Means of Income

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Means of Income

Postby Elias Caldera on February 14th, 2016, 3:43 am

How many means of seasonal based income is a character allowed?

Can one own a business/establishment and be entitled to the profits said establishment makes while still retaining the income of their own job?

Like, say as a fisherman, I make enough coin to buy out the Rearing Stallion in Syliras and employ its current staff to continue working for me. Basically they still run it, but now i'm the landlord or w/e and i'm getting my piece every season.

Do I have to then choose between being a fishermen and being a business owner, or can I reap the rewards of both?
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Means of Income

Postby Ssezzkero on February 14th, 2016, 3:58 am

I believe you can only have one income at a time. Although, the benefits of establishing your own business (besides the sales and possible ingenuity bonus), is that you can have secondary and tertiary income (with a little extra threadwork, of course). While not the size of a regular incomes, they do supplement your main flow of money without breaking the rule of only one income.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Means of Income

Postby Elias Caldera on February 14th, 2016, 4:22 am

I do believe you're right, mam.

I've been directed to the Business Plans lore page and it basically explains what I asked.
Remember, we don't want any corporations, franchises, or absentee business owners. All businesses need to be run hands on by the PCs that start them. Those PC's need to be active and engaging, not creating a business and then ignoring it.

Which makes my example of buying out a business a particularly poor one unfortunately.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Means of Income

Postby Gossamer on February 14th, 2016, 4:55 am

This is thoroughly covered in the Business Plan Stickies. Its called Multiple Businesses.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Means of Income

Postby Syri Morphgaze Terras on February 14th, 2016, 9:40 am

I have been told that you can do commissions (which is why you can't sell MC items to NPC's) for extra income. So Syri could make, paying for the materials herself, a cold iron (x3) Izentor (x10) Gladius (45 GM) and sell it for (13x45) 585 GM to an NPC in a solo thread, provided her job threads are separate. You have to come up with a reasonable reason for your client to want and afford the item. If you do too much, inflation can happen which is partly why MC got nerfed.
Syri Morphgaze Terras
Player

Words: 2415
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2016, 8:20 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Means of Income

Postby Gillar on February 20th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Yes, you could do threads where you craft an item and sell it for profit on top of your regular income. However, you should inform your local storyteller of your intended creation if you are intending to sell it to an npc. This is especially important when dealing with any items that are magically enhanced in some way, izentor counts even with just a single mark. Due to the higher costs of magic and magic related items we want to ensure that their sale is feasible and that the possibility of abuse, intended or not, is managed.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)