Fate Leads the Willing (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 7:27 am

The sound of the 19th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Pain and her father sat in silence, her father's peaceful gaze opposed to his daughter's wild eyes. What the hell reason was there to go that far? In the amount of time it would take to get there, she could have covered a good section of the wildlands looking for her! Pain's mouth worked up and down, but no words were produced. She'd come to trust her father in regards to this woman and their strategy for dealing with her, but this made no sense. Fortunately, he would clarify his suggestion before his daughter made a sound.

"Please, just hear me out Elhaym. When I found this woman last, she was on horseback and had many supplies... it looked as though she would be traveling far. With her skills, no doubt she can survive on her own. I have no way of knowing in which direction she went, and even if she's still in Sylira." He said softly, taking pause to formulate his explanation further. "We don't know where she is, who she really is, or what she is capable of. Worse yet, you and I aren't even sure if you could challenge her at this point. I refuse to send my child to die, be it due to the danger of the wilds or especially by her hand. I simply think... if you were to make your way to Alvadas, join up with a caravan or trading company that could see you safe passage... well, when you make it to Lhavit, I feel like we can get some answers. No, not we. You. You could find out who she is, and what she is capable of. Once you know that, you could prepare yourself for her."

"So, once I did that... it would just be a matter of finding the bitch."

"In short, yes. Lhavit is very different from Syliras, but I think you will be accepted there. We... our whole family, we never fit in here. In Lhavit, you will do well Elhaym. You can earn the trust of those who could aid your search, and find the answers you need. That's why I wrote what I wrote... that journal is to be your guide on this journey."

Pain's relaxed posture with her feet up and her chair back had long given way to a eager pose, literally sitting on the edge of her seat. The idea was ludicrous. To travel so far? Insanity. Yet... it made sense. Her father was planner. She was a finisher. She needed his advice, and though it was hard to admit... it did seem like the most logical thing to do.

"Alright. I'll do it. I'll go to Lhavit... and figure out just who the petch this bitch is."

Armande closed his eyes and smiled, seeming to sink even further into the cushion of the bed. In many ways he was relieved that she had accepted his plan. It had taken two days for him to introduce the nerve to tell her what he thought the best course of action was. Of course he feared that she would take it as an excuse for them to be apart again, for him to ignore, abandon, and use her for his own personal vendetta. Perhaps in his own speculation, he had forgotten just how personal this was for his daughter as well. She seemed to accept the necessity of drastic action. She was his daughter, after all.

"If you go, i'm going to stay here. In Syliras... and wait for you to return."

"Oh, I will." Pain said, and her tone jolted her father's eyes open. Her voice was pure frost, holding an icy intensity he had never experienced from his only daughter. "I'll come back... and i'll bring you her hands as proof. Her hands, that's for you. Her life... that's for Erik."

"Elhaym... are you positive you're willing to do this?"

"Yes. This woman has crippled my family and most likely hurt far more people than just us. You don't understand what this means to me, I don't think... y'know, i've been searching. Searching for that one thing that would make me want to go on. Something that would stay with me from the moment I woke until I slept, every day, driving me forward. I have to do this... for you, for my uncle, for my brother... this is my destiny."

Last edited by Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 8:56 am

69th Day of Fall, 510 AV

The sound of the 5th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

"Elhaym!? Wake up!"

The slamming of her room's door accented the rude awakening, and Pain shot up from her sleepy stupor. She had been laying on the ground, sleeping on a pallet of old blankets and thin, worn pillows for the past three nights. "Oh gods, what's he want... I bet he thinks i've been slacking off, getting fat and lazy. Gotta wake me up and convince me to go break my knuckles on somethin'... well, I haven't done anything than sleep, eat and talk in the last few days, so..."

Pain's sleep drunk conversation in her head dulled out the sound of her father's voice for only a few seconds before it fully woke her. Somewhat alert, she looked up at him with a confused and startled expression. "What the hell are you doing up already old man?"

"I'm gonna live here, aren't I? I can't keep sleeping in a rented room with my daughter like i'm some crippled old bastard. I went out early, trying to find some work before everyone who's hiring got too busy. That's not it though, Elhaym. There's a ship. A ship leaving for Kalea tomorrow... and the journey is free! It will cost you nothing. Elhaym, this is an opportunity we shouldn't pass up."

"I... err, it's free? No Mizas...? How?"

"Listen, I don't know the details really. It's on route to Alvadas, and from there you can travel to Lhavit. You may have to stay in Alvadas a while and formulate a plan from there but... well, the less time you spend there the better. I know you can do this, Elhaym."

Though Pain had also heard of Alvadas, she had dismissed the cities reputation as an overstated folklore. How wrong she was. Her father mentioned not staying there long, though she assumed this was due to their own personal urgency for her to find information in Lhavit. Rather, Armande knew what was in store for Elhaym in Alvadas... but his confidence in his daughter was steadfast. He knew she could handle the dangers.

"Aw... shyke. If I leave tomorrow, I gotta go tell Lirelle... she'll probably send some crazed sniffer dog to find me and tear out my throat if I just leave without saying a word."

"Elhaym, if you leave tomorrow... there are many things you must do today. Listen to me Elhaym... this is fate. I can see you've already resolved to go, if you're taking others into consideration. I know i've not been a good father, but let me remedy that starting today. Elhaym..." Armande said, his voice quivering with both excitement and a care. He truly believed some divine intervention had taken place, providing a perfect route for his daughter to begin her mission.

"Do everything you've ever wanted to do in Syliras, and do it today. Leave no stone unturned... leave no wish unfulfilled. Part ways with those you have shared time with, and find joy in frivolous things that you took for granted in the past. Trust me Elhaym... make this your day. Command it, own it, and never forget it."

Pain sat still, half her body still embedded in her sleeping arrangement. Her eyes widened, the sleep fading away as a new sense of urgency overcame her. Gods, he was right. It would be foolish not to take this chance, but if she did... there was a lot to do. A lot.

Pain roared from her seated position, clumsily slamming about the darkened room until she located a chest of drawers in the shadows. The sound of wood scraping wood rattled the room, and she quickly pulled a white overshirt over her already assembled outfit; black knee length shorts and a simple shirt dyed black to match (her father had commented on her dressing like a boy, which was nearly met with a broken jaw). Pain clumsily hopped about the room, sliding one sandal on and then switching to the other. Tanny had taken to the madness, running in circles around Pain and barking happily. Finding his leash was a chore, but once Pain latched it around his collar and collected a small bag of Miza's from her tiny kitchenette she was ready.

"Alright... (huff huff)... i'm gonna... (huff huff)... be out for a while." Pain said, her breath coming quick from both excitement and the turmoil which had unfolded in her room in mere seconds. Her father had merely stood in the doorway, watching in semi amazement as his daughter crashed about, slamming into things and knocking everything he thought possible over in her scramble to get ready.

"Alright, Elhaym... I think i'll put my search for employment on hold for today, if you'll do me a favor... I can collect a few things you may need, but i'm going to need some..."

"Far right corner, up high. Big bag. Get whatever. Bye!" Pain yelled, whirling in a circle before crusing past her father. He nearly double taked as she lightly pecked him on the cheek as she passed. Suddenly, as he was left standing alone in her room he couldn't help but laugh out loud. He felt like a small boy asking his dad for a few Mizas at the festival. He shook his head, the smile never fading as he located Pain's money stash. She would need supplies, and he knew what would be most handy. He had many things to do as well... and many things to plan for.

Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 9:24 am

The sound of the 6th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Tanny was hustling. He seemed to have picked up on Pain's energized pace this morning, and he was ready. They wasted little time getting a few bites to eat from the street vendors, and making their way to the Tooth and Claw. It was Pain's first stop. Lirelle had taken a chance on her, and she wasn't looking forward to this... but she hoped she would understand. Lirelle would know something was going on when Pain showed up two hours early for work... and as Pain anticipated, her head snapped to attention when The sound of six legs (two human, four canine) plodded through the warehouse doors.

"You're early. That's... refreshing." Lirelle said in a lighthearted tone. Pain had been late to work once. Sometimes she wondered if Lirelle would ever forget.

"Lirelle... I, uh... look, we need to talk." Pain said in a tone that could best be described as wimpy. It felt like her confidence had dribbled out her mouth and puddled up on the floor. Mostly, it was Lirelle's reaction. She sighed, and turned to face Pain with her arms folded across her chest. Her stare said "Spit it out!"

"Well, there's some... err, family stuff. Issues. I, uh... i'm leaving Syliras. Tomorrow. I'm headed to Kalea, and I-" But Pain couldn't finish. Lirelle had paced towards her as she spoke, and now stood eye to eye with her.

"Well, everyones gotta go sometime. I guess. You know, it would have been a little more proper to give me some warning, Elhaym." Lirelle said, her voice straining for firm. Despite her day to day demeaner, Lirelle had come to enjoy Pain as an employee. She did her duties well and never really complained about anything too much.

"Lirelle, I would have... but this just came up. I only found out about a ship leaving the port this morning, and I have to go. I'm... really sorry."

"Oh. By sea, huh." Lirelle said, a hint of question in her voice. She'd heard of this ship, and she knew where it was going... she'd heard the whole "family emergency" line before, and she knew a lie when she heard one. Pain's body language denoted finality, and a sense of responsibility. Why she needed to get on board that ship was beyond her, but she contested no further.

"Okay, well... if you're leaving, you're leaving. I'm used to this... remember what I said when I hired you? Most people disappear after a week. At least in your case, you stuck around long enough to have been useful." Lirelle said, maneuvering her way through the warehouse and motioning for Pain to follow. Pain nodded and complied, content that Lirelle had made things easy on her. When they stopped, Lirelle was bending down over a large iron safe. When the door swung open, she set to gathering some coin, counting in her head as she stuffed them into a small linen bag that had been inside the safe. When the door slammed and the key turned, she turned to Pain and shoved the bag towards her.

"Normally you wouldn't have gotten paid today, but I assume you won't be around to get it later in the week. Elhaym... you're welcome back here, if you ever do come back. I... enjoyed it."

And with that, Lirelle nearly launched herself towards the animal enclosures, seemingly uncomfortable with what almost became a emotional exchange between the two. Ah well, that was just who she was. Pain smiled, and shrugged. Tanny wiggled at her feet, apparently excited to be in the Tooth and Claw. It was one of his favorite places, after all.

"Sorry Tanny, but we won't be back here for a while... but, it was fun while it lasted... wasn't it? Besides... this is where I found you." She said, bending down to pat his scruffy head. He panted in return, which Pain considered a smile. Together, the departed the Tooth and Claw on good terms. Hopefully, it would not be the last time Pain ever went inside.

The sound of the 7th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

It just so happened that of all the Knight's in Syliras Pain could have searched for, the one she needed seemed to be off duty. That, and the first Knight Pain had asked had made it very clear that he, or anyone else would not be giving her any information as to a specific Knight's whereabouts whether on duty or not. Feeling rather embarrassed (and feeling like she was being watched once again), Pain decided to take what initiative she could to contact Daniel Ward. Or rather, Syliran Knight Daniel Ward, 2nd Wing, Black Company, 3rd Regiment, Silver Quadron. Oh yes, those words had been etched into her memory permanently. She had nearly peed herself upon hearing them.

She'd managed to grab her sketching supplies in her rush, and that would come in hand now. If she couldn't speak to him face to face, she would write him a letter. It should suffice... after all, her father had mentioned knowing him. Surely, he could find old Armande and get the facts straight if he cared too much. With a spry Tanny in tow, Pain walked at brisk pace towards a certain courtyard that was located no far from the Tooth and Claw. She went here often to draw, rest, or just get away. At this hour, it was still fairly quiet... and so upon bursting through the echoing hallways of the castle and into the courtyard, Pain set to work.

Pain needed to send some sort of communication to the Knight and explain her sudden departure. She was not expected too, but she felt that she should make him aware in good conscious. She had proven troublesome to him and the Knights in the past, and wanted no ire from them. The last thing she needed was being apprehended at the docks for attempting to flee under the assumption that she had yet again caused trouble.

As she sat, the idea of leaving behind others without so much as a word floated through her mind... and she remembered what her father had said.

Part ways with those you have shared time with...

It would be rude to just leave without letting them know. With that in mind, Pain sat in that same courtyard where she often drew, and instead wrote. She wrote quite a few letters, some very brief and others a bit more emotional. All in all, when she was done... the only thing left to do was deliver them and continue on with her day.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 10:51 am

The sound of the 8th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Pain shuffled along the stone corridor, one arm helping bear the load of her satchel and Tanny's leash, while the other clutched several folder letter's she had written. Her handwriting wasn't great, and she'd use a piece of sharpened graphite to write them... it was all she had. Despite, she hoped that all of the people she had written to would received their letter and know that she had thought of them before departing.

The first two letters would be the easiest to deliver. Pain simply walked until she came across a Knight that seemed to be on a casual patrol. When she approached, she asked the Knight if there was any way to deliver a letter to a Knight. When he asked what it was about, she simply said it was a farewell letter and pulled free two of the notes. A metallic hand took the thin paper in hand, and the Knight glanced at the names. One seemed to be a Knight of some station, though he didn't know him personally. The other was a squire. Pain stood, shuffling a bit uncomfortably as he studied the letters, opening them and taking a quick peek inside.

"Well, that was kind of rude..." she thought, her face contorting a bit and biting down on her lower lip as his gaze returned to her.

"Okay, sure. I'm heading back that way anyway... i'll see to it that they receive these. Good day, ma'am'." He said with a friendly smile, promptly turning and walking the other direction with a clankity clank. Success! Though the poor Knight probably just wanted an excuse to go take a load off for a bit instead of pounding ground all day in the streets in full armor. Either way, the first two letters would be received.

Adressed to Syliran Knight Daniel Ward, 2nd Wing, Black Company, 3rd Regiment, Silver Quadron :
Daniel,

I couldn't find you personally, so i'm leaving you this letter instead. It's probably better this way, I don't do well with words in person. What I wanted to tell you is that i'll be leaving Syliras tomorrow. That's the 70th of Fall, in case you don't get this for a while. I have a lot of things I need to handle, and leaving Syliras is necessary for me right now. Now... I guess what I really wanted to tell you Thank You!!! I've been nothing but trouble for the Knights since I set foot in this city in the Summer. I'm surprised i'm not rotting in a cell or breaking rocks right now (that's supposed to be funny). The truth is, I just feel like I owe you for being (unintelligible smudge) ... sorry, it's hard to erase graphite. I feel like I owe you for being so devoted to your station as a knight. You really dug down and found the truth about what happened to me, and though you came down on me, you did so with (another smudge) ... is poise the word? I think so. Anyway, I won't forget what you or the Knights have done for me. I really wish you all the best, and though I don't really have any connection to a god so to speak, i'll pray that the guardians of Syliras remain safe from harm. You keep this city safe... even if sometimes it's from people like me.

Oh, by the way, I hear you know my father. He's in Syliras now for good... so if you want to talk to him about what's going on, i'm sure he'd let you know. He'll probably be at Traveler's Row. The old man hasn't got a penny. Maybe you could give him some work? He's had a rough life and made a lot of mistakes. I think he's trying to make up for it. Well, thats all I wanted to say. I wish you well.

Regards,
Elhaym Edina Vormav
(and in the corner, signed as if it were a drawing... Pain)

Adressed to Markus Andres :
Markus,

We don't know each other all too well. In fact, not really at all. I guess despite that I felt like letting you know that i'm leaving Syliras for a while. There's a lot of things I need to take care of. Remember when I asked you what your purpose was for joining the Knights? Well, when I asked you that... it was because I was searching for my own purpose. Seems i've found it, and it will take me far away from here.

Hey, writing is pretty easy. I should do this more often. I'm not very good at putting things into words, but it's a lot easier this way. Anyways (unintelligible smudge) ... never mind, still pretty hard. Well, it's just that I hope you stay on course. Keep on traveling down the road you're on... keep on protecting people from "the bad stuff". You'll be a damn good Knight one day, I know it. Besides, when I get back to Syliras (I will one day), i'm going to have to challenge you to a rematch. You don't want to get your ass kicked by a girl twice, now do you? I didn't think so. Be well Markus. You can make a difference in this world if you want too.

Best Wishes,
Elhaym Edina Vormav

The next letter was a bit more direct, and Pain wasn't sure she'd even needed to write it. She'd had a good idea where to find this fellow... but time was of the essence, and she took no chances. Pain had never actually been to The Welcome Home, so the recent repairs to the damage it had sustained were lost to her. She quietly knocked on the door, perhaps quiet enough so that no would answer on purpose... either way, no one answered. Phew. Pain carefully slid the thin letter into small space between the door and the door frame, and turned to leave... but something pulled at her wrist. Tanny?

"Come on Tanny, Dashish! Da... oh. Oh dear."

Yup, he peed on the front door. Pain burst into laughter, and tugged on Tanny's leash to get him moving. Fleeting thoughts of the freak stepping out the door and into a puddle of weewee flowed through her head, furthering her laughter.

Addressed to The Freak (Though Stitch will know this is for him) :
Hey Stitch,

I hope you are doing well. I'm not doing so bad myself. Just thought I should tell you that i'm leaving Syliras and probably won't be returning for a while. You're a good person, and I think you should know why. Well, in short, my father found me. I hadn't talked to him in years, but he showed up on my doorstep so to speak. Funny how that works. (smudge smudge smudge) Sorry, didn't think you'd care about that, so I erased it. Well, in a nutshell i'm going after the woman who killed my brother. Did I tell you about him? I can't remember, because every time we met you had a habit of knocking me out, asshole.

Well, look. We have really different views on how things work when it comes to... these things. I know what you're thinking. I'm sorry, but when I find her (not if), I am going to kill her. She's destroyed far too much in my life to let her remain anything but a bad memory. I hope you understand that i'm not a murderer, or a bad person. But really, this bitch has to die. I'm going to Lhavit to find out more about her, i'm sure you know where that is. Tomorrow morning I leave on a ship to Alvadas, and from there i'll figure out how to get to Lhavit. It's going to be a hard trip, but i'm ready. You helped me get ready, big guy. I've got some blood on my hands, but you stopped me from getting more than I already have... some may think that doesn't matter. Every time I think of that day, when it rained... i'm really glad you stopped me.

This bitch isn't like those two guys, Stitch. She's a monster. She'll get no compassion from me. I guess as I write this, i'm getting a little scared. I remember how angry I was, what I was willing to do to kill. Will that happen when I see her? Honestly, I hope it does. Pray for me, Stitch. I will need the luck of the gods to see this through. I just wanted you to know that even though we never really spent much time together, and we didn't talk much... I do consider you a friend. I'm in short supply of those these days.

Also, I hope you get out of that damned depression, or already have. You're the kindest soul i've ever met, I me(unintelligible scribble)... son of a bitch, my pencil broke. Well, like I said, you're a good person. Shyke happens Stitch, and we all make mistakes... but remember that you have to rule your mistakes, don't let them rule you. Only you can change what you will become... don't let your past sins define what you will be tomorrow. Okay, I am about to throw up on this paper from all this gushy shyke. Freak, I wish you well.

Take care of yourself.

Sincerely,
Elhaym Edina Vormav

Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 21st, 2010, 11:44 pm

Background Music :

The sound of the 11th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

They kept poking her eyes and brushing weird stuff on her face. It tickled. Pain's face contorted from side to side as two women labored over her face, stooping over her with various strange tools in their hands. A burst of powder caused Pain to sneeze, and both women jumped back hurridly.

"Guh... err, sorry."

"S'alright honey! You just hang in there, we'll have you prim and perfect in no time." One of the stylists said in a cheery tone, a professionalism apparent that Pain had to admire. She was a total mess, and they had to know it.

She'd been at the Soothing Waters for nearly two hours. Pain had burst through the doors, carrying a dress over her shoulder and proudly announcing that she would like the royal treatment. The workers in the front had seemed a bit confused, but Pain put her hands on her hips and grinned wide. Her naivity and odd request were almost adorable, and she did look to need some help on the beauty and cleanliness front... and as such, she had been whisked away into a private bath. Once cleaned (which was oh so glorious), she was led to a parlor where a particularly well built man had administered an hour long deep tissue massage. He'd labored and grunted, noting that Pain's muscles were "strung like a lute", but when his work was done she thought she might have never felt better in her life. Not to mention that, despite her waning interest in men, the guy was pretty handsome...

Before Pain's morality degraded any further and her sex drive rose any higher, she was once again whisked away into yet another room. As Pain was led, she glanced back at the young guy who had given her the massage. Rippling muscles, strong jaw, glistening sheen of sweat... Pain's eyes bulged and her heels dug in, half heartedly trying to get back there. The woman guiding her gripped her elbow tighter, and pulled her along.

"Snap out of it honey, he's dirtier than a horse's ass." She said with a pearly white smile. Pain's eyes widened even further, and her face instantly burned red with embarrassment. She didn't have much time to worry about it as she was placed in a chair, and the two stylists set to work.

When it was all said and done, Pain was given a small mirror to look at herself. It was... really, really odd. Her hair normally was matted and fell straight, but after the stylists had done their work she looked completely different. Not to mention the cosmetics liberally applied all over her face. They had even covered up some of the minor bruising and scarring along her shoulders and back.
Pain took a moment to collect the dress and underdress she had purchased and slip into them. The dress was simple, a cotton sleeveless piece that was dyed black and bought off the rack at the Elegant Weave. She'd declined any sort of fancy footwear... she had to draw the line somewhere. Her black sandals would have to do. As she emerged, the two women clapped with excitement, apparently genuinely pleased with her transformation. Except for one, tiny thing.

"Oh, honey... those bruises on your hands. It just doesn't mesh. Here, hold on a second." The head stylist said, rushing towards a small cubby in the corner of the room. It looked to contain her own personal belongings, but she emerged with a pair of long black gloves, form fitting and very thin that reached up to the elbow. "Put these on, and got goodness sake don't take them off!"

"I, err... wow. Well, thanks. This is... really somethin'." Pain said, almost memorized by her own visage as she turned to face a full length mirror. She struck a pose, and then another. Damn. She had felt stupid for doing this in the beginning, doing the whole "girly" thing. But how many times had she seen a woman on the street, or met someone who was so much prettier than she? She wasn't gorgeous, but dammit, she wasn't just a bulldyke pitfighter either.

Before Pain left, she asked one of the woman if they would be able to deliver a letter for her to someone who worked here. They were quite willing, but when Pain mentioned Aselia's name their expressions saddened. Apparently, she had left the Soothing Waters and no longer worked there. Pain sighed, quite sure now that she would never get to see Aselia or deliver her letter. It was unfair, because of all the people she'd known, Aselia was perhaps the one she most wanted to share what she would do with... she had found her purpose. Well, that was life. Maybe they would meet eachother again one day.

Pain's bill was ridiculous, but she didn't care. She even offered up a huge tip for the masseuse, the stylists, and the poor guy that had been dogsitting little Tanny while she was inside. When she burst back through the doors of the Soothing Waters, she was seen as never before.

Strutting throughout Syliras, Pain brandished her leash as though Tanny were the finest dog in all of Syliras, and she was a princess. Her walk even had a little more bounce to it than usual, and for the first time in ages her lopsided grin was a continuous full blown smile spread across her face.

Until she heard this.

"Ay'! Hey momma, come over here and sit on my lap... whaaat? C'mon!"
Drunk bastard. It wasn't even noon. Oh hell no. Pain twisted and turned on her heels, facing down a bearded man sitting on a stone bench situated in front of the shops she was passing. He grinned, damn near going cross eyed and waving his bottle at her.

"Petch off 'for I come over and shove that bottle up your ass, drunk bastard!" Pain screamed, shaking her fist and making quite a scene. Tanny even barked, emulating his master's threat. Though, Pain wasn't quite as threatening in her current attire. Still, he seemed to get the point. In fact, his bulged so wide and he jerked so hard from her yell that he nearly fell over backwards, and didn't say another word. The attention she had drawn in fact drew the ire of what appeared to be an off duty Syliran Knight, who seemed content to stroll towards the man and place a firm hand around his flabby bicep. From the looks of it, his future for the day revolved around being thrown into the Tank.

"That's right, son of a bitch!" Pain yelled, before sticking her chin in the air and sauntering off again. "This is my day, bitches." Pain said to herself, and smiled. You could dress her up, make her smell pretty and even hide the bruises.

But in the end, you can't hide everything.

Total Bill :
Cotton Dress (black) - 5sm
Cotton Underdress - 8sm
1 hour deep tissue massage - 35sm
Private Pool - 10sm
towels - 1cm
soap - 5cm
Makeover - 5gm
Tips - 5gm
---
Total: 14 Gold Mizas, 8 Silver Mizas, 6 Copper Mizas

Last edited by Elhaym on December 2nd, 2010, 11:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 22nd, 2010, 10:32 am

The sound of the 17th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Even in the fanciest clothes, smelling so good and cleaner than she'd ever been Pain had felt she couldn't walk another step. She'd strolled around the city, giving Tanny the workout of his lifetime and stopping to make small talk with any and all of the random inhabitants of Syliras she had grown to know. Most sad to see her go was a trader who specialized in Tal'uma rice, as Pain had come to be his single best customer. Tal'uma rice, delicious as it was, was not on the menu tonight. Now, what the hell exactly is on the menu...

Boiled goose? Pain had left Tanny back at her room, where he had nearly fallen asleep on the interior doorstep. At a slower pace than before, she'd made her way to the White Swan Inn. The meals here were supposedly fabulous, and her choice was clear. She had gotten a bit of an odd look when she asked to be seated alone, but at least she seemed to have money and didn't look like a pauper... so, here she sat. Very comfy, cushioned chair. Extravagant tableware that she couldn't fathom the use of placed around her like tools of surgery, gleaming silver in the low light. Starched white tablecloth, so far untarnished. It was strange... so this is how the rich folk ate every day. But... boiled goose? She'd made the mistake of saying "Uhh... what's, um... expensive, and good?"

The waiter had done the rest, with a beaming smile. Soup, bread, little dishes that were so tiny she wondered why they bothered... tray after fancy tray appeared before her, until the grand finale. As he lifted the silver top from her tray and presented the probably delicious bird, Pain recoiled the slightest bit but managed to keep her composure.

"Petching birds, I hate birds... look at it's disgusting neck, so long and skinny... those creepy little wings, gods! How the petch am I gonna eat this...?"

Pain looked up at her water with quivering eyes, which he apparently mistook for quivering with excitement. To compound the misery, he placed a glass of wine on the table before her. Pain's eyes fluttered, and her hand went to her chest to quell her beating heart. Of course, the faux elegance of her thin black gloves gave this an almost dramatic appearance, and so the waiter obliged with an equally dramatic bow.

"Enjoy."

"Err... yeah..." Pain squeaked, but he was already gone. Surely, he was anticipating a grand tip. Well, at least the soup and bread beforehand had been pretty delicious... Well, what the hell. Last night in town. Hate birds. Hate wine. Might as well, right?

Pain's fork and knife shook as she held each out towards the bird, which she found to have been sliced a bit for her already. Gingerly, she took a small sliver of the wretched meat and slid it on her plate. It looked so pitiful there, next to a delicious serving of greens and sliced potatoes...

... and there it remained, minus the greens and potatoes. Her sparkling white plate had been stripped of even the memory of the sides, and the sole surviver was beckoning. Pain scrunched her face, jabbed her fork in, and stuffed it into her mouth with the grace of a sledgehammer. She'd drawn some peculiar gazes her eating habits were witnessed by the others dining around her, but that stunt got her a few stares. When she spat the whole wad of slimy meat back onto her plate, a few gasps erupted. When she blindly grasped for a drink, finding the wine first, and took the whole thing back in one gulp... a few mild cries. When the wine was spewed all over the remaining goose and tablecloth? Full blown yells of surprise.

"Oh... boy." Pain muttered, sitting up as straight as she could and dabbing a napkin at the corners of her mouth. Maybe if someone had just now looked, she might still appear lady like. Her waiter, however, wasn't fooled.

"Ahem. Your bill." No beaming smile anymore. Only a thin white piece of paper that was slammed onto her table. He folded his behind his back and waited, glaring.

"Hey, whatever asshole! This food is shyke!" Pain half yelled, standing up abruptly and fumbling for the little black bag she carried that contained her Miza's. She scattered enough on the table to cover her meal, plus a little more tip than she had anticipated... but going back and taking some back would have sort of killed her vibe. Instead, she pushed her chair back under the table, raised her chin in the air, and stormed past the fuming server right out the door.

Wallet? Hurtin'. Pride? Intact. Sort of. When Pain finally returned to her room at Traveler's Row, she had a massive Tal'uma rice cake in her hand that was already mostly eaten. Tanny greeted her warmly, and her father sat at the small table sorting through a massive bag of seemingly random items.

"So, did you do it all?" He said without looking up, but when he did, he obviously noted her appearance and his eyes went cross eyed in confusion. When he finally recovered, he couldn't help but match her beaming smile.

"I imagine you did, then."

Pain's Tab at the White Swan :
Dinner - 7gm
Glass of Wine - 1gm
Tablecloth - 2sm (which almost garnered a strike to the groin)
Unintentially Generous Tip - 3gm
---
Total: 11gm, 2sm

Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on November 23rd, 2010, 3:55 am

The 19th Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Pain sat at the other side of the table, examining the plethora of supplies stacked around her. Her father had mentioned buying a few things she might need, but this seemed a bit much. How the hell would she carry all this stuff?

"I know, a lot of it was expensive." Armande said, pushing Pain's miza bag across the table toward her. It was much lighter now. She picked it up and peered at the bottom as if a hole might be the culprit, and upon realization that he really had spent so much of her money, simply tilted her head and stared.

"Listen, I wish I could have bought these things for you myself... but I had to pay almost every Miza I had left just to get back to Syliras in one piece. Yes, it was expensive..." Armande spoke in a casual tone, sliding a pair of metal spikes that Pain didn't know the function of across the table into a larger pile of the same tools. "... but these are things that Deliles and I found indispensable to living out in the wild. You're headed to a city for now, but getting to Lhavit will mean traveling through the wilds. You'll need this stuff."

"I uh, don't even know what this stuff is. How am I suppose to use it?" Pain said with a sigh, picking up a opaque jar that seemed to be filled with stick liquid. "Like this, what is this... some kind of honey?"

Her father laughed, and reached across the table to the jar. He pulled it back towards him, and placed it next to a few other items. "No, thats a thick resin that you spread over your hands and feet, it helps you climb. Trust me, these things will be handy one day. I know you don't know what they are, but I spent the majority if the day adding a little bit of information into the back of that journal I showed you. Like I said before, my brother was the woodsman... but I learned a bit about it myself. There are notes in there... if you read them, you'll eat least have a good idea of how to use this stuff."

Pain nodded, and accepted it. It was her hard earned money, but the fact that she would have to travel across uncivilized areas hadn't really occurred to her beyond fleeting thoughts. She would need this stuff, and could probably figure it out. Maybe.

"Oh, a couple things." Armande said, clearing a spot on the table and pulling a medium sized sack that had sat at his feet in the new space. It was old, caked with dust and wrapped with a braided cord. When he pulled the cord free and dipped his hand into the bag, Pain's eyes withdrew into memory as he pulled free something she'd seen quite a bit in the past. Many times...

"These were your brothers. I don't know how the petch you haven't broken both of your hands yet, but anyhow... they should fit you. I had them cinched up a bit in the fingers a while back."

"How... you've kept these for this long?" Pain said, snatching up one of the gloves and inspecting it. A bit worn, but it still seemed functional. At least she could throw a punch in training without brutalizing her fists if she wore them.

"Yes... maybe they'll come in handy for you. So, with that..." Armande said, clearly trying to avoid any sort of emotional outburst. He slid the journal towards Pain, and stood from his chair. "I'm gonna lay down for a bit, just don't have it in me to pack all that stuff up right now. I'll do it before you leave in the morning."

Pain's Wilderness Gear :
Rucksack - 1gm
Iron Pot - 5sm
Woodsman's Axe - 4gm
Whetstone - 5cm
Fishing Kit - 10gm
Gripping Resin - 10gm
Hammock - 5gm
Preserving Kit - 5gm
Strong Rations - 7gm
Bedroll - 1sm
Traveler's stock - 3gm
Water Additive - 3gm
Tent (One Person) - 2gm
Survival Knife - 5sm
Climber's Kit - 80gm
10 extra pitons - 1gm
---
Total: 136 Gold Mizas, 6 Silver Mizas, 5 Copper Mizas

The 22nd Bell is heard throughout Syliras...

Nine days ago, she sat on this same rock overlooking the Suvan Sea. So many questions had been up in the air, answers seeming distant and unattainable... yet, in a little more than a weeks time Pain had wretched herself from her depression, reconnected with her father and found herself with a purpose in life that's meaning could not be ignored. Crow. Fitting name. Pain hated birds. This one, especially.

Sitting on the rock, the stylists at the Soothing Waters would probably have had a fit if they could see her. She still wore her dress, makeup and curly hairstyle still relatively intact. It wouldn't be long before the wind would dismantle it however. Not only that, but the long elegant black gloves were nowhere to be found. Instead, Pain wore a pair of battered leather training gloves. Her brother's gloves. She wasn't training, simply wearing them. It seemed to fit... these were her last few moments in Syliras before she departed. She would be traveling far, and would see many things. She'd left home before, she'd left Syliras before. Somehow, this felt different. And then, she knew.

"This time, I leave with no regrets." Pain said aloud, standing in the windy breeze of the sea. Her black hair whipped about her face, one gloved hand covering her eyes to shield them from the wind. It was true. She'd always left her home or her city in the past because she was running away. Tomorrow, she would be charging forward instead.

Pain took a step closer to the sharp edge of the overhanging rock, and peered down at the sea below. It was churning with froth and shimmering with Leth's glow. This place was beautiful, much like the rest of Syliras.

She would miss this place.

Pain hopped down from the rock, making her way down the rocky slope a few dozen feet until she found herself on solid ground. She walked back to the main gates of Syliras at a slow pace, just as she had the last time she came here. It wasn't a hard path, but Pain was in no hurry. She knew she wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.

Tomorrow was the beginning of a new chapter in her life.

Pain had left quietly, meaning not to disturb him... but Armande hadn't been able to sleep. Giving Elhaym his son's personal items had been hard, evoking memories of both his personal role in his demise and the way he had treated Elhaym her entire life save the last few days. He had been only seconds away from breaking down. Rather than shouldering that burden on his daughter at that moment he had simply gone and laid down, clinching his fists and biting the insides of his cheeks to help fight back the tears. There had been one thing he had also meant to give her, but he hadn't been able to bring himself too.

So, as she left, Armande got up and began assembling her supplies into her own large backpack and the rucksack he had purchased with her money, making sure everything would fit. A bedroll and the tent rods, and a medium sized iron cooking pot had to be strapped to the outside, but other than that everything fit nicely. Just one more thing.

Armande reached into his pocket, withdrawing a worn and folded piece of vellum paper. He unfolded it, gazing at it one last time. A portrait of his son Erik, the charcoal and graphite that held it's form on the paper slightly worn away by time... and the signature in the bottom, etched so hard that it looked burned into the paper. It said "Pain". He refolded the drawing that Pain had done of her brother so long ago, a decade in fact... and he slid it into a pouch in her pack. It had been displayed at his funeral. Perhaps now, when she found it, it would help remind her of why she was doing what she was doing. For Armande Berial Vormav, it had been a symbol of his children for ten years as well. In the coming days, his daughter would face several trials and obstacles. It was a small token... but he was broken man with little left to offer.

Armande Berial Vormav had lost many things in his life, but he managed to smile. True, she was going away the very next day. Their time together had been short.

But at long last, the weight that had pressed so hard upon his weary body was lifted. No matter what happened, he had rediscovered what it meant to be real father. He had his little girl back.

Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on December 24th, 2010, 5:16 am

XP Award!

Pain
XP Award: Philosophy: 2 XP, Animal Husbandry: 2 XP, Rhetoric: 3 XP, Unarmed Combat: 1 XP, Intelligence: 3 XP, Writing: 2 XP, Intimidation: 1 XP
Lore Award: Midlife Crisis, Fighting Stances, The Unfairness of Family, Bitter Memories, Dealing With Demons, Acknowledging a Problem is the First Step in Solving It, Suprise Visits, Truths Revealed, A Brother's Tale, Reconciliation, Lhavit (Poor), Crow (Competent), I hear Lhavit's nice this time of year, Finding a Purpose, Saying Goodbyes, Being Pampered, Worst manners EVER, Leaving Without Regrets
Ledger: You kept track of the money and supplies you bought. + Father's Journal, + Brother's Picture, + Leather Training Gloves

Additional Note
OMGWTFBBQ. That was so good, I'm a little angry that it's over. Why must Pain leave me?? Good luck on all your further adventures, and I hope she survives and comes back! In the meantime, if you want to write up an NPC sheet for her father, I'm sure he could find some use in the city. Teaching Intelligence to the Squires and Knights, perhaps?

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Previous