A Game of Knowing (Izuyanai, please)

Izuyanai's second lesson.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Thomas Cosa on April 27th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Disbelief and shock opened his eyes, wide, as he heard her confess, "Your mother, hmm?"

Rage kept his eyes sharp after.

He wanted to shred her, his magic acting on his impulse, sharp as it cut deep into her aura, slicing into her colors with a pained disgust. Thomas couldn't believe she'd guessed something so intimate, so he assumed he was to blame; unless Izuyanai suddenly became a mind-reader, he must have said something, his mouth open as his mind wandered his memories.

Thomas breathed, a pathetic attempt at calming himself. He'd been a fool, and she was only lucky to have been there. It wasn't weakness he'd shown, not really, but he'd given something up freely to the Kelvic.

And then she had the audacity to tease him? As if he cared to know about her happiness. That was the last thing he wanted after, and it had been a ridiculous question. Thomas sneered at his own attempt, annoyed and disappointed he'd wasted his turn. His own vanity had blinded him, again, forever his curse. He'd thought himself so clever, playing detective with the Kevlic, when he forgot the very thing that hadn't yet failed to solicit a reaction.

Why try and feign a gently curiosity when cruelty had worked so well?

"Already giving up? Thomas asked, his voice bitter with condescension, "I knew you where weak, I saw that, but I thought you would at least try to better yourself. Why else would you waste your money on lessons?" he asked, an obvious attempt to bait her into continuing, into overgiving. Avalis had warned him against this, and he'd countered overgiving was the only way to achieve greatness. What a curious idea, he thought, to try prove his argument with a Kelvic? If she overcame, then he was right, and he only need to show the Ethaefal. If he was wrong, well, he saw no point to admit anything. Thomas would take Izuyanai's hopeful mistake as a warning for himself.

"Whatever. It's my turn, isn't it?" He smiled easily, sweetly.

"Do you wish you weren't Kelvic? That you were instead something not meant to be a slave?"

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Izuyanai on May 1st, 2016, 7:52 am

The searing, acidic sensation of fury that radiated from Thomas was obvious even to the Kelvic. Had she been a better aurist, the violent stabs of his magic might have caused her to panic. In any case, Izuyanai steepled her hands in front of her and stared unblinkingly at Thomas' bitter expression. It seemed that someone couldn't take her flattery.

It was strange how he goaded her so. Her own teacher willed her to cross the limit. Did he actually want her to overgive severely? She wouldn’t put it past him if that were the case. It was so different from what she remembered about her last auristics teacher. Be careful, don’t get hurt, was the mantra. Thomas did have a point in proposing the no pain no gain, argument. However, if Izuyanai was told to choose between her own brother and this man staring at her with such poorly disguised hatred, the answer would be easy. She choked the flare of magic she had been calling upon, abandoning her own tendrils or auristics to wither and die away. Even so, she couldn’t let him get away with accusing her of weakness.

“Rudeness, aside, you still haven’t answered my question,” the raven said in a sing-song voice. “Or is that your way of telling me you’ve nothing to be proud of?” she questioned quietly, eyes blazing. “As for giving up, I prefer to think of it as staying sane to try again another day. I don’t pay for lessons just to end up a blithering mess in the Catholicon. I prefer to see myself actually improve."

Now that her auristics were gone, the raven could no longer sense any wave of emotion coming from her tutor, however, she steeled herself to remain the polar opposite of the bitter anger that bled through his expression. The light now slanted further down, throwing long shadows across the floor of the room.

“It doesn’t matter what I wish. It doesn’t matter what anyone wishes. In case you haven’t noticed, the world doesn’t much care for anyone’s personal opinion. The same goes for what something was meant or meant not to be. There are plenty of people who became something that they thought they were never meant to be, and yet they are. The reality is that I am here as a student, and for what it’s worth, which is nothing, I’m quite pleased to be here as me. Can you say the same for yourself?"
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on May 2nd, 2016, 1:59 pm

"If you aren't willing to practice, then I belive this lesson has come to it's conclusion," Thomas quipped, his tone uncaracterically neutral, neither warm nor cold, his hate tempered in his voice. It was still there, and she would see it lingering in his eyes, his obvious disgust. Still, if she was observant, there was something else, a light, a flickering morsel pride that might perhaps be directed at her.

He collected himself, a sigh escaping his mouth, he pushed himself up and away. Thomas walked briskly to the door, only to stop, hesitating.

"If you continue on as my student, I do hope I can at least teach you two things, Izuyanai," Thomas started, offering the Kelvic her own name. He wouldn't admit it, not to anyone, least of all himself, but her spirit impressed him. It was the only reason he continued to bother with her, to not cast her off as he did with his others, his lesser student. He tried to disguise it as magical interest, to see how far he could push the Kelvic, but he knew, even if he tried to bury the kindlings of admiration under the dust of heavy racism. "One, true Overgiving, the real stuff, the Catholicon can't protect you from that - no one can, not even the gods, believe me. Learn to be smart, and not wasteful, and you might delay it, but if you wish for greatness, like any other wizard, you will encounter it," he paused, as he reached to turn the brass door knob, thinking and thinking and thinking. How to express to animal about the dangers of magic? The real ones, anyway. True power wasn't free, and he would drill it into Izuyanai if he had to, if she continued with him. "And two, it might be true the world doesn't care about our cares and worries, at least not yet. You'd be surprised how many people you can get to care, if only you know the right spell," he smiled, shooting the Kelvic another daggered glance before he left.

She could listen to him, or choose not to, but he knew the truth. Magic, stolen or gifted from the gods, was power over the rest of mortality. Sahova had taught him many things, more than anything, the Citadel showed him just how little anything outside of power mattered. And those with power, he knew, had never cared what the world thought of them, because they were too busy ruling it to bother.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Izuyanai on May 4th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Izuyanai stayed seated, leaning onto the desk even as the door swung closed and Thomas’ heel disappeared from view. One hand massaged her temple as the Kelvic stared blankly at the nondescript surface of the door, now still and silent. Gradually, a smirk crept onto her face and she sat back with a small sigh.

Greatness? Was that what she desired? The meaning could disguise itself in many ways according to the one who spoke the word. What she needed was power. Without it, one would easily be washed away, unable to walk their own path. And what fun would it be to live without that adventure?

She would consider his words, as she did many other things. However, her own conviction was still a mystery, even to herself. If the moment Thomas spoke of presented itself to her, would she take it up or let it slide by? There wasn’t much point in worrying about it at the moment. The opportunity would make itself known. What was interesting, was her teacher’s demeanour as he spouted those lines and left the classroom. She certainly wasn’t his idea of a model student, but he wouldn’t have said anything if the Kelvic had been completely dismissed. Humans, or this one in particular, were definitely strange.

The raven gathered her things and drew herself up slowly so as not to aggravate her headache, following in suite of her teacher, and letting the door close behind her with a quiet snap.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 19th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Thomas Cosa

Teaching +2
Rhetoric +3
Auristics +2
Interrogation +1

Experiment: Kelvics practicing magic
Game of Knowing: Telling lies & truths from auras
Izuyanai: Mediocre tactician
Rhetoric: Insults provoke emotion
Izuyanai: Surprisingly persistent

Izuyanai

Intelligence +1
Auristics +5
Observation +2
Rhetoric +1

Game of Knowing: Telling lies & truths from auras
Auristics: Thomas Cosa’s aura
Auristics: Reveals what is hidden
Thomas: Abnormal interest in family
In Memory: Bad moments outweigh happy ones
Thomas: Mother is a delicate topic
Auristics: Stopping before overgiving

Mild headache (subsides after a good nap)

Notes

Reading this was a rare pleasure, grading was a good challenge though. I awarded lores related to interrogation and rhetoric because I got the feeling they practiced those two skills more than anything else while using auristics as a mere tool. Thus they got some experience, but for the most part they didn’t learn anything new about their magic. I hope this makes sense. As usual, PM me with any questions or concerns!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous