Scattered Roaches

A mercenary contract sends Kaie and her sister on a mission to disperse bandits along the Kabrin Road.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 25th, 2016, 11:35 pm

67th Day of Summer, 516 AV
Early Morning

Syna had just peeked over the great horizon as the pair of Myrians sauntered into the dank innards of the Spinning Coin. The proprietor, no stranger to the elder of the two sisters, offered a half-hearted wave as he set about his morning duties. There was certainly much to be done. Cards were strewn about the room in fits of anger. The bars of the cage were crusted with blood from the previous match. Even the bar counter was sticky with spilled alcohol. As always, the mess attested to another eventful gambling night full of profit for the Gene Duval. The foreigners tucked themselves away at a booth in the corner. Within a few chimes, the door to the Spinning Coin was tossed open as a new pair entered.

"Remember, let me do the petching talking," Kaie reminded Jeida in their mother tongue as boots signed the approach of the strangers. The younger Myrian snorted. "What are you? The Barbarian Whisperer?" Kaie rolled her eyes, fighting the urge to respond with sharper tongue. "I've been around. Trust that I have an idea of what I'm doing." The pair of newcomers slid into the booth seat opposite the Myrians with neutral expressions. The one on the left was an unimposing man with a cleanly shaven face. A lit cigar hung from his lips, grey smoke swirling up around his bald head. His companion, not much taller but far more fit, leaned his forearms upon the table. His brown eyes shifted between the pair of women, sizing them up. Kaie thought she saw a twitch to his lip, but the mirthful smile was never born to his features.

"Gene said the two of you were looking for help beyond the walls," Kaie addressed the men first in Common, leaning back in her seat with a skeptical expression. The man with the cigar lazily plucked it from his lips with stubby fingers. He blew smoke upward with a sigh. "He did, did he?" Kaie raised a brow. The corners of the fitter man's lips dared to twitch again. "When Gene sent word he knew a good mercenary willing to help with our...problem...this isn't quite what I was expecting." Kaie felt her sister's foot bump against hers under the table. She set her jaw. Petching patience, Jeida, her mind scolded. "Women?" Finally the big, stupid grin was permitted to spread across the second man's face. Jeida's expression darkened.

"The petch's so gods damned funny?" Kaie pointed to the grinning man taking pleasure in the wounding of their pride. He showed his teeth and slowly shook his head. "What's your name?"
"Finn," the fit man responded with a glance toward his companion, who offered nothing but a shrug as he puffed on his cigar. Kaie slid out of the booth suddenly and gestured for the man to do the same. "Get the petch up."
"Henry, what is this shyke?" Finn demanded with bewildered expression. Even Jeida gave her a look as to ask what she was doing. "What are you afraid of a woman?" The two men quit their muffled argument in light of the jab. Finn rose and followed the Myrian as she swiftly made way for the cage. Henry and Jeida glanced at one another before going after them.

"You're his muscle? We'll petching see." Kaie threw open the door to the cage and stepped inside, quickly setting to removing her weapons belt and kukri harness from her body before handing them through the bars to Jeida. "What is this?" Her younger sister hissed in their mother tongue. "A demonstration," was all Kaie responded in return before Finn chose to enter and shut the cage door. He removed the dagger from his waist and began to hand it through the bars to Henry. "Keep it. You're going to try to kill me with it."
"This bitch is petching mad!"
"Myrian!" This time it was Gene''s voice that boomed above the rest. His boots echoed imposingly throughout the Spinning Coin. "Relax, Duval. The only skinning this man's ever done is to the thumb between his legs." Finally she managed to hit the nerve. Her Danger Intuition caught the malice rising from the man in the cage before he moved. Myri's mark ignited against her skin.

Finn rushed her with dagger in hand, yelling as he swung the weapon diagonally downward at her throat. The Myrian surged forward with one forearm rising to catch the attack at the wrist, while her fist smashed straight into his face. The blocking arm then wrapped his wrist down tight to her body while she drove her knee twice into his middle. Finn doubled. A hammerfist struck the back of his skull, the dagger was stripped from his grasp, and the point of the blade came to a rest against the side of his throat.

Kaie looked up at her small audience with a dark expression. She released hold on her shaken opponent and made way for the cage door, dropping the dagger as she went. There was no concealing the broad smirk on Jeida's face. Gene merely shook his head. Henry's cigar nearly fell from his lips. "Now have I met your expectations?"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 26th, 2016, 1:08 am

Henry pitched his cigar before settling back into the booth. Finn begrudgingly sat down beside him with a slab of cold meat pressed to his bruised, bloody face. His gaze laid upon the table while his companion spoke. "Our father ran a small merchant operation between Syliras in Zeltiva since we were children. He died a few seasons ago, and ever since then, my brother and I have been trying to keep the business breathing," Henry explained with a rub to his bald head. He slipped another cigar from his cloak and lit it, holding the smoking thing between his teeth as he spoke.

"The Kabrin Road was always safe thanks to the knighthood. Yet every time we try sending one of our boys out to Zeltiva with a caravan, they're attacked along the road in the same gods damned spot."

"You're suggesting either they're outsmarting the knighthood patrols in the woods or they're paying someone off," Kaie read between the lines with narrowed eyes and a tilt to her head. Finn pull the slab of cold meat away from his face for a tick to offer a slow nod. "Petchs are running us over ever time. Same old scheme. A beat-up girl emerges from the trees claiming to be lost. Caravan comes to a halt. Then we get set upon."
"Why don't you just ride past her?"
"We've tried. They bottle-neck us anyways."
"You're looking for someone to run them out. Why not tell the knights? The Kabrin Road's under their watch." Henry and Finn offered each other nervous glances. Henry plucked the cigar from his mouth and leaned forward. "Look...like I said, it was a small merchant operation. We were struggling with Mizas so we started dealing with some Ravokians. Last thing we need are a couple of knights sniffing around, alright?" Jeida turned to Kaie with a blank expression.

"Ravok is a northern city with a god that opposes the one Sylirans worship. The knights that patrol the trading road could deal with the bandits giving these two trouble, but that would risk their business with Ravokian men being discovered. They need us to do the dirty work instead," Kaie clarified in Myrian for her younger sister, who quickly nodded understanding. She turned back to the two men sitting before them. "Have either of you been there during the attacks? We'll need to know their numbers and how they move." Finn slowly raised his hand off the table. Shocking. He pressed the slab of meat upon his face again. "Can't be more than a dozen of them. We were set upon a fortnight ago. Two men on horses rode from the trees to make sure we didn't escape. The rest were a bunch of damn animals on us with swords. Killed one of my best men with a crossbow."
"Will you help us?" Henry interjected. Kaie turned to Jeida, who offered her no resistance.

"We'll take the job, but the two of us can't scatter the bandits alone. We'll need to assemble a few more good fighters, but they'll be fighters we choose and we lead. We'll also be taking half the bounty in advance for job security." Finn threw the slab of meat down on the table to turn to Henry with grit teeth. Henry chewed on his cigar and glared at his companion. "Oh, shut the petch up, Finn...Yes, get whatever you need. Meet behind this place with your team two days from now. We'll talk again there and you'll get your first half. Let's just get this damned thing done."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2016, 3:47 am

The four acquaintances parted ways by the time Syna reached peak in the bright summer Sky, and the work for the Myrians was certainly laid out. Kaie and Jeida wasted no time hunting for skilled fighters to add to their bandit-eliminating group. The pair of Myrians seated themselves on the high ground above the Anthonius Fighter's Pit. The sounds of bodies hitting sand, dulled blades clashing, and knuckles ringing against solid flesh echoed from the collection of spars below. One might think their task to be an easy one. Common sense would dictate they merely would have to watch long enough to determine which fighters were the most skilled from those presence. Yet, as Kaie had learned the hard way, the process of choosing teammates was more difficult than initially expected.

With eyes carefully observing candidates on the sand, the elder of the two sisters knew there needed to be a method to their madness. The team needed to be cohesive. Strong, selfish personalities could threaten the legitimacy of Kaie's leadership. A kind heart could jeopardize the ferocity of their attack. So many small factors about an individual's personality could make or break a mission, let alone risk their lives. With Jeida by her side, Kaie was unwilling to take any unnecessary chances if she got so much as a hunch a candidate was to be avoided despite skill.

"Is that a crossbow there?" Jeida pointed toward a scrawny boy with shaky arms aiming the weapon at a group of targets. Kaie nodded. The younger of the pair watched carefully as the trigger was inevitably pulled and the bolt soared pitifully past whatever it was the boy had tried to strike. The boy shook his fist and set to resetting the weapon to have another go. "Coward's weapon." Kaie smirked. If she hadn't been sure they were sisters before, she was now. "Yes, but it's weakness is obvious. They're much slower than an archer. Once that bolt flies, rush them," Kaie explained before shifting her eyes to some of the close quarter combatants. One pair in particular demanded her attention.

"Almost got you there!" a booming voice chuckled as dull long sword collided against shield. The shorter of the two men jerked his own long sword forward to capitalize on his block, face turning to a deep scowl when the attempt was swiftly parried. "What about them?" Kaie gestured toward the two sparring partners as their dance began to pick up speed. Jeida pursed her lips. "Not...bad." She could see her younger sister fixating her eyes on the shield. In their homeland, a shield was a silly thing to wield when one could replace it with another weapon. "Those two already work well together. The larger man is better with the sword, but the smaller man isn't bad. If he carries the shield, we can send him after the crossbow to draw his fire. Numbers, home advantage, and ranged weapons are the variables they have on us. Might as well get rid of that range." Jeida conceded with murmurs of agreement before making her own observation. "We should have range of our own. What about an archer?"

The attention of both Myrians shifted back to the range. Anyone wielding a crossbow was immediately ignored from their focus. A small collection of longbow and shortbow archers remained. "What's the land like beyond the walls?" Kaie ran a hand through her hair, shaking the long, curly strands from her visage before giving response. "Mountainous forest."
"Shortbows work better in the jungle where we have thick foliage. Easier to maneuver than a longbow."
"True. The one of the left is a fine shot, but the man on the right is more consistent at hitting his target."
"Consistency is better. Let's approach the one on the right." That left them with three choices thus far acceptable to recruit to their cause. Two swordsmen and an archer. It was a small start, but a good one nonetheless. To take on a dozen experienced bandits, they were going to need to at least even the odds.

"Alright. Let's start with what we have. I'll work on the swordsmen. See if you can't convince the archer to align with us," Kaie suggested much to her sister's surprise. Jeida's brow furrowed and she reached out to grab her older sister's shoulder before she could depart. "You trust me to get a deyhan to fall under our command?" Kaie offered her a broad grin and patted her on the back. "You know some Common. You're a Myrian and a veteran of the Taloban Army. Just remember that barbarians like Mizas, and if you can convince him the pay outweighs the risk, chances are he'll fall in line with you." And with that the two dispersed to undertake their first true test of leadership.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2016, 4:36 am

"Don't forget to use the shield, too, Penn. Use it to smash and throw your opponent off balance if the opportunity presents itself," the larger man coached with brandished steel. Penn nodded his head and fell back into his fighting stance. He swung the sword, only for the larger man to parry the attack, yet it appeared to be just what the shorter man wished. Inadvertently pulling his opponent closer, the larger man left himself open to receive the punishment of the shield as it battered him. Penn stood proudly as he watched his opponent stumble back. "Yes! That's it!" It was in moment the Myrian made her bold move.

"You're not a bad teacher," Kaie offered the larger man as she slowly approached with a crooked grin. Her copper-skinned hand gestured toward the practice long sword. "Where did you learn?" The larger man eyed his skeptically, but elected to humor her nonetheless. "We're a family of blacksmiths. My father taught me to swing a sword as his father had. Now it's time I taught my own son." The shorter man's stance relaxed and the pride lingered on his expression. If only the same sentence filled her with such confidence. Shyke. A father here isn't so likely as a Myrian to see his son tested on the battlefield. This will complicate things, she thought darkly. She would not be so easily hindered. "Ah, smiths for the knighthood?" The larger man's lined lips turned to a chagrin. "Once. We were recently dropped from favor. Still looking for a new buyer." Kaie had to fight the victorious grin from spreading across her face. There it is.

"Ah, well how about a friendly spar? Your long sword against..." Kaie wandered to the nearby practice weapons station to pluck a dull blade from the rack. "My gladius? I promise to make it interesting." Penn waggled his eyebrows at his father, who snorted in the face of the challenge. He nodded his head and slowly fell into a fighting stance. "Your move, girl." The Myrian wasted no more of their time. She feigned a charge to draw the long sword forth, only to parry the blade past her and strike down upon sword arm. The larger man let out a yelp and withdrew his hand. A thrill entered his eyes as he quickly realized the Myrian intended on making due on her promise.

"Not bad yourself! But my blade is stronger!" The larger man charged at her and made a long horizontal swipe at her. Kaie quickly dropped to roll past the attack, sword arm swinging outward when she rocked back onto her heels to drive dulled edge against the back of the man's nearest knee. He stumbled forward, hopping and cursing all at once. "Maybe your shield would help?" Kaie challenged Penn with a raised brow. The son looked to father for approval, who conceded with a nod. Penn licked his lips and raised his shield as he approached the savage woman with wide eyes. The gnosis on Kaie's neck continued its encouraging burn, fueling her battle-hardy body and mind.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 27th, 2016, 4:38 am

From behind the safety of the shield, Penn edged closer and closer slowly. Now and then he's prod his sword forth to test the Myrian. Letting her Danger Intuition guide her, she merely pivoted backward with each jab. "Be aggressive, but don't let her lead you into a trap!" Penn's father continued to coach him from the sidelines.

Kaie swung the dulled blade against the beat-up shield for the sake of contact alone, but Penn remained steady under assault. A few times defensive prods with his sword almost reached her, but in the end, the Myrian's resources outweighed his attempts at out-smarting her in her own realm. Eventually, she merely backed up until she had enough room to smash her heel against the shield to send the man off his feet. Both father and son cursed quietly as he hit the sand.

"You're not the only ones to fall on hard times. I know a pair of merchants willing to reward men with your skills for helping secure the safety of their trade. They might even be willing to compensate your aid by helping you find a new buyer," Kaie baited the pair as she placed the gladius back on the practice weapons rack. Both blacksmiths cautiously eyed one another. "What kind of job exactly?" The larger man asked skeptically with narrowed eyes. The Myrian folded her arms. "Some bandits need scattering and the knighthood may not be trustworthy for the job. Besides, why hand them the job when you can reap the profit?"
"And your involvement?"
"Making sure the people that fight beside me to complete the request won't petch it up."
"How am I supposed to trust you won't petch me over? Everyone knows the fewer men make it out alive, the more shares a mercenary gets." Kaie couldn't help but grin at that revelation. At least she had chosen a man smart enough to know better than to trust a hired sword. "You can't, but reputations proceed people like me. If word spreads that I hack apart my own team for a few extra Mizas...well, I won't see too many job opportunities will I?"

The father remained silent for a half chime in pensive thought. Finally, he swung the practice sword up onto his shoulder. "Alright. I'll do it."
"I'm in, too," Penn declared firmly with a dark expression. His father glared at him, but the grown offspring's gaze seemed undeniably definitive. "Meet me in two days behind the Spinning Coin at sunset." The victorious woman could only hope Jeida was as successful.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 28th, 2016, 4:29 am

"Well?" Kaie prompted her sister as the two Myrians advanced to meet halfway in the center of the sandy arena. No victorious smile graced Jeida's lips. "We'll find out in a couple days," was all she responded grimly. Kaie pursed her lips. A decent archer to their cause would've made for a great asset. She tried not to let the disappointment cross her features. Instead she shrugged her shoulder as if to brush off the mild set-back. "We still need more recruits. We'll need fighters who can ride."

Kaie had ridden a horse plenty of times, but she was no proper handler. Steering the animal in the right direction was enough of a task let alone battling from atop it. She searched her sister's nodding face only to find frustration still lingering in her gaze. "I trust your judgement. See if you can't bring more into our fold. I'll be back before Syna falls beneath the horizon." She turned from her younger sister and started for the exit. "Where will you go?" Jeida called after her with an anxious glance about the pit full of barbarians. "To see an old friend..."

Before long the Myrian was passing beneath a familiar sign and pushing her way inside the tavern. As the door shut behind her, she found herself greeted by the comforting musk of ale, hot food, and burning wax from candles littered about the establishment. A smile dared to twitch upon her lips as she lingered for but a tick to enjoy the nostalgia. Then her gaze was locking to a hunched back in the far corner of the tavern at the bar counter. She slipped beside the imposing figure trying to isolate himself with his ale, who turned to reveal a dead eye filled with malice.

"After all this time...you really are a creature of habit," Kaie pointed out plainly. She felt the sensation of ill will directed her way begin to quickly ebb. The man's lips parted to reveal a toothless smile as he chuckled.
Last edited by Kaie on August 28th, 2016, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 28th, 2016, 4:30 am

"Gods be petched, no one has killed you yet?" The man lifted his mug to sip, only to pause as he noticed the bartender idling before them. "For petch's sake, get the savage girl a drink would you?" The girl immediately set to finding an empty tankard with doe-like eyes. Kaie couldn't help but quit restraining the rabid grin that wished to reveal itself on her visage. He truly was a wretched thing, and the poor bartender was a stranger enough to have probably been her replacement after she left to begin mercenary work. As she glanced around the place, the Myrian realized she truly had missed the Rearing Stallion after all.

"Dira hasn't seen it fit to reap me yet, but some unlucky bastards have tried to do her bidding. I see you're just rotting with a drink in hand, letting Lhex do the dirty work?" To that the man slammed a fist on the table, laughter ripping from his raspy lungs. "I'm getting too damned old, Myrian. What brought you back to Syliras?"
Cowardice. Jeida's pilgrimage. My missing bondmate whose suffering I can feeling every tick I draw breath.
"It's a long story. I came to ask you for your help. One last job." The man sighed and sipped at his drink. When the bartender returned with a drink for Kaie, he passed the proper Mizas across the counter to her. "I think I liked you better when your tits were eye level while you served me drink." She rolled her eyes, biting her tongue to prevent the impulsive verbal and physical response to his words from being entertained. "You're wearing the same ripped up cloak, your boots hardly have soles, and you still drink the cheapest ale on tap. Don't tell me the sound of Mizas falling into your coin purse doesn't tickle what's sagging between your knees, Borus"

Borus grumbled incoherent curses beneath his raspy breath before he gestured for her to go on with her pitch. Kaie set her jaw and took a long drink of ale. Her voice fell low. "I need a pair of riders, two good fighting men I can trust. There's a nest of bandits along the Kabrin causing some merchants trouble, and they'd be very grateful to whoever helped remove them. No need for knightly involvement."
"Who's in charge? You?" When there was no response from the Myrian but a hard stare, the man nearly crumpled over the counter with laughter. "Petching fools must be desperate. Fine. I'll do it for a nipple."
"Would you like both your eyes to match?" Borus raised his hands in surrender. "I was kidding, petch woman!"
"Two days. Spinning Coin at sunset. And if the other petch you bring with you if half the ass you are, I'll knock whatever teeth you both have left so far down your throat you'll shyke them for weeks." With that the Myrian rose and tipped the tankard to her lips, finishing the rest of the ale in a few final chugs before making way for the door. "Thanks for the drink." Borus watched her go with one wide eye before turning back to nurse his drink. "Welcome back...bitch"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 28th, 2016, 6:02 am

The two days given to the Myrian sisters ended swiftly, but not a bell had been wasted. A number of capable fighters were invited to convene for further details about the job offer. Kaie had dared to brave the woods alone to scout the position and condition of the bandits, who all appeared just as Finn had promised.

There had indeed been a small cavalry, a crossbowman, and a collection of battle-ready scavengers ready to pick apart the first vulnerable target that neared their section of the Kabrin Road. They were a merry band the Myrian found herself eager to crush. Yet the chance of success rested on one final variable: would any of their recruits bother to show?

Jeida and Kaie rounded the back corner of the Spinning Coin to find Henry and Finn impatiently awaiting their arrival. Finn looked especially peeved. "And the savages arrive empty handed. Well done, Henry. Petch Gene Duval," the more troublesome of the men spat, wincing as the words tugged at the sore muscles of his beaten face. This time Henry did nothing to calm Finn's sharp tongue. Kaie had half a mind to even out the bruising in his face. Jeida beat her with her own tight response. "Others will come. Wait." Her younger sister's confidence was refreshing as her own had begun to wane. It was not in vain.

Footsteps had the four turning on their heels to watch as the archer rounded the corner. He was a tall, lanky man that couldn't have been much older than Jeida. His short bow hung around his body, and his green eyes shifted nervously about at the strangers. Finally, his gaze settled on the familiar face that was Jeida's. "Uh, so I'm getting paid up front for this thing, right?"

Henry and Finn looked at one another and offered the archer a nod as more footsteps approached them. Before long, a small collection of hired swords surrounded them, most of whom Jeida had managed to acquire without chaperone. Kaie couldn't help but swell with pride despite the bitter mood that haunted her as her mind constantly fell back to Skyard's fate. Even Borus had arrived with a quiet companion.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 28th, 2016, 6:05 am

"We'll hear your terms now, boys." Kaie ushed toward the two brothers standing in the metaphorical spotlight, whose uneasiness made it clear to any experienced mercenary they had never hired sellswords before. Nonetheless, they set themselves to task with a confident act.

"We trust you've all been briefed on our plight. We'd like a small group of bandits quelled and done discreetly. A friend in the knighthood has accepted one of our gifts in exchange for a clear time slot for our attack. You lot should be in and out of the forest long before the next patrol," Henry began to explain to the group just loud enough for those present to hear as to not attract attention from elsewhere. He gestured for Finn to step forward.

"At Syna set tomorrow you'll know when the exact time for attack has been determined by our inside friend. Then, under Kaie's instruction, you'll complete the job and return to the Spinning Coin to collect your rewards." As Henry continued his soliloquy, Finn moved about and dropped a small sack of coins in each outstretched mercenary hand. Kaie's brow furrowed at the weight, finding it surprisingly sufficient. Henry seemed to sense her pleasant shock.

"As you might be able to guess, our operation is not the only one threatened by their continued existence. Any questions?" The pair of brothers glanced about, only to find happy faces fixated on the coins emptied into hired hands. "Good. Kaie, the floor is yours. We'll see the lot of you when the deed is done. We thank you for your services and promise to see you properly paid."

With that the brothers departed, leaving the Myrians to deal with the true work to be done. Kaie took position at the front of the crouch and fell to a crouch, inviting the others to collectively do the same. "I've seen the camp of these bandits from the forest," Kaie began, much to the delight of Borus who had all but doubted the legitimacy of the job until a chime ago.

Jeida dropped a handful of small sticks and stones beside her sister, who began arranging the sticks about the dirt before her to represent each enemy she had spotted in the camp. Razkar had made such tasks as planning appear like child's play whens she sat before him, much like the group kneeling before her did now.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Scattered Roaches

Postby Kaie on August 29th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Resting her elbows on her knees, Kaie wasted no time in bringing life to her make-shift map of their future battlefield. A finger-drawn line in the dirt stretched along the ground to represent the Kabrin Road. To its right sat the cluster of sticks scattered about to represent the bandits in the forest. Waiting to be positioned sat the rocks off to the side that would represent each member of the team launching the attack. It was simple model, but it would do.

"We won't be able to get the jump on them by moving up the Kabrin road. If these bandits are as skilled as they say, they'll have scouts positioned along the way to report any vulnerable targets heading their way. So..." Kaie took a pair of stones and pushed them up along the finger-drawn line toward the sticks. "We'll distract them with a decoy. While all their focus is set to exploiting our mock travelers, the rest of us will be moving into position through the forest." The other rocks diverged from the path and were dropped behind the sticks. Between the Kabrin, the flanking attackers, and the immense rock face to the north, the bandits would appear to be effectively outmaneuvered in theory. "I'll give the signal, and then both parties will rush from either direction. They'll be snuffed out in chimes." The Myrian looked up to find the gaze of her apparent teammates, brow cocked to welcome the time for questions.

"How will we decide who is a part of which group?" It would seem the blacksmith father would pose the first inquiry. A few of the others murmured their agreed confusion. I need to take control. She glanced at Jeida before she stood tall, eyeing each members equipped with their sheathed weapons. "I have already decided." Uneasy eyes shifted about one another, feet being nervously repositioned where they stood.

Kaie extended a finger out to gesture toward the shortbow archer. "You'll be with Jeida and I in the forest, using the trees as cover to extend our range before we drop down into their encampment." She swung her attention next to the blacksmith father and son, nodding her chin toward the shield the youth toted. "You two will be on the road as our decoy. Just a humble pair of smiths bringing their trade up the Kabrin Road. When the signal is given, it'll be your job to draw the fire of their crossbowman. The sooner he's dead, the easier our job will be."

"Guessing you'll want us riders on the road for the decoy then?" Borus piped up in his raspy tone. The man beside him seemed to stiffen as the Myrian's attention turned upon them. "Yes, but you will not be a part of the decoy. You'll hang back until the signal. Then you'll charge and cut them right in half." Borus and his companion seemed content with the plan, and for good reason. They'd get to sit back while the initial fighting started: a good deal for an old mercenary. Then, they'd have the luxury of charging through bewildered ranks to bring death and gore upon the enemy. Now, it would seem Kaie would have to think quite literally on her feet. The others around were strangers recruited by Jeida.

"You, the one in the armor." The man at the end of Kaie's gesture pressed his finger dumbly to his own chest. The Myrian leader nodded, fighting the roll of her eyes. "You'll be a part of the decoy as hired muscle. They'll know something is wrong if there's a traveling cart left unprotected even along a patrolled road. The rest of you will be in the forest." The lightly armored man lifted his ax to rest it upon his shoulder, offering a grunt of approval. "And the signal?" Kaie's expression darkened and a smirk edged upon Jeida's visage. The younger sister folded her arms and took the liberty of answering the final question. "When hear, you know."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next