[The Pits] Mid Fall Training (Kos)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 25th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Timestamp: 50th of Winter

Through all of the hard work that Ferrin pits into his training, one could call him a workaholic ever since he became a Squire a few seasons a go. Ferrin busted his arse off to become a Knight, and that's what he's going to do, though he's not so sure what to do when he becomes a Knight. In fact, maybe he should ask someone about what a Knight really does when they get sired. He figured that they would talk to the Windoak like Ser Xervos informed in the summer, but he was nervous- just thinking about the Windoak made him nervous. Of course it should be nerve-racking, you never know what kind of quest you'll be having right? Ferrin just hoped he could still see his family and be alive during that quest. He wondered how long it would take him to become a Knight. A few seasons maybe, perhaps a few years.

Ferrin scoffed at the thought.

A few more years of training to become a Knight, the squire was astonished by that. He needs to get back to training if he ever wanted to get any better.

He felt the need to take his training to an extra level. Something... more exotic. He needed the extra practice, and practice is always good to have, especially if you need to be good at something.

So... he felt that The Pits were the best option. Ferrin hadn't wanted to battle against bandits alone...

Eventually, the squire made his way to the Pits, bearing some plate armor, a shield, and a shortened broadsword, which was named Clivath made from the Mythryn Outpost blacksmith himself.

Slowly, he made way through the entrance of the Pits, kicking up dirt just slightly. It was quite foggy still, and the fog seemed to be getting thicker as the days went on. The Squire was eager for it to evaporate. Soon, he was hoping, and yet he wondered when it would actually leave Syliras.

Ferrin noticed a young man like himself, training against a sparing dummy. The squire was glad that their were at least a dozen people here that he could train from especially with this fog being here; things were getting difficult, probably not just for Ferrin, but for other people as well.

"Hey, wondering if you feel like sparring?" Ferrin asked as he eyed the man cordially, waiting for the man to respond, he didn't know what else to do, and he didn't feel like sparing against a dummy by himself, when he's already been doing it for a few seasons.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clemens Kos on November 30th, 2016, 10:24 am

If he was to be fully honest, Kos would describe himself as everything but a morning person. He liked staying inside, under the sheets, and not walk out into the cold morning air. Yet, time and time again, he'd prove himself wrong. With all that was happening around in his life, he didn't really want to be all that comfortable. Funnily enough, he didn't really feel all that cold. After repeating several motions time and time again, his own body felt quite warm. His breath jumping somehow, and he could even feel his heart beat against his leather jacket. Sweat was running down his forehead, giving away the man was here for a while now. He was quite an odd sight, really. His hair was completely shaven on one side of his head, where the other side had his hair reach down to his shoulders, hiding pretty much the other half of his head, and only offer a faint glimpse of what was hiding underneath with a quick motion he did. And as he did so, one could easily see Kos was missing an ear underneath the messy bundle one could call hair. But he didn't seem to mind. Not anymore, at least. And with that, he'd allow his muscles to tense up once more, delivering a swing into the dummy, his halberd running itself into the target, and causing Kos to sigh, hunching over.

He wouldn't stay like that forever, though. He heard something akin to words coming his way. And more as he listened to them, more did they seem like a sentence being spoken quite near to him. He'd pull the axe-head from the dummy first, before turning around. His back straightened, and the masked front of the human was revealed, covering his face. The other notable feature on his face was his nose, which looked like it was already broken several times, and presented the squire with quite a unpleasant look as a whole of the man, who allowed his one visible green eye look over the plated squire in silence. Kos himself hummed under the leather covering his face, allowing a slight muffled sound to escape from him. Another armored man asking for a spar. Either the people in the Pits somehow got a lot more money to afford more armor, or Kos was simply lagging behind. Be it as it is, fighting a real opponent was always better than fighting a dummy, so Kos really had no reason to refuse. He met a lot of interesting people this way, and even some really crazy ones. But if there was one thing in common for all of them, is that they have showed Kos that he still has a long way to go.

"I guess." He replied, offering a nod to the squire, before slowly moving away to the side.. His new partner would easily realize that Kos himself wasn't much of a talker, and with a single nod, he'd roll his shoulder, and grab hold of his weapon with his right hand. Using it much like a walking stick, he'd distance himself somewhat from the man, before turning around. His voice might of been indifferent, but his actions spoke of an eagerness to fight. He didn't lose a lot of time talking, because frankly, he simply was bad at it. So, instead, he much rather waited for the squire to do a response to his agreement, fixing the vambrace of on right wrist in place, and refastening the straps of the only piece of armor he actually wore.
Clemens Kos
Player

Words: 131697
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2014, 4:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 30th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Timestamp:

Out of the last few seasons, Ferrin had encountered many different people, those people were of course all different. Though, not as different as this man here, the one with the dark hair like Ferrin's, but his hair wasn't as clean looking as Clemens was. Once the man agreed Ferrin nodded, and was merely excited, though, he hadn't shown it too much. He was glad that he was getting a change of pace for once. The Squire unsheathed his shortened broadsword: Clivath, and grasped it firmly around the hilt, the leather wrappings made it feel comfortable, and the steel around the hilt didn't bother him as much with it strapped around. Even in this cold like weather.

"Alright."Ferrin spoke in a monotone, the Squire took his usual stance, one foot in front of the other, his shortened broadsword slid outward as if he was ready to fence. It was similar to fencing, though, he was sparring with a broadsword nonetheless, despite it's size. He held his shield with his other hand.

Ferrin waited. "I'm Ferrin, by the way."Said the squire before the spar ensured. Once Kos was ready, Ferrin adjusted his hold on the blade.

Ferrin made note of the only piece of armor on his wrist, Ferrin felt more protected and secure with his plate armor. He should go easy on Kos and make sure to not hurt him seriously.

The Squire made the first move and without warning, he made a nice clean stroke diagonally over his right side, shuffling his feet forward. The squire pulled back and thrusts his blade aiming low, slowly. Ferrin pulled back and readied himself in a defensive position. Swing, pull back, and thrust: a not too tactical strategy, but basic.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clemens Kos on November 30th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Kos' eyes ran over the man in front of him. He was wearing a full set of armor, together with a shield. This can get quite tricky, since there are very few spots he could target, and if his own weapon clashes with a shield, the squire would have quite an easy counterattack with him being open and what not. He had to make sure to keep his distance, and use his reach to his advantage, then if he'd get any closer, things could get dirty. He wondered, though, if getting himself some armor as well would be a good idea, but seeing how he liked to be fast, and made most of his attacks based on speed and precision, he really didn't think that was such a good idea, after all. If not else, he could always try to tire him out, even though the squire looked quite comfortable where he was now. For a moment, the man tried to regain his breath, and bend his knees somewhat. Luckily for him, he was already warmed up from his previous practice, so he could go all in at any moment's notice, and try to overwhelm the man. Even though not exactly the world's most renown fighter, Kos himself knew that if he failed and missed his chance, this little fight would be over. A heavy exhale followed.

"Name's Kos." He answered to complete the small little formalities that the squire started, offering his name and he knew to offer it back to him without a second thought. He was over this thing, already. His name is nothing but a word people call him by, so offering it to someone shouldn't mean much. It has no value on it's own, and he was sure many in the city knew of this Kos creep. Funnily enough, he never thought about how his appearance would be so off, that he'd become somewhat known around. Might not be prowess that made him recognizable, but at least it was something. He spent most of his time here int he Pits, anyways. And even though most of his fights didn't go his way in the past, he was at least trying to better himself. And even though faint, he felt like he was getting better. Bit by bit. And he was willing to show off what he learned from the past. And there was his chance already. The armored squire decided to take the first move, moving closer towards him, and offering a few basic swings at him. He felt like he was being tested, so Ferrin knew where Kos was standing. An interesting first opening, to say the least, but at least he didn't go all in on the first go, and going so far to underestimate the halberd wearing mercenary.

Kos didn't really want to stay stationary for too long. His feet dragged across the ground, moving back with each step that Ferrin did too much. He tried and keep his distance for now, making sure the man was swinging in the air in front of him, as he himself begun to slowly circle the squire. His halberd turned to the side, allowing the axe-head to be pointed to the side, towards the man, and the pike on the crown of his weapon pointed into the ground in front of him. A thrust followed after he made a few steps, returning the favor and striking against his defensive stance. He didn't put too much force into it, as he was simply trying to probe the man's shield and his reflexes, before he did something bigger. He used the weapon he had to keep the man in range, making sure to lift it up if he decided to walk closer, and sweep the second part of his weapon, the axe, against him if he made a too sudden move. His only green eye focused on the man's sword.
Clemens Kos
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on December 2nd, 2016, 9:05 pm

Timestamp:

Ferrin did his best to not focus on the man's one eye, he quickly wondered what had happened, though with that one eye, his movements didn't seem to flawed. The squire was uncertain of how to play this one out; he took note of his axe, and lack of protection, versus his plate armor and shield. Ferrin had a complete advantage, as Ferrin thrusts his blade towards Kos, he shuffled back, the Squire noted that he was keeping distance- Ferrin figured that he was the one being tested on now, but he wasn't so sure. Kos seemed to be focusing on his defenses more than his offense. It slightly annoyed Ferrin, as Kos shuffled back, Ferrin scrunched his nose and blew out a sigh.

Adjusting his grip to his blade Kos countered his attack with a strike of his axe, Ferrin reacted, it wasn't smooth, he was merely a novice with his shield. The force of the axe against the shield vibrated and echoed throughout his body. Ferrin adjusted his grip on the strap of his shield, he positioned it just above hi chest, gave him enough room to at least see above the shield.

The Squire shuffled his feet a bit back some, making sure to readjust his stance. He thrusts his blade, aiming low, attempting to sweep his feet. He tried before, when he was dueling another squire way back when. Though, Ferrin was still uncertain. He didn't know how well this man fought, and he should figure that out soon. After a thrust, he swung his sword across, it made a swooshing sound as it picked up speed, his swing was swift, and not so fierce. He's pretty competent with his blade more than he is with his shield. He needs to figure out how to win over Kos.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clemens Kos on December 3rd, 2016, 12:43 pm

The man offered a shallow breath, feeling his weapon connect with the shield. He'd feel the sharp edge cutting inside, if only slightly. The feedback of his blow was apparent. His muscles tensed up as they were forced into a complete stop in just a moment, but he appreciated the steadfast defense the squire offered to him.It was quite obvious that Kos himself was at a disadvantage, but he didn't seem to mind it anymore. He lived to prove himself, and make the best out of a bad situation. Kos noticed the switch of stances in his combating partner, going in for another thrust at him, seemingly aiming much lower than before. In the little few moments he had for himself, he'd gather the strike was going towards his feet. Quite a smart move, all else considered. After all, he was unarmed, and if he'd be incapacitated, his speed would deteriorate , and he'd be unable to continue the fight even if he wanted to. His brow furrowed, and the man seemed to be almost glaring t this point. As if he'd allow something like that without offering some resistance. And offer he did.

This was one of the many reasons he loved his weapon over anything else. Even though the bladed end didn't hit with the mark, he still had a whole pole-arm's reach to work with. Suddenly, his knees lowered themselves even further down, bending to a degree where his next action wouldn't be a strain to follow through. As the squire's sword thrust low, his left hand coiled out, bringing the wooden shaft in between himself and the sharp weapon. He aimed the strike in such a way, that if he'd be successful, it would strike against the tip of the squire's sword in such a way it would distort the traveling route of the weapon, and avoid any serious injury that could happen if the thrust connected into his soft, tender and most of all, unarmored flesh. Seeing however his weapon still had momentum from the upward swing, he took the moment to press his advantage. Stepping back first to get some distance, and bringing the head of his axe further back to his side, he'd use quite some force, bring his weapon in a horizontal well telegraphed swing, using the whole reach and arch of his weapon to his advantage.

Whether he'd hit, or not, the swing he made would give him some more space to work with. He'd use that to finish his swing, and take a defensive stance of his own. The last swing was quite a strain on his muscles, and he felt the air escaping his lung in a rapid fashion. He felt he did too much to fast, and now he he needed a moment to regain his breath. Good thing he was wearing a mask, however. most of his features, together with his somewhat fatigued self was neatly hidden behind a leather patch, revealing only the almost rabid animal with a weapon in front of him. If he'd be able to keep up his charade, he might be able to appear more intimidating. That could possibly lead into the squire making a mistake he could use. But up until now, his partner's executions were on point. And that, partnered with the armor he wore made him a difficult nut to crack. He was at a loss of ideas on how to proceed next.
Clemens Kos
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on December 6th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Timestamp:

Ferrin was astonished as to how the man had countered his first thrust; when Ferrin aimed low, he was sure that he would be able to defend it, but it turned out; alas he was not successful. It wracked Ferrin's mind some, he wondered how he could manage a win, Ferrin had so many advantages against Kos, for sure, he had disadvantages, but Kos had seemingly more disadvantages than Ferrin. Though, once again, Ferrin had doubted his opponents attacks.

The squire figured that he could find his chance to strike and disarm the man, but he also didn't want to hurt the man, he wasn't a bandit in any way, Ferrin didn't have that true "fight" response when it came to basic sparring, this isn't exactly a fight to the death, or for self defense in that matter- it was merely... training.

When Ferrin thrusts his blade at first, Kos countered, he knelt down before Ferrin, and the head of his axe made contact with the joint of the blade, pushing the sword up, it distracted Ferrin, and he nearly lost balance of the sudden weight shift, though Kos then countered with another defensive strike. A swing to the side, Ferrin recovered the hold of his shortened broadsword and poised the blade down, deflecting the metal against metal, it clinked (unless Kos was aiming for Ferrins other side, he'd use his shield and recover his stance again with a defensive stance).

Well, whatever Kos was doing, it seemed to be working- it was annoying Ferrin, he wondered how long it took the man to train with that axe of his, and how hard it was to wield. The mask distracted Ferrin slightly, he wondered as to why he would wear it, not so sure why he didn't want to show his face. Plenty of scars maybe?

However, he musn't worry about that now.

The Kenashian readjusted his stance and made sure to grip on the sword tightly, though, as he came down for another thrust, his grip loosened up, he didn't want to twist his skin too bad if something were to happen. Ferrin pushed back some distance, and circled around Kos, making sure to have an advantage when he strikes.

Once Ferrin spotted a point, all his shuffling stopped, and Ferrin thrusts his shortened broadsword towards the man's axe, in hopes to disarm him.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clemens Kos on December 7th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Kos was slowly beginning to feel the weight of his weapon, seemingly becoming heavier and heavier as time went by. Specially when he had to keep it up more and more, followed by several swings to make sure he doesn't do a mistake. His feet tip toed around, making sure not to miss the armored man. His attacks seemed to work, at least somewhat. As long as he kept the onslaught of blows up, he didn't need to bother much on defense. His weapon was dangerous, that was true, but even a simple knife can be deadly if used correctly. And the man's skills were nothing to be ignored. Both with his shield, and his swordplay, he was on point, and it made it that much difficult for him to find an opening. A long sigh followed, as he found himself holding his breath in for more than needed be, trying to supply his adrenaline rushed body with more oxygen to keep going. He didn't know what to do next. The armored man had quite the stout defense prepared, and there wasn't much he could do. Well, there was one thing he could do. He knew that blunt strikes against the armor usually did more than sharp ones. But both the axe, and the pike on top were used for cutting and slashing. And if he'd try to deliver a hit with the butt of his weapon, he'd leave himself way too open.

Kos wasn't really there to deliver a swift, easy victory. He needed to practice a lot more to even get close to defeat someone who seemed to be a trained knight. But that didn't stop him from trying his best to see how far he could go. An idea sprung to mind, and he decided to follow through with it. If he'd succeed,the fight would end. And if he failed, the fight would also end, but simply the other way around. He grinned under his leather mask. A fifty fifty chance. He liked those odds. And seemingly just on queue, the armored man stepped forward into the little thought bubble Kos had prepared for him. A swing from the broadsword, aimed to disarm his weapon. And Kos went with it. More than that, he stepped forward, towards the man, and once the swing connected with the axe head, he released the halberd. But, before the weapon could even fall on the ground to make a sound, his hand moved alongside the man's weapon, trying to tightly grip his wrist, and jerk him forward. At the same time, hoping the movement was enough o drop his guard, he'd bring his foot up, trying to deliver quite a blow against the man's chest with the heel of his foot. His muscles strained, and tightened in anticipation of impact.

Kos' plan was to shuffle the knight's weight at a sudden point of time, hoping to get him off his feet and onto the ground. if he'd succeed, he'd easily be able to leap on him and pin him down to the ground, but if he failed, he'd be left open with no means of defending himself. He knew that if the battle lasted on longer, sooner or later Kos would make a mistake to cost him the fight. And he wasn't liking his chances seeing the other guy had a shield and armor. So, he decided to play the high roller. Life was all about taking chances, after all. His whole existence was way too stale for him. He wanted change. He needed it. This seemed to be a really stupid, but fun attempt at making a difference.
Clemens Kos
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on December 20th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Timestamp:

As Ferrin swung his shortened broadsword across, Kos reacted. His axe made contact with the blade, and Ferrin still figured that he was better off with that weapon. Once the two weapons made contact with each other, Kos did something that Ferrin hadn't expect. If he were planning to catch Ferrrin off guard- this move certainly had done the trick. His opponent grabbed at Ferrin's wrist after he released his axe; Kos was quick. He pulled Ferrin in, and following that pull, Ferrin was definitely surprised by the action, and next came the kick. Kos' boots made a hard impact against the metal, and Ferrin was sure that something like that kick against his chest would make his chest feel sore in the morning.

The Squire fell back, and landed on his arse. The Kenashian wasn't prepared, and just as quickly, Kos pinned him down. Ferrin's shield was digging at his waist, Ferrin released the grip, as the pain in his wrist was sudden, but he was sure that it wasn't too much.

"Okay." Ferrin breathed out, willing to lose this round. The weight of Kos exhausted Ferrin's ability to strike any longer, the armor was certainly tiring to bear. His shield slipped onto the ground, and Ferrin stood up, wiping his armor and checking to see if it were damaged, or battered.

Kos stood up, and Ferrin nodded. "Good round, I suppose you want to rest?" Asked Ferrin. He wouldn't mind another go later, but today, it was quite tiring. With a nod, Ferrin asked Kos, "You want something to eat, I'll pay?" Asked Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes