Solo How NOT To Burn Water

Caesi learns about cooking from Piper Starguide.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

How NOT To Burn Water

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 7:54 am

Summer 43 516av
How NOT to Burn Water

Caesi had gathered dandelions from the Spring season with Naiya. Though she had yet to use them, nor knew how to make anything from them. She had tied them up to hang and dry however, to hopefully use at a later date. However, they had been forgotten and had dried a bit too much. She hoped that they were salvageable and could be used for something, but since she had no idea about cooking she had to seek out help. The young huntress searched the camp site of the Starguides, looking for Piper. She was the best cook in the Pavilion and could turn nothing into something it seemed like. All her soups and dishes were so delicious, Caesi was a little envious at the ability. The Ankal praised her all the time on her meals. When the women were alone together, Piper always mentioned that a way to a man's heart, was through his stomach. All the women laughed, except for Caesi. She did not understand why anyone would care to get to a man's heart. She had no interest in it.

However, a side of her she would not admit even to herself, wanted to know. She reasoned with herself that it was “just in case” she found someone she actually wanted to cook for one day. She did not want to run the man off by bad cooking. All she could manage currently was somehow catching water on fire. How she managed that, was unknown to her, but it had happened before and since then she never attempted to cook anything again.

Caesi found Piper, feeding the hunting dogs scraps from a previous meal. She walked over to her, gesturing a formal greeting to the woman. “What is it that you need Caesi?” Piper asked, as she threw some fatty meat to the dogs, who fought over who was going to get the biggest bite. “I was wondering if these were still usable?” Caesi asked, holding up the dried dandelions to show Piper. Piper leaned in and brushed the flower weeds with her finger, she took a few ticks observing them, then she nodded her head. “Actually I think they are just right to make some Dandelion Tea.” Piper said with a broad smile, reaching in to take them from Caesi. The young huntress pulled her hand back, “I was hoping you could..show me..teach me a little..about cooking..maybe?” Caesi mumbled this a little under her breath, blushing slightly.

Piper looked upon Caesi with wide eyes of curiosity, “Does this man you have a man you like then?” Piper's tone was that of shock and amusement. She did make it clear to all in her pavilion that she had no interest in marrying anyone. That her goals in life did not even involve love, only power and knowledge. So the shocked tone and facial expression made sense, however Caesi was quick to make things clear for Piper. “No of course not. I have no need for such a thing. I just have no idea what I am doing and it makes me irritated. I was hoping you could show me a thing or two. You know, in case I am alone on a hunting trip and need to cook something up real quick.” Caesi said hastily, her words flowing out in a rush.

Piper giggled, the type of giggle that many would say was “girly” and it bothered Caesi. She was not sure that the woman believed her or not. “I will be glad to show you how to cook.” Piper said, with a knowing smile. Caesi wanted to wipe that smile from her face, but she was happy that the woman agreed so she bowed her head in gratitude, signing 'many thanks' to the woman. Piper gestured to Caesi 'follow' and she obliged, following the woman to the area they stored their cooking utensils.

Piper grabbed an old looking tea kettle from a crate, the kettle packed neatly inside and would return there when they were finished with it, that way it was easier when they left. Turning to Caesi she asked, “Do you have anything to sweeten the tea?” Caesi nodded her head and Piper spoke once more, “Bring it to the camp fire and we will get started when you arrive.” Piper walked off with her belongings and Caesi went to her tent to retrieve the honey and one of the cheese cloths, just in case it was needed.

Last edited by Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit Goes to Prophet for the beautiful Signature!
Caesi Starguide
Player

Words: 191870
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How NOT To Burn Water

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 8:43 am

Piper was standing near the fire pit, just as she said she was, already heating water in the kettle over the fire. Caesi brought the cheese cloth and honey, handing them to Piper who sat them down on a small wooden table near the fire. Then she turned to Caesi, smiling softly, “The first thing you need to do when making Dandelion Tea is boil you some water. Try not catching on fire, would be the second thing for you to do.” Piper chuckled as Caesi glared at her, then shrugged it off. “That is why I need your help.. So I do not catch water on fire..” Caesi muttered, glancing over at the kettle. “You can take an old piece of clothing or cloth, lift the lid of the kettle and look inside. When the water is bubbling, it is time to remove it.” Piper handed her an old folded shirt that had seen better days, then gestured to the kettle, telling her in Grassland Sign to 'check the water.'

Caesi sighed but she did as she was instructed to do. Rolling the old shirt up so she would not burn her hand, Caesi used it to lift the lid to check inside. Sure enough, there was bubbles rolling inside, “There is bubbles.” Caesi looked over her shoulder, with the lid still raised. Piper gestured for her to 'take it off the fire.' Caesi turned her head back to the kettle, removing it from it's hanging position over the fire pit and sat it down on the wooden table.

“Take your dagger and chop the roots of the dandelion up into fine little pieces.” Piper told her, gesturing to the dagger at her belt. Caesi carefully and slowly pulled out the dagger, then took a root and looked over at Piper, “Is there a certain way about doing this..or..” Caesi trailed off the rest of the question, as Piper immediately answered her, “No you just chop the root up with your knife, in small pieces and try not to cut your finger.” Piper shrugged, gesturing 'easy' to Caesi. The small girl growled slightly but she brought one of the roots towards her, in a perfect line and stared at it for a few ticks.

Planning out in her mind how she was going to go about cutting the flowering weed root. Once she had it in her mind how she was going to cut it, she brought her dagger down. Using just the tip of her dagger, she carefully and slowly cut a piece of the root off and looked up at Piper. The woman gave a nod, reassuring her that she was indeed doing it correctly. Caesi had just over thought the process, making it a little harder than it should have been.

Looking back she brought her knife back to the root, placing it gently on the root, she gave it a little more pressure and cut off another small piece. Caesi continued this method until the first root was completely chopped, leaving fifteen small pieces of Dandelion Root for her to use. “Do I need to cut up more?” Caesi asked Piper, who nodded and signed, 'all roots' to her and Caesi went back to work.

This time however, she lined up all the roots into a organized line. Making sure they were all going in the right direction and were around the same length. Then she placed her dagger on the roots, instead of just the tip, she used the length of the dagger pressing down on all roots, chopping a small piece off each one. She moved the blade up to the next section, using the length of her blade once more and chopping another small piece off. Caesi continued this method until she was left with plenty of dandelion roots to make a whole kettle of tea.

“Good job, you did well!” Piper said with a smile. It had taken her at least five chimes to just cut the roots. She had seen how Piper was quick with chopping things, doing it with ease. Caesi however had to take her time, going slow and easy, so she did not end up cutting herself. “Now put the roots inside the kettle where the hot water is.” Piper instructed Caesi, who did as she asked and gathered the roots up a handful at a time, dropping them into the water. Once all the roots had been deposited into the kettle, Piper sat down and gestured 'sit' to Caesi. Caesi sat down too frowning and Piper answered her frown, “Now we wait.” She said simply and began reading from a book she brought with her.

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How NOT To Burn Water

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 9:04 am

The waiting part did not bother Caesi. She was used to being patient and waiting, as it was part of hunting. So while Piper read her book, Caesi sat there with her eyes closed, meditating and clearing her mind. Since she had started learning about Reimancy and Webbing, she knew how important keeping your mind, soul, and body healthy and relaxed really was. Dealing with magic was taxing on all three and meditation helped the mind and soul, cooking healthier food helped the body.

Caesi inhaled and exhaled in a steady rhythm, clearing her mind of all doubts and worries. Letting all anxiety and stress fall away, she tuned out the world around her. Muscles in her body began to relax, as she inhaled deeply and exhaled all the air from her lungs. Noise was around her but it did not bother, instead it added to the steady and rhythmic beat of her breathing, turning into a meditative music for her ears only.

Caesi was in that position for a half bell before Piper touched her shoulder, “You okay?” She asked with a frown and Caesi gave her a soft smile, “Yeah, just relaxing.” Caesi replied, brushing off her worry with a shrug of her shoulder. Standing up she went to Pipers side and looked down at the kettle. “Go ahead and open it up.” Piper instructed her, so she took the old shirt, and lifted the lid off and looked inside.

The water was no longer clear as it had been. Instead it had taken on the color of the roots, turning a light brown in color. Some of the roots had broken a part completely and drifted around inside of the tea. Caesi's lip curled in disgust at it, as her mind thought about drinking the tea and getting one of the roots inside her mouth.

“Oh do not look so disgusted. We will strain the roots from the tea.” Piper said, tsking at Caesi's face. Caesi looked over a bit shocked, “So the roots do not have to stay inside?” Piper just laughed, shaking her head, “Of course not!” Piper said this as if she could not believe what Caesi was saying.

I said I didn't know nothing about cooking.. The young huntress thought to herself, as she looked over at Piper, “So how do we strain them?” Caesi asked, waiting for her to divulge the information.

Piper handed her the cheese cloth, “You will tie this around this large jar of mine.” Piper paused for a moment as she placed the jar in front of Caesi, “Then you will pour the kettle's contents over the cheese cloth and it will strain the roots from the liquid.”

Caesi nodded her head, giving the woman a small smile as she tied the cheese cloth around the jar. All of a sudden her hand was smacked, “Not too tight.” Piper said, untying the cheese cloth and gesturing 'do it again' to Caesi. Caesi frowned and rubbed her hand but she did not say anything. Instead she brought the cheese cloth back to the jar, placed it on the top of the jar, then tied it off keeping the cloth slack and loose. Then she put the lid down on the kettle, grabbed that old shirt, and started to pour the contents over the cloth. “Pour slowly..” Piper said softly.

Caesi poured slowly, making sure she did not over flow the contents on the table. The cloth did as piper said it would, the roots stayed on top and the liquid went inside of the jar. After a chime the jar was now filled with that brown looking liquid. Best of all, the roots laid on top instead of inside of the jar. “Untie the cloth, hold it over the jar and squeeze any liquid out. You can throw the roots away and wash your cloth to use again.” Piper said with a smile, gesturing for her to do the task.

Caesi untied the cloth, once it was untied she brought her hand underneath the dripping cloth. Squeezing tightly more juice rain through the crevices of her fingers into the jar. She decided to squeeze a few more times, ridding the roots of any liquid. Then she tossed what was left of the roots into the fire pit, placing her cloth safely on the table to wash and use for later.

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How NOT To Burn Water

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 9:22 am

“Now you need to sweeten the tea so it does not have a bitter taste to it.” Piper said, pointing to her jar of honey. It was not a lot, only two ounces, but she figured it would be sufficient for the amount of cooking she did on her own.

Grabbing the small jar of honey, she picked up a wooden spoon. Dipping out a spoonful of honey she dropped it inside the kettle. She did this two more times, putting a total of three spoonfuls of honey inside the kettle. As she went to lay the spoon down, Piper grabbed her hand “Now you need to stir the honey and tea together.” Piper said her face contorting from holding back a laugh. “Oh right.. Of course.” Caesi said blushing slightly as she put the spoon inside of the kettle. She twisted and turn the spoon, rotating it around in circles until the honey was completely dissolved.

“Is it done?” Caesi asked in an hopeful tone, ready to be done with cooking for one day. Piper nodded, “It is done. Have a cup with me.” Piper said motioning her over to sit by her. Caesi sighed but did as she was asked, sitting beside the woman. Piper poured two small cups of tea, handing one of them to Caesi. “We should taste your first pot of tea, yes?” Piper said, bringing the cup to her lips and blowing gently to cool off the still warm liquid inside. Caesi shrugged, she did not care to taste it, but she may be a little curious.

Bringing the cup to her lips she blew at it as Piper was doing. Once she was satisfied she tilted the cup back and took a very small sip, just in case it was horrible. The Dandelion Root Tea was still a little bitter, not sweet enough to Caesi's liking and it had a unique and bold flavor to it. She did not particularly care for it she decided. “Well it doesn't taste so good.” Caesi said defeated. Piper patted her back, “It isn't as bad as you think. You did well for your first time. Besides Dandelion Tea is really good for the body.” Piper said, adding in a pro so she would not feel utterly miserable at it. “Also you did not set the water on fire.” The woman said laughing, patting Caesi's back.

Caesi laughed with her, as it was true. She did not catch the water on fire this time, so that was an improvement for sure. However, the woman said it was good for the body and that made Caesi curious. “How is it good for your body?” Caesi asked a slight frown upon her face.

“Well there is many benefits to it. I do not know them all but I will tell you what I do know.” Piper paused and wiggled to get herself more comfortable, then she proceeded on with her conversation. “One of the benefits it gives your body nutrients and vitamins. It also helps you digest food easier.” She paused once more taking another sip of her tea and Caesi did the same, she needed to keep her body healthy. “The next thing it helps is when you are having your womanly time it relieves bloating and cramps.” Piper said peering over at Caesi to make sure she was not making her uncomfortable.

The woman surprised her with her knowledge on herbs and their uses. She was more than happy to know this knowledge. The womanly time was dreadful and to have something to soothe and make her feel better, well that was a plus to her. “I did not realize a plant I thought as a weed had so many benefits to it.” Caesi said smiling, “Thank you for teaching me all this Piper. I hope we can do this again sometime?” Caesi looked up into the women's eyes with her's, pleading that she would say yes. Piper nodded, “Of course. But only if you finish your tea and I can have the rest to serve tonight.” Piper said smiling down at the smaller Drykas girl. Caesi nodded her head rapidly, “Of course you can have it!” Caesi said, gulping down the rest of her tea. “Thank you Piper for everything!” Caesi said, standing up and gesturing a respectful farewell to the woman. Piper shooed her away with her hands, laughing at her as she turned and left with a greater understanding of cooking. It would not only benefit her present but maybe one day it would also help her in the future. Caesi blushed at that thought, as she strolled through the campsite to tend to other things in the pavilion.

WC3046

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How NOT To Burn Water

Postby Rufio on July 21st, 2016, 8:30 pm

g r a d e s

xp

Rhetoric +2
Socialization +2
Planning +1
Observaion +2
Cooking +2
Herbalism +1
Weapon: Dagger +1
Meditation +1

lores

Drykas Saying: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach
Piper: abrasive
Meditation: breathing techniques
Cooking: dandelion root tea
Herbalism: dandelion root tea aids digestion
Herbalism: dandelion root tea relieves menstrual symptoms

penalties

- 2oz Dandelion

notes

You paint a picture of Piper so well I almost felt as Caesi did about her, ha! Enjoyable wee thread. If you feel I missed anything or have any concerns shoot away via PM, and don't forget to edit your request post. Rx

Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)