Placeholder Willing Chains

Kaie allows herself to fall to shackles to participate in a deadly tournament.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Willing Chains

Postby Kaie on November 14th, 2016, 12:43 am

75th Day of Fall, 516 AV
10th Bell

"For Myri's sake...KAIE!" Jeida groaned sleepily from the bed, throwing the covers off her head to groggily glare at her older sister as she paced back and forth repeatedly at the foot of the bed. The other Myrian woman continued her looped action, eyes wide though they didn't appear to truly see anything in the room. "Petch! KAIE!" Jeida whipped a pillow into Kaie's frame, causing her to turn with a hand on the hilt of her gladius with a feral gaze.

In a few ticks she seemed to register who it was that sat in the bed before her. Then she quickly removed her hand from the handle of her weapon with a bewildered shake of her head. "I have to go," Kaie murmured hurriedly just before heading toward the door to the outside world across the room. "What? Where the petch are you going? Kaie! Kaie!"

Jeida's confused shouts were muffled the moment the door shut behind her. Each exhale as she walked gave birth to a plume of white vapor. Her exposed skin prickled. With winter looming ahead, the Myrian woman seemed too distracted by her own thoughts to have thought to wear a cloak. Only a passerby or two bothered to give her a strange look for braving the chill with such apathy. All the while Kaie moved through the streets like a woman possessed. One goal. One destination. Only one thing was for sure: she was running a fool's errand.

"Whoa, girl." A palm stopped the advance of the Myrian when she neared a pair of doors. At least that what's its owner might've believed. Kaie paused, looked from the hand to the impressive stature of the doorman, and promptly managed to seize two of his fingers and thereby forced him to follow his pain to his knees before her. "Is he in?" Kaie addressed the man coldly in the Common tongue while he winced beneath her. "Yes. Petch, woman!" Kaie snapped the fingers and planted her foot to his face. The back of his head smashed back against one of the very doors he'd been tasked with securing. She entered the other while he recollected his focus.

"Can I help you, miss?" a surprisingly friendly face offered from behind a shoddy desk with a nervous smile. Kaie had half a mind to breeze by the woman just as she did the doorman. "The loan shark. Please." The Myrian send her foot into the door she'd just entered, effectively shutting out the recovering doorman before he found his feet. "Is Mr. Franks expecting you?"
"Forget it, Karen," a new voice instructed as the door beside the skittish woman's desk creaked open. "Mr. Franks says he's ready for a new one." Karen looked toward Kaie and gestured toward the newly opened door. The Myrian had no trouble wandering through. On its other side she was greeted by a modestly sized room the loan shark had evidently attempted to make seem luxurious.

Mounted heads of common deer were scattered about the walls. A long, tattered, patterned rug was situated between a crackling fireplace and a small collection of chairs on the right of the room. Another rug of similar character paved the way toward the greedy man himself. At the far end of the room was a desk hardly any more impressive in quality as the one commanded by the receptionist. The only difference was its ridiculous size that dwarfed the already unimposing body sitting behind it.

Mr. Franks the Loan Shark was a plump little man with a white, balding scalp, cheap suit, and with ugly, sharp features. His stubby fingers were decorated with rings and a smug look that nearly reminded Kaie of Sunberth's most notorious loan shark rested on his face. At his right flank stood a tall, boyish-looking man with bright red hair. Freckles spotted across the bridge of his nose and spread across his cheeks. A pair of Mr. Franks' other hired friends lounged lazily by the fire.

"Now aren't you just a sight to behold!" the loan shark tittered with wide eyes as he took in the sight of the approaching Myrian. The red-head at his side crossed his arms over his chest while his boss readjusted himself in his seat with a whistle. "Like many Sunberth boys, my mother was a whore. Good for nothing, truly, but apparently not a liar! You look just as I imagined the monsters in her childish stories." The Myrian couldn't quite decide if his sentiment was one that made her want to absolutely deck him. Given her state, she was happy to violently lay her hands on anyone. Her own head was a prison of unique torment. It seemed only fair others should share her burden and service her with catharsis.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Willing Chains

Postby Kaie on January 10th, 2017, 11:02 pm

"What can I do for you, Miss...?"
"Kaie. I heard you were looking for a fighter for the upcoming tournament at the Blood Pits," the Myrian answered plainly. The loan shark chuckled and pressed the pads of his fingers together. "A woman who gets right down to business! So what if I was looking for a fighter?"
"I want in."
"You? My fighter? Sweetie...you waste my time! Boys?" The pair sitting by the fire groaned and rose from their seats. One of them cracked his knuckles before they strutted toward her.

The first to lay his hand on her shoulder was the first to fall. In a tick she'd broken the wrist with a brutal twist, stepped behind the man while he screamed, and forced him down upon the floor with both her hands yanking him down backward by his head. The next approached as Kaie slipped her gladius from its sheath. Naturally, the rattled man procured his own cutlass with wide-eyes. "Enough! Enough!" The last man standing swallowed and dutifully stepped back as he sheathed his sword. The other man on the floor rose to a sitting position and painfully rubbed the back of his head. Slowly Kaie relented to putting her own weapon away as well.

"You've made your point. Petch, woman! But we have a problem. This isn't an open tournament. It's a big one put together by slavers throughout the city. Some way to settle beef about the quality of some pair of warring assholes' slaves in the ring with money involved to bring in other owners. Find me a slave, then we'll talk." Mr. Franks shook his head and dipped his gaze back down toward the papers before him. Strangely enough, despite the gesture, Kaie was skeptical the man could even read. "Put me in chains then." The loan shark looked up with an incredulous expression and shook his head again. "Put you in chains?"
"The fights start in two days. Way I see it, you're out of a fighter. No fighter, no chance to win money. You parade me in there as your fake slave and I'll put Mizas in your pocket. If I win the whole petching thing, we split it in half."

Mr. Franks sat back in his chair, jaw unhinged. He drummed his fingers upon the desk. "Sixty-forty?" Kaie shook her head and folded her arms. "Look, I say no and you get nothing at all."
"I don't fight and you make nothing at all." The loan shark scratched his head and glanced toward his right hand man who offered, from Kaie's perspective, naught but a blank stare. "Alright. Fifty-fifty. This is some big petchin' money. You win any fights and I make some money. You die and I lose nothing. What I don't understand is what's really in this for you. You got a sick kid? In debt with someone scarier than me?"

I just bonded with a Kelvic that turns from sexy blonde warrior to giant ass white lion, we've been petching day-in and day-out since, and suddenly he's disappeared on me without a trace. Oh, but also the bond allows me to feel what he feels all the time, non-stop, all day every day. Anger. Frustration. Agony. Loneliness. Sadness. Longing. I don't know what emotions are mine and which are his anymore and each day intensifies the suffering. If I could bring myself to put my gladius through my own skull, I petching would, but for now I'll settle for putting in someone else's. A lot of petching someone else's. That's really I have left to do.

"So we have a deal?" Kaie answered flatly instead with her unwavering amber stare. Mr. Franks pulled at the corner of his mustache. "Indeed I think we do, Kaie. Let me get my coat. We'll get ourselves squared away before the end of the day." Mr. Franks started to get up out of his seat. His red-haired friend rushed to the nearby coat-hanger to retrieve a long brown coat. "Now?" The loan shark raised his brow at her and let his hired man help him slip on the coat. "Oh yes."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Willing Chains

Postby Kaie on January 25th, 2017, 1:43 am

Mr. Franks gave a care-free whistle as he strolled down the long, familiar halls of the old mining tunnels. Surrounding the small loan shark and the Myrian was a modest outfit of hired bodyguards. By the looks of them, most were young men probably fresh from the Orphanage, too old to have stayed and too fearful to take the streets without any financial security at all. She reckoned most would perish before the season's end. "I take it you already know who's in charge of the tournament?" Kaie inquired lowly, amber eyes surveying the dank, dark tunnels in vain as they moved forth through the dim torchlight. Mr. Franks only nodded in his reply, continuing his tune. Eventually the torches seemed to have been added in more frequency before opening up to the Fighting Pits themselves.

"Don't wander too far," Mr. Franks instructed before he broke off most of his entourage to follow him down an adjacent tunnel. The Myrian continued on into the Pits at a leisurely pace, heart kicking up speed as she stepped into the center of the arena as though it had been conditioned to do so from memory. Kaie turned on her heel but it seemed the arena indeed was wholly surrounded by stands on even ground and above the pit. She could imagine the invisible crowd on their feet, cursing, wailing, cheering the contenders on with blood thirsty demands. Funny she couldn't remember a single face from her last fight here despite the way other gladiators reveled in the spotlight.

A particularly gruff voice accompanied by foot-steps returned the Myrian to reality. She spun on her heels to find Mr. Franks and his crew in the presence of a particularly notorious figure in The Den: The Pit Bull. Every time Kaie saw the former gladiator she was impressed by his appearance. A giant among men, Pit Bull was a man kissed by Dira more times than any mortal should've been able to boast. Scars littered his flesh in the way freckles covered faces. While he was no Myrian, Kaie suspected he considered his marks likened to that of badges of honor...and gods was he decorated.

"Aye. I seen 'er 'fore," The Pit Bull grumped with thick arms crossing his chest. Kaie petrified her expression and met his eyes without flinching. "Not 'er first time down 'ere. Ain't bad neither." Mr. Franks tapped his feet impatiently and placed a finger upon his lips. "You're saying she indeed has a chance?" The Pit Bull chuckled at the loan shark's question and tossed up his large hands. "'Ard to tell. I seen scrawny li'l no ones win 'gainst beasts. This tourney ain't like others. Boys from Slaver's Row 'ere for blood and squashin' beef. Ain't no one gonna bet on yer li'l girl 'gainst them monsters that'll be 'ere." The man had a point and both Kaie and the loan shark knew it. Mr. Franks eyed the Myrian skeptically for what felt like forever. She knew what must've been his thought process.

What's it going to be, Franks? Free slave means no loss if I die. I win so much as one fight and you make a profit, but if I lost miserably in the first match? Well, that's going to be one brutal wound to your ego won't it? And yet if I start as the underdog and I win any of these high stakes fights...

"I'm putting her in," Franks declared with finality and eyes glancing toward The Pit Bull, who nodded in agreement. "Right then. I'll get a spot for ya. Two days from now, two of yas better be 'ere by dawn. Come in chains," the former gladiator instructed, pointing to Kaie at the end to affirm the importance of the slave-only tournament rules. "Done," Kaie stated without so much as a tick of fore-thought, which raised the eyebrows of both Franks and The Pit Bull. "A willin' slave? Ne'er did I think I'd see the day. Death wish, ya crazy bitch?" Mr. Franks shook his head at that, his skeptical gaze locked on the enigma that was his new champion. "A mystery to us all, but one I'll happy make profit from. Thank you, Pit Bull."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes