New Weapon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

New Weapon

Postby Josh Caudle on December 11th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Sha'lak=2 ft. blade, 1 1/2 ft hilt. This weapon is more exoctic type weapon. If u need a mental pic, imgine the *throat burns* elves sword off the picture below. Its a human version. This weapon have a slight curve to the blade and i made for slashing, but in the right hands could be used to stab. The length of the hilt or haft allow for a full range of motion allowing u to spin the blade and the hilt. As for striking u and cut with the blade and get quick strikes with the back of the blade and the end of the hilt. This is primary a two-handed weapon but more advance sword users can use one hand. But all sword users get the most out of the weapon by useing two hand and studing the form that was made for this weapon call Tai'lak which teaches the user the many ways to block and strike with this weapon.

-requirments= 25 sword, tai'lak lore
Attachments
eve.jpg
This is the closest sword i could find that kinda matched my idea.
eve.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Last edited by Josh Caudle on December 11th, 2009, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Caudle
Player

Words: 3227
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2009, 8:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Re: New Weapon

Postby Josh Caudle on December 11th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Comment at will!
Josh Caudle
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on December 11th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Very cool.. I like it. :) Can you add two things though? How much does one cost and where did they come from? Ie.. which culture?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on December 11th, 2009, 11:42 pm

That thing looks pretty awesome!

My only concern, like I mentioned in chat, is that it looks more slashing than stabbing oriented.

The curve to the blade and the length leads me to believe this. Heavier, curved weapons aren't typically used for stabbing. Claymores and scimitars were more for hewing pieces out of people. Well, in theory, haha. I like to read about weapons history and use, but I can't say I've ever stabbed anyone.

So while it's possible to stab anyone with something sharp, I wouldn't mention it as a typical use of the weapon.

*EDIT*

Oh seems you changed it already, but I'll leave this up in case someone who knows better wants to disagree.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nero Czan on December 12th, 2009, 12:13 am

Sounds about right to me. From what I know about medieval/feudal weaponry and tactics, This sounds like a weapon used most similar to a real-world katana. A heavy weight on the end, and in this case with a long hilt, allows for a lot of momentum built into a swing, and gives it the cleaving properties Colombina mentioned. However, stabbing would be Very impractical due to the hilt being almost as long as the blade, and the weight ratio between the two.

I don't have a weight per-say (Looks somewhat on the hefty side), but it sounds like a good weapon ^^ Just I'd focus a bit more on a powerful slash then quick spinning strokes.

Just my two cents :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan
"Lead by Example, Protect by Force."

Words: 121734
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Abashai on December 12th, 2009, 3:10 am

I Like it! I also agree with the use as a primary slasher, like a falchion or dao. The long handle would allow for quick, two-handed handling. Indeed, it's like what I have learned with the katana, the hand near the hilt acts as a fulcrum, the blade and hilt as a lever, and the other hand moving it (hard to explain without visuals!), but it allows for quick movement.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Josh Caudle on December 12th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Okay guys thanks for all the commments and tips, ill give a full write-up along for a write up of Tai'lak fighting style/lore ASAP
Josh Caudle
Player

Character sheet