[Training Grounds] Squire to Squire 101. (Crystal)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 13th, 2016, 1:24 am

Timestamp: 25th of summer

It was fairly warm out, well more temperate than most days. Today, Ferrin was at the Training Grounds, as usual. Ser Xervos and both Ferrin was here at the Grounds. Ser Xervos was instructing Ferrin how to wield a shield. A heater shield. The type of shield Ferrin was wielding for protection. The Training Grounds, they were busy as usual. With Knights and Squires alike training for the same goal.

Ferrin though. He had a different mind set for today. He wanted to try something new. A variety of things. He wanted to practice with a newer weapon, one that wouldn't make him feel like he won't lose any battles in the future. Something that deceives the opponent when in battle, something small and light. But, fast and agile. Something that could almost be noticeable.

"Ferrin, what's wrong. Your wielding the blade like your exhausted, hoist it up and practice more on your combat ability. It needs better form." Said the Knight with a simple sigh as he glared at Ferrin behind the dummy.

"It's not enjoyable to continue thrusting and poking at this dummy. I'm growing tired of this, why can't I verse you in a spar?" Said Ferrin in response. He raised his blade and struck the lower portion of the dummies right arm. Thwack. A few speckles of chipped wood flew off of it.

"Because, I don't think your ready to battle someone like me. What if I throw my shield at you?" Teased the Knight with a little chuckle as he did so. Ferrin glanced over at him and said nothing. The last time he fought with another sparing partner, Samuel, he ended up with a nasty move of throwing his own shield at Ferrin. It was a risky move. If Ferrin didn't see it coming, then things would've ended up worse for him.

"Though, Ser Xervos, I've done so many things to improve myself. I've been better with my blade. What else would I have to do to get as good as you?" Said Ferrin in a weak like manner. Ferrin pulled out the blade and poked the dummies chest. Leaving one-inch hole within the middle. More pieces of wood kicked off and dirt did as well, from the ground as Ferrin shuffled his feet.

"Your posture needs better form. Your curiosity is dangerous. You don't ever really want to Question higher ranking members of the Order. They won't really appreciate it. So, your lucky you have me. Now, we should still review the laws of the Order. It is basic information and it's good to get things to a mere level of understanding. Since this is only your second season of being a squire. You must take more training." A lecture. That was what this was. It was a lecture, and not anything other than.

Ferrin sighed. He wanted to spar off his uncle. He wanted to show him, to show him the strength that he has, that will that he has. All of it. Strength, courage, bravery, glory. All. Of. It. It was what he wanted. To show everyone that he can do the unexpected, to do the impossible. To keep moving forward. That's what he needs to do.

"Okay, I'm ready. What else do I need to know of the Order?" He added it half heatedly. He was slightly beginning to feel a bit nervous. Why does he need to know more, when he's already known enough about the Order?

"The Order is a highly trained discipline. It teaches you respect, especially for your teachers. Which, you've should have known about already." Ferrin rolled his eyes, but the slightly aged man did not notice. Though, Ferrin kept his gaze on his patron. He nodded simply, waiting for more information to leak out. It would work in a way. Knowing more about the Order. Now he remembered why. It was a secret though, one he must keep. Even from his patron. "There are different levels that one must progress in order to become, one of the best. As you know. But, you may not know of the titles." Ferrin shook his head nervously. He hasn't been studying.

"Pages, they hold no entitlement really. They are the age below of 15. Squires, such as one as yourself. They don't really contain any entitlement either. It's simple, meaning that they aren't a Knight yet, bit they will be. Knights, they have a mark of one sword pinned to their armor. It is necessary, to know that they are Knights. Sergeant Knight, they have two swords. Stewart, three. Captain, four. Warden, five. Lord Knight, they have a shield. Now, the Grandmaster. The current one we have now, in Syliras. Is Loren Dyres."

Ferrin stood still, resting the blade on the metal shoulder cap. "Good, now since you've been listening let's find you a partner that you've been yearning for. How about her?"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 13th, 2016, 9:12 pm

All was calm in the squire dorms. Most of the squires were sleeping, getting as much sleep as they possibly could before their Patrons arrived to take them from the comfort of their bunk beds. Unlike most of those Squires, Crystal was wide awake. It was actually habitual as her previous occupation had her up at at the fourth or fifth bell. She tossed and turned, trying to will herself to sleep. She groaned inwardly, hoping her Patron would come soon.

Creak.

Ah, her prayers were answered. She turned over toward the door to her dorm, thankful to see her Patron standing there. The ebony nodded before her Patron headed out. After getting dressed, she donned her armor and short sword. Most likely her Patron would force her to wield a shield again. After freshening up a bit, she tiptoed out of the door.

"Let's go. We're training again today."

"Yes Sera."

----

"Faster."

Clank! Clang!

Crystal thrusted her short sword at the dummy, trying to maintain a proper speed and amount of power.

"Faster!" Again, she drew her arm back, intent on pleasing her Patron. She made a wild thrust, very weak and uneven, still not used to weight in her hand. Her Patron was drilling her in thrusts and swings, but she just wasn't getting it the way Sera Hoffman had hoped. "Squire, think of the sword as an extension of the arm."

Crystal nodded, and tried again. Draw back, thrust forward. It was a simple move, but her Patron said it required precision. Apparently Crystal wasn't performing the way Sera Hoffman was expecting. It was a bit disappointing to know she wasn't meeting her Patron's expectations. Just as she prepared to try again, her Patron stopped her by speaking.

"That's enough Squire. It seems we're being scouted."

"What?"

"Someone is examining us. Can't you feel the eyes on your back, or have you not been paying attention?" Sera Hoffman frowned, knowing the latter was probably true. Crystal sighed and began to look around. "Enough. It seems you haven't been taught to use your senses. It's something you're supposed to feel, not see."

Lifting a brow, Crystal shook her head before she realized one of the other knights, marked with a sword like her Patron, was observing her. Oh. I guess if I was paying attention I would have noticed.. Her Patron turned and signalled for Crystal to follow her.

Appearing in front of the two men, Sera Hoffman spoke as Crystal took the chance to recuperate her energy. She stood but closed her eyes as she slowed her breathing. Apparently her Patron knew the knight. "Looking for something, Ser Xervos?"

OOCYou might want to change the font you're using, it's hard to read. :)

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Have time to visit the Gardening skill?
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Words: 79860
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 14th, 2016, 3:22 am

Timestamp:

Ser Xervos started chuckling. His hearty chuckles, his jaw leved up and down. It's fluctuating movements concerned Ferrin, but it didn't matter to him either way. The Knight in a lot less of a suit of shining armor, slowly took breaths after a few moments of chuckling. Ferrin grew red in the face, and quickly looked away sheathing his blade to make things appear that he might be doing something rather important.

"Why yes, actually. And I think you've might've found it, you see?" Said the Ser with another chuckle, but he stopped now. Ferrin didn't really get why he was nearly laughing, when nothing was really funny. "Sera Hoffman, I declare our squires go up against each other. You have a newer recruit, yes that is?" Said the man with a blank stare over to Crystal. The Ser scanned her with lowered brows. He was slightly in awe of the manner of which Crystal appeared to him.

"This here, Sera Hoffman... Is my boy Ferrin. I'd like your new Squire to become acquainted with. If you don't have any doubts that is." Said the man as he laid a firm hand over Ferrins left shoulder. He of course was standing on the left side of the Kenashian. "Ser?" Asked Ferrin. "Yes? Boy, what is it?" Ferrin sighed, and the Knight released the light grip. "I know Crystal already. You don't need to make things... Er ah awkward." As Ferrin spoke he blushed a little pink, pretty sure that no one wasn't really able to hide it. Pretty sure that most people would only assume that that blush was from training hard all day.

Ser Xervos nodded. And looked back over to Crystal and Sera Hoffman. Women in shining armor. Well, almost shining armor as most of the gear hear is hand-me-downs. "So, what do you propose? Sera Hoffman."

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 14th, 2016, 10:51 pm

"A newer recruit yes, and easier opponent no." Sera Hoffman said simply. Crystal looked at her Patron but paid no attention to the other squire, so she had not yet recognized Ferrin. Sera Hoffman was implying that she might best the other Squire despite being new to the Order, and that startled Crystal. After all, she could barely wield her shield and sword, much less on a moving target. She stayed silent on this however.

Sera Hoffman observed Ferrin from head to toe. The boy seemed modest, but ready nonetheless. Crystal however, just stayed silent until she finally looked at the squire. She grinned when noticed it was Ferrin, but stayed Silent until Sera Hoffman spoke. "They seem acquainted. I'd wager a spar would give my Squire the wake up call she needs. What I propose is this; three rounds with the aim of disarming the other, or putting them in a kill position. Are you up for it Squire?"

Crystal looked to Sera Hoffman, knowing she was giving her choice because of she didn't they'd train harder. She looked to Ferrin, observing, maybe even tying to calculate her chances of winning. Her first thought was that Ferrin had trained far more than she had with sword and shield, but she wagered the least she could do was put up a good fight.

"Yes Sera, I'm ready." Crystal announced. She raised her brow and smirked, looking to Ferrin in challenge. She stayed quiet other then that though. Afterwards she looked to her Patron, who nodded and looked back to See Xervos expectantly.

Crystal walked off to the weapons rack and grabbed a heater shield from it. Putting her arm through the braver, she lifted her arm and lowered it in an attempt to gauge the weight. As her Patron spoke to Ser Xervos, she began to swing the shield lightly, trying to get used to the weight before heading back. When both Patrons were finished, Crystal stepped forward. "Your move Ferrin."

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 15th, 2016, 12:29 am

Timestamp:

"Ah, I can see that now. I think I've seen your squire around at one point in time or another. To bad that you haven't had her as long as I had Ferrin here." Ser Xervos responded with a comical chuckle. Ferrin assumed that Sera Hoffman was only taunting and teasing Ferrin. For all he new, she might be praising him, but that was highly unlikely.

Ferrin stayed quiet as Sera Hoffman and Ser Xervos exchanged words. It was mostly, just conversation across the Training Grounds. No action was really accompanying this part of the training.

"They seem acquainted. I'd wager a spar would give my Squire the wake up call she needs. What I propose is this; three rounds with the aim of disarming the other, or putting them in a kill position. Are you up for it Squire?" Sera Hoffman replied. After she observed Ferrin.

"Yes, I think that would suffice I wager my spare Mizas that I carry around that my Squire would dominant." Boasted the Knight as he observed Crystal for himself. "Your squire, she has a nice fit for acting and stage things."Teased the Knight.

"Ferrin get into your stance and we can work on your combat throughout the battle."

"Yes Ser." Said Ferrin in a merely lesser manner of excitement than he should. Ferrin got ready, and Crystal wanted him to make the first move. The arena was of the simple arena. One not like the different micro versions of certain geographical areas. "Sure."

Ferrin poised his blade at Crystal, stepped aback a few steps and thrusts his blade forward. If crystal deflected, he would then take an attempt to swipe under her feet. Then, he'd retack his steps and follow through with a defensive position, the shield guarding his abode. Ready to deflect whatever Crystal may strike with.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 15th, 2016, 1:22 am

"Crystal, keep your guard up. I want to see how well you use your sense in this spar." Sera Hoffman barked, her tone telling of training beyond belief should Crystal lose. She made sure to watch Ferrin's movement carefully. He thrusted his blade forward, his shield moving to cover his body. If she was right, he would hope to defend after his strike by his shield position.

Instead of blocking with her shield, Crystal took her short sword and swiped Ferrin's sword aside, hopefully knocking it from his hand. She would then draw in her shield, taking a step out and back to circle around the man. She refused to lose with Sera Hoffman watching, but she knew she was overmatched in strength.

She wasn't used to the weight of her shield which made her movements slower, sluggish even. She made it behind Ferrin, and tucked her shield into her torso before swinging up and racing down over Ferrin's head. She put power into the strike, but it was shaky, and if dodged her momentum would be hard to fight against.

"Squire, power isn't needed to do damage! Keep those strikes light!" Sera Hoffman barked. Crystal could tell her Patron was annoyed, but she tried her best to focus on the spar at hand, while still listening to the advice. Light strikes, strength isn't required with a sharp edge.

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 15th, 2016, 2:15 am

Timestamp:

Ferrin had seen her fast feet move behind him. Ferrin turned as fast as he could. Though, he would've been faster without the armor bearing him down. Ferrin took his shield and blocked the vertical swipe that Crystal aimed for his head and pushed her short sword out of the way. "Swing Ferrin. Keep your feet jumping. You don't want to tire to easily." Barked Ser Xervos with eagerness as he paced around the arena.

Ferrin nodded. He wasn't watching his patron, it would be a distraction. One that Ferrin can't afford to lose. He doesn't like to be defeated. Especially when it's training. He wants to be able to defeat anyone who could be more challenging than him. Competition. He wants to eliminate his competition. That's what he wants to do.

Ferrin used his shortened broadsword and pulled his shield back towards his torso. The heater shield pressed against his arm. It was lighter than most shields, but it still carried more weight than not having one. Ferrin would attempt to loosen the grip from Crystals hand with his own blade as it would make contact when he strikes. Then Ferrin would attempt to circle the blade around, hoping to disarm her. And he would push it away with his feet. So that Crystal wouldn't be able to pick it up with such speed.

If disarming Crystal failed in any way, Ferrin would circle Crystal with speed. And swipe his blade under her feet. Hoping to trip her up. Maybe even have the blade skid. But even if that fails he'll resort back to his defensive position and keep an even more keen eye on Crystals movements. Watching her every move.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 15th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Crystal didn't expect for Ferrin to move so quickly, but she realized he had been training much more have she had. Her shirt sword bounced off of the other Squire's shield, the vibration numbing her arm and causing her to since and withdraw. Thankfully she missed the swing Ferrin threw at her, but didn't see his sword coming for her until the last minute. She fell back in an attempt to get away. When on the ground she immediately rolled away, getting up as quickly as she had fallen as to not be put in a kill hold.

"Do NOT withdraw Squire, I want to see you alert from now on!" Sera Hoffman growled, annoyed that Crystal had once again ignored her surroundings. Nodding, she focused her Attention on Ferrin. If she had been a moment later, he could have cut or straddled her for the match. She needed to stay attentive.

Circling slowly, she once again stood in front of the man. She charged forward, shield out. From there she would swipe with her shield, knocking Ferrin's own away, and position her blade for a quick thrust. Should that fail she would be open for a killing position, but if it worked she'd aim for the neck, stopping just before the blade would pierce his flesh.

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 20th, 2016, 2:32 am

Timestamp:

Ferrin grew unaware of the charge as Crystal charged. It was almost the same move that Samuel Longwell pulled not too long ago when the Kenashian went up against him for a spar. Yet, he still fell for it and was caught unguarded. Crystal managed to pry the shield off of his wrist, though Ferrin waited for the strike as the heater shield half glided and half clinked along the ground. Ferrin parried the thrust as he was taught to. The vibration echoed through his body like someone shaking him lightly, but he felt it in every part of his body.

He wasn't expecting Crystal to be this strong. He gave her the benefit of the doubt. He was really unsure of what would happen when he sparred against Crystal. It truly was a mystery to be solved. Ferrin wasn't going to lose. He yearned to win. He wanted to show his uncle what he can do. He needed to show him that he was strong, courageous, and brave. Even justifiable. Justice was his virtue. He plans on serving it as a side after he wins.

He must.

As Ferrin parried he took a quick glance back at his shield and watched the last ticks as it glided against the floor. Ferrin wasn't to tired yet. In fact, the adrenaline was coursing through him as if he were drinking the energy. He needed it to.

Ferrin used his shortened broadsword and thrusts below Crystals waist. Only to throw her off balance. He would swipe across, making contact with her short sword. Then, he would then attempt to disarm Crystal by using enough force to contribute his strength to a win. If that failed however, he would revert with using both hands holding the hilt of the blade to position himself into a more defensive state. As he only has the blade at the moment.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on September 6th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Crystal almost let out a sigh of relief when Ferrin's shield clattered to the ground. She smirked as she went in for the thrust, thinking that she could disarm the other squire quickly. Just as she closed in, Ferrin redirected the blow, shifting her momentum. Her speed against her, she continued forward as she had lost her footing. Ferrin then knocked the blade from her hands as she fell.

Now on the ground, without a weapon, Crystal accepted her loss. Besides, getting upset here wouldn't save her from what was to come from her patron. She furrowed her brows and sighed in irritation. "Nice job Ferrin."

She had tried her best to sound congratulatory, but it was filled more with irritation. It wasn't Ferrin that had irritated her, no, it was herself. Picking herself off the ground, she walked to her Patron to listen to her input. The look in Sera Hoffman's eye told her all she needed to know.

She sighed knowing she would be woken early tomorrow for extra training. She nodded and grabbed the sword she had left before turning to Ferrin. "Thanks for the spar, next time I won't lose."

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes