Leviathan Defense

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Leviathan Defense

Postby Raust Benjamin on December 25th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Leviathan Defense
Business Type: Combative Club
Goods and Services Offered:
Day Use: 75gm
Bell Use: 5gm
Full Membership(good for one year): 300gm
Equipement Rental: Weapons (5gm per day, 30gm if lost), Armor (15gm per day, 75gm if lost)
Tournament Entry: Tournaments will be hosted by LD periodically. It costs 10gm to enter unless you are a full member. The reward depends on how many who enter.

Base Income: Mercenary (7 gm)

Skill Bonus: Competent Weapon (sword): 3.5 gm

Sale's Bonus: 3 gm

Total Income: 13 gm/day.

Assets: Leviathan HQ is a stone building that contains all the basic luxuries that mercenaries are use to. A kitchen, infirmary, armory, barracks and other amenities will be available to the Leviathans. The building is located within Riverfall, and although not the best in appearance thus far, Raust has plans to expand as soon as the money started rolling in. Weapons and armor is provided to every Leviathan featuring skirmish swords, longswords, battleaxes, spears and 10 pieces of scale mail for the Leviathans.

Concept: This is not your regular combat club(again, a euphemism for mercenary company.) It is owned by Raust Benjamin who came to the idea after meeting with several mercanaries who complained of a lack of a safe meeting spot, away from the public. He also knew that there was some parts of the population who did not want to use the public training rooms of the Akalak in Riverfall. Thus, he created Leviathan Defense. It is mercanaries one-stop shop for all their needs. One can stay the night there, train, eat, get treated for injuries, rent out equipment, meet there with potential clients or with each other. All meetings are private and confidentiality is fully enforced within the walls of Leviathan. Day use means that you are spending the entire day there and that you are staying that night as well. By the bell means exactly what it says. While within Leviathan, one can use the training room, infirmary, kitchen, office area and any of the facilities. It is truly made to suit the needs of combatants everywhere. Raust will also be hosting tournaments for the best of Riverfall's warriors to come out and try to prove who is the best. There is an entry fee, but the warrior who wins will win a substantial reward. Leviathan Defense is much like a gym with its memberships and facilities, yet those facilities are targeted towards those with a combative nature. It will also be a potential hot spot for those looking for able-bodied warriors to come and find themselves some warriors, so that adds to the potential benefits of joining Leviathan Defense or just using the facilities.

Debt: Leviathan HQ which includes:
barracks(simple,800gm)
armory(simple,500gm)s
common area(simple,250gm)
kitchen(simple,800gm)
bath(simple, 200gm)
infirmary(simple,800gm)
guard post(300gm)
courtyard(simple,200gm)
prison cell(300gm)
training room(1,000gm)
office(simple,200gm)
office(simple,200gm)
office(simple,200gm)
Skirmish swordsx10(250gm)
Longswordsx10(100gm)
Battleaxex10(100gm)
Spearx10(100gm)
Scale Mailx10(500gm)
Total: 5350-25%=4013+1050=5463 mizas indebted to Riverfall.
Last edited by Raust Benjamin on December 29th, 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Raust Benjamin
The Leviathan

Words: 14487
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2015, 6:27 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Leviathan Defense

Postby Gillar on December 26th, 2015, 1:37 am

A solid start of a plan. There are a few things that need added/modified/adjusted to make it ready for potential approval. The business plan should be as complete as you can make it so that much of it can be easily transferred into the actual business write-up once it is granted final approval by the attending Storyteller. It also allows a Storyteller to see exactly what your business entails behind the scenes.

First, you need to assign some sort of value, even if it is a range of value, to the services you provide. If they are all meant to be negotiated, which I would think the costs for the services you listed would be, you should mention that all prices are negotiated.

Second, your sales bonus for being the owner/operator of this business is 20% of your income (decimals round down). So in this case, 7 gm (base) plus 3 gm (skill) equals 10 gm + 20% = 12 gm / day final income.

While your asset list is a good summary, you need to have more details. The list should include anything and everything that you would have to purchase in order to have the business as well as the cost. The barracks that you mentioned should have each structural component listed with its cost as well as quality. I am assuming that each component you mentioned is of Simple quality but you need to be sure to note that with the cost. Anything that is not included with the structural components needs to be purchased separately as well. So any added furniture for example would need to be listed and purchased separately. You mentioned beds enough for ten men but keep in mind that the barracks structural component comes with 10 basic beds as well as footlockers and a small privy.

Also, the swords and shields that you listed to equip the men needs to be detailed. You should mention exactly what kind of swords and shields you are going to include along with their costs.

Overall you have a very good idea going here. Offering facilities and equipment to a mercenary crew while aiding in the negotiating of contracts is a unique idea.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Leviathan Defense

Postby Raust Benjamin on December 26th, 2015, 6:45 am

I think I fixed all the problems :D
Raust Benjamin
The Leviathan

Character sheet

Leviathan Defense

Postby Gillar on December 28th, 2015, 7:29 am

You're getting there but there are still a few issues remaining. First, your income. Base income is 7 gm. Skill bonus is 3 gm. Sales bonus is 2 gm. This leaves you a total of 12 gm per day, not 14.5 gm per day.

Next, the way you make this business sound in the updated edit, it is supposed to be a substitute for the forces that already defend Riverfall. Keep in mind that all Akalak's in Riverfall are trained from birth in combat. Thus each and every one of them in the city is a skilled combatant to some extent. Their is no need for a substitute force for security or any other sort of militant-based task in or around the city. If you go that direction, chances are your business will not gain final approval for operation in the city. It should supplement not replace. It should offer an alternative not a primary service to the city.

Since you aren't actually paying any standing force to occupy your facilities, you do not have anyone of hand to actively serve in the role you seem to want. From what I gathered pre-edit, your business offers facilities, weapons and armor to mercenaries. You seek out contracts and then work as the go between for the customer and the mercenaries. The mercenaries aren't always going to be the same people. They aren't spending all their time in your barracks and won't be using your facilities on a regular basis. They aren't answering to you in any way other than what is agreed upon in regards to use of your services and facilities. You're taking a cut of the agreed upon price to help pay for your time and use of facilities and equipment. Behind the scenes, your cut pays for the upkeep of your facilities, the repair and/or replacement of equipment and finally your left over profit. Basically, you don't have mercenaries on hand to serve you at will.

At the start, your facilities are bare-bones basic. The military force already established in Riverfall is far beyond anything any starting business could hope to match. Those who would use your facilities and basically make your business work, are going to be non-Akalak humanoids within the city who have some amount of skill in combat, tracking, wilderness survival or maybe even larceny. They are the type of people who make a living taking the jobs that the established security forces can't or won't take for whatever reason though usually because it is either not worth their time or is not exactly legal or looked highly upon. This should be the appeal you go for with a business like this. Your customers are not just those who are offering a contract but also those who are accepting the contract.

If you wish your end-goal to be a leader of a mercenary company with a standing force that is ready and willing to take on all manner of contract for the right price, then that should be what you work to build up to. In order for that to happen, you have to gain much more skill and experience in order to increase your income to a point that you can afford to keep a standing force as well as upgrade your facilities.

The initial concept as I understood it with the go between offering facilities and services as well as seeking out contracts for potential mercenaries to take, was an excellent, unique start to a Mizahar business. It offers a perfect path toward building a greater business full of story and enjoyment. It is that type of business I could approve.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Leviathan Defense

Postby Raust Benjamin on December 28th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Okay I wasn't sure how in my edit I changed the concept of the business but I added another paragraph to the concept part to clarify the points you made. I didn't think I made changes the first time that changed the entire system of the business. I added bottom fees so that customers know that they are going to at least pay this amount. Let me know what you think now.
Raust Benjamin
The Leviathan

Character sheet

Leviathan Defense

Postby Gillar on December 28th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Approved with the following notations/suggestions/required modifications: The plan has shaped up and is approved assuming one last issue is addressed. While it doesn't affect your final income, you are taking the largest cut of varied contracts by over 50 % yet when it comes down to it, you aren't doing any of the actual work. No worthwhile mercenary is going to give up over half their pay for the use of equipment and facilities. The idea should be to make the business attractive enough to bring in mercenaries who may use it. I see something more like you taking a 1/3 cut to be more appropriate. If left as-is, the sales bonus would be lost due to the difficulty in finding mercenaries willing to give up so much. This would leave you at 10 gm / day final income. Changed to say 8 gm out of 25 gm going to you and the other 17 gm going to the mercenaries, I could approve an extra 1 gm / day Ingenuity/Efficiency bonus for an adjusted final income of 13 gm / day.

This way, if approved for a city location, you have a better chance of gaining more skilled NPCs to answer your call and perhaps join your own mercenary company.

Disclaimer: This approval is valid only when noted conditions/modifications are satisfied. Final approval of the actual location is left to the attending storyteller and approval of any current or future NPCs is also not included here.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Leviathan Defense

Postby Gossamer on December 31st, 2015, 5:08 pm

So, as sometimes happens, just because a Business Plan gets approved by Gillar, doesn't mean it gets approved by a DS for an area. As this was, it would not work for Riverfall since Riverfall's residence are trained as much if not more than most mercenaries and there wouldn't be a lot of contracts available for say defending events, caravans, etc.

Instead, you has changed it to be more of a center for Mercs to gather, train, and crash. They can use offices to sign contracts, store their gear on site, etc.

My only issue is that RF typically loans coin for businesses that needs to be paid back within 2 irl years. That's eight payments - 4 seasons a year 2 years.

You are attempting to borrow 5,463 Gold Mizas. You divide that by 8, and you have a payment of 683 a season roughly. Your PC is making 13 GM a day as a Merc according to you and your breakdown. I think its a bit presumptuous to say your making the top end of that when its up to the DS to decide, not your pc. I could have assigned you 5 GM instead of 7 GM and I have for new players. I'm going to let that stand though.

That being said, you'll be earning 1,183 GM a season until your skills improve.

Your payments are 683 a season. Your cost of living expenses in RF have to Common living or higher which is 135 GM a season. If you RP your PC being in expensive clothing, good quality leathers and nice gear/weapons then you need to be operating under Good at 450 a season.

1183-683= 500 gold left. So you can either have 50 gold to play with seasonally and save on the level you are RPing on now... or you can have 365 gold to play with, tone down your RP wealth level, and I can approve all of this.

You will be required to write up your own location. Be sure you stick to the parameters in the description of just what you bought. Meaning mercs don't get private rooms, they have a bunk in the barracks etc. You can expand later. If you have leftover coin from your personal stash, you should probably consider adding land to the original purchase so you can expand later if you want.

Otherwise you need to create a post (probably in Plotnotes) tracking your expenses for the business and repayments etc. And if you want to do any improvements with your own funds, feel free to track that there. You still need to track expenses in your CS, especially your repayments. But you want to make sure if you say for instance you have a temple in your new place installed after you did the business plan which had none, you tracked that somewhere all together where an ST can see it.

I'm all prepared to approve this so long as its good with you.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)