Closed You Have My Sword [Alex F]

....AND MY AXE

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

You Have My Sword [Alex F]

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 12th, 2016, 4:31 pm

You Have My Sword

Date: 72nd Fall, Year 516

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel flexed his left arm. He had mostly recovered from the injury, with no small help from the healers at the baths, but his shoulder still twinged occasionally. He pulled his armour on slowly, he had taken a break from more strenuous training while he recovered but it was now time to get back to it. The knight hoped to spar with someone at the training grounds, but he would just train against a dummy if need be. Samuel shivered as he stepped out into the fog, the memories of his fight with the creature from the fog were still raw in his mind. He walked quickly to the training grounds, not quite hurrying but the knight clearly didn't want to dawdle. Once he arrived he began his training with his usual run round the edge of the training grounds. His body was stiff, but started to loosen up as he jogged round the border. The training grounds were busy, the recent events in the city meant everyone was training hard. As Samuel's eyes roved over the training grounds it seemed that everyone had already paired up to spar. He finished the run with his typical sprint, arms pumping to propel himself forward. He slid to a halt, breathing heavily. His fitness was improving, something Samuel noticed with a grin.

Drawing his blade, Samuel stood facing the training dummy he had stopped by. He focused on some simple strikes with his longsword, continuing to warm up. He didn't want to rush his arm so he focused on keeping his movements smooth. Chips flew as his blade struck home again and again. Once he felt he was warmed up he picked up his shield. He gently struck at the dummy with his shield, feeling the vibrations run through his arm. As it seemed to feel fine he started to speed up, striking with both blade and board. He still wasn't training at full speed, but it got his heart pumping and his temperature up. A slight sheen of sweat started to cover his forehead, so he decided to take a small break.
Last edited by Samuel Longwell on September 18th, 2016, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 12th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Monsters, madness and mist. The three M’s that had been plaguing the city since Alex’s return to it. An early morning patrol often coupled his usual starts to the day now. Three hours before breakfast was doled out Alex often went off on an early morning run like he’d been beaten into doing. And then a short three hour patrol after, only took him up to the tenth bell of the day. Alex stepped up the stairs slowly. Ascending into the training grounds from below. Adorned with enough weaponry to make most people wonder if he could actually use them. Those close to him knew that he had some knowledge of every weapon which hung off of him.

He needed to get better, a brief incursion into Kenash had left him behind on his training. Almost a full season not following his regular schedule was something he’d taken in stride and now needed to get back to normal. Still he now strode into the training grounds and spotted someone he knew. It was good to see that he wasn’t injured or at least it was on its way to healing. Alex stepped forwards closing the distance with a strong stride.
“Good to see you’re well again Ser!” Alex called out with a light tone as usual but loud enough to be heard over the clamour which was the training grounds. “Ser I apologise for my actions with the…Whatever it was…I just couldn’t back down when I thought it would harm someone.” Alex’s hands rested on the pommels of his two bastard swords. A rather glum look on his face more for knowing that his actions may have directly lead to Ser Longwell’s injury. Does he hold it against me? Why wouldn’t he? I mean I directly made a call over a superior and pushed into a dangerous situation which we could have withdrawn from…

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 12th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

After the quick rest Samuel stepped back to the dummy and began again. Longsword swinging high and low, reinforcing his proficiency with the blade through repetition and practise. He was just about to begin adding in the shield again when a familiar voice called out to him. Samuel looked up to spot Alex walking towards him. Samuel looked confused for a moment at Alex's apology then burst out laughing. “What are you apologising for lad?” Samuel asked, still chuckling. “What you did was brave. The right thing to do. Whatever it was had violence in its eyes, if you hadn't attacked either it or I would have.” Samuel reached out with his hand for Alex to shake. “I'm just glad you had the strength to finish the thing off.” Samuel said with a grin, “I'm pretty sure you saved my life and I won't forget that.” The tall knight meant it sincerely, the squire had seriously impressed him earlier in the season.

Samuel turned to gesture at the dummy. “I'm just starting to get back to training after that... little incident in the fog.” Samuel said, “I don't know if you'd fancy having a spar? Just don't go full on as I'm still feeling a little tender.” Samuel calling it the incident was intentional, Alex seemed to feel some kind of guilt about what had happened to Samuel. The knight therefore hoped to set the squire at ease by joking lightly about it. Samuel grabbed his shield and moved to stand in position, preparing himself for the spar. He nodded to the younger man to let him know that he was ready then watched for his opponent's first move. Although he'd seen Alex fight before, Samuel had been more concerned with not dying so hadn't noticed much about the squire's style. It didn't help that the younger man carried around a full armoury with him, so he could probably choose his weapons to get the biggest advantage.
Last edited by Samuel Longwell on February 10th, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 13th, 2016, 1:52 am

Being told that it was the right choice lightened the burden on him a little. At least he wasn’t indecisive. As for the comment about saving his life Alex brushed that off.
“Don’t worry about that.” A multitude of things he wanted to say to carry over it. But he couldn’t grasp the right words. However the ask to spar was something that Alex hadn’t fully anticipated. Though the request to hold back a little wasn’t something Alex had expected from a knight. Most even when they knew he was injured still fought at him full force. Though being fair most of them were the ones who injured him. Sam had taken a rather harsh blow from a much bigger foe.

“Sure I could do that, I’ve been meaning to practice this style a little more to be honest. So don’t worry about me going too hard as I’m still not too fluent.” Alex smiled lightly allowing Sam to slip into his stance smoothly. As he did so Alex’s arms reached across his body drawing both of his bastard swords simultaneously. A weighty good sized blade in each hand he Held his left hand out with the blade horizontally across him the other his right hand lower with the point towards Samuel. Against a blade and shield Alex was at a slight disadvantage however he did now possess a slight reach advantage. Both he and Samuel stood at the same head height and the same overall reach. However from Alex’s knowledge turtling up behind a shield oft limited ones reach by sacrificing it for protection.

Now Alex didn’t hold back as much as he possibly should have. At least where speed was concerned. Alex bolted closer, practiced footwork and the running technique that Imass had shown him coming into practice. He closed the distance suddenly and without warning swinging his left blade out in a broad horizontal strike. His right hand swinging low and aiming towards Samuels left leg. A short burst but enough to let Sam know he wasn’t going to go to his full but he wasn’t going to go easy either.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 13th, 2016, 11:55 am

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel watched as the squire drew the twin bastard swords, considering the choice his opponent had made. The blades were a little longer than Samuel's longsword, able to be wielded with two hands as well as just one. But that flexibility meant that bastard swords excelled at neither role. Samuel considered his options of how to approach the fight. He knew that Alex would be significantly more vulnerable on his left hand side as opposed to if the squire was using a shield. The knight intended to test that area whenever the younger man struck with his left sword, hopefully with persistence he'd be able to find an opening. Patience and caution would serve Samuel well in this fight, and so he waited for his opponent to strike.

He didn't have to wait long. Alex dashed forwards, blades in motion. Samuel brought up his shield to block the leading blow from his opponents left blade, simultaneously stabbing at his opponents exposed side. However the squire's second blade found its mark, clashing against Samuel's greaves. The vibrations rippled through his leg but Samuel pressed on, pushing the pain from his mind. Stepping forward he shoved with his shield, hoping to force Alex back. His blade again snaked out from behind his shield to stab without exposing himself to an easy counter attack. Samuel focused on keeping his defences tight, with the intent to make Alex work hard to circumvent them. In doing so the squire may make a critical error that would allow Samuel to finish the fight. There was no guarantee of such a mistake, but the squire had hinted that he was unused to fighting with two blades so Samuel was hopeful.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 13th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Moving both of his arms in simultaneous action wasn’t something he was fully akin to doing as such it felt mostly awkward when up against a well skilled and well armoured target. Instead of coming to meet him like Garland oft did in this instance Samuel hunkered down. Turning his defences even more solid. It made a stark difference fighting those with more combat experience than himself. This also told him why he’d been injured against that beast. Defence was all well and good but when the opponent isn’t something that can have it’s strength gauged quickly. That was why Samuel was injured but now that defence even the strike he’d managed to get to the leg felt like he was striking a block of iron with a twig.

As Alex’s left arm shook from the heavy impact and the lack of practice holding a blade, he motioned to step back as he did a blade came shooting out from behind the solid steelwork. The blade caught his chest plate and scraped along it adding another new scratch to the already on its last legs armour Alex wore. Though Alex had taken the attack and possibly a quite nasty one had it not been for the armour Alex took hold of an opportunity that Sam had presented. Alex brought his right arm up from below using Samuel’s own shield to help block the view of the blade. His target for that was the wrist of his opponent trying to disarm him briefly and open up another avenue of attack. His Left blade in the same motion came over from above aiming towards Samuel’s now exposed flank. Attempting to force Sam to choose to hang onto his blade and take the hit or to let the blade go and block the strike with the shield.

Despite the intensity of the training Alex was doing his usual, taking every opportunity to exploit his own knowledge to get the better. Two blades were better than one for the reason of having two points of attack. However he’d noted that his opponent was grounded in waiting for an attack to come rather than pressing the advantage he already had. Something Alex always had to do, press any small advantage and try and turn it into a large one.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 14th, 2016, 10:53 am

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel's opportunistic strike struck true, scraping along Alex's breastplate loudly. Samuel smiled, it was a good strike that would have finished a less armoured opponent. The moment of triumph was short lived however, as Alex's blades pincered in from above and below. Samuel stepped in quickly, trying to trap Alex's right arm mid swing with his shield. The move thwarted the disarming attempt, but left him exposed to the blade arcing down from above. Samuel twisted his arm up, barely managing to deflect Alex's strike with his own blade. The force of the blow loosened his grip on his blade, but the knight held on. Samuel realised suddenly he was at a major disadvantage. Off balance and within his opponents reach, he needed to do something to even the playing field. Something unexpected. Going on the offensive might be the correct decision. Samuel hoped that the change in tactic would surprise Alex.

Samuel dropped his weight, falling to one knee. He brought his shield down hard towards the squire's foot. He pushed off the ground, shield driving towards his opponents torso. Once standing the knight slashed with his sword. His blade swung towards Alex's left wrist, his own disarming attempt in progress. The sudden aggression was calculated, unpredictability was often a powerful tool to try and win a fight. Samuel hoped that his plan would pay off. If not he would attempt to step away in order to give himself some more room.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 14th, 2016, 10:52 pm

The strikes were unfocused and unpractised but sometimes that was enough. Sometimes. This was not one of those times. His control over an individual blade was above par, however with two it felt awkward and a little front heavy. His first blade felt the impact of the shield he was trying to use to mask the strike collide with the guard. Halting the swing before it really came into effect, however his second blade found purchase against the blade of Samuel. The steel greeting the steel with a hard sparking connection.

Defence when well practiced was a very volatile thing. Here it was extremely well practiced and extremely well grounded. However a well-grounded defence which could be shaken by sheer pressure was not something that Alex had a problem dealing with. Seeing the Knight’s centre of mass shifting Alex took a half step back instinctively to grant himself room to swing his right blade. Thankfully he had as the sudden change in height told Alex of a forthcoming shield bash. A move Alex liked and Imass liked using on him. Alex slid his foot fully back and crouched a little in the midst, Letting his torso take the full brunt of the impact and then using his legs to spring back lessened the blunt force. Sliding his feet back and gritting his teeth letting the shifting sand carry his weight.

As sudden as the strike was the follow up slash was something Alex was almost waiting for. Shield to open up and then a sword swing. Perfect form often followed a perfect pattern. And that made for a perfect opportunity. Alex side stepped the balde still trying to suck another breath down after the resounding impact of the shield. His right hand now moving to tuck in behind the sword and put extra pressure on the swing, attempting to pull the blade and its owner further forwards and further off balance. The tip of the sword aimed squarely at the shield to try and jam it flat against Samuel’s chest to allow his second move. His left blade came across again but instead of a side strike this time it was aimed at the elbow joint, instead of aiming to damage he was hoping to hyper extend the joint and force Samuel to drop his blade.

Alex was possibly one of the worst opponents for a well-trained regimental force to go up against, his sheer unpredictability and array of ingrained tactical points. In this case also he knew well the sword and shield tactics that almost every squire and knight had, had beaten into them from the day of signing up. Alex flashed a small smile, enough of one to let Samuel know to be wary of getting tangled up too close.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on September 16th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

The squire shifted his weight to absorb the force from Samuel's shield. Samuel realised his opponent was well versed in fighting knights, the shift had seemed almost instinctive. Alex had probably been on the receiving end of many shield bashes since he'd become a squire, Samuel reasoned. Perhaps there would be a way to use that to his advantage. It would be a good opportunity to practise some other techniques as well. The squire stepped to Samuel's left, his blade trying to hold Samuel's shield against his body. Samuel smirked, there was no way that was going to work. He shifted the angle of his shield, and suddenly the force the squire was applying to his shield was no longer being opposed. The squire's blade slide along the shield, throwing Alex of balance. But in his amusement Samuel had ignored the other blade. It cracked into his elbow, knocking the blade from his hand. Samuel grimaced, he was getting tired of being disarmed by squires.

As soon as he realised he'd been disarmed, Samuel brought his arm back to grab the right wrist of his opponent as the blade slid past his shield. His intention was to manoeuvre Alex so that he couldn't effective strike at the knight with his blades. Samuel placed his shield firmly on the squire's elbow and pushed. At the same time swung with his foot at the back of his opponent's knee in an attempt to knock him to the ground. Samuel hoped that even though he'd been disarmed he could still pull this back. However if this last attempt failed it seemed likely that the dual wielding squire would take the victory.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on September 16th, 2016, 10:33 pm

The attempt to pin the shield in place hadn’t worked as intended at least not fully. However the brief pin and distraction it caused was long enough for Alex to get a feel for how Samuel operated. Much like himself, fighting with his head rather than his gut. He figured this out through the strike on Samuel’s sword elbows causing him to drop the blade. A brief lapse in concentration was enough to let Alex figure this much out. Though now in its place a look of almost desperation seemed to crawl across Sam’s face. Alex’s own was still somewhat unreadable.

The attempt of Samuel to grab Alex’s wrist was one that Alex hadn’t fully foreseen. At least not that quickly. Now he was left with a dilemma. Alex’s physical strength wasn’t as high as some of the other knights around him, and most likely not as high as Samuel’s own so Alex had to improvise. Right hand gripped and disabled but luckily he still had a blade in his other hand. A push at the back of Alex’s elbow to dry and dislodge his footing. On sand this soft that worked if a little too well. Alex slid his feet to the side and aqs Sam’s leg came around to strike at his knee, the leg gave way.

Alex started to fall, and in this close that was going to be a loss very soon. Alex shifted his weight mid fall to absorb the impact on his shoulders and upper back and then with the full momentum of his body and armour attempted to wrench his arm free of Samuel’s grasp. The loud thud of impact from his back on the ground sent the sand shooting out to either side of him as he scrambled back up to his feet. A sore spot already beginning to form on his upper shoulders. Hew groaned and spotted Sam’s sword by his feet.

Slipping his toes under the blade he stabbed his left bastard sword into the ground and caught the blade before tossing it back to Samuel.
“Less interesting when your opponent can’t fight on even terms. Don’t you agree?” Alex spoke with a smile although slightly pained. He wasn’t trying to win but to get better. That was the purpose of this. The only time he ever needed to win was when his life was on the line. His hand reached down to pick up the blade again, whirling them around his arms like a windmill of edged steel. Now inviting Samuel to come back in and try out Alex’s defences. Letting the Knight test the squires form.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next