Monster: Grass Wyrm

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Konrad Venger on February 22nd, 2017, 6:34 pm

Hey,

I remember reading ages ago, in the write up for Cyphrus, that there were "elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean". That was C and P'd, by the way, straight from the blurb in the Forum Index. But the more I look and more I play in Cyphrus, I'm realizing that while we have bears, lions, wolves, glassbeaks, yukmen, coyotes and snakes (not serpents, big dif), we DON'T have the serpents.

Well, time to correct, methinks...

What I had in mind was something like this:

Something with lots of spines for better moving through the grasslands of the SoG, and scaled up to maybe 50-60 feet long, with a girth to match (going by the "whale" comment above). A constrictor, not a viper, since being that huge will be advantage enough, and a snake that large maintaining venom glands would be hard to conceive. It's prey would basically be anything smaller than itself, and while the older, larger serpents would probably know enough to steer clear of humans, the younger ones would be isolated enough that they'd know nothing about spears, arrows or fire, and see them as just another meal (often riding a larger meal).

Before it looks like I'm overpowering this monster, let me give you the good news.

First of all, it is very much adapted to the thick, tall grasslands of the SoG, both in diet and movement. Contrary to what many think, those particular grasslands do not cover the entirety of the SoG; probably less than half, in fact. So it's not like you're going to run into them that often.

Secondly, much like large constrictors in real life, it can take a Wyrm days to digest a full stomach's worth of food. In that time, they're pretty helpless and susceptible to predators, thanks to almost all their energy being drained towards digesting. Related to that, a full stomach can last a Wyrm a season, maybe even longer, so they're not aggressively hunting that often. Once they're satisfied, they save their energy and stick to their territories.

Thirdly, there aren't many of them: not because they're endangered or over-hunted, but because they're so huge that often they simply can't eat enough to stave off starvation. I got the idea from here, and it seems logical enough.

As far as other details go, I picture them as pretty solitary animals, to the point where courtship can be dangerous for both parties. Once a litter is produced - generally 10-12 infants - the female leaves them to fend for themselves. Given how dangerous the SoG is, maybe a quarter or less of them will survive to maturity, and perhaps one or two into adulthood. The Wyrms mate once or twice in their lifetimes, which are unknown, but Drykas elders speak of Wyrms with the same markings being spotted by individuals separated by at least a generation.

So... that's my idea. Lot of holes, lot left unwritten and undecided, but this is just the outline. What say ye, honored peers?

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 23rd, 2017, 10:28 pm

Yeah, I'm not so sure on this one, you might want to peruse some of the lore entries that mention wyrm/wyrms, or as they are also known velispar.

Wyrm aren't just another bigger monster. That'd be like calling a tsunami a bit of water.

Here are a few excerpts from the lores. I think there are also some references in various posts and threads/locations within the actual RP site, but the below are just the ones I found in the lore itself.

Ukalas lore- "There are a whole range of creatures (see Great Wyrms), much like the Gods and Goddesses that live within the Ukalas. Some of these manifest upon Mizahar as well, though their power and forms are completely different than that of the Gods."..."The Divine beings, Great Wyrms, and other creatures who frequent the Ukalas can sometimes take mortals with them."

Katalimaru- "Katalimaru are often considered closely related to Velispar and might be an aquatic cousin to these giant land wyrms. They reach mature size at well over two hundred years, and often linger as juveniles only growing into maturity when there's been decades of abundant food sources within their home waters. "

Riverfall- "Nevar Chivan: 6'9" 250 lbs. Akalak male. 220 yrs old with shoulder length black hair. He has a scar along his entire right shoulder both front and back. It is a bite from one of the great wyrms of the plains. He is the only person to ever fight a great wyrm and survive. To date, no one has ever killed one of the great wyrms of the Cyphrus Plains. Rumor claims there are seven of them."

So yeah, these things aren't normal monsters, they are above and beyond.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on February 23rd, 2017, 11:32 pm

Meh, didn't think there were any. Just an idea, but if it's already covered, no worries. Oh, totally stealing that tsunami line, by the way. :D

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4