PM to join A Day in Town [Joanna]

Joanna and Beodan go shopping!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Beodan Clathony on November 8th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Beodan nuzzled into the warmth that reminded him that the world was not just a cold, dark wasteland devoid of all things positive. Without all of those subtle emotions coming across their link, the little blips of pain that let him know she was still alive, he felt numb. Like a side of his body had been deadened. The was well and truly gone now. No longer could he feel a weak, but steady pull in her direction. There was nothing. No one to share feelings with, no one that understood him perfectly. Why did she have to go? Why did she stay gone? It was so unfair to have her ripped away from him right when things were settling nicely! He cried for his loss until he had no more tears to shed. Thankfully that only took a few more chimes, even though it felt like days.

Slowly, Dan cracked his wet and heavy eyes open. There was only skin in front of him, and that was a little wet too. His arms were locked in a tight, self-hugging position, as if trying to keep his insides from spilling out. He uncurled the stiff muscles and wrapped them around the warm body. He was barely aware of the arms that encircled him, and oblivious to his position. Agonisingly, his mind sorted through all of the debris left behind, tied off all the loose strings so they weren’t flopping around searching for something to attach to. A couple chimes more and he regained lucidity. He gasped and pulled Joanna tighter against him. Even in this state, he managed a blush at the fact that he had been sitting on her lap for quite some time now, and had not really noticed. A hand was running through his hair, and soft lips pressed against his forehead. He tilted his head up to meet those lips once with his own, in thanks for keeping him anchored to the world.

With a pained laugh, the Kelvic said, “That was a LOT worse than I expected and feared.” He brought a fisted hand over his heart, “How long until the pain goes away?” he mused, “s’not pain really, just emptiness. Still hurts, just the same as a sword or something.” He buried his face in her soft, warm neck. It reminded him of those days when Moxie and he would just not get up to face the world, and stay in bed together just basking in the glow of each other’s company. He gently shook his head; he needed to stay away from that kind of thinking. He inwardly snorted, as if he didn’t brood enough as it is! He found a little bit of comfort in the dark humor, though telling jokes to himself was not a real solution. Far more comfort was given by the goddess that he sat upon.

Dan sighed into her, and breathed into her ear, “I love you.” He took his head back to look into her eyes after just one more blissful moment. Looking at her pleadingly, he nearly begged, “Please, can we do something? Anything. I dont’t care what. Climb a tree and jump to catch the moon, cook something. Just anything?”
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Words: 228292
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 10th, 2015, 3:17 am

Joanna continued to run her fingers through Dan's hair as she felt his breath begin to calm, and his shivers starting to fade. The pain had been intense, no doubt, but it felt like he was slowly returning to her. Still, she could sense lingering pain inside the Kelvic, like the last few stains that couldn't be scrubbed away. It would take time and effort to completely remove them, and even then their marks might be permanent. Joanna should know. Grief, loneliness, sorrow, emptiness, doubt. Things she, too, had endured not many years ago. They were powerful foes who offered little reprieve from a relentless assault of self-doubt and pain. Its only weakness was compassion, hope and most importantly: determination. But such things were incredibly hard to find. She hoped beyond hope that she could offer these things to Dan in his darkest time of need and any time after.

“That was a LOT worse than I expected and feared. How long until the pain goes away?”

It was a question that did not expect an answer, but the warrior felt inclined to give one. "Eventually. For some, it takes only a few days. Those are the lucky ones. They find ways to dampen the impact. But for others, it might take seasons, even years, to eventually settle their spirit and find some meek semblance of peace. Some... never recover..." A memory surfaced of her younger sister. Though she was not of the same blood as her, Joanna treated Ayera like a true sibling through and through, with all the fighting and bickering that came with it. Being the older sister, it meant Joanna got to be second-in-command to Voriel. It was a bittersweet memory, thinking of them as children again. One that she hoped not to have repeated. Ayera's madness was a painful reminder of just how far someone can fall from a life devoted to sorrow.

A long silence stretched between them before she found the courage to speak again. "You are strong, Dan. I know you are. Your heart beats loud, and your spirit burns bright. You will endure any trial this world can throw at you." Her lips found his again for a brief second before she whispered into his lips. "Stay determined." She gave a soft giggle before hugging him tightly again. She may not understand bonding, or the emotions that stemmed from it, but she would do her best to be understanding.

"I love you"

"I love you too, my dear"

It felt good to say it. No matter how many times it passed her lips, the words were just as sweet as the first. It felt good to speak the truth.

Dan turned to her with pleading eyes. “Please, can we do something? Anything. I dont’t care what. Climb a tree and jump to catch the moon, cook something. Just anything?”

"Well, how about we work on dinner? I don't know about you, but I'm starving. I could tell you a few stories, too, if you'd like. I have a few about my brother, and quite a few from the other provinces." She slowly released her grip on the Kelvic to let him escape her bear hug.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Words: 76579
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2015, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Beodan Clathony on November 12th, 2015, 2:29 am

“I don't know about you, but I'm starving. I could tell you a few stories, too, if you'd like. I have a few about my brother, and quite a few from the other provinces,” Joanna said caringly, relaxing her grip now that Beodan was solid enough for him to move without his insides spilling out, he did not need someone to hold him together. As it was, the sense of loss deepened as her comforting arms fell away. He had to consciously tell his arms not to reach out for her. You are strong. She was right, he would find the strength somewhere to get through this. He nodded weakly at her offer of stories. It would be good to experience someone else’s life instead of dwelling on his own.

Dan mustered the best smile he could, which turned out more of a half grimace, and sighed, “I’ll make some tea.” He needed something routine to still his tremoring hands. He filled the kettle and placed it onto the cooking lamp. He caught himself staring at the warm metal, his mind far away from the tent. It was all he could see now. Her smile, the little scales under her arms and neck, her musical laughter as he attempted to learn her language… The list went on. As he looked at the kettle of bubbling water, he remembered all the lazy evenings spent cuddling with cups of tea, only speaking with their eyes and emotion. What was he going to do, now that his other half was truly gone. He wondered if, and, more likely, when the pain of loss would be replaced with the pain of not having a bondmate in general. He would be driven right back to someone’s arms, and they would probably leave him too.

He choked down a sob and gritted his teeth in frustration. Almost desperately he relied on intuition to find herbs that would make a good tea. He would find out what he put in later, it wasn’t like he kept poison just laying around. Though, it was the dose that makes the poison. He poured water over the dry herbs in both cups, and deeply inhaled through his nose to get a good whiff of the concoction. Hmm… Chamomile and.. Passion flower, with a little bit of Valerian? Valerian in this amount would not really do anything, except add its fragrance. Not bad for not having his mind focused on task! It also served to distract him just enough to improve his mood a bit. The weight was still there, but it was easier to ignore. Just immersing himself in his passions healed his mind ever so marginally.

Dan brought the two cups of tea back out to his love. He sat down next to her by the fire with more convincing smile. It was time to make dinner. He unwrapped the package of sausages and tossed them onto the hot cooking pan. The sizzled something fierce for the first few ticks, where the sound decrescendoed to a pleasant hissing. The needed to be cooked thoroughly if they did not want to risk catching all sorts of horrible parasites. He prodded them with a fork to turn them over, relishing the heat of the flames as they attempted to bite him instead of the sweet caresses they had been giving when he sat further away.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 16th, 2015, 2:10 pm

ooc"Sorry about the delays. To be completely honest... I've been playing alot of Fallout 4 >.> . But I've gotten the initial hype out of the way, so I'll be alot more active. Again, sorry D:

Joanna sipped happily at her tea, enjoying the warmth that enveloped her. She still felt a pang of sadness in her heart knowing that Dan was still suffering through his loss, but it would have to be a battle he fought within himself. She would provide support as best she could. But for now, she wanted to make sure he was healthy and happy. Or at least, the closest thing to happy. She thought back on her brother again, wondering what kind of sage advice he'd have. Something about giving people their space. Letting them handle their own problems. Probably wasn't going to happen. Joanna valued Beodan too much to let him suffer without offering to help.

"Thank you for the tea, Dan. It's fantastic as always. You really must show me how you do it." She beamed a bright smile at him before a sudden realization hit her. "Oh! I promised you a story." She thought for a moment, deciding which one felt most appropriate given the situation. "This one isn't too exciting, but it gives me a lot of nostalgia. Kind of silly, I guess, but it's one of those moments where I really appreciated the world. If... that makes sense. Anyways, I was about 2 season old and living in sunberth. My brother had snuck us out of the house to go see something cool...

"Not much further, Jo. Hold on tight" His voice was soothing, comforting. Contrasted against the dark and creepy atmosphere of the cave, Voriel was a beacon of light Joanna could latch on to. The bounce in his step and the haste of his movements made it difficult to keep up, but it didn't stop her from giggling whilst stumbling and tripping as she held onto his hand. They were wild and free, not caring about the cuts and bruises they had gotten. For them, danger was a foreign concept.

The two were younger, then. Much younger. Joanna was well into combat classes, but had not shed the excess weight of her toddler seasons. Her cheeks were plump and red, her limbs meaty and short. She looked like her older iteration, only squished into a more compact shape. Her bright, blonde hair reached down to her back, and her eyes were still as glimmering and glistening as they had always been.

Voriel was much more lean, with sharp eyes and slick, black hair tied behind him in a pony tail. Even though he was a year older then her, already entering into his teens, youth had not managed to escape him. His eyes were warm hues of brown and green that yearned for excitement and flickered with wonder. He had a wild spirit tamed only by the woods he spent so much of his time in. The Kelvic was a lover of all things living, from ancient oaks to tiny fleas, all things received his affection. Joanna once thought he had been made by the forest and then given to her parents, with how much affection he shared with it. This was, of course, before Joanna knew how babies were made, but she still stuck to the theory even after that.

The two raced through the dimly lit caverns with reckless abandon. They leapt over streams, weaved between stalagmites and vaulted over odd rock formations jutting from the walls. Laughs, chuckles, giggles, and guffaws echoed throughout the caverns like a chorus of sprites. It felt so innocent. Joanna could remember it all like it had been yesterday, and it always brought a smile to her face to remember the times she had spent with her brother. They felt so free, back then. The world seemed less dangerous, and more fun.

Finally, the two children made it to the end of the cave, with one last twisting tunnel ahead of them. Their laughter started to die down as the air grew heavier. "Here it is, Jo. Hold on tight, okay? And don't tell anybody about this!"

"But... what about mom and dad? Can I tell them?"

"No! Nobody!"

"Can I tell Ayera?"

"Especially not Ayera"

"What about when I get married and have a husband?"

Voriel though hard on this, crossing his arms. "Okay. But only if he doesn't tell anybody else!"

The two nodded in agreement, Joanna beaming a toothy smile (with a few of them missing) before Voriel lead them into the deepest point of the cave. It was tight, cramped, and damp. They weren't laughing anymore, instead approaching this new room with anticipation and a sense of discovery. Voriel still kept a smile on his face, letting Joanna feel safe in the knowledge that at least he knew what he was doing. The last thing she wanted was for them to get mauled by a bear.

A faint light shone around the next corner, at the narrow end of the tunnel. It was... a blue-ish, red-ish yellow. And orangy shade of pink mixed with a foresty mix of green and purple. It was... hard to describe. The lights seemed to cover each end of the spectrum, never settling at a single point. Joanna felt her brain struggle to comprehend it, and ultimately decided against it. But just as she was did so, the two entered the last chamber and came upon a sight of beauty.

Gems, crystals, emeralds, ores, all of them stood before them like grand displays of natural art. Blue veins of gems entangled themselves into the roots of silver ores to create an entirely new shade of light while diamonds grew around dark, green emeralds to form indescribable colors. It was... beautiful. The faint lights coming from holes in the ceiling were all that was needed to turn the grey walls of the cave into canvases upon which brilliant light was cast. Joanna turned to look at Voriel, his face covered in glistening greens and reds. There was a sparkle to his eyes, a fervor. It was in this moment that Joanna felt something inside her break free. A spark spat out of her spirit and ignited a passion in her heart. The beauty of this place, the message it sent, it shook her to her core. Something about this place, or this situation, gave her new strength, new hope.

She felt herself fill with determination.

"I revisited the site a year ago. It really wasn't as spectacular as I remembered it, but... I think it was just because I was young, and adventerous. Seeing the fragments of the world together like that, like they were... connected, really cemented itself in my mind. I guess it made me realize how much the world is bound to itself. The lives of two people, on different ends of Mizahar, could affect each other in huge ways." Joanna sighed. "Ah... I know I'm talking nonsense. But I hope you enjoyed the story, regardless"

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Beodan Clathony on November 19th, 2015, 12:47 am

Beodan listened raptly to Joanna’s tale. He ooed and ahhed at all the right places, his vivid, childlike imagination creating wondrous scenes to go along with her narration. A trove of gems of untold value, forever kept away from greedy fingers by a pair of Kelvics who would respect the gift of nature for what it was, and not abuse it. Well, he supposed, now there were three. He would have loved to be there, so he could see the glory with his own eyes, unfiltered by his imagination's tendency to exaggerate. While she talked, he kept turning over the sausages to make sure they cooked evenly, and adventually piled them on a plate for later consumption. The shredded potatoes replaced the meat in the pan, the bottom quickly browning in the hot oil left over. He added a little salt and thyme to the mix to add a bit of spice. That in combination with the pork fat would make for a mighty tasty hash.

“...But I hope you enjoyed the story, regardless," she finished, ending the rather profound nature of her previous analysis. Dan applauded her happily, “That was great! Are you sure you don’t want to be a bard of some sort? Oh, what I would give to see that! It sounds so beautiful.” He had so many questions he wanted to ask, but restrained himself somewhat, “Did he ever tell you how he found it? Is it near Syliras, or far away? I bet it was amazing...” He trailed off wistfully, turning from her to keep an eye on the potatoes, though still keeping his ears and thoughts trained on her story. The only jewels he had seen had been in shops and worn on the bodies of nobles. All of those had a hefty gold price on them, however. It was good to hear of something much more beautiful reserved for all to see at no cost. All you had to do was find it. There was something metaphorical about that; you could find beauty anywhere if you chose to seek it out.

The potatoes were soon fried to a nice golden brown color (in some places), and Dan divided them among the two other plates set out for them. He handed Joanna a set of silverware and said, “Take as many sausages as you like, they are only for us! The potatoes look alright, don't they?” Metal tinkled against ceramics as he loaded a bite with the end of a sausage and a small heap of potatoes. The sausages were well seasoned, and luckily cooked thoroughly. The skin was a little blackened where it had sat particularly long on the heat, but that just added a little smoky flavor. “Mmm! This is way better than last night’s! Don’t you think?” he exclaimed with a chuckle, happy to be eating suitable fair than the mashed berry monstrosity they had ‘cooked’ up last night.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Joanna Familiaris on November 20th, 2015, 6:03 am

Joanna was pleased that Dan found so much enjoyment out of her tale, as small as it was. It was one of many memories she held dearly. It was bright and cheerful, a reminder of times that were and that might be. And most of all, it reminded her of her brother, Voriel , who had been a huge part of her life both before and after their father died. Looking back on it, Joanna couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving so much to her brother during those long, painful seasons. Like she should have helped somehow. She had been worthless. A burden. She wanted nothing more than to go back in time to fix it all.

She forced her thoughts back. One slip was bad enough. Another crack and her carefully constructed barrier might just give way, and she did not want Dan around to see the fallout. In time, she told herself. It would be nice to get it off her chest, to put words to the indescribable emotions running through her, though at But at the same time there was no way Beodan could ever look at her the same way. Everyone in Mizahar seemed to have their secrets. Everyone had lost something, been hurt, or just dealt a bad hand. And while Joanna had never taken an innocent life or performed an act of true evil, the things she did felt so... wrong. So inconceivably, unjustifiably... wrong. It hurt just to think about it. In time, though. She promised herself.

Dan's voice brought her back to reality with a big, beaming smile on her face. "A bard? Please... I lack the wit. And the intellect. I'm mostly just good at bashing my head against a wall until one or the other breaks. The only reason I'm not lumbering around like an oaf is because of all the grueling etiquette classes I've had to attend." The smell of cooked sausages was filling the air, wafting through her nostrils and tickling her tongue. She could already taste it. It felt like a lifetime since she had eaten meat that wasn't preserved to last a century and a half. This was fresh, juicy meat. Just thinking about it made her mouth water.

“Did he ever tell you how he found it? Is it near Syliras, or far away? I bet it was amazing...” Joanna blinked, bringing herself back into focus. "hunh? O-oh! Well, It's not a place you can find on the map. It's very well hidden. Any time we're near Sunberth, I promise I'll show it to you. Course, you can't tell anybody else about it. Last thing I want is for the cave to get picked clean by miners. It's kind of a... sacred place to me" The idea of showing Dan such a personal spot made her stomach all tingly. It was one place that, despite not being quite as spectacular as her story made it out to be, gave her comfort, and letting Dan share in that comfort would be nice.

Before too long, they had a meal. Potatoes, sausage, and a generous pinch of seasoning practically leaped into the Kelvic's mouth as she hungrily devoured the food on her plate. It wasn't a five-course feast for a king, but it was perfect for Joanna. "By grace, this is fantastic, Dan!" The fire had given the sausage a nice, smokey flavor that made her think of a smoldering campfire and the potatoes were soft enough to practically melt in her mouth. It was absolute bliss.

Joanna felt guilty as she finally sat back, having realized that she ate enough for two people. Beodan exclaimed his own joy. “Mmm! This is way better than last night’s! Don’t you think?” "Huhuhu~... I think a field of wilted daisies would taste better than my mess of a sandwich." She giggled and stood up, popping the bones along her back as she reached up. She was already exhausted. They had managed to do so much in a single day, it was astonishing. That, and having a belly full of warm meat felt like it was weighing her down and needed a good long nap to digest it all.. "I think it's bedtime for me. Care to... join me?" Her cheeks turned a shade of pink as she offered a hand to Beodan. Just the thought of them cuddling together in bed, warding off the cold with their bodies... it filled her with something more than determination.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Beodan Clathony on November 26th, 2015, 2:06 am

OOCSorry this took so long, I got sick a while ago. I'm finally somewhat better! Now only have the sniffles.

“The only reason I'm not lumbering around like an oaf is because of all the grueling etiquette classes I've had to attend," Beodan’s guest said with a smile. He chuckled boisterously, trying to imagine either of them holding a silver spoon just so, with a lace napkin tucked in. Or however nobles acted. For all he knew of that kind of life, they could eat off the backs of exotic beasts. His mentor, being the sweet old woman she was, had impressed upon him the values of knowing how to eat and drink with at least some semblance of manners, if only to help him blend in with normal humans. To this day he hated large wooden spoons, as that had been her weapon of choice for whipping his knuckles when he violated some social rule. It was for his own good, so he did not hold it against her. He probably would have died by now if he had stepped on too many toes.

“Course, you can't tell anybody else about it. Last thing I want is for the cave to get picked clean by miners. It's kind of a.. sacred place to me." Dan nodded and drew his finger in a line over his chest, “Cross my heart!” He let the expression hang, and cocked his head at her before continuing. “I understand why you don’t want something like that to get out. Humans love their gems and shiny metals. Don’t they know that they are just like normal rocks? The look much better in their natural state, like what you found. No amount of cutting and setting into jewelry will bring them that glory,” he ranted mildly, miming his words. “You are right, better to keep it between you and the forest. Or plains, or desert. I’m afraid I have never been to the Sun’s Birthplace.”

“It almost makes you think I can cook, huh!” the Stallion joked, before popping another bite of sausage and potato into his mouth. He hummed in pleasure, he would never get tired of this flavor! It was so different from his usual fare. Exotic, possessing a little hearty kick that bread and plants could not compare to, though they had their own positives. In any case, it was a nice change of pace! Dan wrinkled his nose at her comparison; a wilted field of daisies was not his idea of a good time. Sweet grass was so much better tasting, and if he happened upon a patch of daisies while he was eating that, it was a bonus. But blegh, the already somewhat bitter plant typically took on a stale taste after it had wilted. He laughed, that sounded about right for their sandwich monstrosity! Stale and oozing jam.

"I think it's bedtime for me. Care to... join me?" Joanna asked softly, her fair cheeks taking on a rosy tinge. He gave her a crooked grin and took her hand, using it to pull himself up and pull her close. His lips a hair’s width away from her ear, he murmured, “I would, with pleasure. After you, m’lady.” He wondered with budding excitement if they would be going to sleep immediately, or just retiring into the warmth of heavy covers and each other. He held the tent flap open for her, and followed her into the tent at her heels. It was a good deal warmer inside, thank the heavens. He threw back the sheets and feel backwards onto the cosy sheets, playfully tugging her down on top of him with a smile. A hand traced up to her chin, and he held the end of her jaw in the crook of his finger. His eyes flashed then flickered closed as he leaned forward to press his lips against hers. Before his mind was too far gone into bliss, Dan pulled the covers up with a spare hand, wrapping them in an inanimate, but nonetheless warm embrace.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Day in Town [Joanna]

Postby Samuel Longwell on April 2nd, 2017, 6:31 pm

Grading Complete

Please edit your grade request thread so that it's obvious that it's been graded. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/problems with your grade.

Name: Beodan

XP Award:
  • Observation 5
  • Herbalism 4
  • Socialisation 5
  • Flirting 5
  • Planning 1
  • Endurance 1
  • Rhetoric 3
  • Running 1
  • Seduction 3
  • Philosophy 2
  • Cooking 2
Lore:
  • Two cups not one!
  • Making tea for a night's guest
  • Joanna: Pheromones in the air
  • Shopping with Joanna
  • Admiring a beautiful mortar
  • Cinnamon bun: Pure pleasure
  • Joanna: Someone special
  • The pleasure of sharing a bath
  • Joanna: Not marked by Priskil
  • The pain of a severed bond
  • Letting go of Moxie
  • Joanna: A calming presence
Rewards: The book you gained has some useful information, but some of the information within it is unreliable. Of the plants you recognise, you agree with about 60% of the descriptions of their uses. (As a low quality book, the book cannot be used to gain experience in a skill.)
Notes: Please subtract 13 GM, 7 SM from your ledger for your purchases. I enjoyed the thread, which is a good thing as it's the longest thread I've had to grade :P The relationship between the pair of you was very heartwarming. I hope you enjoy your grades. Joanna, if you come back and pay your seasonal expenses I will grade this for you.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous