Closed Are We There Yet? (Aren, Isolde, Orin)

Sayana, Orin, Aren, and Isolde embark on their journey to Sunset Falls (Part 1 of 2)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Are We There Yet? (Aren, Isolde, Orin)

Postby Sayana on June 2nd, 2015, 10:52 pm

After Sayana’s request for Aren to start the fire, she watched as he seemed to struggle with the task. It was quite unlike his first demonstration of his magic and after the wispy material burst into flame where the wood was, he was so drained that he collapsed back. Worry clearly showed on her face as she reached out a hand to rest upon his shoulder.

Isolde also seemed worried about his condition and Sayana listened to the nuit’s advice. For a nuit she really did seem to care about those around her. “I’ll go get my waterskin and see if I have any raisins left. I forget if you like raisins or not.” The Eypharian said quickly as she went to rummage in her backpack. The waterskin was half full and there was only a handful of the dried fruit but it’d have to do and she offered them to her lover. “Did you even eat any sort of lunch?” Sayana questioned him as the possibility dawned on her.

“You stay here. It’s not going to help any if you’re in no good shape tomorrow.” The Eypharian said firmly as she finally went off to get the tent. “Isolde, if you could help me with the tent that would be wonderful.” As Sayana started to set it up, she positioned herself so she could watch the Akalak and hopefully catch any more fights between him and the cook before they started. Perhaps this was what being a mother was like should she have a second child. Orin on his part was staying resolutely sullen and quiet but at least he seemed to be working on some food.

Should Isolde offer to help, Sayana would direct her to hold this or tie that. There were also some pegs to hammer in with the blunt of her axe. However, even though the man at the Bazaar had struggled to put up the tent on his own as a demonstration, Sayana had the benefit of several hands to hold this or that and tie the little strings attached to the tent fabric to the wooden poles. It was a little sloppy and just a bit wobbly but the triangular tent seemed serviceable when she was done. The top was a little higher than her own head, but not by much and the majority of them would have to duck upon entering and mostly use it for sleeping.

Next, Sayana gathered up the bedrolls and blankets and set them up within the tent. She tried a couple of arrangements with the rolls in every case they seemed quite tightly fit together. So long as people just slept and didn’t fuss, they’d get through the night. By the time it was set up she was starting to smell nice things from the fire. Even in Orin’s exhausted condition it seemed like he could make delicious food. It didn’t seem quite done yet so she moved to sit with Aren. If he would allow it, she would prop him up into a sitting position so she could get behind him and start massaging his shoulders and back. She would also brace him sufficiently with a separate pair of arms so he wouldn’t need to support his own weight. She assumed his shoulders were sore from the heavy backpack and she worked her hands deeply in and around them. She also just wanted to feel close to him after all that transpired and attempt to make up for the hurt she had caused earlier.

When at last Orin said the food was ready, Sayana got up to serve both Aren and herself and bring the hot steaming bowls to the Akalak. “For something cooked outside the kitchen, this is delicious,” Sayana spoke to the cook hoping to get him out of his sullen mood while not agitating her lover. It was strange for the usually chatty cook to be so quiet but perhaps everyone was just exhausted from the trip. If there was more soup Sayana would happily serve an additional bowl to Aren under the assumption that he hadn’t eaten since the morning. Looking back, the morning seemed so far away and now they were out here with a tent in fire in the middle of the woods.

“I’ll help clean up and get water for the fire. Orin, Aren it might be best if you both call it a night. I have bedrolls and blankets set up. And please… I don’t think we need anymore tonight.” Sayana said in a half pleading tone in regards to all the scuffles and arguments between them. The Eypharian would do a quick rinse of the dishes in the river water and pack away their belongings in a tidy fashion. The last thing she’d do was fill the pot with water and dump it on the fire only after everyone had made it to the tent. Should anyone try to argue, she was too tired to make a fuss and would let them have their way. Despite having more energy than some of them, she too had had a long day and was ready for a good sleep.

OOCThis is my last post. Sorry if I repeated too much of the tent setting up. I was trying to find myself again after the interruption with Aren's exhaustion. I hope I didn't assume too much elsewhere.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Aren on June 3rd, 2015, 10:18 pm

Aren's face contorted into a grimace at Sayana's mention of raisins. He hadn't eaten any lunch -having had no appetite- and the prospect of swallowing dried grapes didn't do much to help in that respect. Still, he understood that he had to eat, that he had to get his strength back. He absolutely refused to eat raisins, but perhaps he wouldn't turn down something a bit more substantial.

Immediately after the Reimancer had gotten his breath back, he propped himself up on his elbows and glanced towards Isolde. The Nuit seemed to suggest that she knew something about personal magic, which did not surprise Aren in the least. "Just tired," He said, succinctly. While Orin or Sayana may not have realized what the two were talking about, the Akalak felt him and Isolde understood each other perfectly. Her advice was prudent, he knew, and slowly the fact that the woman was a corpse was starting to matter less and less.

Sayana went off to try to set up their tents, and though regretful that he couldn't offer her any help, Aren knew that all he could do was stay where he was, rest, and watch Orin prepare the party's supper. The chef's movements were almost hypnotic, and the warrior could tell that this was a man who had honed his craft into an art form. He had seen such men on the battlefield, artists whose brushstrokes were in blood and whose hands created a portrait of death. It was remarkable to watch, and despite Orin's rudimentary tools, he displayed that same mastery. The smell wafted to the tired giant's nose in thin, delicate wisps, and suddenly Aren found that he had quite the appetite.

Sayana soon rejoined the Akalak's side, and her soft hands on his shoulders felt like a soothing balm for his fatigue. They wouldn't eliminate it completely, but he began to feel like this trip might not be so bad, after all. He had grown accustomed to Isolde's presence, and thought Orin was obviously still angry with him, Aren no longer felt the same way. Life was either too long to hold grudges, or too short to die with resentment in your heart. Besides that, the Akalak saved most of his righteous indignation for one man, and Orin wasn't it. Even had the giant still been irate with the young man, he'd have been hard pressed to remain so after tasting the fine meal the cook had prepared for them.

Sayana had enough arms to feed herself, and her lover, and still have some left over to prop him up too, which was something he still found remarkable. "You're not wrong," The giant agreed with the Eypharian's assertion of the victuals, his voice devoid of any anger or hostility. Aren felt a little guilty eating the food that Orin had prepared, after what he'd done, but he also knew that he had to regain his strength. The wilds could be dangerous, however, which meant he needed to be capable of participating in the group's defense, if it came to it. Beyond that, any ill will he might have had towards the chef vanished with the clear headed realization that the boy was not to blame for what had transpired between them.

"It wasn't his fault Sayana," The Akalak glanced towards his lover with a pained expression, "He didn't do anything to be ashamed of, which is more than I can say for myself." Aren did not wish to get into the subject with the others present, but he couldn't allow Orin to be blamed for what wasn't his fault. "Lady Isolde..." He twisted his neck to glance at the Nuit in question, "...Is not a bad person, I think, and he was right to stand up for her."

The warrior smiled, feeling comfortable in the presence of the entire group for the first time since the trip started, and with some effort came to his feet to find his way towards the tent that Sayana had set up. "Good night," He offered with a slight nod, in his native tongue, for reasons he himself didn't really understand.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Nivel on September 29th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Sayana :
XP Award:
  • Planning 3
  • Cooking 1
  • Rhetoric 3
  • Negotiation 4
  • Organization 4
  • Riding 5
  • Horsemanship 2
  • Leadership 5
  • Intimidation 2
  • Persuasion 5
  • Teaching 3
  • Deduction 1
  • Interrogation 1
  • Land navigation 5
  • Tactics 1
  • Hostessing 2
  • Endurance 1
  • Meditation 1
  • Scavenge 2
  • Wilderness survival 3
Lore:
  • Planning:Preparing for Travel
  • Isolde: Orin’s nuit squire friend
  • Nuit: Souls trapped in lifeless bodies by a dark ritual
  • Bakar is also a Nuit
  • Mithryn outpost is a potentially good place to raise children
  • Isolde lost a daughter
  • ”If you’re trying to get to the falls and you’re going downstream, then you’re going the wrong way”
Notes: Very awesome thread, I really like the bonding between you and Isolde and you and Aren have a lot of chemistry and feel like a very realistic couple. Although considering your skill level I felt you were a little to awesome on your horse. I could have missed something but I didn't see any point when you stuggled. I still gave you 5 because there was enough detail in the act that I couldn't not give you points in the skill.

Aren :
XP Award:
  • Planning 1
  • Organization 1
  • Flirting 1
  • Seduction 1
  • Observation 2
  • Detection 1
  • Investigation 1
  • Subterfuge 3
  • Acting 3
  • Tactics 4
  • Intimidation 5
  • Running 5
  • Rhetoric 3
  • Endurance 3
  • Leadership 1
  • Scouting 1
  • Intelligence 1
  • Meditation 1
  • Reimancy 1
  • Wilderness survival 1
Lore:
  • Isolde: Orin’s dead squire friend
  • Orin’s dark past
  • Sayana’s lie
Notes: I really liked you as the "Villain of this thread, you created a lot of drama and it was magical. I do think that more effort could be put into showing that you were running most of the time. You seemed to have effortless conversations for someone running along side horses.

Isolde :
XP Award:
  • Planning 1
  • Animal husbandry 5
  • Horsemanship 4
  • Riding 5
  • Organization 2
  • Observation 5
  • Socialization 4
  • Acting 1
  • Teaching 1
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Endurance 2
  • Land navigation 5
  • Leadership 4
  • Detection 1
  • Medicine 1
  • Meditation 1
  • Wilderness survival 1
Lore:
  • Becoming aquatinted with Gretta
  • Horsemanship: How to saddle a horse
  • Sayana: Orin’s many armed friend
  • Aren: Sayana’s scary colossal blue “Lover”
  • If you don’t have confidence in yourself how can others have confidence in you
  • Aren: possible malicious intent
  • Avitar: the main waterway that feeds into the Mithryn fields
  • Sayana’s horse Cinnamon
  • Orin’s horse Marigold

Rewards:
  • 2 shield points for training
  • 1 shield point for helping an injured citizen
Notes: Good job, I really sympathized for Isolde in this thread. I do think you should have made riding seem like it was a bit more difficult for Isolde, otherwise it was good.

Orin :
XP Award:
  • Animal husbandry 1
  • Horsemanship 2
  • Riding 5
  • Tactics 4
  • Persuasion 5
  • Organization 3
  • Intimidation 5
  • Leadership 3
  • Rhetoric 3
  • Psychology 1
  • Philosophy 1
  • 1 Acrobatics 1
  • Endurance 3
  • Land navigation 3
  • Digging 1
  • Wilderness survival 2
  • Construction 1
  • Planning 1
  • Cooking 1
Lore:
  • Marigold the pony
  • Horsemanship: brush a horse before and after you ride.
  • Horsemanship: How to saddle a horse
  • Riding: How to stop a rampaging horse
  • Aren: The “A” stands for A-hole
  • Wilderness survival: Building a fire pit
Rewards:
  • A boring old walking stick :)
Notes: Great job, I think you expressed Orin's feelings and actions really well. There was some weirdness in the beginning were you seem to be pissed of at Sayana for no reason but other than that you did good.

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)