Placeholder First Impressions of A Potion Maker

Kiva is given her first assignment at Tokia's Tonics

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Citadel of the Dead Queen, Black Rock is the island off of the eastern coast of Falyndar. Mythic and mysterious, few know what truly inhabits it. [Lore]

First Impressions of A Potion Maker

Postby Kiva on May 28th, 2015, 9:20 pm

3rd of Spring, 515 A.V
    Job Thread - Tokia's Tonics

It was to be a simple shopping trip. In and out. All she needed was a few jars, clay or glass. A few containers. Everyone needed a few jars now and again, right? The tall Myrian pattered barefoot across the streets of Black Rock, weaving through the fog and reluctant residents. A fresh rain had just stopped falling and everyone was slow to repopulate the streets. Not that Kiva would ever call them "alive", simply... busier.

There was rumors of an apothecary nearby. A place Kiva had likely passed, but never quite needed the services of. Up until today, her jars had held stead-fast. But clay only lasts so long, and dropping them doesn't help. So far, no business were popping out to her. She continued looking, the humidity of the island already crafting a heavy layer of moisture that clung to her shirt and hair. She was fairly used to it by now and stepped into a puddle, enjoying the cool sensation. Kiva's mind briefly flickered to Makutsi, but stopped when nearly walking into man who was leading his farg down the road.

"Excuse me, miss," he said, readjusting his hold on the rope leading the cattle. Kiva took a back step, eyeing the animal with reluctance. He noticed her discomfort and offered a touch, "Feel free to pet her. She's as tame as they come. Just got bad bones, is all. Gotta walk her around every once in awhile to warm her legs up, otherwise she won't milk. Go on. Feffa won't bite."

Taken back by the stranger's talkative nature, Kiva tried to feign a smile, lifting a hand slowly. His words had been spoken in a speedy common, a few even lost to her. His meaning was clear enough though -- She was safe. The animal turned, making eye contact with her and blew a puff of air from deep within it's lungs. It sounded like a scoff to the Myrian, who had finally let her hand drop to move rhythmically back and forth across the beast's taunt hide. The man beamed in approval. "Yah! There ya go. Don't be shy. Fargs are study animals. You can really give 'em a scratch." To illustrate, the man reached over and began to roughly rub on the farg's skull, its head lifting in response. Having no experience with the beasts, Kiva gave a genuine smile this time, amused that the animal looked to actually be enjoying the attention.

"Feffa? Strange name." Kiva began to follow the lead of the man, intensifying her pressure. A few ticks passed. It was decided. Fargs were not bad. 'A noble animal... She thought, 'Good meat for a tiger.'

"Miss?"

Kiva looked up at the stranger, taking in more detail. He was older than her, possibly just starting his thirties. His skin was lighter than hers as well, more olive than tan. He didn't have any remarkable features, but his arms and legs looked strong from work. His hair was shaggy, hanging over eyes that she wasn't close enough to to note the color of. He was absentmindedly running a palm repeatedly over his pant leg. Kiva had no idea why.

"I was just wondering..." A brief downcast of the eyes, followed by a fast question, "Are you a Myrian lady?"

A Myrian lady? The question caught her off guard. Was she a Myrian? Absolutely. Female? Yes. Lady? That was a bit more of a loaded question. Kiva decided to answer cautiously, "I am Myrian, yes." She refrained her hand from resting on the hilt of her kris, instead keeping a steady watch on the man. He didn't look threatening. He looked... nervous.

"Does this frighten you?" Kiva inquired coldly, retrieving her hand from the farg's shoulder. In response, the man's eyes widened.

"No! No. Definitely not. I was only curious. I've heard stories, is all. Just stories."

"What kind of stories?" Kiva pressed, crossing her arms.

"Oh, uh... well. That Myrians are a bit... passionate. About things. Hunting." 'Killing' Kiva corrected, not lightening up. She waited for him to continue. A pained expression came over his face, and his cheeks started to redden, "I heard that the women were beautiful, but if you ask 'em out, they'll kill ya. Sorry miss. It's just something I heard, is all."

The last sentence surprised her, but she only let it show for a tick, "You are probably not wrong. Who told you these things?"

"Tokia. She owns a shop 'round the corner. Another pretty Myrian lady. I wasn't sure if she was fibbing or not." He forced a laugh. He was nice enough. Not tactful, but his blunt approach was refreshing. Kiva caught the name, and decided to change course.

She smiled to try and help soothe the man. Cheer him up and away from the nerves, "Tokia...? Is this owner of Tokia's Tonics? Will you take me?"

A small shrug, another smile, "Ya. Follow me, miss. I gotta go there anyway. C'mon, Feffa." Kiva waited patiently for him to lead the farg and she kept pace beside them. A long silence dragged on between the two but Kiva ignored it. It was only a few chimes before they reached their destination - a shabby little building that had the door propped open with a large rock.
    -Kiva
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kiva on July 4th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Kiva approached the apothecary and poked her head in. The strong smell of spices washed over her, followed by an undertone of mint. A woman's voice was mumbling, and in an effort to be polite, Kiva rapped her knuckles sharply on the wood before stepping inside.

"A customer?" A woman who Kiva assumed to be Tokia emerged, and sized her up. She then looked past her, spotting the man who had been leading the farg. "Ah, Bentley. You have what I asked for?" The Myrian woman smiled, and Kiva noticed that despite the dark features and tall build, the woman didn't particularly look like she was from Taloba. Even her accent was faded, not giving her away very much.

Kiva moved out of the way for Bentley to pull out a jar of white milk, holding it out to the shopkeeper. "Here you are."

Tokia grabbed the container and set it on the table, making Kiva's eyes widen. This woman's back was covered in tattoos, every inch a holder of colorful and intricate designs. Tokia spoke up, looking back at Kiva, "What do you need?"

Kiva cleared her throat, "You are the Myrian, Tokia?"

"I am." The response was suspicious. As if she was about to be challenged and she crossed her arms.

Kiva continued, "I need to buy jars."

"For?"

The question caught her off guard. What did this woman mean, 'for'? Was it any of her business? "I collect things," Kiva evaded, not sure how much information to share with this woman, "Do you have some for sale?"

The two women stared each other down, with the poor farg owner starting to clear his throat and excuse himself. Apparently, he was beginning to understand what he had been told. After a prolonged silence, Tokia spoke up, snatching some jars from under a table and placing them in front of her, "Clay or glass?"

"Either. I'll be gathering plants and things," Things being the operative word. It was more like small bones.

"Hmm... I will give them to you for free, if you want a job."

What a peculiar offer? Had the air not just been tense a moment ago? Kiva's eyes narrowed, "Speak."

Tokia finally broke out in a grin, "You're strong, you look relatively capable, and you're Myrian, which leads me to believe you deserve some respect. I need some crabs for one of my salves. If you can get me some, I will let you take these jars. If you do a good job, maybe we can work something out for the future."

Kiva shook her head after the offer was given. She looked around, observing her surroundings. Papers and plants were scattered everywhere. Piles of books and notes. The building was full of information. Things Kiva was unaware of. Things she could use. "I will buy the jars, and I will get you the items you need. But I wish to learn from you in the future."

'I could use this as an opportunity.' Kiva was planning ahead. She had not seen many more Myrians on the island, and this one was obviously skilled in her craft. If Kiva could get on her good graces, working here and learning would be a far better cry than any paper mill filled with Dhani.

"You want to learn?" Tokia questioned, placing a hand on her wide hip, "I admire that. We have a deal." And then it was back to business, "I will give you two jars, 4 ashl."

Kiva made a face, "4 ashl? That is too much."

This did not please the woman, "If you don't like my prices, you can go. This is glass."

She was not skilled in bargaining, and held her tongue, "I'll take one jar, then."

"Suit yourself." Tokia returned the other to its place and held the jar, while waiting for payment. Kiva dug around in her coin purse and gave over 2 bikka, frustrated she had lost so much. "You know," Tokia began, "If I teach you, and you work for me, there will be payment in the future. It is okay to spend."

Kiva said nothing but took her new equipment and gingerly added it to her bag. "Where would crabs be? The market? Ocean?"

"I'd imagine you can find some Svefra who are selling. I have something cooking, I can't leave. Good luck."

Kiva scoffed at the wishes of luck, heading towards the door, "I won't need it."

-Kiva
Last edited by Kiva on August 5th, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kiva on July 16th, 2015, 8:32 pm

All Kiva had to do was snag a crab off of a Svefra. She could try to go fishing, but her lack of skills would make that nearly impossible so she decided to work smarter, not harder. Picking up her pace to a light jog, Kiva ran to the only place she knew she could find a few wandering for sure: The docks. Keeping her pace light, but still quick enough to get there in good time, Kiva ran for a little over ten chimes, gripping her side and huffing. Her face was flushed from the exercise and she started power walking in hopes to relieve the stitch that had formed in her side. She took quick breaths, her arms swinging at her sides. The docs were a ways away, and she kept moving. It took a good amount of time before she actually reached her destination, as the Northern Docks were on the other side of the island.

"This jar wasn't worth it." she breathed heavily, alternating between running and walking. Her endurance was low, so more than once she had to stop, leaning over to get some air. When the docks came into view, Kiva wandered over to some blonde hair individuals that were fishing from the docks, watching from a distance. One of them had a pole in his hand, another threw off a small net that spread out like a web and fell gracefully on the water. It was only there for a second before Kiva saw him pull it back up, filled with small shimmering fish. Her eyes widened. Were these men such skilled fishermen?

Kiva tentatively called out to the men in Fratava, saying one of the handful of words she knew, "Hello."

The group turned to look at her and chuckled, speaking in Common. They must have sensed her discomfort, or perhaps her Fratava was just that bad, "Hello, lass. Can we help you?'

Kiva nodded, moving to the beginning of the dock, "Do you know here I would be able to find some crabs?"

They grinned, "You're in luck," one spoke up, his bare chest covered in a picture of the sea, "We're about to pull some up now. Wanna help?"

"I don't know how."

"Ah, no worries," he waved her over, holding up a piece of chicken leg that Kiva had failed to noticeand swinging it in the air, "We'll show you how. Everyone should know the spoils of Laviku. Come on over. You gotta name, lass?"

"Kiva" she didn't add her suffix. She felt these men were less formal anyhow, nor would they know anything of her culture other than the occasional story. To explain her Myrian heritage would be a hassle and Kiva didn't want to risk them not helping her. She walked to them, the hot sun beating down. It looked like one of them would be developing a sunburn if he wasn't careful.

"Try to keep up, lass," he grinned, pointing to one of the pylons, "We take some of this rope, and tie some chicken to it nice and tight."

Kiva bent over to watch what he was doing. The rope was thin and his long fingers worked skillfully to wrap it around the bone again and again until it was snug. "You use chicken as bait?"

"Ah, ye such a land lubber, aren't ye? Of course. Crabs love it. They're greedy little petchers. Then, when we tie it, ye just gotta make sure the other end is tied to the end of this here support and ye throw it in. Here."

Kiva was surprised at how friendly and welcoming these Svefra were, and she took the raw chicken when it was offered to her. She looked at the string and saw how secure it was, and tossed it in the water. A small splash and then it sank and disappeared.

What a strange way to catch them. "Will this take long?" she asked

Another Svefra who held the fishing pole laughed. His hair was dark and he was leaning back relaxed, "Nah. Tide's out, see? They'll be biting."

★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kiva on August 5th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Kiva looked at the water, and noticed that it was indeed shallower than she would have expected. Towards the shore, wet sand was uncovered more so than usual. A few ticks passed, the Svefra stretching lazily on the dock. Kiva stood awkwardly, feeling the nice ocean breeze. They chatted lightly in Fratava, and one finally stood and grabbed a long pole with a circular net attached at the end.

"Kiva, here. I'm going to pull the string up, you scoop."

She took the net in her hand awkwardly holding it with both hands and going to stand next to one of the Svefra as he got on his knees and bent down to pull the string out of the water. He pulled it very slowly, taking it in his hand bit by bit. Finally, the meat became visible, and he nodded at her to begin lowering the net in.

She did, and then... when he told her so, she scooped it up in the net, and the Svefra cheered, "Good job lass!" When she brought it out of the water, two crabs squirmed in the net and the Svefra started pulling the chicken free from their claws. "And that's how you catch some crabs."

Another one chimed in, "You can use a crab pot if you want a bunch, but that takes awhile. This is a quick way to catch a meal."

Kiva nodded, swinging the net in her hands over the dock, "What do I do with these?"

"Ah, well... ye want these? We're gonna be out here for awhile. Here," he walked over, bringing a bucket, "We gotta get them out of the net. Try to flip 'em in." Kiva did as she was instructed, even smacking it against the bucket a few times, but the crabs wouldn't let go.

"Yes. But I think they're stuck."

"Ah, being stubborn, eh? Here." The Svefra reached out and Kiva gave him the pole, watching as he carefully used his fingers to try an pry them free. He sighed when they didn't, "Gonna have to pull of their claws."

With efficiency, he tugged off the claws of one and Kiva watched interested as it stayed alive, but now helpless and unable to pinch fingers. He did the same with the other, which allowed the two to be removed and untangled from the net safely. He frowned, holding up one of the claws, "See this black one, had the red claws? You can't eat this, Kiva. It'll make you sick. Poisonous."

Kiva picked up the dark olive crab as it squirmed and ran a finger over it's smooth shell. The coloration was dark and grey and indeed the tips had been red. "Does this have a name?"

"Shawl crab. I should have returned it to Laviku."

"No, I'll take it." Kiva ignored their confused stares and looked the crustacean in the eyes. "Thank you for this."
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kiva on August 5th, 2015, 5:37 pm

The Svefra with the gnosis on his chest looked over, "Do you have a bag to put 'em in? Here." He looked around and grabbed an old burlap sack, offering it to her, "You can put 'em in here." Kiva did so.

"Do you need any more help?" she asked.

"Only if you want to. Do you want to try and pull the string? You just gotta go slow."

"Sure."

Kiva tied off her bag and set them on the dock. She waited a moment to make sure the bag wouldn't crawl away and she bent by the pylon to lift the string. She went slowly like he said and smiled, "I think there's something on it. It's twitching."

Getting a net ready, her partner lowered the net in the water and when it was visible he caught another couple of crabs. "Ooh, these will be good eating. Nice work."

Kiva was having fun, "Here." She tossed the chicken back in and grabbed the bucket. He dumped the crabs in, not having to take the arms off of these ones. He went to sit with the others and Kiva retrieved her bag.

"I have to go back to work." It felt weird considering Tokia her new employer. The Svefra all nodded, of them calling it silly. Work... How dull. In truth, learning all this had greatly interested her. She wanted to stay to see if she could figure out how to cast the small net she had seen earlier, but it would take awhile to get back and she didn't want the crabs to die before she could return.

"Ah, this was fun. Come back, and we'll show you how to catch muscles. You ever eat them?"

Kiva made a cautious face, but the Svefra didn't seem to care. 'Muscles? Like on the body?' So they knew she was a Myrian after all. "Yes," she said, thinking of the cannibalistic diet of her people. Only, she was mistaken, confusing the shellfish for something else. She waved and started heading to the land, picking up her pace and starting her run back.

She held the crabs close to her chest, the bag damp and occasionally she could feel their legs moving in response. Her long legs extended and bent, and just like before, she had to take breaks during her run.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Kiva on August 5th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Pause. Run. Pause. Run.

By the time she had reached Tokia's Tonics, Kiva was covered in sweat and her legs burned. She was limping lightly, feeling a slight tug in her thigh muscle, like a tightness that hurt when she walked. A pulled muscle. She groaned, trying to jog the rest of the way and knocked on the door, moving inside.

"I have returned," she announced, looking for Tokia. She began to untie the bag, holding it out when the other woman poked her head from the back.

"You got some! Let me see."

Kiva leaned against a table, looking at a shelf with a collection of bottles while Tokia examined her catch. "These are fresh. Did you catch them? Oh and a shawl crab. I can use it's meat for a poison. Are you interested?"

She looked up. "Of course."

Tokia grinned, "Perfect. Do you like to read? I have a pretty rare book around here somewhere. You'll have to be careful with it, but..." Tokia continued to talk, grabbing a book from underneath a pot of herbs and tossed it to her to catch. Kiva grabbed it in the air and ran a hand over the rough cover.

"Poisons & Pultices"

Kiva flipped to a random page, feeling the crispness of the paper. It must have been a fairly new publication, and she began to read, "Poison families: Aquatic... Araneida... Arboreal..."

The younger Myrian raised an eyebrow in interest and looked up to meet Tokia's eyes.

"As of today, you are employed at Tokia's Tonics. Congratulations."
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Dravite on October 28th, 2015, 10:44 pm

Kiva

XP Award:

• Observation: 4
  • Animal Husbandry: 1
  • Socialisation: 4
  • Rhetoric: 2
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Running: 2
  • Endurance: 2
  • Fishing: 2
  • Bodybuilding: 1
  • Wilderness Survival, Jungle: 1

Lore:

• Farg: Cattle
  • Farg: Sturdy and noble
  • Myrian: Rumoured savages
  • Negotiation: Overpaying
  • Fishing: Bait
  • Svefra: A friendly race of fishermen
  • Wilderness Survival: Knot tying
  • Muscles: Seafood

Notes: Fun little job thread! Love the set up for her earning a job at Tokia's Tonics. Enjoy the rewards.

Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)