[Antinious Training Grounds] Dangerous games (Garland)

Archery is afoot.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Nayato on January 4th, 2017, 8:06 am

4th Day of Winter, 516 A.V.

For the past bell, anyone wandering the Training Yard would have heard the intense cacophony of heavy objects slamming against heavy metal. Bisecting those sounds, boisterous laughter mixed with equally playful taunting could be heard. Having been assigned a squire who'd had some skill in the use of a short bow prior to joining The Order, Ser Brimholt had come up with a particularly vicious and cunning game to take the place of normal target practice.

The fully armored knight stood at the center of one of the training Grounds mock-hallways with a raised short-bow clenched tightly in a gauntlet covered hand. Nayato stood at the opposite end of the narrow hallway, fully clad in his tattered full plate armor. The suit kept clean and well for, but lacked the fine polish of his mentor's armor; mainly because he was always ordered to shine Ser Brimholt's armor to get better acquainted with heavy armor.

Nayato lifted his own short-bow in perpetration to fire, his went without the protection of gantlets that his patron wore. Like many Chaktawe, he felt as if a piece of himself were missing if the freckles on his fingertips that allowed him to sense motion were covered. His free hand lifted to retrieved an arrow from the quiver on his back. The special game arrow had a rounded blunt tip, used to bludgeon and stun small creatures. But for a person in full plate armor, made for an absolutely great time.

"Oi, what would you say the score is?" The knight shouted from under his helmet. Nayato shrugged as his eyes glanced around, taking careful consideration of the distance between them to help him with his draw length. To much would cause his hand to shake and too little would alter his arrow speed. He lifted his arrow higher than usual, pointing the arrow at Ser Cagus's head. But that wasn't his target, he knew the trajectory would drop at his softer draw weight to hit the knight in the general area of his breast plate.

"I lost track at seventeen to eighteen in my favor." Once his firing position was set, Nayato's pinkie finger uncurled from his grip on the bow, extending towards Ser Cagus. It allowed him some extra sensory reaction time to move out of an oncoming arrow's way once he felt it enter his space. "What! I know I hit you more times than that!"
The Squire smirked under his helmet. "No, I've been counting. That is the scor..."

The knight didn't even let him finish speaking before quickly drawing an arrow and firing it at him. All Nayato did was let go of his bowstring, enjoying the twang of vibration as it lunched the projectile. Once the arrow was out of his control, Nayato made one large step to his side towards the wall. The quiver her wore grazed against the wall as he drew another arrow.

"Aye, you got me. Only a graze, but you still hit my armor."
The knight said while lifting visor of his helmet. "Point goes to you. Let's take a break, you'll need the rest for the wooping your going to get once we return to your sword lessons." The Chaktawe laughed as he put the arrow he drew away.

"You mean my daily beatings?"

Ser Cagus removed the quiver he wore, tossing it towards his Squire."No, they are lessons. After all, you are better prepared at getting slapped around than before... also swordplay. Meet me back here in three bells. And pick up those arrows." Those were the last words he said before exiting the area.

Nayato was left alone in the mock-hallway, playing a new game called 'Clean up'. Walking down the hall to go pick up the arrow he just fired.

Nayato
Embracing Eternity

Words: 146321
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 4th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Garland had found the sweet spot on the range. He found the perfect spot, the perfect way to shoot, the perfect stance. His shots were always bullseye.

Sera Catherine did not like that at all. Garland was no stranger on the field of battle, it was chaotic, it was crazy, you can't stand still like an idiot waiting for something to shoot you in the head, stab you through the gut or eviscerate you from the bowels.

Catherine sighed, she thought about what she could do to stop this bad habit before it becomes something uncontrollable. Something not like that one time Garland got ambushed by the other squires, he would end up finding a weapon he was familiar with and using that instead.

That is actually a good instinct to have, defend, run, hide, turn the tables, and if anything Garland has good instinct, but Catherine also knows it's better to be comfortable with a dozen weapons than a master with one. Take away the weapon and all you have is someone who has experience but none of the tools to use it.

She also couldn't just say to keep moving, Garland was taught better if it was as close to real combat as humanly possible. Garland was busy at the range, firing away at the target, it had become a chore, monotonous even.

It was like attack a dummy with your sword, it was good to keep yourself from getting rusty, but otherwise, it was just you swinging a sword at a piece of wood or hay.

"I've got it! A deadly obstacle course! You have to be accurate, fast, and have a good reaction! You can go, Garland. It'll be a while before I get the obstacle course set up. " With that, Catherine ran off, possibly to find someone to help her make an archery obstacle course, and to ask permission to build it.

Garland just stared as she ran off. Garland just shrugged, he was just bored with this chore more than anything else.

Garland picked up his crossbow bolts and put them back into his quiver. As he was about to return his bolts and crossbow to the armory, he happened to pass by one of the mock hallways used for training.

The hallway in question was similar to what he and Ser Samuel trained in that one time. He walked in, curious as to see if anyone was using it.

He then saw a squire and his patrol shooting arrows at each other, Garland just watched until they were finished. "Now there's an idea to make this fun..." With that Garland walked to the squire with the black eyes.

"Need help?"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nayato on March 4th, 2018, 8:23 pm

GRADE

NAYATO

Skills:
    Weapon (Shortbow): 1
    Observation: 1
    Socialization: 1

Lore:
    Shortbow: Aim big, hit big.
    Combat: Using finger air sensors in combat.
    Archery: Firing blunted game arrows.
    Shortbow: Close quarter combat archery
    Person: The face of a fellow Squire, Garland.

GARLAND
  • Cleaning: 1
Lore:
  • A deadly obstacle course to train Archery.
  • Person: The face of a fellow Squire, Nayato
Notes:
I gave you no weapons skill because. "He found the perfect spot, the perfect way to shoot, the perfect stance." Isn't possible at novice. And also you in no way described yourself preforming the action of using the weapon.

We also didn't speak each others names. So, I gave us lore of our appearances. You are also maxed out socialization and observation.

Nayato
Embracing Eternity

Words: 146321
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes