Open The Other Two (Out of Three) (Sloane)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Other Two (Out of Three) (Sloane)

Postby Konrad Venger on January 19th, 2017, 11:27 am

Things changed. Konrad didn't realize how much until his hand was around her wrist. No, that was inaccurate. It was long after that. When he'd looked back and shook his head, frowning into the campfire and wonder how the hells it had happened.

It started with laughter. From him. A snort of it so alien and abrupt that even he looked surprised after hearing it. "Horse petchers". Had this woman been following him around? Clearly not, but Konrad sneaked a glance at the woman as she spoke, an ember of approval in his seaweed eyes. Especially when she made her excuses, and he snorted right back.

"A'course you weren't..."

"How should I..."

"Hey, yer the weapons es'pert," he said, more mirth in his voice than scorn as he gestured to the post. "Sure but y'can show me a thing 'er two."

Of course she wouldn't. She would fail, just like he had. But Konrad was enjoying the show... especially when she went through the same grips and holds as he had, trying to remember the times he'd seen Three Eyes and others like him using such blades. Then she settled into her stance and Konrad nodded a touch.

Shoulders square to target. Good guess.

Not good enough to score her a hit on the post, though. It was her release, he could tell. Just a little bit too low, so instead of the wood it smacked into the dirt instead, but did she care? Did she curse or stomp her feet? Did she glare at him for embarrassing her?

No. She laughed. She laughed and the damn thing was infectious as pox.

Second shot. New stance, a trifle different... and yes, she tried to release later. When her arm was straight, guiding the spinning glade right into the target. But it was still off, still weak instead of stiff and confident... although the mud got a good stabbing out of the throw, instead of a bruising from the handle.

"See that! That was better!"

Konrad blinked at the bouncing, vivid little ball of enjoyment as she celebrated her victory. Arms crossed, eyes confused, he couldn't stop it. Didn't even know he was smiling until the ruined side of his face was aching. By that time he was watching her fetch the knife and then it was back in his hand, and-

He tried to look for some... manipulation, behind her smile. That was usually the reason behind that expression directed his way. It was never a real, honest thing. People didn't smile at Konrad, unless they stood to gain something.

"Here. You show now."

Pavi. She was speaking Pavi. The effort it took to dredge his memory for the translation was enough to snap him out of his confusion, another state that Konrad didn't enjoy. He looked down and then up at her and...

Well, what else did he have planned?

"A'right... a'right." He cleared his throat and slid the blade of the knife around his fingers until he was holding it just so. "See that? Thumb an' two fingers, by the blade. Tight, but light, y'know? Tight enough so you can aim it-" he stood before the target, square-on like she been, and extended his arm from behind his ear to straight ahead of him "-but light enough that when you let go-"

Please don't cock this up.

The gods listened, or maybe he really was just making progress. The second time was a proper throw, arm whipping forward and blade escaping his fingers just as his arm straightened-

THUNK

-well, not where he was aiming, for sure, but at least it was in the pole. Around crotch-level. Konra scratched behind his neck and his mouth twisted into something like a childish smirk as he looked at Sloane.

"Aye, well... that'd still stop the bastard, wun't it? Cum'ere."

Bells later, sat before that campfire, Konrad had mused on what possessed him. Probably nothing that another man would have mused over, worried over, questioned or puzzled over. But that wasn't him. He'd look down at his callused hands and remember how-

Her wrist was soft. Warm. But he wasn't thinking about that. Not consciously, anyway. He wanted to show her how to throw properly. One hand closed around her wrist, and the other placed the knife in her hand. Then he slid to her side and pulled her arm up, next to her head... straightened it so that the the blade was extended with her limb, pointed at the arrow she'd fired into the post.

"That an' y'just gotta keep practicing," he said with a sigh, that of a man who'd only improved through constant, grinding repetition. It wasn't fancy or heroic or even interesting, but it worked. "C'mon, try it again. Promise I won't laugh."

Konrad never winked at people. Not ever. Especially not pretty girls. What was the point?

Nope. Not ever.

"Trusting me," he said, then jerked his chin at the target. "You go," he said, notching a fresh arrow into his bow and getting into the sideways stance he'd seen her use. "I go."

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Sloane on January 19th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Sloane watched closely and listened intently as Hansel demonstrated how to hold and throw the knife, eager to test his tips out for herself. My stance was right at least. She noted, taking in how the walahk held the blade and moved his arm. When he threw the blade it turned in the air, but unlike her own trials it did so i one smooth arc, coming back around blade first to strike the wood. It was easy for Sloane to pay attention, she was hugely intrigued by all types of weapons, not merely bows, and could never turn down the chance to learn. She smirked and rolled her eye's playfully when Hansel's commented on where the blade had landed, but the expression fell to one of surprise as he reached forward to take her wrist.

She was unsure of how to respond when he moved closer to show her how to hold the blade, and then stiffened uncertainly as he guided her arm in the throwing motion. For a short moment she wondered if she should be letting him so close; he was a stranger after all, one who'd had no qualms about selling her into slavery. But while earlier there had been anger and frustration, Hansel had offered his weapon for Sloane to try out, and she had accepted it without any snarky insults. It seemed that such a simple event had caused the tension to break, and suddenly the two were able to act like civil, even friendly individuals.

"Mm, practice makes perfect." She agreed drily, thinking back on the hundreds of arrows she'd made when she was younger, all in pursuit of growing her craft and her skill. She snorted when he promised not to laugh, and contemplated making a snide remark back, but decided instead to let it go. The last thing she wanted was to start up the war of insults that they'd started out with.

"When you draw, use the muscles in your back." She reached out this time, lightly tapping her fingers against his back for emphasis, first the large muscle that bound his arm to his shoulder blade and a smaller one that sat beneath it. "Don't rely solely on your arms; your back is stronger, and your draw will be stronger and steadier." It was something she'd learnt through Bowyering, rather than through archery. When you could end up spend hours testing out fresh, newly made bows it was important to use the right techniques to avoid injuries.

Turning her attention away, Sloane focused first on her technique, adjusting the knife until she held it as Hansel had shown her, and the setting her feet. The first few were test throws, her grip never loosening on the blade and her arm making the same movements and forming the same angles that Hansel had demonstrated, until she was certain that she was on the right track. Finally she shifted her gaze to the post, arm going up until the blade was by her head, her grip firm but not clinging. She threw her arm forward, releasing the blade only when it was inline with her arrow, and then allowed her arm and body to follow through with the movement.

The blade turned in the air as Hansel's did, and with a solid thunk t hit the post, close enough to the side that it was certain her aim needed some help. "Yeah!" She hollered jumping up in delight, turning without a thought to whack Hansel's shoulder in her glee, other arm pointing to the post, despite the fact that he'd doubtlessly seen the blade next to his own arrow. "Okay, I'm convinced, the blades are pretty good." She glanced at the ground, where she'd set her own bow. "Bow's are still better though."

Common ~ Pavi ~ Thoughts
Sloane
Going just to keep going

Words: 90297
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2016, 12:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on January 19th, 2017, 10:30 pm

He didn't flinch, as one might expect. Nor did he lean into those gentle, instructive fingertips. But had Sloane been listening - really listening - she would have noticed Konrad's breath hitch, just a tad. Luckily for him, he was facing the post, bow and arrow in hand, when she gave her advice. She couldn't see his eyes widen a touch in surprise, and then-

Harden. Just as fast. If not faster.

"Thank you." The words didn't sound any less tight or grudging, just because they were in an alien tongue. But Konrad couldn't help his attitude soften a touch when he followed her advice, pinching together his back muscles as he drew, not just relying on his arms. His eyebrows rose up his forehead and... well, bugger him. "Huh... youse weren't jokin'."

It was always a strain, drawing a bow, but this... it was much less than before. Even Konrad could tell the difference. As he peered down the arrow, one eye closed, he smiled at how steady it seemed. Of course, it didn't last long: only a few ticks before that tiny, telltale tremble started to add fractions of an inch here that would mean feet of difference there... but it was an improvement. Now all that was left was to aim-

Thud

"Eh?"

Thirty years of street instinct howled at Konrad to retaliate, and truth be told a tick later and Sloane would have probably been laid out with a bruise across her temple. But it was Konrad's sheer shock that stalled him, gave him a moment to snap his head around and see her... laughing. Bouncing like a child, happy and victorious that she'd...

"Goddim," he said with more than a touch of pride. After all, it was his advice that made the shot. "I'd say... inna' stomach. That'll do the job. Bastard won't be thinkin' a' brawlin' with ya. Be more worried about keepin' his guts under his skin..."

His words trailed off as he tilted his head, aimed back down the arrow. Still less tremble than before. He flexed his back muscles pulled the arow back a little further, waiting for the point to settle... then exhaled slowly until his skin was as still as it could get.

Just a flick. Bent to straight.

TWANG

Well, he didn't dance around like some Falyndar savage, but he got about as happy as Konrad was known to get. He lowered his bow and grinned at the arrow shaking faintly a few inches from the knife Sloane had sent hurtling into the pole. He turned and tipped his hat at her with his free hand, nodding his silent respect for her abilities.

And he just... kept looking.

Ticks stretched out longer than was appropriate, or comfortable. She was puzzling to him. She... she didn't do as he would. As anyone sane would do, as far as he could tell. She'd lost her friends, her possessions, ended up wounded and alone in the Sea of Grass, her head full of nightmares about Zith and her caravan torn to shreds around her. Then he'd come along, with his scars and cold eyes and careless ways, talking about slaves and threats of what he'd do if she didn't obey.

Not that any of that happened. The Drykas with him, well, they weren't keen on men like him, and weren't about to allow him to take slaves, anyway. Not when the female could serve a much greater purpose for their people.

So she'd gone from free, to alone, to alone and broke, to property. A breeder. To be a walking womb until it dried up. And there she was, happy and grinning and Konrad could feel it tugging under his own skin, like it wanted the whole world to smile, too.

"How can youse be so... like this?"

He finally spoke, shaking his head, voice full of something most never heard from him: wonder. He gestured up and down her body, as if bemused she could even bear to walk around with hr head high, rather than curl up in a ball and weep for her circumstances.

"Yer a slave. Yeah, they dun' call it that 'ere, but that's what y'are. You'll be bred for as long as they can, mebbe more'n one pavilion. An' me?!" Something close to embarrassment crossed Konrad's face, followed swiftly by mild horror. "N-Not the breedin', I mean! I mean... youse can just talk t'me like this? How? I woulda' sold youse, girl. If it were Kenash and not here, I'da done it in two ticks and forget you existed. So why... I just don't-"

He stopped. Squinted as if seeing something crawl over her face... and then his head tilted back, and an enlightened little "ahhhh" escaped his lips. He understood, now. He saw it. Stupid of him not to get it before, but... well... she was beguiling in her way. And it was, really, very clever.

"Diff'runt performance, aye?" He spoke low, as if in conspiracy. His face was drained of the good humor he'd worn before; there was some sly, slimy understanding there instead. As if he knew a dirty secret. "Lil' Lost Girl didn't do too well, did it? So, ya tryin' somethin' new? Gotta admit... s'a winner. Yer hand on me back was a nice touch."

Konrad straightened back up, victorious. Yes, that was what it was. It had to be. There was no other explanation that made sense, not to the way his mind worked. People weren't... they didn't act like she did. Not really. She was playing an angle, like he'd do in her place; she was just being smarter about it. Well, he had to admire that. But like the last time, it had a flaw, and Konrad was smart enough to see it.

No-one was comfortable around him. Not unless they were getting something out of it. Which, he supposed, was-

"Fair trade, I 'spose. I learned from youse-" he tapped the bow in his hand "-you learned from me-" then nodded at the knife in the post "-but les' drop the act, yeah? Dun' need youse pretendin', ev-"

Konrad's teeth snapped together. No. He'd cut out his tongue before he admitted that. Not an ounce of weakness, not to anyone, ever. The world saw that and destroyed you because of it or - if it was bored and needed entertainment - with it. As the thought went through his mind, Sloane could maybe see the hardness seep back into his features. Whatever peace and ease had loosened the mask he wore... he didn't allow it there.

He looked down with scars and scorn and eyes like green rocks, then turned away, and drew another arrow.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Sloane on January 20th, 2017, 6:46 am

"Maybe I should get some throwing daggers of my own." She mused, grinning happily. She watched him carefully as Hansel made his own shot, and her grin widened as he turned back to her. She was glad to see that he was happy with the results, and that her tip had paid off. She felt comfortable, relaxed, finally given the opportunity to speak more Common than she had all season, and to not have to worry about offending someone or doing something stupid due to a cultural misunderstanding.

Her smile faded somewhat as Hansel finally spoke, voice low and soft. It wasn't a topic she liked, and was something she did her best not to think about too closely. Maybe it was denial, but it seemed to be working so far. What she wouldn't accept she denied, and what she didn't wish to think about she simply ignored. "I'm not going to be a breeder." She said simply, tone short. "It's just not going to happen, I won't allow it." She shrugged. She didn't have any plans as to how she would avoid this, all she knew was that she'd to all that she could to prevent it. "And you... I dunno." She shook her head, walking slowly to retrieve her arrows and Hansel's knife, returning it to him. "What you did was pure shite, but I would have died if you and the women hadn't brought me back, so... The intentions were wrong but it worked out." She was about to continue, but was stopped when Hansel's expression and demeanour suddenly changed.

Sloane's face twisted with confusion and offence, her eye's widening in shock. Where once Hansel had been smiling, his scarred face relaxed and friendly to closed off and nasty. Sloane's brows furrowed, and she shook her head as he spoke. "No, wrong." She chirped, before stopping again, speechless.

Sloane's frown deepened as Hansel turned away to nock another arrow, and she was truly at a loss for what to say. She stood back, eye's sliding to the ground by her feet, thinking over what she should say or do. Finally she straightened and looked around. "I should go." She murmured, shrugging lightly, voice flat. Part of her wanted to vehemently deny what he'd said, but the rest of her doubted it would achieve anything, it would only appear that she was trying to back track and placate him again. And truthfully, he was a stranger, perhaps it was safer for them both to mistrust each other. Sloane paused before turning to leave, hesitating before speaking. "When you need more arrows you should stop by Duskstep Pavilion. " She said simply, turning away.

Common ~ Pavi ~ Thoughts
Sloane
Going just to keep going

Words: 90297
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2016, 12:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on January 20th, 2017, 10:01 am

Konrad just snorted at the words in Pavi, sneering in mingled satisfaction and scorn. The former because he'd actually understood them both, the latter because that was just what a liar would say, after all. Or a talented actress. Deception was a skill like any other, and only through practice was it honed. Mayhap he was practice for her in another fashion?

He focused on the arrow. The post. The bow in his hand. Again, he drew with his back, not just his arms. Breathed in as he did, and held it until the arrow was straight and on target... then let it go...

THUNK

Not quite the grin of victory as before. Then again, not quite the on-target shot, either. Something had thrown off his aim or his concentration, and the arrow had thudded into the pole maybe half a foot below where he'd intended. On a man-sized target, well, he could forgive that... but he was more likely to be hunting with his bow, not going to battle. A miss like that could decide whether or not he ate that day.

"I should go."

Konrad's head turned a mite faster than usual. The tone... it rattled him, yet again. So much about this bloody girl irritated and confused him. To look at her, he couldn't see the flighty, remorseless "win some, lose some" attitude she'd bore when he called her out on her last pantomime. He saw a girl... hurt. Offended. Saddened. But it wasn't just a look that could be counterfeited that told the tale.

Things fit each other. Follow each other. Thoughts whispered through his mind as she started to leave, stilling his tongue as he watched. That's how you spotted the lie. Because that cocky wench didn't match the scared little girl that came right after. But this time? A liar... would be outraged. Would fight for the lie. She isn't. She's just-

By the time his mouth worked again, she was already working away, and Konrad wasn't about to go chasing after anyone. He heard her offer as she left, watched her hair bounce in chaotic, frenetic curls. He stood there, alone again, thumb caressing the wood of his bow, back tingling lightly from where she'd touched him. Ears still echoing.

He didn't speak. He didn't call out to her. Drykas and wahlaks were wandering to and fro and a dozen gazes would have swung in his way if he did. Drawing attention tio himself, especially over a woman... no, that wasn't Kpnrad's way.

But he wanted to. Which was strange.

He mused on her words and he walked over to the pole. Gave a wry half smile as he took in the hideous, horrific damage they'd wreaked upon it. Had it been a man, the sod wouldn't have been getting back up. He sheathed his knife, retrieved his arrows... studying the last one...

SNAP

"Welp," he whispered to himself, ghost of a smile playing around the corners of his eyes as he dropped the "accidentally" snapped arrow into the mud. "Guess I got a reason t'go visitin'."

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes