New player questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

New player questions

Postby Min-Kyoung Park on October 13th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Hi there! I've been lurking in the chat for a few days and have also been reading up on all the rules here. My favorite rp site shut down recently and I'm looking for a new home! I'm almost certain that I'm going to choose Mizahar regardless, but there are some things I would like answered so I can gauge what to expect from my time here. I thank you for your time :)

1) My character concept is to be (or work up to be) something along the lines of a diplomat/politician in Lhavit. Is this possible and if so, would my decisions/actions affect the city in any way? I got a vague yes in chat the other day, but I wanted more details if possible.

2) Making a difference through roleplay is very important to me. What kind of site/lore impacting things do members get to impact through roleplay?

3) (answered)

4) I'm active, but by no means am I a thread spammer. That being said, if my stuff doesn't get graded for weeks on end I wouldn't want to have work pile up on the staff here. Having a realistic expectation would help me adjust my activity according to how quickly staff can process stuff. What are the thread grading time-frames like? This is usually a sore subject on sites that require staff to grade stuff, but I really would appreciate some input.

Edit:

5) I am particularly interested in getting the Ice Reaving Gnosis. Is this something I should try to get with the starting package, or just worry about later?
Last edited by Min-Kyoung Park on October 14th, 2015, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Min-Kyoung Park
Player

Words: 2320
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

New player questions

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on October 14th, 2015, 1:19 am

Welcome! You share a lot of my priorities, so I think I can answer some stuff!

You'll want to talk to Mirage and Neologism, the storytellers for Lhavit. Storytellers are the movers and shakers, Mizahar's DM-equivalent. Got an idea for how your character gets involved in the roiling politics of Lhavit? Talk to your storyteller! Maybe you're looking for a seat in the Radiant Tower, with the Lady Alses, the master wizard-turned-politician who has made powerful enemies with her radical reforms? Talk to your storyteller!

Take the initiative. Come up with cool stories, then make those stories happen. I just recently watched some Drykas players talk about how cool it would be to have a brush fire this season, and the Endrykas storyteller was just "Yeah cool!"

Be collaborative, and creative, and you can do some cool stuff and make cool things happen.

At least, that's what I'm gleaning from observation. I haven't actually done anything yet. School is hard.

As for large-scale stuff, above your own story, I'm not entirely sure. I don't have the experience to have an answer.

The name seems fine to me, but I'm sure someone will hit you up if it'll need changing.

No idea on grade times, either. I'm still kinda scrubby.

Personally, I'd go for Ice Reaving with your starting package. Gnosis quests can take a very long time to start, and a very long time to finish, from what I hear. You have until you hit 50 posts to apply for it. Ultimately it depends on what you want, and how you want your character to start.
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Words: 17646
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 1:52 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

New player questions

Postby Min-Kyoung Park on October 14th, 2015, 3:54 am

Thank you! I think you answered my questions sufficiently. I'll try to gauge how long grade time is based on existing threads. If I can't, I'll just ask around I guess.
Min-Kyoung Park
Player

Words: 2320
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Character sheet

New player questions

Postby Dove Brown on October 14th, 2015, 10:33 am

Grading times vary from city to city. Each city has a thread for grading requests, and the threads in it are graded in order. Lhavit's thread is here. Find the first ungraded thread in it, look at the date of the post, and that will give you an idea of your wait.

That said, it's normal to have several threads in the queue. As well as the staff, players can apply to be graders, if they meet the requirements.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

New player questions

Postby Neologism on October 14th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Hey Eurza! Glad to see you settling in just time. I thought I would come in an dadd my two cents on your questions, more importantly, the first.

So as a politician in Lhavit, there are multiple ways of doing so, depending on which route you choose to take, all, however, use a little bit of work. Lhavit is run by three factions that coexist. The first are the
Shinya, which are the protectors of the city. The second are the Constellations (A religious Cult devoted to Zintila, Lhavit's patron Goddess), of which the Seiza sect oversees all judiciary action. And finally, the Council of Radiance are the people's representatives. They are the movers-and-shakers that get the job done to make life better for their Peak. While this faction is still in revision and should be out soon, I can't guarantee any information on that until it is approved, hence my vague answers for now. When it is done, I will be posting it and letting everyone know the changes both IC and OOC, so you might just have to hold tight for that.

As for the second questions, there are so so many possibilities to make a difference. I can't direct your character for you, but you are more than welcome to take initiative where you please. As you get comfortable with the sight, you will find there are plenty of opportunities to distinguish yourself and make a change both IC and OOC.

Since you're third question was answered, I'll skip to the fourth. The answer is very simple. You can be as active as you want, and should not be bound by how quickly things get graded, so don't worry about that. However, if you would like to help out, you are welcome to apply to become a
Grader to help request threads move along. :)

And now for your fifth question. I would personally suggest that you go for the gnosis with your starting package in the HD.
Here is a good little place to read up on that process. If you can't get your Gnosis to start with, then you are always welcome to work towards it through play. But yeah, it does take quite a bit more work than earning it through your SP.

And welcome to Lhavit!
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)