Solo Crashcourse to being a doctor (Job)

The orphan's conditions are worsening, and there isn't a doctor to be found.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Crashcourse to being a doctor (Job)

Postby Lo'campo on February 24th, 2016, 6:54 pm

64th Sunberth Winter 515 A.V

When obtaining his job, he expected to be given hard task as would any job have for it's workers. He had expected there to be hard labor, his blade to nip the skin of trespassers, even the constant calling of his name. But in all the time that he had spent working for Jilene, he had never once expected that his job would require him to tend to the sick. It was horrible, a room filled with children scattered about, some laying on cots, others sitting in corners trying to hold their bobbing heads up. This winter was better than the last, yet it tool took it’s toll upon the children. It started with one child having a slight cough, and the occasional sneezing, but now there were a many of the children who sat with sniffling noses, red bags under their eyes, and even some with terrible fevers. Jilene had made a room for the sick orphans to recover in, that soon had been filled requiring her to clear what uses to be the lobby in order to fit more beds for the poor kids.

Lo’campo walked down the hall, carrying to more beds on his back, as a helper followed behind with extra blankets to keep the sick warm. It was a pandemic. He remember hearing the laughter of children and the sound of playing, a sound that now seemed ever more distant as it was replaced with constant sneezing, coughing and occasional crying of the little ones. He gave strong heave as one of the bed snagged the stairway railing, nearly causing him to topple down the stairs along with the cots. “Be careful Papa Campo, we don’t need you hurting yourself.” his little helper chimed. ”Papa Campo?” He questioned the child’s comment. “Yea, I heard some of the other orphans talking and they said that you do what you do with you’re blades because you’re the papa, and the papa has to keep their home safe.” In all his time living here in this place, he would have never thought that the children would see him as a father figure. At one point they were afraid of the blue giant, calling him a monster. Now he was their papa? And what would that make Jilene? Mama?

Quickly shaking the thought clear from his mind, he dragged the cots down into the makeshift infirmary where Jilene stood giving directions to tend to the sick. Sliding the beds from his shoulders, a slight thud, startling some of those that were in bed. He didn’t mean to scare them, at least that meant that they weren’t dead. Grave digging showed itself to be another part of his job, one that he hoped would not be required today. “How many beds does that make now?” His boss asked turning to him. ” Seventeen. Ten upstairs, seven here.” And those didn’t count the one’s that weren’t severely sick. A sigh from Jilene. He knew that this stressed her out, that she wanted to do more than just stand around and give orders all day, but due to her blindness that was some of the most help that she could give. “Lo’campo, I know that you’ve already done so much, but could you please-” “I can take care of it, don’t worry.” He cut her off, trying to put some form of hope in his voice to boost hers. “Thank you, I think some one needed more blankets.” She replied before giving more directions.

With a nod, he sent the blanket holder on his way to complete the task. The sound of a coughing fit called his name. The child lay tucked under a blanket, eyes closed, nose red and stuffy, sweating profusely. A hand lay rested over the child’s forehead. Hot. It was another fever. He summoned an orphan to retrieve a thick piece of cloth and a bucket of water. It was the most that he could do for the child, other than putting the orphan out of it’s misery, but he knew better. It didn’t take long for the cloth and bucket to arrive. Using his dagger to snip a piece of cloth, he dipped it into the cold water, squeezing the liquid back into the old bucket before placing the cloth over the child’s forehead. A sigh escaped his mouth. He wished Minerva was here. She would know what to do. If only they had a doctor, or the money for a doctor, or just plain medicine that would cure them. ”What are you saying? The voice of Oumoc echoing in his head. This was not the time for the darker personality to be interfering with his affairs. ”Are you telling me that we are going to sit and let a cold claim one of our future victims?” Lo’campo had officially deemed that Oumoc had gone off the deep end. ”Shut up” he mentally yelled to Oumoc. ”A library has books on medicine you blue oaf! Omouc insulted. The comment rendered Lo’campo speechless. He didn’t know if he should insult the Akalak back, or admit that he was right. Was Oumoc helping? What did the personality have planned?

Not having the time to deal with Oumoc and his ordeals, Lo’campo exited the room, Making his way to the somewhat of a library they had. It wasn’t really a library, just an old rickety bookshelf that had even older dusty books scattered across it. There wasn’t many books, and he didn’t really know what he was supposed to be looking for, but it also wouldn't hurt look.
Last edited by Lo'campo on February 24th, 2016, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Loxudeianis Basunreph Campo

Oumoc Basunreph Campo
Lo'campo
The Sunset Quarter monster

Words: 313620
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2014, 12:24 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Lo'campo on February 24th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Books lay scattered across the table, as he looked at each one cover by cover, wasting his time reading each title only to learn that it wasn’t the one that he was looking for. Medicine, he needed medicine. Most of these books where just stories for children to read, making sense seeing that this was an orphanage full of the little one’s, but there had to be something here just in case situations like this occurred.

He came across one book that read “Spices” across the cover, thinking that he had found what he was searching for until he opened it only to realize that it’s purpose was for cooking. Books filled the pile of those that did not meet his requirements. He was just about ready to discontinue his search when a particular hardback caught his eye. It was brown, dusty. The words nearly faded. It smelled of smoke. Had it been in a fire? The spine of the book bent and creased from repetitive readings. It was an old book, but was it what he’d been looking for? Opening the book, he saw many names of things that he did not understand. Acalai, Dalmis, words that he did not know. What kind of book was this?

He read on through the book turning it’s pages, reading new words learning their meaning and effects. “Jile” What ever that was, acted as an antidote to poison. “Tolm” eased pain. He had no clue to what these were, but if they helped then so be it. He continued to read on, different words to different remedies. Learning new things about what he assumed were medicines. He soon came across the words Belltor and Bon’mur, both having something to do with healing colds.

The book also spoke about leaves. Leaves were on plants. He knew not of any shops that sold herbs in the city, meaning that he would have to try his luck in the Seaside Market. He slid the book into a pocket in case of him forgetting the words before making his way out into the city. It wasn’t a long way to the market, the main road was quick, but if one knew the alleyways like he, then it was no more than a turn here and there before they would come out into the bustling area.

People were everywhere, some citizens, others visitors, thieves were about as always. He looked about, over the heads of those shorter than he, stall to stall, looking at the different items being sold. Fruit, bread, jewelry, things that would tempt a persons desires here in Sunberth. He on the other hand was looking for plants. He had walked a distance before finding the stall. The old woman behind it short and looked as if she were ready to turn into dust. Here stall was full of plants and vines hanging from the side, there where jars with things in them that puzzled the Akalaks mind. “How can I help you?” she asked her voice frail but sweet.

She made it hard to believe that he was in Sunberth, then again she could have a dagger hidden under her stall. Yes I’m looking for bell-tor and Bonmur please? He asked returning the politeness that she had given he. “Belltor and Bon’mur?” she corrected before reaching over and snagging two weird looking plants. “Let me guess, your kids come down with a cold?” Not necessarily his kids, but he gave a nod of the head in agreement. “How many do you need dear? I sell them 5cm for 10 Bon’ mur leaves fresh or dried, and 1gm per oz tincture belltor flowers and roots” He did a quick calculation in his head. There were seventeen already sick, plus those showing symptoms, so for 1 sliver rimmed miza that would get him 20 leaves? Was that enough?” He looked at the tincture bottles. They looked small compared to his hands. Gosh this was frustrating.

“Take your time dear.” The old woman chimed. Was it that obvious? If 5 copper rimmed miza got him 10 leaves, then...1 silver rimmed miza would get him 20 leaves. One plus one equaled 2, so 2 silver rimmed miza got him...” Can I have...40 Bon’ mur leaves for two silver rimmed miza? And 5, no, 8oz tincture bottles for eight gold rimmed miza?” The woman gave a smile. “Good job, yes you can.” She quickly snipped the leaves and filled bottles before taking payment and sending him on his way.

This was good. Now all he had to do was get back to the orphanage and everyone would be cured. “Where have you been?” Jilene shot at him like an crossbow bolt. “We have been looking for you. One of the children started coughing again. It got bad. We covered them up but no one moved them.” He had gotten the point. He was already too late, another had died. This would have been the third one to be claimed by the cold season. ”It all will be fine now, I went out and bought medicine.” He tried comforting her by holding up the sack full of leaves and roots, not that she could see them, but the expression on her face lifted with joy that the suffering may be over soon. “Come on, I will help.” reaching her hand out for him to lead. Reading from the book once more,

”Bon’mur leaves and roots are often chewed when suffering from colds and fevers."

That made things pretty simple, but what was he to do with the bottles? He would deal with that when the time came, but right now he needed to pass out those leaves

Oumoc Basunreph Campo
Lo'campo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Lo'campo on February 24th, 2016, 10:59 pm

He walked into the kitchen, slowly, carefully taking all of the contents of his bag and setting them upon the table. "What is that stuff papa Campo?" an orphan asked, gathering around the medicine, the last beam of light in a land of darkness. It's medicine to help the sick." He hoped the answer would satisfy the orphan. Any other question that they had about the medicine he would not be able to answer. It didn't mean that he wouldn't try, but he wished that he had some form of knowledge of what to do and look for. A crack of his knuckles sat him down in the chair to which he consulted the book before studying the plants. Bon'mur he learned it was called, was a hairy oval shaped leaf, that came along with roots. The book said that it needed to be chewed on to cure the cold and fever.

Counting them out one by one as if they were a hand full of miza. "40" it deemed more than enough. He would use some for those that needed it, and what ever was left over he would keep stored for later use. "What do I do?" Jilene asked looking to him for direction. He kept quiet for a short time. Thinking over the decision he needed to make. He needed to know how was he to go about distributing the leaves and medicine. He didn't want to make anyone sicker than they already were. Petch. He would have to deal with any consequences later as he took hold of the leaves. "Bring me all the severely sick. I need those with fevers first, then anyone else afterwards." The command sounding firm, direct, though it came out with a taste of uncertainty.

Whilst they began to collect those that could move, he began to visit those that lay in bed, too sick to get up. Kneeling down to their bedside, he pulled a leaf out from the pile. A light tap at first, then a heavy shake to stir them for their attention. "Hey, how you doing? I know that you don't feel well, but I need you to eat this, it will help." One hand held the leaf, the other on the child's jaw, helping them open their mouth and chew before they swallowed the herb. By the look on their face he could only imagine how it felt having the hair leaf travel down into their belly. Administering the leaves to the other bed bound children deemed easier than the first. At least it wasn't too bad.

Entering the kitchen, he had noticed the line of children had quickly moved, the kitchen filled with orphans sitting, chewing, making faces as the leaf made its way through them. He only hoped that this would make things better. Checking to see the amount of leaves that they had left, a little under half. He placed them back into the package that they came for later use. Now came the bigger problem. He sat looking at the bottles with squishy black things atop of them. He had no clue as to what they were, what they did, or how he was to use them. Why didn't he ask those questions before he left the woman at the market. He gave the squishy part a squeeze to which the liquid inside shot up the tube. Another squeeze shot it out. it was clear how to work the tool, but for what use still puzzled him.

He opened the bottle giving it a whiff. A smell that stung his nostrils. Not for the nose, he got that much out of it. He dare not put it into his eyes, and doubted that it would go into the ears. His best bet was to put it into their mouths and see what happened then."Jilene, do you know how to use these?" He thought he should ask before just going on thought and speculation. She approached the bottles, giving a feel of the vials. "I think I know what these are. You squeeze this to get them into the thingy, and then you put it under their tongue, then you squeeze again to empty it. My mother used to use these when I became ill." Taking the bottles and doing as he was shown, he began placing the tubes under the tongues of the children, once more making his rounds of the building and the orphans, counting each one so they would not be skipped. Finally taking a seat, he had time to relax. He caught a glimpse of Jilene who had since then calmed down a bit. He didn't know what the outcome would be of their efforts, but he knew that he wouldn't sit and do nothing. It was his job to guard their lives, a duty that he swore to uphold.

Oumoc Basunreph Campo
Lo'campo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Konrad Venger on March 29th, 2016, 3:04 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Lo'campo

XP:
Observation - 3
Medicine - 3
Socialization - 2
Herbalism - 2

Lore:
Orphanage Guard: Tending the Sick, not just Protecting Them
"Papa Campo"?
Jilene: Burdened with the Weight of So Many Lives
Medicine 101: Stay Warm and Dry!
Recognizing a Fever
Belltor and Bonmur: Good Herbs for Colds
Knowing Who needs Treatment First, and Why

Click Me! :
I don't think I've seen an Akalak with sich utterly opposed personalities. Think is, you DO make it work. Lo has all the steady, sensible intelligence to research for cures and the compassion to try, in roughly the same amount that Ouroc has cruel cunning and sadistic meglomania. It works great!

"... the last beam of light in a land of darkness." My favorite line!

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4