Closed The Journey, Part 3

Shadyn makes it to the coast of Kalea

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

The Journey, Part 3

Postby Shadyn on September 22nd, 2015, 10:06 pm

22nd of Autumn, 515 AV

The last three days after they crossed Ehktar Pass had been painfully slow, and this day was no different. Shadyn was more than relieved when they finally touched down. The gouges on his chest were throbbing from being pressed against the saddle for all of those hours on end, and his right shoulder was incredibly stiff from the high altitude’s low temperatures. While the cold had served to quickly stop the bleeding, it had not helped sooth him in the least. Now, though, they were going to be camping near Kalea’s eastern coastline, where the balmy inland waters still held onto the vestiges of summer that had long been lost in the northern and central mountains.

Stepping down from the saddle, he sighed, but before he did anything, he used his hands to make some general measurements of the sun’s position. Squatting down, he scrapped up some loose dirt, placed nearby twig in it, then began drawing lines, intermittently looking back up at the sun. After about ten minutes, he had been able to approximate the time and his location. He left his markings to keep himself oriented. There were few landmarks here except for the mountains behind him. The night held so many different stars and heavenly bodies to track and compare. Daylight extinguished all but one – the sun. While all of his calculations could be made using the sun alone, it was vastly more difficult and required a great deal of thought, as well as a keen memory. Also, there were a few factors that, being outside of a city like he was, could only be generally known at best. Still, he knew that he would not be more than a half-day’s travel off in his measurements, so he was not particularly concerned.

He had chosen this landing for the relatively large creek that ran nearby in the field. Stripping down, Shadyn eased himself into it, keeping only his tomahawk and waterskin at hand. After giving himself a brisk scrub-down, he began to examine the state damage he had suffered so far in this journey. He was fortunate that he had reacted fast enough to begin to jump away from the bear by the time it swiped at him, since the three cuts were large enough as it was, and they were merely the result of a glancing blow. They cuts themselves had scabbed over, but the scabs were blackened by dirt and sweat. Judging from the slightly puffy redness around the edges of the cuts, it was also likely that they were slightly infected. Though he had considered the wilderness go-to treatment – cauterization – due to the size of the wounds Shadyn had thought it better to try to let them heal on their own, washing them daily. Medicine was commonly practiced by Inarta, but that was a task for Avoras, not Endals usually. He had learned only the most basic of treatments, since it was assumed that one would either be killed, or be able to get back to Wind Reach in time to be treated, and thus not truly need any real medical assistance in the field.

The Zith’s marks looked horrid. Adrenaline…and later testosterone and endorphins…had kept the pain at bay, as had the cold wind during travel. Now though…it hurt just to move it. From what he could see, the laceration was rather deep. No tendons had been severed, thankfully, as was indicated by the fact that he could still use it. Hopefully the fact that each individual laceration was relatively slender would make it heal quickly, but being wounded so deep worried him. Endals who had been unfortunate enough to lose their mounts in battle had sometimes lost limbs to gangrene…and some, even though they survived battle, wilderness, and the return to Mt. Skyinarta, died of the subsequent blood poisoning. That was not something that he was looking forward to.

Last edited by Shadyn on September 23rd, 2015, 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Journey, Part 3

Postby Shadyn on September 22nd, 2015, 10:06 pm

He withdrew the pocket-full of Lunatite, grasping them in his hand like prayer beads, and knelt. “Leth, I thank you for what you have done for my life. Tonight it occurred to me that at my birth, I should have died. Yet at my birth under the full moon – your domain and sign – I survived. You have guided me, blessed me, and aided me. I now ask that you keep me from the vales of death and disease, by whatever means you see fit. Show to me those whose aide I need, or provide me with the knowledge and means to do so myself. Until then, I shall rely upon your power alone for my wellbeing. Let all be as I have spoken.”

Rising to his feet, he laid down in the sunlight and fell into a deep and refreshing slumber. It was closing in on evening when he awoke. Dried by the warmth of the sun’s rays, he dressed himself, though keeping his chest bare. His shirt’s shoulder was badly torn and bloodied. The other night he had kept the rabbit’s pelts. He withdrew them now, and used his bear-claw dagger-tools to remove the fur and then furiously scrape the underside of the skin. Though tanning was not something he knew how to do, an elderly Avora had once taught him a quick trick that worked well on small creatures. If the fur was entirely removed, and then the all of the lower layers of skin removed, you would be left with only the very top layer of skin. While this was quite thin, and not suitable for use as a normal hide, it was already dry and would not shrink or rot, making an excellent substitute for linen. On larger animals the hide was too tough to allow for the removal of the lower layers of skin, thus preventing this method from working on leather.

Within an hour, Shadyn had two supple skins, about the same thickness as the linen of his shirt, and a bit more durable. He also found that his dagger creations had absolutely perfect for a job he had never even considered doing, having done exactly what he needed in a surprisingly efficient manner. Stitching, however, would be another matter entirely. For that, he had two options. One, he could use the torn part of the shirt and unravel it to yield thread, or he could use animal tendons. Since he needed food anyway, tendons it was.

Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Journey, Part 3

Postby Shadyn on September 22nd, 2015, 10:07 pm

This was going to be a terrible hunting trip. His shoulder was giving him enough trouble that he could not pull his bow, could not spin his tomahawk fast enough for any use, and could not even swing a Talon sword. Adrenline might help in battle, but while sitting in the middle of peacefully swaying grasses desperately trying to find something to hunt in the first place, the thrill of the racing pulse of blood was not even a possibility. He had, however, used his left hand to throw his tomahawk before, and could do so with a good amount of accuracy, so that would be his only option for this evening.

Something moved in a small stand of pines near a spring. Slowly, stealthily, he worked his way closer, not wanted to startle whatever it was. The movement was about six feet off the ground…exactly the high a Kalean deer’s head would be if it was trying to gnaw the pines’ sappy bark. Making not a sound, he began spinning the tomahawk from his left hand, working closer…closer…it scraped at the bark. Just as he had suspected! Nothing fled the copse, showing that his silence was perfect. He readied himself, stepped out of the grasses, and saw…nothing. The tomahawk looped around his hand several times before dropping down beside his leg, swinging slowly back and forth like a pendulum. Something had been here. He was certain of that. But…

One of the burls on a pine across from him moved. Shadyn’s face dropped. It was a porcupine. Still, it was a large one…probably upwards of fifty pounds. Well, more like forty once he removed the quills and skin. Still, there was one thing that made it seem like the perfect meal – it was the only edible creature he had seen. That was a big bonus in its favor…or, actually, not really in its favor, but rather in favor of it being his dinner. The slow moving animal froze when he drew near. Not being a fool, he knew not to get within range of its tail, so he calmly sheathed his tomahawk, drew a Talon sword clumsily with his left hand, stepped to one side, and lopped off its head.

Using his dagger-ish blades to skin it made things go rather quickly back at camp, as did the close proximity of a small dead tree that had been undermined by the creek. The porcupine tasted just like the pine trees upon which it dined, which, Shadyn mused, was not entirely bad when combined with the smoke from half-sodden wood. At each camp site he had gathered whatever berries he could find while out looking for wood and game, and this time was not different. He let Xarrt eat most of the animal, while he filled himself on some mountain blueberries from several nights back, and so many mulberries from a tree he passed near the creek here that he thought he might just be sick. Still, food was food.

As the fire died down, he used a bone shard from the porcupine to thread the tendons and ligaments he had tied together to stitch on his new shoulder patches. He opted to do both sides, the symmetry not only being far more appealing, but also serving to make it look like his shirt was supposed to look this way, and not that it was patched. Making the stitches loose, he shrank the “thread” over the last of the coals, and upon his final examination, was both surprised and satisfied with his handiwork. It was certainly something a woodsman would appreciate more than a nobleman, but it was nonetheless not entirely displeasing to look at. As he prepared to mount Xarrt, his stomach settled down, and soon the pain in his shoulder subsided from the effects of a large – if imbalanced – meal. No, he did not regret his adventures, now that he felt better…mostly.

Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Journey, Part 3

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 24th, 2015, 1:03 pm

SHADYN

XP:

• Land Navigation +1
  • Observation +2
  • Medicine +1
  • Leatherworking +1
  • Sewing +1
  • Weapon: Talon Sword +1
  • Hunting +1
  • Stealth +1

Lore:
  • Medicine: Sizing up the damage to your body
  • Making shoulder patches from rabbit skin

Notes:

Please remove or edit your post in the request thread.
Also please track your newly awarded xp and lores in your CS so both staff and graders alike can keep on grading your threads :)
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)