Open [World's End Grotto] Working to Learn or Learning to Work?

Zeltiva, Winter 516 AV, Day 7, Afternoon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[World's End Grotto] Working to Learn or Learning to Work?

Postby Fallon on January 28th, 2017, 6:45 pm

"Then we are of an accord," The inspector leaned back in her chair then, giving Salara a long, hard look. It was far from one of disappointment, but one designed to rate and weigh up the woman before her. There was no immediate move beyond that, just a quiet contemplation as the words fell. It did not tell her much in honesty, just a mind that seemed to think far beyond the immediate situation. And that situation was only one that Salara had to face - how she did it was of no concern of Fallon's.

"With a dream, cunning, tenacity, bravery and family," Her gaze turned out of the window then, a moment of reminiscing before moving on, "But that is not what you are here for. Nor will I divulge further as to my views on such a matter." Nor would she let this stranger attempt to pry deeper. There was no guilt, merely acceptance of what once was and had been. The eyes turned back, growing harsh in their glamour before easing once more.

"You may try to take," the tone was firm, almost a dare laced with threat, "But you will regret it if you do. I am very good at what I do and many other things. So, be wary of what den you tread into."

Fallon left that thought there. Swiftly moving on she took up the sheet once more, contemplated it, before dipping her quill into the ink well. With it a low rumble of laughter echoed out, listening to this woman - no, girl - speak so boldly. While she had no doubt that she had skill she knew not what they were. And judging by the obvious mention of thievery she doubted she held much in the way of sense. Speaking of such things was best reserved for certain, private, circles.

"Unfortunately before I can even begin the process of... whatever this is," her hand flicked, "I need to know you. You say you have skills, to develop but still skills, what are they? You say you wish to do for the good of others, but have not specified a particular field to enter. You mentioned your unsuccessful attempts of larceny, yet you say this so boldly to an inspector. Admitted your activities so freely - why in my right mind should I not mention such information to the Waveguard the moment you walk out the door?" Fallon gave a small lick of the lips, "How do I not know that the person I direct you to you are not going to leave in a worse state that before? And then I have to be dealing with the responsibility of such upon my own conscious?"

In some light it was little more than a verbal attack, but it was also a lesson that was needed to be had. Fallon exhaled softly, "That aside, do you have any thought in your own mind on what it is you want to do?" She raised a finger then, an action to say she was not finished speaking, "The first step. Not the overall arching goal. All can dream, but first a foundation must be built. You look for referrals, for what exactly? I admit presumption here, but work? Then you must ask yourself work as what? To achieve what? In short you want to help people, or an individual perhaps. There is many away to achieve that in many a form; help a mother look after a child, assist the city hall clerk with her paperwork, labour away in the quarry or the lumber mill." She paused, "You say to do good, but to do good is merely a matter of perspective."

"I cannot do more without knowing more, understand that,"
She lowered her finger then, "You must tell me more or else the most I can do is redirect you to the City Hall itself."
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on February 4th, 2017, 1:41 am

Listening to the investigator ramble somewhat of a recipe with ingredients, ‘With a dream, cunning, tenacity, bravery and family,’ it is all that she believed in herself; yet was surprised to hear ‘family’ which she did not have. In spite of herself she was beginning to enjoy their philosophical conversation and actually wished he had pursued that thought further. Nonetheless she paid close attention feeling that this was not the place or time to let her guard down through casual conversation.

She was becoming impressed until he began to question the specifics of her purpose. Helping a mother look after a child? Assisting the city hall clerk with her paperwork? Laboring away in the quarry or the lumber mill? As an investigator surely he would understand more appropriate uses of even a novice’s thieving skills? Suspecting he may not be taking her seriously, was secretly laughing at her, or trying to elicit another emotional response - lips press peevishly at the thought - she found his questions otherwise were valid.

“I have recently been reminded of the poor path of acting upon whims, both gross and tame.” A shoulder lifts in excusable shrug, “Even the best of characters do not function well in idleness or poverty. However, admitting even poor ability in thievery does not in effect admit to the actual conduct of thievery, which I will not do. This is not a field where references and accomplishments are provided in resume and as such I will not incriminate myself. You could very easily turn me over to the Wave; but with no crime associated you are simply turning over an individual who has skills but no evidence of use. Besides with the state of this town surely their efforts are better served elsewhere.” Giving him a knowing look, in her mind she couldn’t help but challenge him to disagree. “Having openly approached you singularly, Inspector, with these revelations of course I recognize the chance of yours, the Wave’s, or a patron’s attention henceforth.

Certainly a reference from you is a statement on my actions, which rests upon your own character so I do not begrudge your questions. Yet turnaround is fair play. How do I know a patron you direct me to will not employ my skills in a self-serving way? By your own words how can I be sure whomever it may be isn’t someone who would destroy any who opposed or failed them to advance their own ambitions? As I’ve said, my intent is to use my experience in a more positive fashion.” She meets the Inspector's eyes with discernment, “To rightly put such a foot forward I believe the first thing I must do is be honest with you. I trust anything less would go poorly for me.”

Salara sits back momentarily noticing the warm feel of this office in the natural light through the large window falling across armchairs, tiled table, cupboard, shelves and office desk. It was nearly cozy in a sparse, oddly almost feminine fashion; yet still she could sense power and influence here making her wonder at the primary mission of this business. Defend the people of Zeltiva against threats? Protect against grave dangers? Was it to help those who need it? Surely the Inspector had to reflect an image of law abiding support to the population. The thought gives her an idea.

Leaning forward intently she continues, "We both concur that ‘good’ is ultimately a matter of personal perspective displayed through choice; and being truly law-abiding in and of itself is not a great concern of mine. We can bandy words about for chimes discussing honesty, trust, and abilities; but in the end it is all semantics. Essentially you are asking what do I believe in, what do I stand for, and what am I willing to do to acquire it. My answer truthfully is power, influence, and wealth through honorable service to others. But as you say, a foundation must come first.

I found the services of Scarred Wolf Investigations listed at City Hall. I believe some of those would benefit from abilities in deception and evasion. I’ve at least some experience fitting in across all levels of lifestyle from slave to king’s friend and I’ve found that I have a proclivity to go where others cannot. Dare I suggest? Instead of relying upon each other’s word a trial run be in order. You need to know me? Allow me an opportunity to display my skills - broaching a level of trust on both sides - so that you may rightly judge with clear conscious where best I might be directed be it Wave, Hall, or otherwise.”
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on February 9th, 2017, 3:04 pm

"Yet let us say, hypothetically, that I did turn you over. That I had said you had committed such and that evidence pointed to this. Who's word do you think they would sooner believe? You, who admitted your proclivities so easily and almost eagerly or the inspector who has frequently enough worked along side the law and solved many a mystery. Admittedly privately but enough that skill has been requested," she gave a point of a feather tip then, "You speak of deceit and evasion as if they are your bedfellows. But I am given more the inclination that you do not know them as intimately as you make out. If you wish to play such a game you must not thing just one step ahead, but a dozen else you will simply die."

"As a free one however, I would advise that you do not partake in the stealing of food. Zeltivans are rather... territorial over it,"
Words done, Fallon leaned back within her chair and listened. Fingers steepled, the occasional flick of the quill feather between her thumb and forefinger, clearly lost in some element of careful thought. While this woman held some idea of what she wanted she also needed to realise that such a logic worked in all directions.

And it was at that point Fallon simply laughed, a sound that rumbled out from her stomach, "For I am far from a reader of minds and can only base things upon what I know of them. I do not know of what machinations exist within the mind of another just as much as the next. Do let me know if you managed to discover such a thing, if anything so I may learn to keep my distance for all of our sanity. In reality however, only they know what they want, and I can merely attempt to cater to a perceived desire... Regardless, I am dreadfully fussy."

There are no kings in Mizahar. Lords and leaders perhaps, but kings, queens and nobility are little more than a dead breed, Fallon felt a tug upon her lips then, She is bluffing.

"If it is honourable service, perhaps you should turn your gaze to the Waveguard, work for the people in keeping the law. Perhaps, you will rise through the ranks and achieve much," she gave a smirk, "Or perhaps you should look further a field, the Syliran Knights are always looking for those who will give all to keep the peace. Dress up in armour and fight the beasts of the wilderness and of the city."

Her thoughts drifted briefly, and returned to the room with a shudder.

"But I am not you. I do not know your thoughts or what you consider honourable. You fail to speak of what you wish to do. A field in which to enter. Deception and evasion? There is many a rich merchant that would find value in such. Lords and ladies too. Another pawn to do their bidding... Is it honourable? Depends on your patron, I have a tendency to believe it would not be. Give you power and influence? Perhaps, if you are able to prove yourself useful. Though, be too much and you will become a perceived threat..."

"Be successful at it? Then you will be placed in the same position as your once patron. And with such comes great responsibility,"
Fallon twiddled her quill, "But, we must all start at the first step. It is not just I you must prove value to, but them as well." Her hand gestured at that point to the world outside, "A good... deceiver, spy, one of intelligence and operations is an unknown. No one but your patron must know. If others know then you must rid yourself of them, else your value and use decreases."

Fallon mused to herself then, it sounded like something she imagined Zandelia would say - though considerably more blunt. A good weapon is he hidden one. Fallon clapped her hands together then.

"Very well, I shall as you put it, trial you. You have asked, thus you shall receive. Of course, in my chosen field. And I deal information," Fallon gave a flick of her wrist then. She doubted that there would any relenting from this woman until then, so perhaps something to remove her temporarily would do - at least until Fallon had some time to think. Of course, she would us such to be advantageous to herself, "Over twenty years ago a man called Zachiel Eyvino was in Zeltiva. He had some association with the richer houses of the city, but otherwise it is seeming that his existence is considered minimal." Her hand gestured to Salara then, "I know things about him already, but I challenge you to find what you can of him without my involvement being known. And, when you're done and content with your findings, you report to me." A sly, wolffish grin grew then, "You asked for a trial, I have given you one. Do you object?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on February 10th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Full of surprises this inspector had many facets. As he spoke Salara realized she was beginning to understand his effort and perhaps even a bit of patience with her. Once she began getting over being spoken to as if to a rube she found herself nodding at his sage advice; becoming more perceptive to his attempt to offer thoughtful consequences. He’d missed the mark on a few things about her, admittedly through the newness of their acquaintance; however, he was on target for the most important fact - her skills needed more than a little polish due to lack of experience. A surge of confidence began to slowly rise within as she began to feel justified in continuing with the track of honesty she had taken with him. It seemed as if approaching her goal in this fashion was working.

One brow cocked in surprise at the strange change from advice to warning of thieving food. As a natural predator the thought of stealing food was so alien to her that she couldn’t help but chuckle. “Oh, err, I appreciate your warning but unless there are sanctions against hunting around Zeltiva….?” No need to reveal her more advantageous hunting tactics and, ironically, her ace in the hole for deceit and evasion. After all, through the years she had experienced worse repercussions being found Kelvic than as a struggling thief. She wasn’t about to toss that variable into the mix just yet.

“I appreciate your advice and suggestions for - more positive - honorable opportunities that would no doubt guarantee a longer, if less fulfilling, lifespan. The thought of acting within the Waveguard or banging around in Knight’s armor does not resonate well with me. Just as there is honor among thieves, then the next step up to a not-quite-so-pure honor suits me better. I would use what poor skills I do have as, at this point, they are all that I have.” Besides, she thinks, lingering in the shadows and being unknown align much better with her feline nature.

“New come to Zeltiva,” she wonders aloud, “perhaps my first question should not have been, ‘which patrons should I approach?’ but instead, ‘what more positive avenues are available to me for the skills I do possess?’” Though she suspected that a different question would not have made this encounter any easier.

Finally getting down to business her excitement grows – progress and a direction for her deviating attention. Fingers drum a rhythm upon the chair’s arm with each informative directive - over twenty years ago… Zachiel Eyvino…richer houses…Zeltiva. Got it. A smile covered her lips, pushing up the edges of her mouth as she stands offering the inspector a firm handshake. “I welcome the challenge.” As her handshake (assumedly) is returned; a glint of the wolf’s head ring pressed over the inspector’s gloved finger catches her eye. Not really consciously registering in her mind she also sees, just at the gaped edge of his glove, a portion of a mark atop his hand. “Thank you for this opportunity.”

Salara would pull her cloak about her shoulders, pick up her pack and make her exit with plans already circling in her head. She would need some supplies –ink, parchment, quill pen, fashionable clothing, stylish shoes. Oh how she hated shoes….

OOCUpon grading will deduct the following purchases: damasked wool dress 56 sm, damasked wool headwear/coif 14 sm, shoes/slippers 1 sm, stockings 4 sm, ink 1gm, quill pen ?, parchment ?
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Karyk on June 7th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Salara Kelhalavath
Skills
Observation: 1
Socialization: 4
Philosophy: 1

Lores
Startled Horses Attract Their Minders
Upstanding Zeltivans Do Not Condone Vagrancy
Inspector Fallon: Can Be Rather Deceptive
Job: Learn About Zachiel Eyvino
Fallon: Has Suffered Greatly

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

Fallon
Skills
Subterfuge: 2
Hypnotism: 1
Leadership: 1
Philosophy: 1

Lores
Salara Kel'Halavath: The Woman That Assumed the Inspector to be Male
Salara: Doesn't Take Kindly to Being Accused of Needing Charity
Salara: Very Emotional
Salara: A Failed Thief

Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

Well that was a fun read, lots of tit for tat in the conversation. I look forward to seeing more of this relationship. Salara, please mark this as Graded in the Zeltiva Grading Queue
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous