Same Old Story (Kavala)

Things get real hairy in this one brah.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 14th, 2016, 4:39 pm

You're either worth my time...

Fifth of Summer, 516 AV

Metanta ji unem dasana al hent-putem. I’m saying that right?” Theo slurred.

The akalak snickered. ”You sound nothing like an akalak, but yes human.” He said as he sipped from his flagon of mead.

”Well, Metanta ji unem dasana al hent-putem, I can’t help it you sound so girlish.” The group erupted with laughter, and the table trembled as men were beating the floor with their feet. Theo took a sip of his mug as he laughed at himself. An akalak laid a congratulatory smack on him so hard in the back he spit his swig back into the cup. He started coughing and gasping as the beer slid down his windpipe, starting up another wave of laughing altogether.

The akalaks had been giving Theo the gratifying experience of learning Tukant insults. The particular one in discussion was, "Jump off a cliff you shytebag", a phrase of Theo’s request. They had been making jokes and insults at The Blue Bull all night, where some arrogant akalaks had taken a liking to Theo’s brash humor. Their collective slurs was what made the words hysterical to him, they sounded like jabbering babies.

Popcampio could hardly see the space in front of him he was so drowned in beer. Down the table he had found new compatriots in akalaks and humans, men and women alike. How he had found himself at the head seat or why he found himself here at all were questions far gone. Theo could hardly recognize the faces let alone remember their details or stories, names were completely out of the question. But it was good fun all the same, that was until the trouble started.

They sat overlooking the dance floor. It was well into the night and so it was hard to get a look into the crowd even with the candle light. An akalak to Theo’s right stood up and reached off the ledge, attempting to grab a woman’s shoulder. However, all his diligence for dexterity mattered not as he fell off the ledge and landed flat on another akalak. The akalak, who was obviously a bit more sober, tossed Theo’s friend off himself and launched upwards with a red rage in his eyes. It didn’t take long for his compatriot to shoot back with an anger of his own, shouting at him in Tukant. The members of the long table soon joined in and erupted out of their seats to begin shouting down insults to the red-eyed akalak’s company in Tukant.

Theo remained there, smiling at the confrontation and sipping his drink. That was until a mug came whizzing past his head and slammed against the wall behind him. By now some had poured forward off the balcony and into an ever increasing brawl on the dance floor. But that was all out of Theo’s mind: He had just had his good time ruined.

”Gods damnit.” Theo dribbled. He held the table as he wobbled up to his feet and took a huge gulp to finish the last bit of his drink. He winded up and threw the mug aimless into the growing crowd on the dance floor.

...Or you're not.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on July 16th, 2016, 2:15 am

While most people would have suspected her of it, Kavala would have been the first to admit she wasn't a saint nor a recluse. Like any other woman, she sometimes took time for herself away from her life and took a night out at either Coils or the Blue Bull and danced. There were always willing Akalak at the Bull or if she was looking for more exotic partners, Coils served the needs nicely.

A few drinks, a bit of dancing, and Kavala let go of her problems for a while and found herself unwinding nicely. She hadn't dated for years and it had been a long time since she'd taken a man home, but it still felt nice dancing with strangers and enjoying time away from the facility.

Here she was just a face in the crowd, holding no responsibilities and generally facing no danger. Riverfall was a safe city for women. And while any of the single men here would take her home if she asked, none of them would force such attentions on her. It was nice to flirt, be held close, and then leave as the night grew long into the morning hours. The deep burgundy Akalak she danced with was a particularly skilled partner and she'd just learned his name was Stylas. He was a Kuvay'Nas and interestingly enough was one of the ones who had received one of her first generations of Denusk horses to train with. She'd been slightly amused when he'd offered to dance with her and called her a little filly. He'd bought her a round and she'd bought him a round and so they were both a few glasses into the night. Kavala was a wine drinker and it seemed Stylas liked ales.

So they were enjoying another spin around the dance floor when the brawl broke out. Kavala had no idea what caused it, though one moment the crowd was settled and enjoying the band, and the next it was rowdy with debris flying through the air. Normally agile and alert, Kavala had let her guard down with Stylas and wasn't paying attention when a clay mug slammed into the side of her face. Stunned, the Healer went down, saved only from being trampled on the dance floor itself because of her partner's concern.

Stylas yanked her up even as she fell and pulled her into his arms and turned, shielding her from any more projectiles even as he scanned the crowd and located the human standing in smug annoyance from where he flung the mug.

"Human Shyke..." The big red Akalak said, even as Kavala shook her head and got her feet back under her. She let go of her partner to raise a hand to her head and grimace. "What in the Chavena hit me?" She said, hissing in pain even as she soothed her own wound with the marks hidden beneath her knee-high boots glowing to life. She turned to look where Stylas was looking and spotted the human.

"He throw it?" She yelled above the ruckus, even as more debris came flying by and more Akalaks joined in the brawl. By now the band had stopped and the bartenders behind the counter had thrown open the main door and bouncers were trying to toss the riff raff out before the place got destroyed.

The Blue Bull got destroyed once a good fortnight.

Kavala pushed away from Stylas and started towards the human even as another Akalak was punched and reeled back into her. She was shoved sideways and staggered a moment before she recovered, went on the defensive, and punched out at the drunk Akalak who was shoved into her before he could flatten her a second time.

She threw a dirty look at the human before she vanished into the crowd a moment, obscured by bodies. Tossed back out once, then shoved back in, the Konti lost track of Stylas and then the human who was the target of her ire. The second time she was gently tossed out of the fray by an over protective Akalak she didn't know, the Konti growled and dove back in, throwing a punch to one man's stomach and a knee to another man's groin just to make a whole in the wall of flesh to let her attempt to cross the room towards the human.

She got about half way before she was blocked again and someone decidedly not Akalak grabbed her ass. Kavala whirled, ducked a sloppy drunk punch, and kicked a set of legs out of an over eager trader. Her blood was pumping and she was feeling the edge of the fight settle her stress as nicely as the dancing had done. For that, the healer was grateful. It had been a rough day of clinic work and she'd just needed something different. It didn't matter that her gnosis was kicking hard, registering all the injuries occuring around her and even some of her own bruises. A healer's compulsion wasn't an easy thing to deal with, but battle did mute it a bit until the fists stopped flying.

Luckily there were no blades... only the idiot human who didn't understand a good bar brawl involved thrown fists, not thrown crockery.

Kavala was three quarters across the room when she took a kidney punch and doubled over in pain. She hadn't seen it coming because she was too busy searching the crowd for the drunken human's face. Stupid mistake, stupid stupid... she told herself as she came up swinging and connected to the wrong person. Punching a stranger in the side of the head did little to stun him as he gave her a grin and blew her a kiss before he threw a counter punch at a man to her right.

Kavala cursed the Akalaks. It was hard for a girl to get fair treatment in a brawl with them around.

She danced sideways, avoided another swing by a half transformed Dhani, and then ducked under the swing of another human. She spotted the one that had punched her kidney and punched him with a upper cut to his throat when he was throwing a fist out to connect to someone else's lower back. She was by him in an instant while he was still choking and found herself face to face with the mug chucker.

"Idiot. You hit me up side the face with your mug."
She snarled then doubled her fist and with a right hook attempted to sink her fist halfway into his gut with the hopes of turning his stomach inside out in revenge.

Revenge was always good in a brawl.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 16th, 2016, 3:53 am

The mug went twirling in the air, it seemed to hang in time as it spun through the void in the room, sailing well past his targets and into the crowd beyond where it met the face of a pretty little damsel. Theo covered his mouth as he laughed and she struck the floor. Stunned and too drunk to truly know what was going on, Theo stared a bit too long and was identified with the point of a finger. To his surprise the girl took matters into her own hands and began marching up the way through the crowd.

Theo took his old seat and tried to get back to his own business. I’m just sitting here. What mug? I’ve been sitting here this whole time lady. He rehearsed in his head. Desperate for a drink he reached out and grabbed another cup from the table and took a swig. How could I throw a mug when I still have one? The logic was absolutely flawless.

But before Theo could white-wash the memory he found himself being stood up by the red akalak who had wagged his finger at Theo previously.

”Human!” The akalak shook Theo while he hovered off the ground. ”You realize how hard I’ve been working that konti all night? And you hit her with your cup you drunk!”

”I have no idea what you’re talking about, buddy.” Theo said, almost convinced of it himself.

The akalak was reluctant for a moment, and then the rage slid back over him. ”Liar!” He bellowed as he thrashed Theo to the wall.

Theo’s face frowned and he took a sip of the mug within his hand. ”Oh, I think you’re looking for that guy.” Theo pointed with his free hand over the man’s shoulder. When the akalak turned his head his temple met the corner of Theo’s flagon. The red man stumbled into the table, and with the help of his drunk strength Theo tossed him over the bannister down into the dance floor. ”He’s down there!”

Theo grabbed a new unclaimed drink and was about to take his seat when he saw her. Somehow she had managed to get her little self through the crowd, and she was kicking ass doing it. She danced under two punches and twirled herself around so she could punch another man in the throat, who dropped to the floor gasping for air. Theo laughed hysterically as the man clutched his neck and gasped for air with his clogged windpipe. She’s got spunk.

He took another sip of his ale and when the cup lowered she stood before him. She had gills, Theo could see. A konti, how rare. "Idiot. You hit me up side the face with your mug."

Theo couldn’t get a clean look at her before a punch met his stomach and he was sent reeling back into his seat. ”Oh, baby. That’s a fierce hook you got there.” He said said as he clutched his gut. ”If you ask me, I did you a favor, that guy just wanted to get in your pants. Just ask him.” Theo pointed at the balcony. ”Pretty girl like you doesn’t need a man like that. Look at him: Drunk, unconscious on the floor. Typical red skin, they can’t hold their weight in boos. Without that cup you’d still be down there wasting time” He said half-sarcastic, chuckling as he took a sip of another new drink.

If there was one thing they had in common now, it was their lack of friends. A hunting party had emerged from the people they had collectively wronged, and all they were lacking was pitchforks. ”Heads up!” Theo yelled as he chucked his new mug over her shoulder and into the entourage of angry fighters seeking the both of them.

...Or you're not.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on July 16th, 2016, 4:32 am

Kavala sneered at the man. It was obvious he was drunk, half gone by the way he weaved on his feet. She glanced down at the Akalak at their feet and judged he was fine by the sing-song pull of her gnosis compulsion. Cold-cocked by a mug wielding brawler was a turn off to the Konti, and it cooled her ardor for the man she'd been dancing with. He was nice enough, but if Stylas couldn't hold his own against a drunk idiot brandishing a sturdy mug then there was something wrong with him.

When Theo drunkenly explained that Stylas just wanted in her pants, the Konti threw her head back and laughed. "Maybe that's exactly what I wanted... him in my pants. At least he's built and an excellent dancer." The look she gave Theo, an almost up and down, screamed that she found him lacking in that aspect. "He's evidently a piss poor brawler, but there's worse things in life. Pity he's down." Kavala said, taking the time to kneel next to the Akalak and lay her hand on his forehead as if she were checking to make sure the bone wasn't broken during its unfortunate contact with the drink in Theo's hand. She glanced around keeping vigilant for more flying tableware while she took a knee next to her dance partner. She brushed Stylas' hair back from his forehead and left her hand in place, knitting the bruise and taking care of any potential swelling the Akalak might have from being so suddenly knocked out while she was down.

The big Akalak would wake any moment, but Kavala did not stay by his side to make sure he made it to his feet. The other men in the tavern wouldn't hurt him as long as he stayed down, and he was out of the way of most of the foot traffic and the main brawl.

The human she just shook her head at as she rose. "Have more care, drunk. Next time it might be a child you hit with your thrown crockery." Kavala dodged out of the way of another shoved Akalak at that moment and shouted something rude to him in Tukant before she turned and gave the human one more chilly look.

"You should take a look in the mirror, human, before you cast such judgement on others and their drinking. You're a piss poor example of your race yourself being all full up with liquor like you are." She said, sidestepping a tossed bar stool that came flying out of the corner. The Konti had just about had enough of the Blue Bull and its amped up men.

Turning she headed towards the door. On the way, she hopped lightly over a tossed body and then turned to block a blindly swung punch with an elbow. That man she took time to lash a leg out at, kicking him in the hip and bringing him down. Oddly the door kept seeming further and further away.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 16th, 2016, 5:53 am

Even as they were being ganged up on the allegiance betrayed itself as the men boiled into infighting, and after a strike from Theo’s mug and Kavala’s chair their numbers were all but obliterated.

He sat there as he entertained her rant. Theo was never heavy hearted, but she incidentally struck a chord with her blameless demeanor. His drunk was slowly giving way to an adrenaline rush as her words poured forth. It wasn’t the fight that got him flustered, it was this girl’s self righteous attitude. Who did she think she was? Theo knew she needed to be taken down a peg. Even as she walked away a warpath followed her, her contradiction was made manifest.

Theo started his way out after her as he stepped over the mangled akalaks and humans clinging and dangling around the bar. More were on the floor or attached to the surface than actually in the fight now. Still, he met challenges along the way, most he ignored on his b line towards the front, but there was one who blocked his path with a particular adamence, something about his friend or another, Theo did him the favor of offering him the revelation of a quick punch to the face followed by a smashing of his last mug over his head. ”Do I look like I have time for your Bull shyke? Get it, Bull shyke?” Theo laughed.

When Theo managed to catch sight of the konti she was already halfway down the street and he had to run to catch up to her. When he caught up he blocked her path with his body. Catching his breath quickly he told her to hold it in between his light gasps.

”You think you can talk to someone like that? I don’t know what you got against humans, or what your deal is, but you’re just not cutting out right now.” He explained to her, his words slur-less from his newfound adrenaline. ”Let me tell you a few things: First off, I was drinking beer and I was hardly drunk, maybe you’d a been a bit better off with a drink or two more, your edge wouldn’t be so sharp; second, what makes you think a child would be in a bar this late? You’re literally a whirlwind of punches, and that’s not a bad thing, but you’re the pot calling the kettle black; finally, I’m sorry, that mug wasn’t intended for you and your boy toy back there seemed like a suiting figure for a girl like you, but you can find your fun elsewhere. ‘Guy had that mug coming. He was about to walk off before he realized he had some choice last words for her. “No one fucks me, okay? I do the fuckin’.”

Theo sighed in relief as he walked away. He was thankful to be away from the fight, best that his face wasn’t associated with the destruction, and he was reinvigorated with new new found energy. He wanted another ale, a place to rest, and maybe some grub too, but as he stood at a crossroads he realized he was absolutely lost. The streets were still new to him, and he memorized the narrow alleys by their number, not their look. Theo started laughing as he realized how far gone he was. What a crazy night it had already been.

...Or you're not.
Last edited by Theo Popcampio on July 16th, 2016, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on July 16th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Kavala finally made it to the entrance, down the steps, and out the door. She needed to put space between herself and the continued brawl as people started getting real injuries. The Healer had no desire to stick around and patch men up that weren’t deserving of having a black eye soothed or a knife wound they’d earned through the sheer stupidity of drinking. And sure enough the compulsion would demand it of her if she lingered very long.

Long strides had her halfway down the street before her path was blocked by the arrogant human. Kavala knew her tamo daggers were tucked neatly in the small of her back and that she had another things she could defend herself with. So she wasn’t exactly afraid. She was more annoyed than anything. His speech reinforced that annoyance.

The man was obviously still drunk, whether he thought he was or not. Someone didn’t just sober up that quickly. She wondered in amusement how old he thought she was. Most Konti looked to be human teenagers and as such men treated them like human young. Kavala knew she was no different even though she was flirting with being the ripe old age of thirty eight. Arguing with drunks, however, had in the past proven pointless. This conversation didn’t seem to be one of those success stories either.

She curled her lip as he ticked off the points he wanted to make. It wasn’t a sneer exactly but more like a way to suppress the laughter she was feeling. Laughing outright at a human was never a good idea. They were dangerous creatures especially with a little drink in them. Kavala folded her arms across her chest and leaned back slightly out of the potential way of any potent breath the man might have or spittle that might fly as he was ticking off points.

Her pale cream Akalakian leathers hugged her body, whispering slightly as she leaned because the one piece suit disappeared into her knee-high boots where leather rubbed on leather. Her hair had slipped loose of the braid she’d had it contained in and fanned out about her as she squared her shoulders defensively. The man was a talker that much was for sure.

He even delivered an apology even while insulting Stylas again. The Konti almost shook he head in annoyance. “I’m sorry was good enough. You could spare me the lecture.” She said softly, her lips blooming into a full-fledged smile then. “I like my edges sharp. The Bull Bull is often full of young boys out with their fathers. This isn’t Syliras. It’s encouraged. And regardless of where you intended the mug to hit, you shouldn’t bury an apology alongside an insult. The two are mutually exclusive.” The Healer said in a perfectly reasonable tone.

His final verbal blow set her to laughing though. “Any one of those Akalaks in there could have bent you over at any time and there’s nothing you could have done about it. Pretty boy like you? I’m surprised you got out with your stern maidenhead intact. However, I doubt your dagger would stiffen even if you had a willing sheath or sheep to bury it in with that much liquor in you.” The Konti taunted. “Everyone knows humans can’t hold their drink whereas the Akalak can drink and pleasure a woman all night long.” She added then paused. “Though I doubt you’d find either with that nasty temperament you’ve got going.” She said, a wicked part of her wanting to add fuel to the fire, a parting blow so the handsome but rude human wouldn’t forget her. She wouldn’t forget him any time soon. That much was for sure.

Kavala watched him walk away – march proudly more likely – and then pause at the next crossroads. Amusement flickered through her expression before she schooled it to a calm expression. She followed after, curious, and came up beside him. “Lost already? Ready to admit you’re falling down drunk?” She queried, then continued on as if she didn’t much care if he admitted it or not.

“I happen to dislike humans for a really good reason. Besides the arrogance and routine incorrect assumptions they make, humans tend to want to control everyone around them to the point they almost want everyone enslaved. If you don’t share their views, they force their views on you. That’s no way to live a life happily.” The Konti said, tagging along beside him. She decided she’d best keep an eye on him to make sure he didn’t do anything stupid.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 16th, 2016, 8:15 pm

It was out of the corner of his mind that he heard the konti continue to peck away at his ego, or at least attempting to. Theo wasn’t cocky, but he hadn’t a care for the world’s perceptions, and that was to his fault. In his mind he knew what was right and what to care for, personal attacks meant nothing to him. She had grown more reasonable, and that was a start

While his back was to her she continued to yell insults about his manhood, how he was a sloppy drunk, this and that. He didn’t care. If she couldn’t tell the difference between intention and effect so be it, if the word accident meant nothing than let it be, if she cared so much for the akalaks then why’d she abandon her red man? Theo chuckled as the thought strolled back in: I’ll give her one thing, she sure has pep.

But what was it worth with all this arguing? Theo felt his words were below him.

As she jogged up she immediately gave Theo a crash course on the faults of humanity, as if these stereotypes were unique and characterized humans. Humans lived in Riverfall just fine, anyone could see that, it was the Sylirans and their like who had their people fearful of death with their work orders. That was a culture problem, not a race one. Last I checked, slavery’s legal in Riverfall, but not in Syliras.

But as the tide came in, so too did it wash out. There was a clarity coming from his stupor: What use was this argument? What did he hope to obtain? Was he going to let the pride of other men damper his mood, or was this night he had given to himself going to be lived for he and he alone? Theo decided on the ladder.

There was a time that the air hung still as they hung in that intersection, Theo thought to gather his words and thoughts. He was drunk, but he needed to be clear. All the blood he’d spilt made it easy to forgive simple transgressions, but he needed to speak his mind.

”Again, I’m sorry.” He began to extend his olive branch. “You didn’t deserve that mug to the head, it wasn’t my intention. I was just having some good fun and was frustrated that my day away from blood was broken by pride and lust. I try my best to be a simple man, but that is not always how things go.”

”As for my manhood, that’s not my evaluation to make. I’m young and virile, and my loves are long and gone, but forgive me if I can’t boast of my conquests in the Blue Bull to you. It’s unbecoming.” Theo was talking more to himself than to her, it was easier to discuss matters of the heart with beer in your belly. I wonder what sweet Rielly is doing right now, if she too is in the streets with some stranger.

Ugh my gods, look at me spilling my feelings, this isn’t the time. ”Don’t worry, I’m safe from the troubles you fear for me.” He laughed dryly. ”But I will surprise you.”

”I’m not going to control you, but I do not need to be nannied for the night. So I pose to you a dilemma: You can either go your own way, visit your akalak, go home, I have no care, or you can help me navigate these confusing, unfamiliar streets to some place where I could get something to drink, eat, sleep on.” He smiled out of the corner of his lips. ”It’d be a good way for you to make up for everything.” He winked, hoping to get a laugh from her. We need some thinner air.

”The choice is yours, but either way I’ve already forgotten about that petty brawl. Move on if you will, I don’t need your supervision if that’s all you offer.”

...Or you're not.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on July 16th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Kavala decidedly wasn’t yelling insults. Her speaking voice was reasonably quiet due to the fact it was late at night and they were out on the street of a well populated city. In her mind she was just pointing out facts to justify why he wasn’t going to be doing what he said he was. It was a perfectly reasonable discussion. Drunk men weren’t the most logical of creatures though, especially humans.

He couldn’t know she wasn’t talking about Riverfall or Syliran Culture, but almost every human she’d ever had any meaningful relationship with that wasn’t Drykas and immediate family. Even as a young healer returning from Mura and her healer training, she’d ran into her first humans and the encounter hadn’t been nice. It had resulted in her slavery for thirty days and subsequent rescue by the Akalak and indenturement as a Nakivak in Riverfall for the years to come. Then, years later, she’d fallen in love with a human who’d loved her back but ultimately rejected her because she was a Konti and ‘not human enough’. Kavala had more than enough reason to despise humans as a whole and prefer Akalak company if one discounted her Drykas relatives who were rock solid in their love and support.

“You don’t have to keep apologizing. Once was enough. It was the rest of what you said which was disturbing. But I have learned long ago that a drunk man is not exactly the same as a sober man, so I’ll withhold judgement until I see the other side.” She added quietly, offering him a simple smile. She should just go home, call it a day, and kiss her children. But they were in good hands with the twins on duty and more than willing to babysit the night away, so there was really no real reason to hurry.

The Healer made no response to his comments about his day away from blood that was broken by pride and lust. She thought the wording interesting and wondered suddenly what he did for a living. He kept speaking though so there was no opportunity to question him further in that instant. She thought it odd he labeled himself such things and then slapped a moral code across his thoughts like a triage bandage even after the blood had leaked free.

“I’m not a man that would appreciate such boasts, I assure you.” She said finally, at a loss for what else to say. Drunks tended to wander verbally and that seemed exactly what the man was doing. Her moment of inattention had her bringing her eyes back to him as he gave her an ultimatum. Stay, go, but if you stay don’t babysit.

The Konti locked her heels for a moment and considered the man. “My name is Kavala.” She said suddenly, offering him her hand as if to shake. “I was not at the Blue Bull to go whoring through the Akalaks in the crowd. I had a rough day, lost a patient of mine, and so I had washed the blood off and went to town to find someone to dance with – someone nice and polite with manners – and let off some of my frustrations for not being able to do a darn thing to help that patient. I don’t like days filled with blood either, but that’s what they all are sometimes. I don’t care that you hit me upside the head with your mug, but I do think you do need a bit of minding since your standing out in a street lost when the place you seek was right next door to the Blue Bull and its back the way you have come. You’ll want to visit Atri and grab some stew and a room for the night at his place. I can show you or you can show yourself. Either way its two buildings from the gate on the north side. It’s clean, cheap, and he caters to travelers at all bells of the day.” The Konti said, somewhat put off by his dismissive lecturing tone. In her mind she’d been reasonable and made comments that were nothing but the truth.

“Supervision is not all I have to offer, but I can tell you are not familiar with this city and perhaps need it even if you don’t want to admit it.”
But your dismissive tone makes me want to turn on my heel and leave you here anyhow. She added silently. “What else do you want if not directions to someplace clean and catering to travelers? You haven't even introduced yourself, which is how we need to start if we are going to start over.” She said abruptly wholly confused by what he was saying and why he was saying it like he was.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Theo Popcampio on July 16th, 2016, 11:46 pm

”Whoa, whoa, lady.” Theo backed away from her, throwing his hands in front of himself and waving them. ”I was just being nice, no need for any of this. I don’t know if you remember, but we were just insulting each other's personability and character. We’re well past cordiality. Honestly, I was expecting you to walk, but you can at least talk frank.”

He moved forward and leaned in, talking to her ear more than her face. ”I’ll start: If we go back there, we better order caskets.” He laughed. “You beat at least five different men on your little rampage, which was impressive by the way, and I was friends with the instigators. I’m all for breaking out the iron and putting it to ‘em, but that’s a dumb fight.” He said, hoping to illustrate the difference between them. Theo relished in combat, but not hapless brawls. ”Besides, that place is more of a dancehall than a bar. Not my scene.” How did I get there anyway? I feel like someone told me to go there, who?

A cloud blew past in the sky and Leth shone down on Kavala. She had smooth features and a certain cuteness about her while her smooth scales shimmered in the soft light. What do you want, her voice rang his head. ”You laid down all this suggestion. Pleasure me all night, stiffen your dagger, and you called me pretty, thanks by the way.”

He paused for a moment, questioning himself, he’d gone for so long without a woman’s touch and for good reason: He didn’t want any attachments in Riverfall, no one to care if he ended up gone as he had done. But he had already spilled enough out, why not just look for seeings sake? She was aching to wipe herself clean of a hard day, and he was trying to run away from a past he couldn’t remember and would’ve wanted to forget. It doesn’t have to mean anything, he reassured himself.

”Now, I gotta tell ya’, I’ve got a thing for hard women, and you can certainly handle yourself.” Theo chuckled. ”Aaand you’re beautiful, I don’t care about what else.” He stepped a bit closer and grabbed her hand. “So how bout this, considering we both have some steam to blow: You come back down to that place by the docks with me (I got a room there), you buy me that drink you promised, I’ll fill our stomachs, and if things go well, I’ll fill yours. Maybe even show you that not all the rumors are true. Huh?” He waited hoping she’d laugh. “If not you can smack me and we’ll start one of those brawls again you so seem to enjoy. Don’t worry, I’m good down there, it’ll get swept under the rug, whatever happens.” He reassured her.

”I seem to all of a sudden remember where I stay. Theo said, backing away and releasing her grip.

Right on cue the red akalak, head wound and all, emerged from the bar in a half stumble. ”Your move, Kavala.

He walked away before she had the chance to look back at him. She could come or not. Theo had no care, or at least he told himself.

Kulkakan was nice and quiet this late. There were a few sailors engaging in the usual banter, and a couple men had passed out on the bar, but nothing like the Blue Bull.

”Theo, back so soon? I thought you had a night out on the town with Mahrak?”

”Who?” Mahrak, that sounds like Merrick, where do I know that name? Theo laughed at himself and with the waitress. ”Listen Chell, I need something to eat, something good.” Theo rubbed his chin. ”I need a plate of fish, whatever you got that’s good with whatever goes with it. And do you have anything on roast still?”

”I have some beef off in a hunk in the back, yesterday’s cut, but yesterday was half a bell ago.”

Theo snickered. ”That’ll do. Something green too. Can I get a pour of that Seaworthy ale?”

The crimson haired girl looked with a frown on her face. ”No sorry, tap went dry today. I do however have a crisp cider from Syliras, just got in today.”

”Two of those please.” Theo remarked.

Chell turned back with a smile. ”Theo,” she let her voice drag on his name, ”are you expecting someone?”

”Not really, but if anyone does show up, ask if they’re with me. Mention my name.”[/b]

...Or you're not.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Same Old Story (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on July 17th, 2016, 3:48 am

The Konti blinked as the man threw up his hands and waved them about. Another lecture was forthcoming, one she should have seen coming a mile away. Blinking, she tried to follow his logic and found no sense in it. Was he complimenting her in a back alley way? Probably. The man must have thought he was getting his flirt on. There was no dumb fight in Kavala’s mind. Each fight was a practice for the next life and death situation, something she found Mizahar full of.

But in the end he rounded off his lecture with an insult to not only her choice of establishment but the establishment itself. Kavala could have sighed. In that moment, she didn’t long to trade barbs with drunken human men. She would have instead given anything for a long ride along the beach with someone she could really talk to, maybe Caelum or Aaron, or even her older brother Vanator. For a moment, as she studied the stranger’s handsome face, she missed all three so much it almost hurt. What had she expected? That some stranger would understand? That he’d talk to her like a decent human being and start over with a proper introduction?

Kavala still didn’t know his name and suddenly she didn’t want too. There was an arrogance rolling off him that just seemed to inflate the more he kept talking. She didn’t follow what he was saying. Her being suggestive? No. She’d been politely telling him he’d been lucky he hadn’t been raped by an interested Akalak and that there would have been nothing he could do about it. Sure, she'd insulted him a little by suggesting a sheep would have done instead of a woman, but would he even remember? He was the drunk, after all, not her. And when he called her "hard" it hurt just a little. There was more to her than her fists or her pretty face. Hadn't the whole thing with Ronan taught her that? Humans valued nothing she considered valuable, looks fitting in to that category as well.

She started to speak but he had more to say. He grabbed her hand suddenly and her light blue eyes narrowed.

He suggested she come back down to the place by the docks where he stayed…. naming it not at all… and eat and drink and maybe more. Prove the rumors weren’t true? Seriously? Her life experiences weren’t rumors they were absolute truths in Kavala’s existence. Didn't he understand that? She didn’t follow his verbal wandering from food to sex to rumors being untrue to brawling. Perhaps it was that she was trying too hard to not yank her hand out of his grip and wipe it on her hip. He was frustrating her in the extreme even though she tried not to show it. Her common was solid, but they weren’t even speaking the same language.

Not that it mattered. She couldn't' get a word in edgewise.

He spoke more and Kavala simply shook her head, not having a chance to respond before he was gone. He parted ways abruptly with a final sudden recovery of his amnesia and evidently headed off home leaving the Konti half confused and half pissed standing alone on the cobbles.

Kavala stood there a full chime or two before moving. That movement constituted heading back in the direction of the Blue Bull.

“I hate humans.” She said half under her breath as she turned, spotted the red Akalak, and walked up to Stylas. She tended him quickly, not able to do anything for his drunkenness, but perfectly able to help his head which would make it the second time she’d tended it that day. A few others came after and she took the time to fix them up too. Broken bones, a sprained wrist, and a good dose of healthy bruising here and there was all that needed treatment. And when they were taken care of, Kavala said her goodbyes, made her apologies for vanishing during the brawl, and turned the corner to walk down the street to the stables.

It took her no time to collect Ghost and toss a yvas on him. She left his head free of tack and swung up on to his big body. The petite Konti looked like a child riding the warhorse, but she didn’t care. Kavala walked him back out into the street, turned left and headed for the gate. She had no intention of combing the dockside housing for a man whose name she didn’t know at a place he was staying that could have been one of a dozen down at the water level. She honestly could have used the company that night, but she wasn’t so desperate to go crawling after one that hadn’t been too welcoming anyhow. Sure, he’d been nice to look at, but really there was nothing in common between the two as far as she could see. He hadn’t mentioned a job, unless it was a professional smart ass, a name, or even the place he was staying. The Konti half believed his invitation wasn’t as sincere as he made it seem.

So she turned the stallion north upon the road and took a side trail down to the sea. She’d meander the beach back to The Sanctuary and linger under the stars where the wind and the waves and the feel of a good horse would sooth her just as nicely as any strangers’ touch.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes