PM to join Rip Roaring Drunk (Alija)

So a pair of mages meet in a bar...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Rip Roaring Drunk (Alija)

Postby Aryanha Spitfire on January 22nd, 2015, 5:06 am

Time Stamp: Winter 7

No one told her it was going to be this cold. She might not have believed them if they had, but the point was moot now. Zeltira, the city with the famed University, was freezing cold in winter. At least compared to the tropics of Blackrock. Riverfall hadn’t been too bad, nor the Sea of Grass, nor even the Wildlands. But Zeltiva made Aryanha want to light her accommodations on fire just to enjoy the warmth they’d provide.

She’d have to see about a proper place to stay soon, maybe even sell her horse and pick up a job. Assuming she’d stay here long. Winter wasn’t a good time for travelling but if it got colder what good cheer she’d managed to stir up since finally arriving at her destination. But she had to manage her priorities first. And more important than finding a place to stay was making herself known to the university so that she could take advantage of its resources and professors. There was so much to learn and it filled her heart with warmth knowing that attaining proper tutelage was once more within her grasp. But not so warm as a good mug of ale, which brought her to her even more important priority. Celebrating!

A night of boozing was definitely in order. She could pitch her tent on the outskirts of the city for now. It would be cold, but she could handle it until she found somewhere proper. Worst came to worst she could always eat her horse. Maybe she’d meet some sexy professor from the university at a tavern and she could stay with him. Now that sounded like a good plan. A year curled up in a library with a hearth and an elegant, intelligent instructor to help her refine her skills and blossom new ones. How could any of them possibly resist her?

Not that her llama wool dress did much to display her features, especially with her heavy cloak bundled around her to stave off the cold. She’d be lucky to attract anything other than a cold in this weather. The first tavern she saw, a thing building just shy of decrepit with a dolphin painted on the sign—either that or a drunk shark, it could be either really—she ducked inside of.

The warmth hit her first, a mixture of the bodies packed inside and the torches lining the wall. She threw back her head and cloak and simply basked in the glorious heat for a few moments. The establishment carried with it all the usual stinks and stenches of its sort. Spilled alcohol, torch smoke, and body odor from men after a hard day’s labor. The sailors especially carried with them their own smells that she was learning to identify. Tat and pitch, grog and salt. The dolphin or drunk shark tavern sold fried fish. Somebody had just ordered a fresh plate.

More than a few eyes found her when she opened hers. Many glanced away while just as many leered. A halter top dress wasn’t exactly appropriate for this time of year, even if it was made of warm llama wool. And there wasn’t a single woman as tall as she was in the entire building, though there were plenty of females of varying walks of life, from girls with painted faces to those in modest dresses clutching books tight to them in the corner. Academics from the look of them, sharing in good cheer from the look of them.

Aryanha made to head in their direction but a disdainful glance from one of them brought her up short. She was tempted to stroll over and sit down at their table just to spite them but resisted the urge. This was her first night properly in town and she didn’t want to get off on the wrong coil. At least not until she was good and plied with enough alcohol to make every man in the place gorgeous as the gods. Then she could go and steal their boyfriends, assuming those stuck up would-be scholars had anything resembling love lives.

She idled up to the bar and parked herself next to a girl who didn’t look all that different from the academics but who wasn’t accompanied by anyone. Aryanha paid her no mind as she grabbed the barkeep’s attention and signaled for a mug. Perhaps she’d order a bit of fish while she was at it. No, probably best not to whet her appetite before she could land a proper meal. Just the booze then.

She took a long drag and dropped her tankard back to the table, savoring the taste of the warm beverage. Apparently heated alcohol was the way to go in the winter and she couldn’t say she disagreed with the effect it had on her throat and belly. She glanced over at the girl beside her and took a more studious look.

“Okay, you keep moping like that and you’re gonna make my drink taste like tears. I swear, it’s like you’re trying to throw a wet blanket over the whole room. Who’s the guy that dumped you and how hard you like me to kick him between the legs when I see him?”
Aryanha Spitfire
Player

Words: 10447
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2015, 11:19 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Alija on January 22nd, 2015, 6:14 pm

It had been a slow day. No work, as the blacksmith had closed for a few days. No one to occupy her, but herself, but Alija had had enough with being alone. She had gone for a walk, long and endless, searching through the streets for nothing nor anyone in particular. She was tired, cold and hungry, her bad mood evident even before she had approached the university.

On any other day, she would have looked at it with some longing, before searching through the courses, willing to join. Yet this day, it broke her. On seeing the university, she had shrunk away, head bursting with feelings of anger. There they were, young students practising their new magic, while she, who would be a much better student, was on the other side, wasting away. There was only one place to rid a depression that bad: the tavern.

Alija was on her second pint, despite the foul, salty taste of dead fish and the high alcohol content. She had never drunk properly before, but remained a quiet, sad figure slouched in a corner all alone. That was before Aryanha came over.
"Guy?" she scoffed at the woman's question, "I don't think the university has legs, but if you find them, kick with all your strength. Stupid jerks! I should be there!"

She spat out the drink, a new energy in her, "Yeah! I should just go over and kick that asylum jerk in the face! Set fire to the place! Bet they wouldn't like me sneaking in!"

Stopping in the midst of her crescendo, she sunk back to her seat, swivelling the liquid in her glass. "Stupid, petching... jerks!" Alija never swore before.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Aryanha Spitfire on January 22nd, 2015, 8:52 pm

Sweet Dira’s mammaries. And they called her Spitfire. “I’ll be sure to do that,” she assured her new drinking partner. The lightweight couldn’t have that much in her, but something had stoked her fires and Aryanha simply had to know. Had to. Her mother had warned her about playing with fire and look how well that had turned out for her.

The young woman reminded her a little of a badger. Small but intensely fierce. Ready to lash out at just about anything. How could she not bait her? “Pyro girl, huh? That why the petching jerks didn’t let you in? You say that to ‘em during your interview? Bet that kind of language went over real good. Excuse me sir, I’d like to use your petching library, you don’t mind if I petching burn it down, do you?”

It was only after that she realized that if the girl was a would-be university student, that she might be an aspiring mage, perhaps already learned in certain magics. Baiting her probably hadn’t been the best course of action if she wanted to ply her of secrets. But then again, even if she had any to trade the girl was clearly just drunk enough to make anything she said circumspect. There was only one solution to this. More booze.

She gestured to the barkeep and with a sultry wink had another pair of pints dropped before them. “Drink deep and live full!” She raised her tankard in a salute to the maybe-fellow-mage and tried to down more of hers in one go than her partner could. With half the pint pleasantly burning its way down her throat, she took a deep breath. “So what happen? Some old man start tryin’ to touch you where he shouldn’t? You set his pants on fire or what?” She gestured vigorously with her hand. “Details, girl, details.”

Aryanha settled into her stool and leaned against the bar, blatantly relaxed. The drink did wonderful, warm things to her muscles and made the girl’s words far more fascinating. She glanced at her mug. Just what was in this drink? She was hardly a lightweight to get tipsy after only a pint or two. They were definitely going to need more of this stuff.
Aryanha Spitfire
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alija on January 22nd, 2015, 9:29 pm

Goodbye wrote:
Alija looked confused at the woman as she called her Pyro girl. Who was this person, and why was she acting so... Alija couldn't think of the word. Regaining some sense, she replied honestly, only sign of drunkness the openess and slurred voice, "Naa, never would. Don't have the courage. Tried to stay.. convincing and positive. Didn't think that during the interview."

She rejected the mug, asking for water to try to sober up. Drunk meant stupid, and Alija didn't like stupid. "A man? No man," she frowned, wondering what her companian was on about, "And set his pants on fire! If there was a man, I wish I could, but being a blacksmith doesn't make you good at reimancy. No, just the stupid interview with that petching woman, who wouldn't let me learn more magic!"

The glass of murky water was placed beside her, but she ignored it, new rage reaching for the beer. She downed it, head startimg to spin. "Maybe... I... " She placed her head on the bar, taking deep breaths. "Stupid petching university."
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aryanha Spitfire on January 23rd, 2015, 4:33 am

“Why wouldn’t she let you study?” Aryanha urged, nursing her own mug. She’d been ready to be offended when the girl seemed to reject her drink, but she downed it quickly enough. More than quickly enough. She put it away like a glass of water. Little thing would be seeing three of her before too long. And that just wasn’t right because Aryanha could only see two of her.

“That…” she said something sibilant in snake-tongue that didn’t warrant a translation, though its spite came through clearly enough. “She jealous of you, or what? You take her man? She want yours?” She finished the rest of her mug. Ah, there was the girl’s third bleary image.

Hey wait a minute! She’d just confirmed that she did know magic. Not reimancy though, something else. And that was important for reasons her brain couldn’t quite process. It was important…for reasons. She let the thought slide away, filed away to be withdrawn sometime in the morning, preferably after recovering from the inevitable hangover.

“Maybe you just suck eggs at magic,” Aryanha offered, then gasped as another idea pulled itself free of the alcohol. “Maybe she was jealous, ‘cause you’re so good at it, yeah? Come on, tell meeee. ‘Cause ya know, I was thinking of going to the University.” She pulled back, wondering when she’d leaned in so close to her drinking partner, and nodded sagely. “I’m gonna be the best mage in this whole town.” She hiccupped.
Aryanha Spitfire
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alija on January 23rd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Alija did little but stare confused at Aryanha. Perhaps it was the alcohol, but she didn't understand a word she was saying. "My...man...? No..." Alija mumbled, "I'm not that good, am I? No, not that good. But good. Yeah! That's why! Said I lacked dedication! Motivation! Me!" She hiccuped, slowing down a little.

"You, university, mage?" she made out from the words. Everything was blurring together: her words, her sight, her sound. "You, magic? I'll tell you! Stupid petching jerks think I can't study magic, cuz I ain't nothing but a dabbler! A dabbler! Well, I'm gonna show them!"

She rose, swinging drunkly to the door, before slumping onto a bench beside the door. "Just..." she shouted across the room, "Can't go running of just yet. Wanna come? Show that university who we are! Not just a dabbler. Know any offensive magic? I don't think-"

Alija was unable to finish the sentence, tipping onto the ground with a moan. "Best mage!" she laughed at what the woman had said a few minutes before, as if just hearing it, "Only if you can do better than me! What do you know, some stupid mrophing? Turn into a little birdie to fly away! Nothing beats Auristics!" She gave out a cheer, although she heard a nagging voice answering what she had just said: Only problem is that you're drunk, you drunk! Can't do it now!

Ignoring the voice, forced herself to focus on the woman's aura. It swirled into view, blurred and unclear. The colout was gone, the only disctinct thing the... snake wrapped around it, orange as fire. No, that couldn't be real. It was her drunkness, playing tricks on her mind. Why else would she see that?
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aryanha Spitfire on January 24th, 2015, 4:19 am

Motivation? Did those idiots realize how much motivation a girl had to have to learn any sort of magic at all? People had all kinds of thoughts about it, a good many of which were less than pleasant. Not to mention the risks that came along with practicing. She said so, vehemently and with much slurred swearing in snake-tongue, finishing up with “Motivation” and spitting off to the side.

A dabbler? Something about that word struck home in Aryanha and she felt an instant kinship with the woman. Dabbler. That was what she did no? Trying to pick up multiple skills, spells, and tricks? Her master had often called her undisciplined. She grinned, swaying after the girl to the bench and standing beside her with a hand on the wall to help steady it. The wall kept swaying like it was going to lean over. Or maybe that was her. “If you’re a dabbler than so am I!”

Her grin stayed in place up until the girl fell to the floor and scoffed at her. “Of course I do petching better than you! I do morphing and reimancy. Auristics? What ya gonna do, look at me? Huh?” She narrowed her eyes and leaned forward. “What you see anyways, when you look at me? My aura’s gorgeous, right?” She winked.

Aryanha pulled back and nearly joined the girl on the floor. Instead she leaned against the wall. To help hold it up, not because she was having trouble keeping her balance. They were attracting more than a little attention from the sailors, but Aryanha paid them no mind. Her thoughts were backtracking to other things the girl had said, half formed suggestions that really seemed more like important commands now. “You know something? You’re right. We should show those university…people…what a couple of dabblers can do.”

She reached down and easily lifted the girl to her feet as if she weighed no more than a child, though she did take a few extra moments to correct her balance when she stood upright. “You and me,” she said, pulling the girl through the door, heedless of the calls of the unpaid barkeep. “We’ll show ‘em what we know. Show ‘em they gotta take dabblers serious and…and stuff!”
Aryanha Spitfire
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alija on January 24th, 2015, 7:01 pm

"Tainted!" she spat out, "Your aura is tainted! Stupid alcohol!" Alija had a feeling that perhaps it wasn't just the drink, but the mysteries of the woman's aura would remain a mystery, at least for now. Aryanha slumped against the wall, looking at the sailors entertained faces.

“You know something? You’re right. We should show those university… people…what a couple of dabblers can do. We’ll show ‘em what we know. Show ‘em they gotta take dabblers serious and…and stuff!” she exclaimed, lifting Alija to her feet and pulling her out the door. Alija nodded in agreement before holding up a finger to ask her to wait.

Throwing up, she wiped her mouth before grabbing a mug if water from a random stranger on the street, who took it without protest. She gurgled the foul taste of rotten fish and the last meal she had eaten then took a long drink, sobering up a little.

"Wanna have some?" she asked, groaning a little, "Easier to do magic, when you're not that drunk!" She stumbled away, waiting for the woman to follow her. "Back entrance seems good, this way."

She led her to a small alleyway behind the university, pointing up the large crumbled brick wall. "Back entrance, used to sneak up here as a kid. Showed them then, show them now!" She tipped to one side, catching herself on the wall, "Help me up?"
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayana on October 8th, 2015, 2:41 am

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Aryanha
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Comments
If you return, please make sure you CS has been corrected so that there is no intervention and then PM me and I'll proceed with the grade.

Alija
Skills
  • Socialization: 4
  • Endurance: 4
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Auristics: 1
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Tactics: 1
Lores
  • Getting turned down by the University
  • Aryanha: Drinking partner
  • Auristics and drinking don't mix

Comments: Cute thread. Too bad it didn't get very far. It would have been fun to see them sneaking around the University, although very drunk.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)