PM to join [The Rat Hole] Reach of the Black Sun (Sevris)

Two old acquaintances meet again in an all too fitting environment.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Rat Hole] Reach of the Black Sun (Sevris)

Postby Kaie on August 6th, 2016, 5:46 am

4th Day of Summer, 516 AV
Mid-Afternoon

The Myrian woman had a bad habit. Well, she had a lot of bad habits. This on in particular was her tendency to be in places best left alone. One way or another, whether she sniffed it out or let it find her, trouble was always afoot. It usually began with the common urge to drink. This excuse to tip a tankard to thirsty lips rested well within reason. Affections for a man intended to be naught more than a fleeting romance turned into an eternal bond. Without consultation, she had been forever tied to another individual, feeling what he felt, longing for him when he wasn't by her side. Even the tiniest details of the bond weighed upon her. After all, she had been a free spirit, a wandering mercenary searching for her fill of bloodshed and then content to return to the comforts of Falyndar. Fate, as always, had other plans. On top of that, her sister had made landfall in Riverfall. Jeida's arrival opened up old wounds, and her resentment and accusing stare was enough to drive even the strongest person to find solace in the bottom of a mug of ale.

Thus, Kaie had parted from her bondmate to stroll about Riverfall. She wove through the crowds, meandering between clustered bodies with mumbles of apology she spoke out of respect for social norms rather than honesty. When the simple walk didn't clear her head the borderline alcoholic took an impulsive turn into what appeared to be a run-down tavern. Copper-toned hands pushed through the giant, heavy wooden doors to reveal a dank, dark world within. The stools were old and worn. Chips and gashes littered the ancient wood that crafted the bar counter. Even the smell of the place didn't convince one that the food was safe to order. The kegs behind the bartender, however, were all that was necessary to bring the Myrian into the near-empty place.

Kaie took a seat upon one of the stools in the corner along the bar. The bartender, who was leaned forward to exchange nefarious whispers with a pair of men sitting farther down, suddenly stood up straight to eye the foreigner. Amber eyes gazed back at him coolly. He was an odd-looking man that wholly fit the location of his employment. Black hair stretched just beneath his ears and was accessorized with an equally black top hat. A permanent scowl seemed to characterize his plain features and an eye patch covered his left eye. When it appeared the Myrian would not be intimidated despite being out of place, he made his way down to greet her.

"What'll it be?" he growled simply at her in a tone that suggested no outright animosity. "Mug of ale," she retorted in a likewise manner. The stranger nodded and scooped up a mug as he made his way toward the kegs. A brunette man with a short beard emerged from a backroom, spitting upon the floor as he surveyed the clientele. His hand gripped tight upon his shortsword. It was only then the Myrian became acutely aware no Akalaks were present in the tavern at all. Kaie furrowed her brow. Where the petch am I?

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sevris on August 7th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Paranoia. That was the word that always melted down his brain when he left the city. Being a Lazarin always drew some sort of attention to him but he did not want that here. To Sevris the Akalaks he has met always had some sort of attention to justice about them and they were all enemies. Especially he felt paranoid with Syliran Knight's so close by.

It was something he would have too get used too. He wore a black silk outfit covered with a cloak. No insignias from the Stryfe or the Lazarin clan on his outfits, nothing to draw attention he was from Ravok.

There was only one place in Riverfall he had some sort of safety. He was told to go to a place called the Rat Hole. Disguised as a tavern, it was also a sleeper cell for the Ebonstryfe set up by the Black Sun.

Sevris walked into the establishment and was let down a narrowed annoyed look on his face. Compared to the home he had spent 10,000 gold mizas on, this was a flashback to a place he'd rather not even think back on. But for now it would do, he had heard word that there was something worth traveling all the way from Ravok for.

There were no Akalaks in the tavern, just a few stragglers sitting around at tables and the bar. And someone that seemed oddly familiar. He removed his cloak and put it around his hand. Yes he knew this woman. A beautiful mercenary he had run into during a raid on the Rising Dawn.

A friend of Ravok, and helpful to his plight. Maybe he could indulge her. The Lazarin walked right up to the bar and sat right next to her just as the man with an eye patch was tending to her.

"Add one more ale for me," Sevris said to Tom grabbing his attention, there was certain hum that resonated between them when he acknowledged he turned to him. An understanding, a feeling of a little bliss, to feel the presence of another Chaon. Seeing the the Soldier he tapped into the his Chaon gnosis and it resonated on his back. Tom's presence was much more dominant in the room. Power of a second mark, which was why he hid his other. It was completely white.

"You got it," Tom said now understanding that this was whom he was waiting for. A Lazarin looking for information.

Sevris turned his attention to Kaie to watch for an expression. "Fancy meeting you in this Rat Hole," he said with a smirk. He had come into the establishment to try and see what he could do to spread Rhysols influence in Riverfall. But to start he had to find a way to weaken the Syliran Knight's in this area. They numbered greatly, so it would have to be devastating before they even tried to make a move. But that was the Acolyte for, to see what information he had to give.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Words: 187865
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kaie on August 9th, 2016, 1:13 am

Out of virtually no where a bold man planted himself in the seat beside the wary Myrian woman. Kaie arched a slender brow at him, part of her holding admiration for the foolhardy action. It was a rare thing for someone to eye the obvious foreigner and choose to approach so closely, especially if one could correctly identify her race. Nonetheless, there was something..familiar about the individual. The notion became evidently true when he voiced something that suggested as such. Her brow furrowed. Whoever the man was, there was an uneasiness felt when he exchanged a knowing look with the strange bartender.

"It definitely smells like one," the Myrian offered in return once the bartender had strut from their end of the bar. Her amber eyes looked the man up and down, and it was only when she saw his smirk that things seemed to click. The Ravokian man, her brain reminded her right on cue. It felt like a lifetime ago she was sitting in the man's office, pledging her aid to the Ebonstryfe in exchange for Mizas. Some poor bastards aligned with the Rising Dawn had been met with their collaborated furies. She would've been surprised to know any of them had made it out alive. Behind this man's leadership, a host of Ebonstryfe soldiers had fallen on those that opposed them with a cruelty that would never be known by Syliran Knights.

"You're far from home, Lazarin," she acknowledged the man for who his was aloud finally. She glanced about the Rat Hole and noticed a few had given glance toward the newest arrival and his odd choice in company. The Myrian shrugged it off. "The last time we met we were both making red our color. I remember you promised me 'next time' you'd tell me your secret to knowing our enemy had mages?" Now it was her turn to smirk. Mages were never a demographic she was fond of, and if they man indeed had a trick up his sleeve to discovering them, she would ensure he lived up to his promise.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sevris on August 15th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Sevris was a known name in Ravok. One of the youngest Paladin's in near memory. Helped destroy the Rising Dawn and was there for the hanging of the criminals before someone killed the leader from the crowd. However such fame would not be helpful here in Riverfall. Sevris's stay here would be short, but it was a pleasant surprise to see Kaie. In the Rat Hole of all places.

Kaie's expression changed just the way Sevris had anticipated. Curisosity sat on her brows as she did bring up a valid point. He had promised to tell her how he knew there were Mages amongst the group of Rising Dawn members. It was a secret only three other people knew about. The less people that knew, the better the advantage.

But she had earned her pack with the Stryfe and was considered an ally and friend. However when she mentioned his name, there were noticeable glances towards him. He ignored them, "My visit will be short lived. But you are right, I can indulge you on that secret, in just a moment," Sevris turned his attention back to Tom grabbing his mug of ale from him.

"Let us speak more privately." Without the need to say more, he beckoned to the backroom.

"Follow me Ser Sevris," Sevris walked behind the counter towards the backroom. The room was barred by a heavily built door. He was hoping that Kaie would follow him to the back.

The Acolyted pushed the door backwards and they stepped into the back. The Paladin was pleasantly surprised. The place was spacious and it was dedicated soley to as a Temple to Rhysol. There were small pillars engraved with powerful glyphs. In the middle were mats for at least four people and an altar made for Rhysol.

Everything was very expensive and well kept. "You've made this quite the location."

"We take it seriously."

"I can see." They walked over and took a spot on the ground next to the altar. Sevris said a quick prayer under his breath and looked at Tom then at Kaie.

"To answer your question, I have in my position a powerful magecrafted helmet. It allows me to see Djed in its glorious form, and make magic more noticeable. Good against Mages who think they have the upper hand. It'll help me with my mission. This where Tom comes in. What do you have?"

"As Ansel is unable to do so. There is a human Rogue Mage we want you to capture. We aren't aware of his skills, but we have information on a name. Hugain Monterry. We aren't sure but what makes him unique is that he has an unknown Familiar traveling with him and that he used to be a Mage Knight. What kind is up to you to figure out. He is very powerful and to be treated as a dangerous enemy. It seems that he has left, Riverfall a few days ago before you came. That's why you didn't get word of it. But we did hear that he is heading to Ravok. He was asking around what roads that would take him there."

"So I must head to Ravok and search for clues there?"

"There is an Aurist that well assist you when you return. You must bring him back alive."

"Easier said than done."

"Which is why you were chosen Paladin."

"Consider it done," Sevris turned to Kaie. "You wouldn't be heading to the Syliras Region anytime soon?"
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kaie on August 19th, 2016, 3:23 am

Part of her anticipated the Ebonstryfe soldier to dodge her as he had on the battlefield. It was perhaps one of his best secrets, this method he had to identifying an enemy's arcane abilities before engaging them. Yet Kaie would ensure even the darkest of allies lived up to their word. Kaie relented to the man's will, taking her own mug from the bartender before following the not-so-stranger to a back room. The Myrian's lip curled for a tick as she noticed the bartender's gaze linger distrustfully upon her. Eyes polluted with subtle glances of admiration toward the passing Ebonstryfe soldier in her company gave clue this was no ordinary tavern.

Perhaps it was foolish to follow the pair of men to the mysterious backroom. The secrets evidently looming about her made the entire establishment far sketchier than she had initially realized. No inkling of malice struck her yet and thus she chose to follow Sevris anyways. Upon entry to the room, she immediately felt more uncomfortable than she had prior. Candles, strange markings, and an altar dedicated to a god she did not know laid before her. The Myrian steadied herself and follow the pair of men forward, but remained a few paces backward from the alter whilst they prayed.

"A helmet?" she parroted dumbly at first while she thought back to their last meeting. Memory supported the claim. The man had been decked out in a set of glorious armor that covered him completely from head to toe. Maledicted items were common in Falyndar, and warn by many of her own clansmen. Perhaps this magecrafting discipline was somehow similar. In any case, it was a useful piece of information to keep in the back of her mind.

The curious Myrian couldn't help but listen to the conversation between Black Sun members. Clearly the Rat Hole was some sort of stronghold for their sort, though what use they had for one this far from Ravok was not something she could obviously answer. She knew little of their organization other than that they compensated her well for her skills. Her brow furrowed at mention of the Hugain Monterry, the infamous rouge mage. Mention the man had been a knight dared her to tilt her head. An ex-Syliran knight daring to head to Ravok? It sounded like a death wish by all accounts. Did he even know the Black Sun had him in their sights? Kaie cocked a brow when Sevris addressed her again.

"Perhaps. I have no intentions on visiting your city again though," She admitted to the man. The sensation of eyes upon her had her glancing toward the bartender and then back to Sevris. "No offense." Time was running out for the young woman. She could only keep her sister Jeida's wanderlust at bay for so long. Within a few days she would need to break it to her bondmate that she desired to follow her kin on her pilgrimage east. If their bond was as strong as she suspected, that detail was not expected to be a problem. Sevris's task was certainly a far greater challenge.

"You plan to chase this Rouge Mage east? I've known Syliran Knights to pose among residents, feigning allegiance to the same cause and forsaking moral high grounds they swore oaths to. I've seen the power you command on a battlefield, but I would urge you not to underestimate a man of this caliber. I don't suppose your groupies here would offer their services?" Kaie sipped at her piss poor quality ale. A mage was a tricky thing whether they were friend or foe. It seemed to her a silly though to sully against one blind and alone.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sevris on August 21st, 2016, 2:23 pm

Kaie was visibly perplexed at his mentioning of his very special helmet. It had been invaluable and a secret no one outside of those present for his secret mission. Kaie was a rare soul, the thought of betraying her and sacrificing her to the Defiler popped in his mind. To twist her to his ways was the Chaon influencing him.

This was the work of the power bestowed upon him. Such thoughts he usually would give in to. With one word, one touch, he could curse a person. How quickly the thought had come, it left just as fast. He felt somewhat guilty that it had occurred, no motive came to him as to why.

Sevris shook his head and went on to reply to Kaie not wanting to return to Ravok. "That is fine. Enjoy whatever place you call home. I shall do the same."

The Paladin discussed business with the Black Sun Acolyte which meant that he trusted Kaie with such knowledge. She did give sound advice when dealing with Mages. Sevris nodded his head approvingly, "You are correct. Our last Mage Hunter led a group of specialized Paladin's for this job. I will be assembling a team just for this."

He turned his attention to Tom. "What troubles me was the ease at which we found this information."

"I don't find it to troubling. He must know we are tailing him. He wants us to know this."

"Why would he want us to tail him to Ravok of all places? He's mad."

"I don't think so. The coincidence of this might have something to do with The Call."

Sevris's eyes narrowed as he had been noticing the The Call. His mark was flaring more and more. An unrelenting want, to return to Ravok. That can only mean one thing. Rhysol was to return to Ravok and maybe with the Voice as well. As their absences have been noted.

"I will collect more info before we proceed. Your intel was of much use. It will be instrumental in the future."

"I do, what I do best. Stay as long as you like till you leave." And with that Tom made his leave to attend to the bar.

Sevris was free to take a swig of his ale. Terrible. But it'll do. He eyed Kaie after setting it back down. "Wherever your travels take you. Just know this Paladin will be at your aid."
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kaie on August 23rd, 2016, 3:04 am

There was a mere tick that her peculiar gift of danger intuition flared in the presence of the Paladin. A surge of malice arose, immediately catching the attention of the Myrian it was clearly aimed toward. There were but two others beside herself in the room, and sense it seemed to be coming from Sevris's general direction, Kaie was dismayed the source evidently from old ally rather than sketchy Tom. The Black Sun soldier might've spotted the briefest tightness in her eyes that alluded to suspicion. Then the sensation was gone just as quickly as it had come. The savage would not so quickly forget its short presence.

Kaie's attention fell back reluctantly to the conversation at hand. Whoever the knight mage they were hunting was, he seemed to be enacting a complex plot against their organization. The element of surprise was a powerful one. Yet this fugitive of the Black Sun boasted his abilities, path, and destination. She furrowed her brow. There's something much bigger going on here than meets the eye. Sevris was an accomplished leader on the battlefield to be sure, yet the audacity of the mage dared to long overshadow his achievements. At least now she knew Tom was clearly a Black Sun informant and the Rat Hole a ruse for their benefit. Perhaps there would be a day such knowledge would come in handy.

"Sounds like your Mage is leaving bread crumbs for what I wager to be a trap. Riverfall is well out of the way for a Syliran man heading for Ravok. Might be worth discovering what brought him so far west for a much larger quest demanding he head farther east?" Kaie suggested casually with a shrug of her shoulders. The shorted tick of malicious intent directed her way earlier had left her wondering if it was too soon to let the man leave her sight just yet. "I'd be happy to sway some more information out of someone for you...in exchange of learning more about how you got that helmet of yours." The offer was simple, and yet the ball was in the Ravokian man's court. He could take the mercenary on once more, or end their reunion right then if he so chose.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sevris on September 2nd, 2016, 10:54 pm

Kaie was right. Her question riled his curiousity. Sevris was given a mission but this mission was filled with my many unanswered questions. Most troubling was an enemy going to a dangerous part of Syliras for anyone not under the banner of Ravok.

Then she said, "I'd be happy to sway some more information out of someone for you...in exchange of learning more about how you got that helmet of yours."

This was a sensitive situation. As Sevris recalled what had earned him the right to call himself Paladin. Flashes of the event blinked into his mind, his blade severing the heads of the Paladin's walking behind the Marshall. Him and two others fighting Ansel with everything they had.

Barely making it but Sevris was able to kill Ansel. However such betrayal was beyond question, to kill a fellow Ebonstryfe member, especially such a high ranking officer. And what makes matters worse, was that Ansel was Sevris's cousin.

But he planned against Lazerin, he had to die. But such knowledge could not be made public, not even the Black Sun could know this."How I got the helmet is a dangerous story. If we meet again, should you wish to hear it, I will indulge you. Only after you have done something for me."

He trusted Kaie with knowledge of a sleeper cell, but this info would involve her in a deadly power struggle. If he were ever captured they would wrench such information from his lips with or without his intention. Better she didn't know yet, he wouldn't risk him getting caught along with her unless they became friends with deeper roots. Something Sevris never had before.
Sevris
Loyal Soldier

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kaie on September 3rd, 2016, 3:17 am

For a tick, Kaie had a thought that his warning was meant to deter her from asking questions. This naturally only piqued her interest more. She'd never seen an item as powerful as Sevris alleged his helmet to be.

The crafting of such an item and the acquiring of it was something the curious woman simply needed to know. Furthermore, as a devout follower of Akajia, the desire to unveil the coveted secret was insatiable.

Kaie arched a brow at the man. "You should know by now that danger doesn't frighten me," the Myrian pointed out with a shrug. After all, she'd played the sitting duck that helped launch the battle on the Rising Dawn before their collapse. Besides, they were in Riverfall now. The trouble they could get into within its walls was laughable compared to the battle waged in Ravok. The stakes were even less so than if they were hidden away in Syliras.

"What would you have me do?" Her right hand thoughtlessly cam to rest upon the hilt of her sword. Was it truly so unwarranted, though, to have her mind drift to violence when paired with chaotic presence?

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes