Completed A Con's Fortune [job thread]

Roselina lies about being a fortune teller, and cons people out of money

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Con's Fortune [job thread]

Postby Roselina on January 13th, 2017, 9:31 pm

85th of winter

It was early morning, and Roselina had awoke not long after sunrise. Today was a day where she would work, she had decided that she had gone long enough putting it off. Despite the awful feelings her career had been giving her lately.

Yesterday she had purchased Tarot cards, and pestered the shopkeeper for a brief explanation on them. The person had sighed at her after a while and turned to her with an annoyed stare.

"I've seen you around, and I doubt you're using these for actual fortune telling. Just read the names of the cards and you should be able to manage whatever you're pulling on people. Just keep it away from my shop."

She had gone to the bazaar , a hope to find anything out in her mind as she wondered how she was going to pull off what she had planned now. After all, she needed at least a small bit of knowledge to pass as a fortune teller.

Unfortunately, nothing could be found, and she had gone back to her apartment, deciding to try again the next day, and to find another way to do this.

Because of this, she was sat the next day, looking over the cards with a look of confusion on her face, and her back hunched as she leant over reading.

The cards were all illustrated, with colorful characters, mostly humans, but some of them sported landscapes in the background too.

Then she realised that they had labels, and began to look through them again, attempting to pay attention to every detail. Roselina was desperate to pull this off, and she looked over them with a sort of intrigue now.

Pulling out a card which featured a flamboyantly dressed man, with ostentatious and bright clothing, and blonde hair that reached his shoulders. His face was distant and lost, seemingly not paying attention to his surroundings.

In the background, there was a rocky and mountainous terrain, one that appeared to be rather dangerous. A small white dog stood beside him, standing on it's back legs.

She supposed this was quite self explanatory, maybe it represented someone being foolish? It seemed that way, but she couldn't know for sure. However the assumption seemed safe.

The next card was titled 'The lovers", it featured a man and woman, holding hands and staring into eachother's eyes. The woman wore a long gown, with short sleeves and a skirt which reached the ground, coloured a pale blue. The man wore a shirt and trousers, coloured with a light and pale blue aswell. Now she looked at it, the whole card appeared to be coloured with light pastels.

It seemed to represent a happy relationship, or a it could represent an unfortunate love life, as there was a man with an heartbroken expression in the background of the card. Perhaps it could be either way. It could be that she was able to bend the meaning to how she wanted it to go. To the meaning that best suited the con she was pulling.

"Sweet Dreams."
Last edited by Roselina on January 27th, 2017, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Words: 62756
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2016, 11:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Copper fortunes [job thread]

Postby Roselina on January 22nd, 2017, 2:36 pm

Justice, was what the next card had written under an illustration. It depicted a woman, with long blonde hair which reached her waist. She held up a long silver sword, in a way that looked like a victory stance. In the other hand she held silver scales, that were likely to symbolise justice, as the title of this card said.

The woman had a serious look on her face, her eyes cold and a visible frown on her face. She was cloaked in finery, jewellery with golds, silvers and bright gems. Behind her there was cloth draped on the wall, and she sat on a seat made of grey stone, which stood upon an equally grey floor.

This card seemed pretty self explanatory. It was likely that it meant justice had happened, or that injustice had happened. She continued examining the cards, looking at the next one on the deck.

Next, she pulled out a card that seemed to have someone fighting on it. A man was locked in combat with another, one seemingly winning, with a wicked grin on his face, his eyes full of malice. The other was struggling, desperately blocking a hit from the other, his eyes looking terrified and his mouth looked as if he was yelling something. They were fighting beside a river filled with rocks, and the one who was winning was attempting to back the loser into the rocks. In the background was a dark forest, with brown bark and dark green leaves. The top of the trees wasn't in view on the card.

At the bottom of the card, 'The fighter' was written in large cursive letters. She decided that this card would mean someone fighting in the face of danger, or someone struggling, and she placed them back in the deck. Picking up her backpack and heading out of her apartment, into the city.

Her plan was clear in her mind now, despite how ridiculous it sounded, it could work on people who didn't know anything about fortune telling, which the majority of the population likely didn't, more concerned with practical things.

Footsteps echoed as she walked at a rather fast pace, sort of excited to try out this new idea she had. Hopefully it would work, and she would make a profit on these cards that she had gotten.

She made her way to the bazaar, which was bustling with business already, despite it being rather early. There were all sorts of people here. All different races and backgrounds. The majority from Syrilas, and some from other places. However a lot of them seemed to know there way around the place.

It was then she spotted someone who would fit the idea she had in her mind. They looked lost and confused, asking someone for directions in a foreign accent, clearly from somewhere else, and obviously new to Syrilas.

After a while, the woman had apparently gotten the information that she wanted, and was on her way out of the Bazaar with a smile on their face. Roselina yelled to the girl in a cheery voice and with a grin on her face.

"Would you like your cards read, Miss? First reading free!"

"Sweet Dreams."
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A con's fortune [job thread]

Postby Roselina on January 26th, 2017, 7:01 pm

The blonde haired woman looked over at her sceptically, obviously confused at the concept of something being given away for free, as it wasn't something that happened often. However, with Roselina beckoning for her to approach, she soon came over to have her cards read.

The woman smiled at her and looked down at the cards as Roselina shuffled them, it wasn't a neat job that she was doing, but it would do. She seemed convinced and Roselina looked up at her with a grin. Roselina remembered witnessing one once, where the fortune teller was asked questions by the other, and she tried to copy what she remembered.

"What would you like to know?" She spoke, her voice cheery and optimistic, she was excited to find out whether this worked.

She looked at Roselina in curiosity and then smiled, deciding to answer her with another question. "What should I ask, or, what can I ask?" The question was quietly spoke, the stranger seemingly shy and her accent flowing through her words.

"You could ask anything, my friend! It could be of your friends, your career, perhaps your love life?" Roselina replied to the woman, her words sounding like a question, and she grinned in delight as the other perked up at the last words she said.

"Oh? You wish to know about your love life? Do you have a lover, or do you wish to have one?" Her words were curious and happy, as she set down the cards she had been shuffling, but placed the one that had most caught her eye at the top of the deck, so she wouldn't misplace it.

The woman blushed, slightly embarrassed at this and nodded. "Yes, I have a lover back home, I traveled here alone though, so I am worried about him, what if he leaves me while I am here?" She spoke, her words worried and secretive, it seemed the woman was easy to trust people, which was a good thing for Roselina.

The con-artist herself, was slightly thrown for words to say at that moment, and silence passed between them for a few moments, and the woman looked at her with a confused expression, but it faded when Roselina broke out of her thoughts and smiled.

"There is no need to worry quite yet, my friend. Shall you see what the cards say will happen? It could be anything, so what is your question?" Her words trailed off, and she looked at the woman with an inquisitive smile.

The other looked at the cards for a moment before answering, her words slightly nervous, as if she was dreading the answer that they may give her. "Will my lover stay with me?" Her hands trembled slightly as she asked, it seemed that she certainly believed whatever the cards said would be true.

"We shall see, shan't we." Roselina spoke, a smile gracing her lips as she did so, holding the cards close to her as she picked one out, looking at it quickly so the woman would not notice. It was 'the fighter', luckily one of the cards she had looked at earlier, where she had decided that it would mean struggling or fighting.

"Sweet Dreams."
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Roselina on January 27th, 2017, 7:34 pm

She held the card out to the other, showing them a clear view of it, the woman inspected it for a moment, curiosity flitting over her face, and she looked back up to Roselina, an inquisitive look on her face.

"What does it mean? The card." The stranger asked, her accent heavy as she spoke, and her tone questioning, though slightly worried as she spoke.

Roselina smiled at the woman, as if reassuring her that it was okay, and was silent for a moment, finding what to say in her mind, yet careful to keep up her friendly facade that she was using. She decided on her response, carefully looking down at the card as she spoke.

"It means that you will fight, and that your relationship may go through some hardships and trouble." Looking up from the card, it seemed that the other woman was affected by these words, her eyes worried and anxious, her mouth open as if she is trying to find something to say.

The woman eventually found her words, speaking hurriedly, her tone troubled as she spoke. "Are you sure? Will we make it through? What will happen?"

It was the exact reaction Roselina had hoped for, it seemed she had chosen a correct target, one who clearly believed things such as fortune tellers. Roselina never had though, she didn't quite believe it to be true what they said.

Roselina smiled at the woman, friendly and calm, before speaking with an apologetic tone to her voice. "I am sorry, my friend. However you will have to pay for anything more that you wish to know, though I would advise that you take up my offer."

She looked slightly annoyed at the aspect of paying, but worry still showed clear on her face. As she spoke she began to turn away, clearly not wanting to part way with her coins.

"I cannot pay, I only have a limited amount of money, I cannot spare any on a fortune telling, I have to keep it for food, and for somewhere to stay."

Roselina sighed, as if in resignation. It seemed that the woman was attempting to haggle with her, something Rose had done many a time aswell, and she was certainly ready to pretend to fall for it, as long as she could assure the othdr fell for this.

She reached out to the stranger, taking a hold of her wrist with a tight hold, and she turned around, notably not having walked very far.

"No! Please have your fortune read, I will give you a cheaper price, much lower than normal." Roselina spoke, her voice at a slightly higher pitch than it was usually. She fit into what she was saying well, as she was genuinely worried about losing a 'customer'.

The woman turned around with a smile, much cheerier than before, clearly convinced that the price had been lowered and she had done so successfully. Money exchanged hands and smiles were given, as Roselina pocketed the coin and shuffled her cards again.

"Sweet Dreams."
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Roselina on January 27th, 2017, 10:55 pm

As she shuffled the cards, she looked back up at the woman, her attention changing from the deck to her customer. "What do you wish to know this time? Anything can be known, as I said before "

The woman, a worried look on her face again, spoke with a gentle tone now, seemingly nervous. "What will happen after we fight? Will we be okay?"

Roselina nodded at the woman with a soft smile, taking out the card and looking at it, she let out a small gasp, shocked at the luck she had to pick out this card without sleight of hand. The gasp could luckily be interpreted as a gasp of horror, or sadness, seeing what the card was.

Death was what it read, and on it was an illustration of a woman lifting a scythe, and Roselina had to think for a moment to put it into the context of the question she had been given, but it seemed to fit well. It would mean that the relationship would come to an end, it seemed a suitable assumption for what the card truly meant, something that Roselina had little knowledge of.

Rosalina held the card out to the woman, her voice slow and serious. "The card is Death, and this means your relationship will come to an end, nothing good can come of this card."

It was sad, seeing someone get upset over something as small as this, but it was her job, and she had to do it. It was the only thing she knew how to do well. Recently she had found herself regretting her chosen career, if she could call it a career.

She didn't know why she had only now started to feel guilty over what she was doing, it had always been a terrible thing that she was doing, yet, why did it make her feel this way now. This was what she had been doing since she was a child, it was how she had survived after she had gotten away from her family. She couldn't have any regrets now.

Shaking her thoughts away, Roselina was confronted by a crying and hysterical customer in front of her, and she had started to gain attention. She needed to calm the woman down, to get rid of the attention that she was drawing, and to possibly make a little more money off of the stranger.

As she spoke, she attempted to make her tone soothing and calm, which wasn't as easy as she had thought it would be, as Roselina had never been amazing at dealing with emotions.

"Now, it isn't that bad, is it? They are only tarot cards after all, it might not be accurate."

She hoped that this would work out for her, but it was doubtful, the stranger didn't seem like she would calm down soon, so it was unlikely another tarot card reading was on the table for now.

The woman then looked up and glared at her, tears still in her eyes and angrily made her way out of the Bazaar, her face upset and worried. Perhaps that had been the wrong thing to say.

"Sweet Dreams."
Spring threads 0/3
Character Sheet
Roselina
Charismatic Con

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Con's Fortune [job thread]

Postby Ball on May 3rd, 2017, 11:48 pm

Note: Do not forget to use a full date for your threads. 85th of Winter is not very accurate. It is required to include the year as well. As your thread's datetime stamp shoes 2017, I am going to assume this is Winter of 516. Please be aware of that in the future threads.

XP:
Fortune Telling +3
Socialization +2
Intelligence +1
Rheotric +1
Acting +2
Observation +2
Negotiation +1

Lores
- Tarot Cards are Illustrated and Labeled to denote what they represent
- Tarot Cards have dual meanings
- Tarot Card: The Fool - Dressed in bright clothing with a mountainous background and a while dancing dog.
- Tarot Card: The Lovers - A couple staring into each other's eyes. Background shows a possibe reverse of good relations.
- Tarot Card: The Justice - Lady holding scales a sword aloft.
- Tarot Card: The Fighters - Combatants locked in combat among a painted woods by a river
- Intelligence: Using Questions to gain information

Note: Please be sure to mark your thread as graded. thank you
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes