Completed Down Time (Brandon Blackwing)

Shadyn and Bran meet for the first tiem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Down Time (Brandon Blackwing)

Postby Shadyn on October 13th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Shadyn accepted the critique wordlessly, then joined Brandon in enjoying the view. Brandon Blackwing…two names. Since it’s obvious he isn’t and Endal, that means he must not be an Inarta, either. That explains the lack of concern for the caste system and his more quiet manner.

The night was beautiful, Leth being only a few days from his full glory. Here they were far enough from the glow of torches in the city that every last tiny star was shining brightly. He took a deep breath, and let it out slowly.

“It’s funny…I know the name of every single star and constellation up there that has a name, and even created my own names for a few that aren’t named. I’ve spent far more than my share of hours staring up there, thinking, pondering…guess that’s what happens when you’re a misfit. Thing is, though, I’ve always thought of it as a good thing. I’ve learned to admire Leth and all the lesser host of the heavens in a way that all of my peers haven’t. While they wasted their time on harassing dek and chasing women and drinking themselves silly, I was learning. Hehe…Not that I was this empirical about things when I was a Yasi or a new Endal. But…I don’t know. The way I figure it is that if I am not accepted because of who I am, then it’s up to me to earn honor and respect by what I do. Amazing the philosophical moments you can have when you start star-gazing, really…but…I’m probably boring you, though. Forgive me for waxing loquacious.”

As the silence wore on, he began to think about things more. He wondered if Xhyvas would be proud of him for his aspirations. That was the only god he had every really paid much attention to in class, aside from the gods who ruled aspects of nature. Perhaps, with time, he truly could become better than he was, more than he was…It mattered little now, however. Life changing matters such as this were better left for when he was alone, not in another’s company, even if they were as meditative as himself.

Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 14th, 2015, 7:54 pm

x
Brandon merely blinked a couple times as the endal started speaking, though he didn’t even shift his gaze away from the sky for a moment. Constellations weren’t really the bat’s field of expertise, the only heavenly body Brandon ever used to navigate was the sun. He’d heard of a star that always pointed north though, which would come in handy when he went for a flight at night. Though something else piqued his interest. “A misfit? And yet, even a misfit can become an endal if they appeal to an eagle,” he commented, studying the pattern of stars surrounding Leth.

Shadyn continued his contemplating though, speaking of others of his caste, and of himself. The bat couldn’t deny he had a lot of appreciation for the views of the man, dare he even say … respect. “Not quite,” the Kelvic replied, breaking his stare in order to let his orbs dart to and across the endal’s face. “The chance of seeing, and speaking an endal who’s actually living up to his title is almost too rare. I can’t say I’m not intrigued.” Once more he let his eyes drift over the endal’s body and face, gauging his expression and reactions.

“I’m glad you have the mentality down, now all that’s necessary is becoming the ideal in body and skill also.” There was a small smirk, and then the thief continued. “And try to change your peers while you’re at it. Perhaps a change for the better will earn them actual respect instead of polite and obedient behavior in their face, and curses and hate behind their backs.” He grinned then, glancing sideways at his companion. “Of course, that is if you’ll allow a lowly chiet to give you some feedback,” Brandon joked, the sarcasm more than apparent.

The bat fell quiet again then, staring at the stars for a bit longer, enduring the cold until he just couldn’t take it anymore. “Right, I’m going back down, it’s getting a little too cold up here.” Brandon walked back to the edge, turning so he faced the endal once more, and then he jumped. His back arched, body following as the leap of faith was set in with a graceful backflip. He spun once, then twice, losing altitude fast. The bat’s spin ceased, and he feltthe air rush past him as he allowed his free fall to continue for a split-tick, adrenaline being released in his bloodstream. A bright, though soundless flash broke through the dark for an instant, much like a lightning strike, albeit one lacking the thunderous crack that usually accompanied it.

In that instant, the Kelvic swapped one body for another, turning from man into a bat, spreading his wings and gliding down, echolocation his guide. His flight was over soon, the distance he needed to travel minimal, thanks to his free fall. Not that it would have taken long if he’d shifted immediately either, though, that would have made him lose the surprise, and possible horror he might have made the endal feel. Brandon enjoyed showing off from time to time, and this just had seemed as a great opportunity. Softly his wings brought him down, the landing smooth and gentle, and Brandon shifted once more, getting out of his crouched position. He donned his clothes next, immediately feeling a lot better, though it probably wasn’t because of the garments, but because of the lower altitude; the Kelvic’s katinu was still lying around somewhere in his room.

There was no telling when the endal would be coming down, or when he’d reach the bottom of the wall, so Brandon was tempted to just walk away, back to the city. However, the endal was a fascinating one, and to be honest, he wouldn’t mind having the man entertain him a little while longer with his views and opinions. The problem though was that it was still cold. The thief knew of course of some activities that would warm him right up, but he didn’t want to be doing exercises for much more than a bell. That too could be easily fixed though. “HEY!!! YOU COMING DOWN SOON?!!! IF NOT I’LL HEAD BACK TO THE CITY!!!”

x

credit goes to Euthisa
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shadyn on October 22nd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Chuckling to himself, Shadyn had to admit that Brandon was right about how most Endals behaved. He was also surprised to find someone that was actually willing to converse with him.

“Meh…I’ll take your advice, no problem. I’ll take advice from a psychopath if I think what they’re saying will do me some good. Not that I’m saying you’re a psycho, you get the idea.”

When the chiet launched himself into the air, Shadyn was indeed riveted, not as much out of fear – he presumed that someone willing to do such an act likely had a plan for a safe landing – but out of wonderment at what could possibly provide him a secure recourse. The answer came with the brilliant transformation from human into bat.

A kelvic. That explains it. Like I thought, he isn’t an Inarta at all.

When the bat landed and then returned to human form, he called out, asking if Shadyn was coming down. Shadyn considered climbing down for a moment, and then realized that he would take far longer that Brandon would want to wait. He walked to the edge, looking down the vertical cliff to the protruding rock upon which his companion-competitor stood. After surveying the rock face thoroughly, he grinned broadly and shouted his response.

“Of course I am! AND I’ll do it just as fast as you did, though a good deal less dramatic, I suppose!”

With that, he took one long step out into the night air, and dropped like a stone, katinu flying up behind him like a cape. Downward he plummeted, faster and faster…then only twenty yards from the bottom, one hand shot out and grabbed a rope. In an instant it was wrapped deftly through his fingers, around his wrist, down his arm, then finally coiled around his shoulder. The friction made the leather of his sontav and katinu smoke as he slowed to a stop just a few inches above the bottom.

He let go and dropped to the ground, then bowed with feigned grace. “Thank you, thank you…please, hold your applause. While I’m certain an actual acrobat – not some crude flyboy like myself – would have done several tricks while they fell, and then caught the rope without leaving burn marks all over their clothes…I’m still rather proud of myself. I guess a decade and a half working the ropes doing mining has paid off. Anyhow…I’m done here, and I didn’t take all night, so that’s that. Now, what is your pleasure to pass the night? We could go back to my place, you know. Plenty of things to keep our minds occupied, our bellies full, and our throats moist. Or…whatever you wish. I have nothing pressing, and this in and of itself is a welcome diversion from my usual musings.”

Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 23rd, 2015, 7:04 pm

x
Right after the bat's yell, he shifted position a little bit, much to his surprise being taken over by vivid imagery flashing in front of his eyes. Like a distant memory it was there for a tick, then it was gone; it lasted not long at all, and yet, Brandon had seen more detail than he should have. It was as if someone had crammed a chime or perhaps a little more in the time frame of a tick, compressing the images, speeding them up, and yet they didn't feel rushed. It was more like time had perhaps stopped for an instant, an instant that had allowed him to look in the past of someone else. Not just any part of the past though, but one with death as its centerpiece, as the linchpin that served as the base of this … vision.

Brandon had sensed the presence of Death when he'd arrived, somewhere in the back of his mind some scribe had taken note of all those things his conscious mind had had no interest in. The subtle, old scent of death that clung to the very air was one of those things. It was faint, and yet oh so obvious. Many people had fallen down here, he had known that before he'd come here; perhaps the reason for his disinterest in the easily forgotten, faded smell of corpses and dried blood. But now that all popped back into his mind as he watched a yasi stand on the very plateau he'd just jumped off of. A giant eagle circled high above, the child calling out to it, probably telling it to observe closely. And then he jumped, like one would off a cliff and into the sea.

He laughed stupidly, showing a toothy smile, his hair and clothes trailing behind him as the wind rushed by. Suddenly, he grew serious, arms reaching out for one of the ropes, only his right hand managing to get hold of it, but it wasn't enough. The rope coiled, getting all tangled up around the boy's arm as he fell even further, twisting and eventually breaking it, along with his fingers. It wasn't the end of it however, as the rope went taut, releasing the poor yasi, though only after dislocating the shoulder of the arm caught in its coils with a mighty yank. Despite all that, the boy's fall hadn't been broken at all, and he smacked into the rocks below, splattered like spilled paint.

Immediately after that final scene, the Kelvic returned to the present, hearing the reply of the endal, as well as seeing him jump. The connection couldn't have been more clear, and the bat wondered if he could somehow prevent the man from falling to his doom, but ultimately he realized that he was powerless. Only Dira herself could interfere; her decision would either grant the endal the ability to live on, or she would guide his soul to the beyond. Fortunately for both Shadyn and the Kelvic, it seemed the Goddess of Death deemed it not his time, and the man safely touched the ground, his little adventure with the climbing ropes not ending as dramatically as that of the young yasi. Brandon sighed at the man's ignorance though, kneeling down to feel the spot he was standing in.

There was nothing there; not the blood he'd expected to find, soaking the rocks, nor some indentation where the boy had been smashed in the ground. Nothing at all. Only the scent of Death was ever so slightly stronger there. Why though? Because the yasi had died there? Then what about the rest of the area near the Edge of the World? Would there be a stronger smell as well? He stared at his left hand for a tick, then closing his fingers and forming a weak fist. Would he get a vision again too? He wasn't sure. He didn't even know why he'd seen what he had. Was there a reason why he had to see it? Was he supposed to do something with the knowledge he'd been given? Where the visions some sort of form of the power Dira had given him? Most likely. Then... how come he hadn't experienced this before? Or had he, but had he dismissed it as some sort of hallucination? Too many questions, ones he couldn't hope to find the answers to now.

Slowly he stood up, sighing deeply, eyes locking with the endal's. “Perhaps a drink is necessary indeed,” he spoke thoughtfully, his mood having changed to ponderous quickly. He started walking to the city though, mind distracted. “Say Shadyn, do you not fear death? A stunt like that is beyond reckless. Even I would not have tried that, if I had been in your situation, and human.” Perhaps this was the reason why the Inarta were referred to as extreme daredevils... he hadn't expected they actually would live up to the title. It seemed Shadyn was indeed extraordinary; an endal who acted like the ideal, as well as possessing the daredevil spirit of rumor...

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shadyn on October 23rd, 2015, 7:59 pm

He threw his head back and laughed. “Fear death? Ahh, no my new friend…there is nothing there to fear. I shall never die before my time, of that I’m certain. Besides, I am no fool…I know what my limits are, and though I might push them more than is judicious at times, I will never charge bullheadedly into deadly failure. I was born tasting death, Brandon, and I mean that quite literally. I should have died during or just after birth, and my mother did die quickly thereafter. The flavor of death is in my soul, just as keenly as is my love of life. To many people I come off as some reckless fool, but I am far more contemplative of my actions than they give me credit.”

“I don’t really understand what it means to ‘fear’, to be quite honest. In my mind, if there is something terrible in your future, you should either change it, avoid it, overcome it, or simply deal with it. Fearing it makes absolutely no sense as far as I can tell. Same thing goes for worry and anxiety. I’m no god, after all, and thus can only have so much control over my own future. If Leth decides this or that is to be my fate, then thus it shall be, no matter what I do. Sure, I might be able to change the mind of some of the gods, but otherwise death will come when death will come.”

He clapped him on the back and gave a hearty chuckle. “Anyhow, death won’t be a problem for me. I’m sure they’ll just throw me right back as some Ethaefal! Or maybe I’ll be able to hook up with some divine dame…hehe! Either way, I think dying will be rather interesting.”

Shadyn turned a corner and opened the door to his home in the Aeries. A female Dek in her late teens hurried to take his katinu and sontavs and close the door behind them. As they walked down the hall, pieces of fine art – particularly glassworks – adorned pedestals and wall hangings. They emerged into a large living area with clear glass doors leading out to expansive columned porches. Shadyn took a seat in a leather chaise, and motioned for another Dek – this one a man in his mid-thirties – to bring food and drinks.

“Take a seat anywhere you like, Brandon. Tonight you are my guest, and shall live like an Endal.”

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 24th, 2015, 1:00 pm

x
The more the endal opened his mouth to speak about himself, the more Brandon felt fascinated by the man. Perhaps not because of the words themselves, but because of the meaning behind them. And the rock-steady belief with which they were spoken. Everyone could make claims of not fearing death, but rarely did they mean it. This man at least believed he was not afraid of death, or anything else, and he did so firmly. Perhaps his opinion would be changed when actually coming extremely close to the edge between life and death... or perhaps it wouldn't. If he truly lacked fear, then he truly was remarkable. And possibly insane. But remarkable nonetheless.

Brandon did not speak on the way to wherever Shadyn was leading him, instead favoring contemplation of the man's words. Although there were no emotions hidden within the man's speech that had pointed to it -none that Brandon had detected anyway- the endal gave the impression of a lonely person. Lonely, logical, and sad. Despite that conclusion though, Brandon did agree with his views on both how to deal with ordeals in the future, and those on the time of dying. Of course, not everything was exactly like what the Kelvic believed, but that was only natural. Opinions could be only partially similar after all.

Upon arrival at the aeries, the thief sat himself down in the nearest chair, not really caring about whether it was or wasn't fluffy, ornate or simple. There were more intriguing matters to discuss, all of them related to the endal in one way or another. “You said you do not fear anything,” the bat began slowly, leaning in just a little, “And while I won't say I don't believe you, I find it rather... peculiar.” He paused, accepting a cup one of the dek offered him, though he didn't drink of it yet. “If you don't fear anything, that would mean you have nothing to lose; since, as I understand it, fear stems from possessing something you do not want to lose.” Usually, that something was one's life; even if the fear was irrational, like being scared of tiny spiders, it could be traced back to a feeling of danger, and that to a fear of dying. Why one would link a tiny, harmless arachnid to death was a mystery though... perhaps it had something to do with the fact that some of the eight-legged web-spinners were venomous?

“So, your rank, your eagle, your friends. Your life. You have no attachments to them? You would not care at all if I were to slit your throat here and now?” He frowned, thinking he should maybe add that it was just an example, though he ultimately decided against it. “You're not worried you'll suffer some sort of injury that will demote you to a drudge?” In all honesty, Brandon was skeptical, he simply did not believe in someone that did not feel fear, or worry. What he did believe was that Shadyn believed he did not feel fear. That worry was a foreign concept to him. But that did not mean he lacked those emotions; they were merely hidden, somewhere in the back of his mind. One final question maybe, one that would expose those feelings. “If someone, myself for example, held one of your friends captive, threatening to kill them.. no, to break their body and mind, and I had the means and will to do so, what would you do?” Another pause as the Kelvic's eyes darted all over the endal, taking in his expressions and body language. “And let's just say you know everything I just disclosed. You know I can break their spirit, you know I can break their body. You know I will if you do not meet my demands. What will you do? And why will you do it?”

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shadyn on October 24th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Shadyn leaned his head back and contemplated this for a moment. Then he looked Brandon dead in the face.

“I have but two friends, Brandon, -- my surrogate father and Xarrt my Wind Eagle -- but as an Endal it is my duty to protect any all Inarta, so what I am about to say would hold true with any victim…not just a friend. I would kill you. I might die in doing so, but I would not die before I succeeded, I can assure you of that. Bending to your demands…perhaps for a time, if I foresaw that I would be able to have better success at another time. Patience and submission I do not like, but I have mastered them out of necessity, if nothing else, and can use them as my eagle can use his talons.”

“You see, you say that it is peculiar not to fear death…but I wonder if you have mistaken my lack of fear with a willingness. I do not possess a death-wish, nor to I deliberately seek death as would some manic-depressive soul. I rather enjoy life, and would like to live to a ripe old age cheerfully. The thing is that I simply cannot fear. Do not think me some dogged fool. I know the meaning of the saying, ‘Let not him who puts on his armor rejoice as him who takes it off.’”

“As for the threats to myself…of course I would fight. But not out of the fear of death, but rather the fact that you would be determining my life for me…something that I shall never let happen. Again, I would death in honor rather than life with a broken spirit. As for an accident that dropped my rank…without Xarrt…I would seek to leave Wind Reach by whatever means possible rather than be a drudge, for such would mean a broken spirit. You see, I do possess a healthy caution. That is innate in all sane beings and cannot be avoided. Fear, however, is not. You say fear comes from having nothing to lose. Perhaps that is true, and indeed I have far less to lose than most Endals.”

“But in my mind death is determined by the spirit. I have seen men and women – Deks, most often – that are have death in their eyes. That is a spirit broken by sorrow. I have seen Endals – my own peers – with death in their eyes. You might wonder at this, but I say that if you look past the gleam of glory, death is there just as assuredly as in the eyes of a tortured Dek. That is a spirit broken by excess, complacency, and inner stagnation. Yet I daresay that I have seen dead people live. You doubt me? I have lived my life with people commenting on the greatness and memorable achievements of my mother. She lives in their memory, and in my heart though I never knew here. I have seen the lives saved by Endals who sacrificed their own on hunting expeditions into The Unforgiving. Those who live do not live their lives, but the life of that dead Endal. I have seen Deks forge their way upwards into the life of an Avora, and then die and leave behind astounding glassworks that I now have on my walls, works that sustain their life even though their body has long been dead.”

“Death never has and never will be a thing of the body…and thus fear is useless to all, though very few have been able to see this like I have been fortunate to do. And though true death – the death of your own spirit – is terrible indeed, even that does not necessitate fear, because not even Leth controls that…only YOU. In that one, most critical aspect, more important than life itself, you have more power and influence than all the gods and all living beings combined. That, my companion, is why I have no fear.”

During this speech he had become increasingly powerful in his delivery and animated in his voice and expression, having moved up to the very edge of his seat. Now, he sighed as the feeling slowly passed, then picked up the mug of ale that had been brought for him. He took a deep draft, then disposed rather quickly of the smoked fish that had also been brought.

“There are two things I have spent a great deal of time observing. The first is the sky, as I mentioned earlier regarding my knowledge of the movements of the heavenly bodies. The second are wolves. They are the greatest hunters of The Unforgiving, I daresay even greater than Zith. Much of my philosophy on many matters has been derived from my notes of their own way of life. A successful simplicity, it is. All things are done as much as they are due, to whom they are due, in both the positive and negative sense. All pleasures are in moderation, all evils are forbidden, and the mind rules above all. I could speak for days about all that I have learned from them…that is why Arrmal – he is my surrogate father – carved both Wind Eagles and Wolves into the blade of my main weapon. The two creatures I most admire. I must say, animals are a great deal more admirable in my eyes than most people I have encountered. But, we possess great abilities. It is only logical that many if not most have merely a great ability to do make nothing of their lives. And with that, I propose a toast – to life and to death, may their true nature be remembered.”

He raised his glass then took another long quaff, settling down into the luxurious folds of the leather chair.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 25th, 2015, 6:44 pm

x
There was a serious tone in the endal's voice as he gave his reply, but despite it, Brandon cracked a smile. Endal will be endal; whether they were the ideal or not, they still were endal. Assuming they were the most skilled around on this fire-spewing mountain. Perhaps it had something to do with the bat's looks; he was indeed more slender than buff, but strength alone did not determine ones combat ability. If Shadyn was on par with the other endal in terms of fighting skill, Brandon would easily dispose of him, however, he did not bother to inform the young eagle rider. Perhaps the man would be able to kill the Kelvic, but not before Brandon had done what Dira had asked of him. Before that time, not even a Wind Eagle would be able to take the bat's life; but that did not mean he would be going around challenging the beasts for a fight.

“Perhaps I am confusing them, but I believe they are intertwined. Fear of death is only rational, do you know what's next? No. Life is familiar, that's why people cling to it. That's why creatures cling to it. Only those who have given up on life do not fear death. Only those willing to die do not fear death. You just said you'd rather grow old than die young. Why? Because you don't want to die. Because you fear being taken by Dira before having accomplished anything, before being satisfied with your life.” Another sly grin, and a shrug. “If you do not fear, why do you care?” He leaned back just a little, bringing his mug to his lips and taking a sip. “Why did you mention a broken spirit? There must be a reason why you'd rather not have your mind broken. Because it would influence your behavior? Because you might not be yourself anymore? That is worry right there. And worry comes from fear.” He crossed his arms, and leaned further back. “You say caution, but why would there be a need for caution if there was no fear?”

In a sense this conversation was similar to the wall climbing contest from before; it was a fight. Brandon wanted to win, he wanted to win the argument, and Shadyn surely felt the same; if not he wouldn't be defending his viewpoint at all. The bat listened to the rest of the rant though, the one where the endal became extremely animated, and the Kelvic could agree with quite a few things that were said. Dead people could indeed live on in others, in legends, in artwork. Brandon himself was bent on becoming a legend, only for the sake of not being forgotten. It wasn't for his ego that he wanted to become a part of history, to be the thief who pulled of the greatest heist, but so he'd live on, even after both his body and soul had passed away. Okay, maybe for his ego too, but mostly for being remembered, and of course for the thrill of it.

As the endal filled his belly with some fish, the bat saw fit to speak up once more. “Agreed on the memories,” he nodded, “However. One saved by another still does live their own life. Perhaps they will spend time to thank the one that saved them each and every day, believing they only live because of their savior. And in a way, that is true. But what's also true is that they still live because their time to die has yet to come. Living another's life? Only if they choose to live like the one that saved them. Exactly like the one that saved them I mean. And that is impossible.” Shadyn rambled on again then, once his fish was all but devoured; and the bat sat back, drinking from his beverage. “On the true nature of life and death,” the Kelvic agreed, raising his already half empty cup, though the toast felt a little too … presumptuous. Even as an Eiyon he wasn't too sure if he understood the true nature of both Kihala and Dira's realms. He knew part of Dira's, yes, but all of it? Certainly not.

He sighed then, realizing the subject had been closed up and dismissed with the raising of glasses, not quite sure of what to do next. The whole philosophy on fear and death had been entertaining, to say the least, but he wondered if following subjects would manage the same. In order to buy some time, the Kelvic stood up and strode to one of the colored glass artworks Shadyn had referred to during his speech. He studied it for a bit, but it was rather abstract... or perhaps he was just failing to see what it was supposed to depict. Probably an eagle or another bird, if he had to guess, that would be his answer, but although there was a ninety percent chance of him being right, it wasn't a certainty. “So, this is one of the masterpieces you were talking about, right?” he queried, not too impressed. Perhaps it was due to the lack of good lighting that it couldn't be fully appreciated. “By the by, what kind of endal are you? I mean, there are those who mainly go hunting, those that stand on the lookout, and others, right? What do you do?”

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shadyn on October 27th, 2015, 8:08 pm

He stood and strided over to Brandon and pointed at the glasswork. “Indeed it is. It doesn’t look like much, especially right now. It is designed to be illuminated with the rays of dawn. When those golden rays strike at the right angle and intensity, he crafted it with an extraordinarily complex internal structure so that the whole piece literally shines from within. Also, to achieve that deep, rich crimson he used blood from wounds inflicted upon him during his last day as Dek under a cruel master. Thus he made this image of the Wind Eagle rising from nearly having fallen into the pit of Mt. Skyinarta…a play on the meaning of Skyinarta itself. To Fall and To Rise.”

“As to your other questions, I will make one last note on fear. Fear and worry are emotional states of the heart. Healthy caution, rational, and logical preferences are mental attitudes. That which is good and right for the mind is not so good for the heart. Therein lies the difference, and why I can prefer to live long, and be cautious of danger, without having fear. Perhaps this is hard for you to grasp because you are a Kelvic. Being a Kelvic has admirable advantages, but – if I am not mistaken – you still possess a strong animalistic side. Animals all have a natural and instinctual set of fears for their own self-preservation. A human…or at least one like myself…does not necessarily have those same qualities so deeply ingrained. Living another's life is merely a hyperbole not meant to be taken literally. As to a broken spirit…hehe…I do not fear what cannot be. Like I said, each of us is sovereign over our innermost being. Thus, I am in full control of what happens to my spirit.”

“Now….what type of Endal am I? A new kind, I hope. Actually, more like a kind that has been far underused for too many generations. I primarily hunt and do combat training, but my true passion lies in the unknown. I have seen so many people live their entire lives in Wind Reach and Thunder Bay, with a few voyages into The Unforgiving now and then. I want to make it to the four corners of the world…but more importantly, I want to connect my home to those corners. I am still figuring out just how I will do that, but I will do it. You mark my words, I will at least begin this mission, even if I am not the one to complete it.”

“Now, about you, what do you do, and what is your dream?”

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 29th, 2015, 7:10 pm

x
So it was an eagle after all, Brandon couldn’t really say he was taken aback by the revelation. In his mind the Inarta weren’t the most creative when it came to art and the like. Not that the bat was any better; but he at least wasn’t an artist, nor did he consider himself to be one. Admitted, the message hidden in the stained glass was profound, though the imagery used could have been a little less obvious and predictable. Oh well, this was Wind Reach after all, so it couldn’t be helped. Kind of akin to the people in Lhavit who chiseled Okomo into just about any surface they wanted to be decorated. That didn’t really get on his nerves though, despite the similarities with the Wind Eagle obsession of the redheaded folk.

Shadyn seemingly couldn’t resist to have the last word on the whole matter of fear. For the sake of not wanting to argue about it until the end of times, Brandon kept his counter statement to himself. It wasn’t too different from the others he’d used before; one of the reasons why he didn’t pursue the discussion any longer. It was an never ending circle; Shadyn claiming he knew no fear, the Kelvic pointing out certain things and questioning them, and repeat the process. What he did respond to, however, was the man’s opinion on the Kelvic race, and their traits.

“It is indeed true that we have an animalistic side, one that isn’t all that weak. It has some … annoying sides to it-” Mating season came to mind, “-however, our instincts are not a liability. Sure, the survival-instincts are strong, but not insurmountable; we are more than animals. We can choose to ignore it –or at least, I can.” He shrugged. “You on the other hand, have had your sense and instincts dulled so much you can’t sense danger before it’s too late. And even when you do, you dismiss it, and soldier on.” He shook his head, shoulders fixed in a half-shrug. “Unlike you humans, we do know when it wouldn’t be wise to ignore the alarm bells going off. That, along with our better senses makes us superior to you.” He paused for a moment, adding; “Most of us, anyway.”

As the endal explained what he wanted to be, it sounded more like a trader than anything else. One that did go far from home, as opposed to the endal that flew to the nearby cities for trading goods. A lofty goal, but perhaps not one a lone endal would be able to fulfill. “Me? I’m a teacher. I tutor yasi; not that most seem all that interested though.” Nevertheless it was one of the better jobs than the others he’d gotten to try during his bendi-like assignments. The query about his dream was somewhat harder to answer, not because of the larceny involved –that was just an effective, and extremely fun means to an end after all- but because Brandon himself wasn’t really certain whether the heist or the history part was his goal. Perhaps they both were. “I’d say my dream is to not be forgotten. To leave my mark on the world, if you will. One way or another.” A simple dream maybe, but one treacherously difficult to fulfill. Brandon had his methods though. “That and seeing more of Mizahar. I’ve heard of many things, but I haven’t been there in person to witness.”

Another shrug and he turned away from the stained glass, and fetched his mug, draining it in a swig. The somewhat bitter taste of ale definitely wasn’t one of his favorites, and it wouldn’t change soon either, however a shiver could be easily suppressed, as could a sour expression.

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext