath, calling the power into his mouth and lacing his black tongue with the poison. When he spoke, his words were laced with it.
"Ma'am, you are too kind. I can't believe you came to talk to me. I scare most folks off."

A look of faint confusion crossed the woman's face as she struggled to understand his sudden compliance. Still, he trudged on.

"Yes, it really is strange. Usually, my appearance scares people, my deep eyes and rotten smell, as well as my quiet, brooding manner. I think...you are afraid of me, aren't you? You regret talking to me, and you even want to change spots."

Minnim added a swift burst of emotional suggestion, working with the fear that he had already planted there and amplifying it. He could see on her face that she was feeling the fright, but she smiled through it. Though his hypnotic magic was clearly having an effect, the woman was not swayed greatly enough to leave. "No, I think you're a nice boy." She whispered cautiously, as though she were reassuring herself. "You just need some care. That's all." As she spoke, she returned to her original, perky tone, and even added a smile.

Minnim slumped in his chair and sighed, accepting his failure.

"Nevermind. I've got to go." The Nuit stood, gathering his book, On the Art of Persuasion, and shambled off to find another, quieter table. Unfortunately, he could find not a single table that he deemed "safe". Minnim was forced to take the lesser of all evils, seating himself across from a studious young man.

Though it started off well, it wasn't long before the man addressed Minnim in a friendly manner. Hopelessly, Minnim gave in.
"Afternoon." He mumbled, "Don't you have something to study?"
Minnim
Old Soul

Words: 42496
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 3:27 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A murder's nest

Postby Xira Hezmek on October 19th, 2015, 6:42 am

Far from being upset or offended by the gentleman before him Xira found himself actually amused. He flicked his gaze over elder. The creature before him was not unlike a skeleton. Thin to emaciation with deepset eyes in a frowning, wrinkled face. Not the face of a man who spent years laughing and smiling, but those of a miser, a man who was angry at the world. There was something... off putting about him though, something that made his amusement sit in a more philosophical place. Where a beard might make a man jolly, on this specimen it made him a bit menacing. At least, it could be if he put his mind to it. But that tone of exasperation, goodness, from such a man who could not be amused?

He spotted the book the man was attempting to study from and his lips quirked into a smile. "Please, on no account let me interrupt you. But you know, persuasion also works very well when one is kind or you manage to get the other person to like you. It helps with... what is the word... Rapport?" He was about to get back to his book before he looked up again. "I hope you don't mind if I practice a bit of magic. I understand in riverfall it is more accepted, but since you are neither blue nor any of the other colors that might mark you a denizen here I figure that it would be polite to ask."

With that he turned a page and skimmed down his book on stone, ready to respond if his newly found persnickety company had objections.

It was all fairly interesting, in that dry and musty way that scholar's descriptions and tables of information tended to be. With a book like this he could practice mimicking natural stone using magic for days. Be it shale or sandstone, clay or silt, obsidian or granite, he might sit there absorbed completely. Funny that anyone outside of an earth reimancer might be hopelessly bored. Though Xira could admit the way these authors wrote did tend to be very tiring.

Whatever the answer was, Xira wrote a few notes with his rod of graphite and began the process of drawing out djed. He reached down into the core of himself once more to touch the stone of his being. He willed it back out through the layers of himself until a bead of Res prespired through a finger tip. From a bead the droplet grew to the size of a Miza and irregular. Not unlike a hatched sketch of the book on geology. He muttered a soft command word and the res shivered and transmuted into a stone. Remarkably, it was like the stone of his home in Syliras, the gray granite of the walls.

"Drat. That wasn't quite right." He frowned at the stone in his palm. He had to think. He set the stone down on the table as he considered. His eyes slowly drifted to the man sat in front of him. The man looked... Ill on second inspection. Hopefully things were alright with him.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

A murder's nest

Postby Konrad Venger on March 8th, 2016, 5:49 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Minnim

PM me when you've deducted your Seasonal Expenses and you, too, will be showered with rewards!

Xira

XP:
Observation - 2
Reimancy - 2
Geology - 2
Socialization - 1

Lore:
The Raven's Perch: A Place Of Learning, But Not Food And Drink
Reimancy: Making A Pencil
Geology: Lava Makes Stone
Geology: A Useful Reimancy Tool

Click Me! :
I really enjoy how acessible and studious you make your threads. You seem to have a nice balance between describing the WHERE and the WHO; in this case, Xira going about bettering himself. I loved using Reimancy to make a PENCIL, that was truly inspired!

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4