Completed [Safehaven Hostel]Digging through the ashes

Imass meets Pulren Marsh

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Safehaven Hostel]Digging through the ashes

Postby Imass on December 25th, 2015, 4:44 am

Imass picked up the shortbow and ran his fingers across the curved edge. It was new and needed to be oiled badly. Holding it up, he drew the string feeling out the weapon. He played and readjusted his grip, trying to line up his sight by looking at a speck on the wall. It had seemed like an entire lifetime went by since he had handled a bow, "Tis an excellent weapon Palaren, needs to be broken in, but it will serve well in our hunt," Finally he found a sweet spot that would allow him to aim with some type of accuracy, "I haven't used one since before my imprisonment, but I should be able to hit the vile creature,"

Releasing the tension on the string, he put the weapon down and picked up the brush, "I'll need to purchase arrows and oil for this, other than that I should be fine unless you find us more work were armor and blades are required. One step at a time though. I would like to discuss our tactics," Imass eyed Palaren's trident, "Do you plan on throwing that thing at it? Tell me of this flying shark," the Knight was eager to get back on the field and talk of their plans, "Tell me everything about it," Flinging his hands up in excitement he let the brush go flying, "Whoops!"
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on December 27th, 2015, 6:36 am

Pulren enjoyed watching Imass inspect the bow and test it out. As it had only been something to show on his own part, he did try to pay attention to what the Knight said about the weapon should he ever actually try to learn how to use one. Oil? What was the oil for? It probably wasn't that important. He could as easily pay someone to teach him how to use it properly at some point. Maybe the Knight would do him the honor. The sudden excitement and flight of the brush snapped the Zeltivan back to reality and out of his internal monologue.

"Well, it's a shark. Looks like a bull shark, maybe two to three man lengths, but I wasn't close to it long enough to really verify that. Unlike a standard shark, it has three very distinct and dangerous features." His index finger came up as he did his best to brief the Knight in the manner that he could recall the Sergeants of the Guard doing. He felt like he was out of his league speaking to a Knight in such a fashion, but hey, it was his show after all. "One. It flies. It is as graceful and accurate in its movement as if it was its aquatic cousin, so be aware that it could corkscrew in on you from any angle easily. A shark is basically a giant muscle, so not only is it strong but also precise. My ribs were bruised for ten days from a simple slap." Pulren touched at his side in remembrance, though it was merely a slightly tender spot at this point.

Two fingers in the shape of a V came up next. "Two. It roars. I don't know how else to describe the sound it makes, but it reminded me of a bull when it is angry. It's weird because while it is called a bull shark, no one would ever expect it to make that sound because, well, water." He shrugged with a look of incredulity on his face. "Nevertheless, this thing makes a very distinct sound, so while it is good to have a way to track the call, the sudden explosion of noise can be startling. Dangerous when unable to see it at all. You be the judge on that one." He chuckled and paced to the far end of the room as he thought on the final problem. Probably the worst problem.

"The final problem is pretty bad on things to consider. I don't know where this beast came from, but they said it could have come from the Void. So, it probably doesn't need to breathe. The biggest problem, then, is what would normally give us some kind of advantage normally. Sea sharks have to keep moving. You can force one into the shallows and if it can't move, it slows and dies. This thing doesn't breathe. Or if it does, it doesn't in the way sharks do. It can just rest and stay in one place, lurking. This is why it caught me unaware. Besides the fact that we will be in a giant holy wheat field." He laughed at the madness of the hunt and the idea that he had thought for a moment that he could do so without help. He was really lucky that he wasn't killed outright.

Taking a seat on the bunk after digging some coin from the chest, he looked over at his large blue friend. "So, there you have it. With all of this in mind, what do you think?" He slapped down ten golden mizas for the man to use for equipment. That would surely cover arrows and oil, right? Who knew in Nyka?

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Imass on December 28th, 2015, 4:32 am

Imass sat deep in thought for nearly two whole minutes after Palaren give him a briefing on the vile beast. Stroking his beard and closing his eyes, the two brothers began to think at the same time. There was much more information that the Knight needed in order to have a solid battle plan, but it was possible to deduce a logical course of action with the information presented.

"Alright," Imass finally spoke, revealing his dull, yellow eyes again, "Firstly, we cannot take a single hit from this creature, for that will surely get us slain. We must dig man holes and trenches to take cover during it's assault. Alas, a mere hole will not be enough, we must deploy piecing implements in said holes in order to fend off it's mighty jaws,"

The knight paused and closed his eyes for only a few moments this time, "Secondly, we do not know the intelligence of this creature, so we must assume that it is smart like us. A frontal assault is not prudent for it's massive strength and agility. We must lure it towards our cover where we have an advantage. We will only be able to assault it from protection.... We need to... We need to...we need to trick it somehow,"

The knight slammed his fist on his knee, in frustration. This was already becoming way more difficult that he imagined at first, "How would a fisherman immobilize such a fish?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on December 28th, 2015, 6:20 am

Pulren had done his round of speaking and now it was time for him to be silent and also listen. Listen he did, his eyes mostly unblinking until they began to dip a bit. Perhaps it was the food or the residual warmth of the room, but he was getting sleepy. He nodded as he listened, showing respect but also finding the ideas a little puzzling. "I see a few problems with your plan. Mostly because I don't know what the laws are about the wheat fields and how they feel, but I don't know if the people who worship a fertility Goddess are going to be happy with us digging giant holes in their farm land, whatever the reason. I think it's a good idea to draw the creature out of the wheat, but I'm not sure about trenches and all that. it's sound, don't get me wrong."

He sucked at his teeth and rubbed at his own beard and listened further. "I am in agreement that we should draw it to a covered position. I just don't know about how much time we are going to have to dig a hole and put things in it and set up. Worse still, some smart guy could hit it before we do and then it is a moot point. I say we do it tomorrow, whatever we decide to do. We get up and hit the stalls for whatever supplies you need, we survey the field and its surroundings and decide then. You haven't seen the area, so while a scouting mission would be prudent, the idea of losing out to some other merc chills my bones and my purse."

Standing and stretching, Pulren set about to putting his trident and shield in the corner where they normally went and hanging his studded leather up on the tines so as not to get dried out on the floor. "I'm on board with you, but I think we should hit the bunks and go at it first thing tomorrow after first light and rations. What do you say, Ser Imass?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Imass on December 28th, 2015, 6:36 am

Imass listened to Palaren, though he was not sleepy at all. He had forgotten that the Nykans were so strict. Regardless, the Akalak intended to push his luck in the city, though he did not mention this to Palaren. Nodding, the blue man stood up and reiterated what Palaren said, "Verily, good man! We shall convene in the morning to scout the wheat fields and it's perimeter, devise a course of action, then gather supplies," Picking up the short-bow, the brush, and the gold, the knight proceeded to exit the room, "Thank you very much once again, I am sure it will be a pleasure to work with you,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Elias Caldera on February 4th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Behold, Your Just Rewards!

Imass

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Negotiating +1
  • Begging +1
  • Observation +4
  • Socialization +5
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Investigation +1
  • Planning +4
  • Weapon: Bow +1

Lores
  • Pulren Marsh: The Mercenary From Zeltiva
  • Pulren Marsh: A Kind and Generous Man
  • Nyka: A Hostile City to Foreigners
  • Nyka: The Monks Rule This City
  • Nyka: The Monks Serve the Four Celestials
  • Nyka: The Food System
  • Markus Andreas: Alive and Well!

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • None

Loot and Expenses
  • +10 GM
  • +1 Shortbow
  • +1 Brush

Pulren Marsh

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Socialization +3
  • Teaching +2
  • Persuasion +1
  • Investigation +1
  • Rhetoric +3
  • Negotiation +2
  • Planning +4
  • Charity +1

Lores
  • Nyka: The Food System
  • Skerr: Celestial of Wheat
  • Ser Imass: The Fallen Knight
  • Ser Imass: Proud and Noble
  • Riverfall: Home of The Akalaks

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • None

Loot and Expenses
  • -15 GM
  • -1 Shortbow
  • -1 Brush

Comments :
    I can't wait to read part two where our heroes fight the dreaded sky shark! I'm excited.

One thing before I go: I used Pulren's real name for the lore because I recall he reveals it later on in another thread, so I figured it would just be confusing to have two names in Imass's lore for the same guy. Let me know if you want that changed though.

Oh, and don't forget to update your ledgers.

Don't Forget...

Now that your thread is graded, be sure to edit your grade request. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message and we'll work it out together.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous