Completed Awakening

Theo discoveres old powers on his journey.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Awakening

Postby Theo Popcampio on March 14th, 2016, 2:53 am

Third of Spring, 516 AV

It was rotten, all of it. The people, the smell, the look, even the wood was wasting away. There was a dice game happening in one corner, a card game happening in another. There was a dagger in every man’s pocket; no one laughed or smiled at those tables. Theo wondered what use was a game with no fun, they certainly had not earned their money gambling on this boat.

As the boat rocked back and forth, the weak writhed on their bed sheet in sickness. Others had gone up top towards the deck for a physical release. Already there was someone sick under quarantine hidden in the depths of the ship. It was the crew’s third day at sea and the air already smelt like something other.

While the sailors gambled they bickered over the state and the future of the world, they boasted and played coy about their lives back home, they condemned others and raved of them in the same breath; they were something new and something of the same. Theo had his second guesses about coming on this trip, but there was no time or room for that now. If he tried to swim to shore it’d be a dead man’s rush; plus, he had purpose on this boat.

So Theo sat against the wall on a stool, sipping a formerly tall drink. If the stool were a man, it’d have a stub arm, one of four legs was broken in half, a testament to the crew’s care and adamant temperament. Still the stool was good enough for rocking, and it rocked in a rhythm as Theo set a pace back-and-forth, back-and-forth.

He didn’t yet feel at home, he wondered if he ever would. Everyone was so, not like what he used to. They all had free lips and spoke in ways that Theo had grown unaccustomed to in Syliras. Usually Theo was the biggest talker in the room but not now, but these guys weren’t even funny, which was to him a little funny in its own. Theo didn’t mind his circumstance, but curiosity was saving his tongue for now. How long he would refuse to speak his mind was anyone’s guess.

A man walked towards him, he was dressed in burnt leather scraps with fresh, loose stitching. His face had the look of intoxication as he stood over Theo. Theo took a look at him, and then looked over to where his eyes were previously set. The sailor had a big fat gut that rubbed against the former squire as he leaned over and grumbled, “You got any mizas for me?”.

Theo looked at the sailors fat face, one of his eyes was lazy from all the drinking he had done. Popcampio squinted at him and gave him a half smirk, pointing his thumb over his shoulder towards his cold iron blade, which had its hilt hidden underneath a burlap sack.

The scrap of a man darted his eyes from one side to another as his jaw dropped. His mouth hung for a minute in his drunk. “I’m sorry,” he said short and quiet. The fat sailor looked at Theo over his shoulder twice as he stumbled to the other side of the quarters.

It was a clear night. The sky had forgotten its clouds, and the moon was absent, but the stars were bright as could be in the first days of Spring. All that was heard was the force of the waves that calmly rocked the open Suvan Sea and its passengers. Most of the crew had chosen to get their rest below deck while the weather was calm. A half dozen sailors hung out on the deck, but they themselves were suffering from boredom and tiredness. Only the first mate had any true attention to the situation at hand, but he was a nervous fellow and dared not speak out against the sailors, even though they were his inferiors. On the midship, below all of them, Theo practiced on a leftover wooden dummy.

Left, right, up, down A hypothetical strike came down parallel to a hypothetical guard, which was hypothetically broken by the blow. Quickly, another hypothetical foe took up a hypothetical stance and hypothetically began attacking Theo, who hypothetically countered and began walking his steps backwards before taking his slash at his hypothetically foe, who hypothetically…

“AHH!” Theo slashed the dummy parallel with long, swinging blows, knocking it down into pieces with sweeping motions. Theo couldn’t make sense of the world any longer. Who was he, why was he here?

Sighing, he began a shadow fight, he imagined it was the blonde girl who tried to take him captive in the forest. One swipe to the right was followed by another in the same direction. And then Theo was swinging without direction at air.

Your mother wouldn't approve of me.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Awakening

Postby Theo Popcampio on March 14th, 2016, 2:54 am

He was panting heavy in between the sounds of the waves, like he was panting between snow flakes in Syliras. The girl closed the distance with her gladius. Theo was left back peddling with an awkward grip; he was struggling to keep up with the blows. A kick flew from Theo’s leg, he managed to knock back his potential captor back, but he also went sliding back himself. The ice, or, in this case, the slick deck wood, made for poor footing.

Who was she? What did she want? What made Theo so important to her?

“It’s just a job, right? Haha…”

She charged in while Theo was off his balance, but she was just short of getting there on time. Theo set his feet and swept back with a heavy riposte. Theo’s attacker had to regain her composure and Theo came back with a combination strike: Once across her shoulder, another from the side, and another, the final, dealt with extra might, came from over the top. She met every blow and Theo was backpedaling again, except now the kick, which was one of Theo’s go-to moves, was out of the question.

What was it that caused her to be so driven in her anger? Why did she want Theo so badly? Why was this worth risking her life?

And then he realized: It was worth dying for. This merely happened, and now he had to make sense of it, that’s all Theo could know. Whatever motivation she had was worth paying the price in blood. That’s why she crossed the space in the face of superior weaponry. That’s why she attacked him without her magic even when realizing that Theo was ready to use his. That’s why she pushed and pushed again and choose not fall back. That’s why she fought and didn’t surrender. That’s why she died in peace without a word of opposition: She was ready for death.

A rage circulated Theo. Even though he could feel his foe’s skill he pressed her. Why was he here now on top of this salty deck? Why couldn’t he be left to live his life? Why did all of this have to happen?

A quick volley of slashes followed. It wasn’t physical energy released so much in these blows as much as it was cathartic passion. Each strike was another weight off his shoulder, another question closer to being answered. For too long Theo had been seeking answers in the quiet of his own mind.

In a flash, Theo struck diagonally close to the top of her head, she met it with a parry. Theo collected his balance and swept below at her feet. She met the blow and tried to slice Theo’s shoulder. Evading with one side, Theo tried to attack from the opposite end, but she deflected the blow just as easily as the first. The swords twisted around each other in a whirlwind of strikes.

But then Theo saw himself caught: His blade grinded against the hilt of his opponent’s and was thrown flying off to the side. The sword flew from his hand and slid across the the salty-wet boards of the ship’s deck, just as it had done on the icey snow.

“Everything happens for a reason,” A voice from the wind called.

Theo looked up, no one was there, but the words were clear as day. The wind blew by in a whisk again. Theo laid on his back looking at the sky. “What a crazy time to be me,” he thought aloud.

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Awakening

Postby Theo Popcampio on March 14th, 2016, 2:55 am

The stars were as boundless as Theo’s vision. There was more than he had thought possible.

The waves crashed just like he did on his chair: In-and-out, in-and-out. They had grown more aggressive now but remained soothing, and for a time Theo was able to pace it with his breath. It required a good deal of concentration, but Theo knew the value of concentration in a man. Just like the tide, his breaths went in-and-out, in-and-out. He rocked with the ship, Theo melted into to salt-ridden deck.

The wind howled over the sea, demanding respect and attention. Theo lifted himself up slowly and hobbled over to the sword, crouched over and went to lift it. A gust of wind blew harsh over the ship and Theo was nearly knocked off his balance. Shuffling to keep sturdy footing, Theo locked in place as the wind refused to dissipate.

The wind kept on howling, flowing harshly focused around the ship, around Theo. The former squire couldn’t hear himself think over the sound of the wind. Theo looked up at the sail and realized that the sail had not moved one bit. The other sailors were still fast asleep, the first mate was well on his way there as well. It felt like the wind was trying to break him, like it was trying to control young Theo. It was trying to take him.

Theo buckled his feet tight to the boards and began to go prone, but then he felt a tingling come from his hands. A sublime warmth and tingling spread from his hands to his whole body, and soon Theo’s was shaking in a surreal vibration. Theo stood up and his mind steadily ignored the oppressive winds.

He was still unable to think, but Theo’s focus was now wholly there. There res began to pool in a thick gel over Theo’s open hands. His res came quicker than he had ever experienced. The glowing green flowed freely as it collected in a growing part of the air that was now untarnished by the harsh winds. Res twisted and curled from his palms into one ball. the act was seamless, Theo was merely watching it happen.

And then with big hands pointed towards the air, Theo held the a great ball of green gel over his head. The wind once again hissed in his ears and howled greatly over Theo, challenging him. It called him. Looking up, Theo concentrated on the glowing green ball hanging over him and forced the whole of the resin out in a flat plane. As Theo pushed out the res converted into a force of wind and created a hole in the air flow. Theo pushed more and more outward with the wind, creating an eye in the storm.

As the res dissipated the wind stopped pushing. Lovely silence came over the ship. Even the waves stopped for a moment.

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Awakening

Postby Theo Popcampio on March 14th, 2016, 2:56 am

Popcampio was looking at his hands, gasping. Slowly a smile came over his face as he looked at the palms that had leaked the res. Soon he found himself laughing hysterically. He fell to his knees he was laughing so hard.

Carefully Theo calmed himself down. “That was a rush!” He said, laughing once more Theo had never commanded the air as a reimancy force. He heard of it from other reimancers, but it was understood that mastery of the different elements came with time, that each element had to be learned on it’s own and paid studious attention. The process was supposed to be unique, one others had told him could not be explained by simple words. They couldn’t have been more right.

“I have to feel that again!” Theo said. Hearing his own words harkened him back to thoughts of overgiving. Boisterous thoughts, demands for power were both signs of someone on the verge of overgiving. But Theo was Theo, and he searched his heart for a while. He felt no lust for power, he was just being, well… himself.

The wind had come back, this time calmer, and it pushed the kersha kindly across the rocking waves. Theo tried to control the res, tried to feel his djed drain from his body and pool in the physical world. A bluish colored airy substance held in front of him, Theo looked at it as he would look at a mirror: Scrutinizingly. It leeched from him, and slowly Theo turned the now gaseous djed into a wind and pushed it towards the sail.

The glowing blue dissipated as it turned into wind and pushed the sail in the direction where the ship was already heading. Theo could feel the ship accelerate under his feet, albeit slowly. He looked around the deck to see if anyone was paying attention, being caught would not be a good look for him, even though in his mind he was doing the crew a favor. Across the length of the ship there were a couple of hands who had dozed off entirely. Looking across the rear of the ship, the only other man was the first mate, who had finally taken a snooze himself. While he was not actually alone, Theo was certainly the only one within his own mind out on the deck.

Theo smirked to himself as he began turning his res flow on and off, speeding up and slowing down the boat. The artificial rocking seemed to jostle his companions. Drunk and tired, they did not wake as Theo rocked the boat. One waved his hands over the bow of the boat and lifted his head up. Theo stopped nervously in his tracks, but then the man put his head back into the wood that held his head up.

Theo tossed the rest of his res overboard.

This is awesome, he thought. I didn’t think any of those old heads had any good in their words, I guess they finally turned out to be good for something. But deep in Theo’s mind he questioned whether he had learned something new, or if this was something he had already known, a reminder of sorts. It felt so familiar, playing with the wind. The wind had called to him, demanded his attention. There is something more at stake here.

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Awakening

Postby Theo Popcampio on March 14th, 2016, 2:57 am

The former squire turned his face up to the sky and sighed. It wasn’t going to be settled tonight. Realizing this, Theo went off to bed. He walked his way towards the stairwell towards the lower deck of the ship. A step down the way Theo, stopped, looking back at the sails.

“One more time, for fun.”

Theo felt a little tired from his djed usage, but he knew he had a little more in him. He stood there for a second staring at the moonless, glittering sky. A smile came over his face as he took a deep breath in.

“Lester would be so proud.” Theo laughed to himself. Djed poured from his self into the air in front of him taking the same vague gassy air form. It was vaguely blue and he played with the density as he poured it out. It was almost invisible as it was spread thinly across the air but it was a misty off blue clearly seen as Theo condensed. Slowly the density grew more and more as Theo poured more and more of himself into the gas.

When the amount was a good sized, comparable to the one he had made a few moments prior, Theo flung the blue haze quickly at the top sail. As it exited what Theo could feel was his reach he turned it into the wind. The sail caught the wind, looking as though it was going to tear for a second, but the sail held its own. The air felt like it was out from under Theo’s feet for a second, and then he could hear a huge splash at the front of the boat.

Theo’s legs wobbled as the ship came down, his center of gravity slipped out and he fell backwards and caught himself. Correcting himself, Theo looked around and saw no eyes on himself.

Theo was laughing to himself as he headed back for the lower deck. As he was heading down the first-mate stopped him, looking down from the top of another set of stairs above deck.

“Hey,” he said. “Did you feel that?”

“What do you mean?” Theo replied.

“Nothing.” The first mate said, looking bewildered. “Hey, you’re that new sword on the deck.”

Theo did not like being referred to like he was some hand for hire. “Yeah.”

“Hey, I know you’re new here, but what do you think of the captain?”

Theo looked at him crooked. “Haven’t met the man, he seems too busy to talk to me.”

The sailor smiled. “Yeah, sounds like him. Well you don’t know him like how I know him, like how we know him. Can you keep a secret?” The first mate squinted at Theo, who squinted back at him. “I trust you can, you got sure eyes. Listen, a lot of guys around here aren’t confident in his leadership, follow me? I’m just saying, keep your ears out. Wouldn’t want you to be caught off guard.” The man turned around and took a step up the post before looking back at Theo. “I hope you’ll do the right thing.”

Theo chaffed at him and headed for some well-needed rest, the sailor was far too green to be speaking anything worth merit.

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Awakening

Postby Karin on September 20th, 2016, 10:34 am

XP Award!

Name: Theo

XP Award:
  • Observation: +2
  • Intimidation: +1
  • Weapon: Longsword: +2
  • Reimancy: +3
Lore:
  • A fish out of water, in water
  • Intimidation: Showing a half-concealed weapon
  • Longsword: Techniques for practicing on a dummy
  • Longsword: Remembering an attack as a means of training
  • Remembering that day on the ice
  • Reimancy: Creating an absence of wind
  • Reimancy: Pushing sails
  • Rumor: About the captain…

Notes:
I guessed that the weapon you were using was a longsword, but if not then just PM and I’ll change it.
Next time, I’d like to see you find something like this a little more difficult, especially as it was Theo’s first time with that type of reimancy. Even if it’s just in how he moves the res around, or what the speed is. Maybe even just making sure that you write a little mistake in. Unless I’ve looked at it wrong, in which case never mind. :)
Also, I really enjoyed grading that thread! I found your writing to be very immersive, and I always enjoy stories on ships. Theo seems quite the curious spirit.

Additional Comments: Please make sure to edit your grade request to show it's been graded. Also I'm aware that you may have finished your job threads for Spring but that your wages haven't been awarded yet. Please make sure that once they're awarded, that you show it on your ledger and pay your seasonal expenses then. :)

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)