[Fighting Pits] Fist to Fist

Aladari practices self-defense with Ferrin

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Aladari Coolwater on February 23rd, 2017, 3:27 am

43rd of Winter, 516

She had left her hair exposed today. As dirty as it was, she was willing to guess that it was nearly unrecognizable as the shimmering hair of a Vantha. Her eyes, though, had been carefully dialated by Dan's concoction, hiding the majority of her irises and giving her a certain anonymity.

Going into the city now wasn't quite as big of a deal as it was at the beginning of the season, and she found herself more at ease in her disguise. Today, she felt good enough to come into the city for an almost frivolous purpose- to train.

Aladari had always preferred fighting with her hands. Although it wasn't any good for hunting or surviving out in the wilds, she wasn't much of a hunter anyway. She was a barhopper, and in the taverns, unarmed combat was the only way to go.

But after so many days outside of the city, even her brawling needed a little touching up- not to mention the fact that she had been dry for days and was craving a tall ale. So, Aladari took a turn by the harbor, pausing for a mug before making her way deeper into the city.

She carried the mug with her, taking long, slow sips to savor the comforting burn of it. She passed by one area labeled as the training grounds, but peering into it, she could easily see it was for the Knighthood only. All inside held a regal air- even the young ones- and were well-equipped with practice weapons and protective gear. Aladari couldn't enter there, and nor did she want to. She had no patience for the high and mighty knights. Instead, she carried on in further search.

Finally she came to another area which seemed reserved for training. It had wide open spaces where a few people stood sparring with various (rather real-looking) weapons, and thin mats laid out on the ground. Aladari wasn't entirely sure what the mats were for, but she knew that they would work well for her purposes, so she entered the pit and chose one.

She put her empty mug down, but left her backpack on, as she still didn't quite trust the populace. She removed her shoes for better movement, though. I need new ones anyway. She thought.

Then, Aladari began to warm herself up as she had been taught. She swung her arms around herself, legs placed in a wide stance for balance. Especially combined with the alcohol, the repetitive motion was calming, and brought her a kind of peace. She lost the feeling of a crowded city and ridiculing eyes boring into her back, and instead felt alone in her space. Aladari sighed in contentment. This was what she missed about drinking- the calm.

Word Count460
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on February 24th, 2017, 4:06 pm

"Speech" -- 43rd of Winter 516av -- Thoughts

Ferrin had always been in a mood for training, he'd been training for a lot of things this season. He pushed himself, and had continued to push himself as the season progressed. This warm winter seemed peculiar, and Ferrin wished for the snow; he planned on hoping to build snowmans with Dina, even maybe go out ice skating again in the woods, or maybe not... with Syliras environment, it won't be possible to do either of those. Ferrin knew that, but he wished to spend more time with his adopted daughter and his beloved, though, he needed a steady living and wanted to become a knight. Because if it's one thing that Ferrin lacked, it was his ignorance of financial upkeep. He regretted switching from being a hunter to a Squire. Although, the payments of the apartment wasn't much, Ferrin felt it more safe to maybe live in the Barracks of the Stronghold Citadel next season.

Nevertheless, he still would be having Dina, and Ferrin still has Jade, she'll support him no matter what, and he to the same. Ferrin was grateful for Jade, she gave Ferrin a certain push to become a Knight. By Gods, Ferrin will do it to, even if it takes him a couple season, but first he must work on his actual defenses. Although, his patron, Ser Xervos, gave him leave for the day and the next, Ferrin still took this time to train his unarmed combat. It's not the best; and the last time he'd worked on it was some time over the summer. A Chawkatawe; by the name of: Ishtar had trained him, though Ferrin had to pay a decent sum for that training. He didn't like having to pay for that, but it'll probably help him in the long run, when he would have nothing to defend himself.

He had his shortened broadsword with him, just in case things go south. Which he prayed to Sylir that they wouldn't and he'll be fine at the end. Ferrin was on his way to the Fighters Pit, he figured that he didn't want Ser Xervos to see him at the Training Grounds, because otherwise, he might force Ferrin into a lot of Strength and Conditioning. Ferrin didn't want to do either of those, and he would train in other skills, but right now, he wanted to train with his fists. The Pits were busy as usual, and Syna's radical rays of heat had beaten down upon those within the area of the Pits. There was a woman who was training with her fists. She looked oddly unfamiliar and she had an ale with her. Ferrin wondered many things about the woman, though he figured to be quiet about her whereabouts and whatnot. He strolled up to the woman, his clothing flapped with the wind, his leather armor strapped a bit tightly around his fairly muscular abode.

"Excuse me, miss. Would you like to spar?"Ferrin said after he cleared his throat to catch her attention.

Credits go to Aislyn

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on February 28th, 2017, 4:05 pm

43rd of Winter, 516

She was almost surprised at the respect with which he spoke. It had been so long that she couldn't recall the last time she'd been called "Miss"; it had always been "lassie", or "girl". Turning around to face him, though, she discovered why he spoke as he did.

The man was clearly of the Sylirian Knights. His muscles were outlined by his fine clothing, and he was well taken care of in the way only Knights were here. Even his face was relatively cleanly shaven, showing off a carved jawline and soft smile. It was impossible to tell how old he was, but if Aladari had to guess, she'd say he was at a Knight's ranking.

Unable to remember the proper protocol, Aladari inclined her head towards him in a pseudo-bow. Hopefully it would be respectful enough.

"Aye, Ser. I'd love to, long as ya don' take me too hard."

She couldn't be sure if the Knights would take kindly to flirting or not, but she tossed a wink in anyway. Winks could be excused as accidental easily, and it wasn't likely that he would bring such a thing up. Besides, the alcohol had a stronger affect on her after so many days dry, and she was feeling loose and carefree. It was about time she had some fun.

Aladari backed up on the mat to give him room. She waited patiently as he got ready, flexing her toes into the softness of the mat. It was soft enough to keep her from serious injury, but she had no doubt that hitting the ground would hurt.

Guess I'll just have to stay on my feet, then!

"Whenever you're ready, Ser." She prompted.

Word Count286
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 2nd, 2017, 12:52 am

"Speech" -- Timestamp -- Thoughts

"Aye, Ser. I'd love to, long as ya don' take me too hard." It seemed like a taunt, the way the younger woman spoke. Ferrin wasn't sure how good she would be with Unarmed Combat, Ferrin has a low probability of winning a fist to fist, mono a mono spar. The Kenashian registered the way she spoke as well, she had an accent. Though, he wondered where she was from, she didn't seem like she was around Syliras, maybe Ferrin could ask her of her name? Perhaps Ferrin should start by introducing himself, first.

"The names Ferrin. Pleasure to meetcha." Ferrin spoke out, he stretched his hand, upwards, and out for the dark haired woman to shake. The crowd, the one that had gathered around the Pits- they're getting quite louder, but Ferrin had a tendency to tune them out anyways. Nonetheless, Ferrin didn't want to know if she were flirting with him or not, most people on Mizahar would probably know how to fight- at least the basics. Ferrin knew some, but not all. He's no Master either.

Fortunately, Ferrin had his armor off and it was at home.

The squire kept his short broadsword on, as he was afraid that someone might take it if he weren't paying attention. He made a mental note to not unsheathe it as he doesn't want to intimidate the woman.

"Whenever you're ready, Ser." It appeared to him-Ferrin; that this lady was taunting him? He could be wrong, and she might be doubting Ferrins' capabilities to fight. He shrugged and replied:

"Hmmm. Okay."The Squire responded. He balled up his fists and shuffled closer to the lady across the mat, he swung low.
Credits go to Aislyn

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aladari Coolwater on March 3rd, 2017, 9:28 pm

"Nice ta meet ya too, Ferrin. I'm Aladari."

She had gotten used to leaving her last name off in Sunberth, so it had been easy to remember to leave off her Hold name in Syliras.

He readied himself on the mat rather quickly, almost professionally. Aladari gulped. He promised to go easy...right?

"Hmm. Okay" He said shortly. And then, he balled his fists and swung.

Despite watching him ball his fists and move closer, she had been utterly unprepared. He caught her in the gut, grazing the skin and creating a burning sensation. Aladari grunted at the impact and stumbled back, but kept her footing.

Petch!

In recovery, she moved back in close, hunched to protect her gut. She balled her fists as she had seen him do, then struck her fist straight out.

She had learned in Sunberth, with a training instructor, not to advertise her hits. He had told her not to wind up the punch, no matter whether it made her more powerful or not. She still didn't quite understand why, but she followed the rule dutifully, stretching her arm, aiming for what she hoped would be a soft spot- his stomach.

Word Count195
[/color]
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 6th, 2017, 8:53 pm

When Ferrin punched Aladari in the stomach, Ferrin was surprised that he had actually made contact with the punch.

"Are you okay?"Ferrin asked as Aladari seemed to be hunched over, the Squire didn't use as much force as he should have, but it still seemed to have quite an effect against Aladari and Ferrin felt a singe of guilt cutting through his system. He shook his hand a bit, it didn't sting too much, but it bothered his knuckles.

It seemed to Ferrin that Aladari had made a fairly quick recovery and managed to get back into her stance, though Ferrin was watching her, he wasn't ready for her punch. He barely noticed it, her punch made contact and caught Ferrin straight into the chest. Ferrin gasped some, and stumbled back a bit as the punch to the chest exhaled some air out of his system. It wasn't a hard punch, but it was enough to cause Ferrin's eyes to water, he blinked a few times and recovered with a couple of rolls of his shoulders and he controlled his breathing which allowed him to retrieve the air that he had lost.

"You've got some fire in ya."Ferrin spoke in his Kenashian accent as he planted his feet firmly on the gravel. The Squire shuffled forward, and swung low, he added another punch to spice things up a bit.
Credits go to Aislyn

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aladari Coolwater on March 10th, 2017, 4:37 pm

It was, in many ways, her favorite compliment she had ever received.

"You've got some fire in ya."

Aladari couldn't help but smile. "Ya?" She asked, "'Ow abouts you? You gots some in ya?" It was a taunt, clearly, but as she spoke she continued to watch his movements. She had learned better than to lose her focus so easily.

He shuffled forward, slumped low to ground. Aladari's instinct was to slump low to meet him, but the twinkle in her eyes said she had another idea. Aladari stretched herself up tall, and when Ferrin swung, she jumped as high as she could in an effort to dodge. Theoretically, this would allow her to come down on him from above when he was still bent over- a clear advantage. Unfortunately, she was not naturally dexterous, and her weak legs carried her only a few inches off the mat.

Ferrin's swing still connected with her knee. Aladari was taken out of her jump and fell to the ground, holding her arms out behind her to hopefully break the fall. She landed on her hands just so, grunting with the impact. She saw stars for a tick as her wrists burned, but the pain quickly cleared away with the adrenaline of the fight.

She scrambled to her feet and sucked in a quick breath. "Was good for a try, huh?" She joked.

Aladari rubbed her left wrist quietly, not wanting to draw attention to the weakness for any reason. It would only elicit either harder attacks or sympathy- neither of which were appealing.

Still capable with her legs, Aladari tried a different approach. She leaned backward, balancing on one leg while throwing the other out in a low sweep. If she could take Ferrin down onto the mat, then she would have the upper hand figuratively and literally.

Word count306
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 13th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Ferrin was really surprised that Aladari would try something so acrobatic. He wasn't expecting someone to do something like that, even in a fist fight. It was strange, and really strange coming from someone like Aladari, though Ferrin was probably just doubting the woman's skills. Perhaps, she was a professional, and Ferrin was the Novice? The squire blushed as he just simply watched Aladari crumble to the floor when he made contact to her knee with his previous punch. Of course, Ferrin is quite muscular, buy even Ferrin doubted his strength.

Garland is probably stronger than Ferrin, but even Garland has weakness in a fight. He'd probably won't even fight a woman willingly, unless he was truly desperate for a fight, and Jade is pretty quick at handling herself in a fight when she becomes unarmed. Ferrin cleared his throat, and rubbed his knuckles, as the punch to the kneecap wasn't the best move?

"Are you okay?" Ferrin asked warily, as he looked at the girl, rubbing dirt off of her pants and readjusting her position. Ferrin did the same, but she had only stated that jumping over Ferrins arm was worth a try, and to Ferrin, it really didn't seem like it. It could have been a crucial risk for her, if she were in an actual fight. Ferrin could have pulled out a secret dagger and could have stabbed the woman when she was down, if Ferrin was that kind of person.

When Ferrin went low for his next attempt, he hadn't expected Aladrari to recover so quickly, and he had barely noticed the kick to his lower abdomen, and the squire scooted backwards as he hunched low, but he attempted to find his foothold. He used the spare ticks to recover from the impact as he took a couple of breaths. He readied himself, waiting for Aladari to make her next move, she seemed unpredictable, but Ferrin wanted to play things out, and see what she would do next.

Credits go to Aislyn

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aladari Coolwater on April 6th, 2017, 12:06 am

"Are you okay?"

She barely registered the question as she swung out. But even distracted, he reacted in plenty of time to pull away from her attack. It seemed like each move she made, he was ready for. Each time she lunged forward, swept to the side, or even fell back, he already knew what she was going to do. Aladari let out a puff of frustrated air that flipped a clod of hair out of her face. How could she compete with someone who knew her move before she made it?

Aladari remembered having the same problem in Sunberth with her combat instructor. He had been so cool and collected, and so un-relatable that she had hardly understood what he had taught her. Perhaps Ferrin would be close enough to her age and skill level that he would be able to help her understand.

Aladari stepped back away from Ferrin and took a breath, straightening her aching leg out in front of her.
"How d'you do that?" She spat.

Assuming that he did not move towards her any further, she would place her hands on her hips in an accusatory manner.
"No one ever taugh' me nothin' 'bout this shyke. How d'you see what's I's gonna do? Y'know, to react an' the like.

"An' who taugh' you? Who can I learn of?" She demanded. Although Aladari was generally a kind person, she also lacked patience, and at the moment she was too wrapped up in the adrenaline of the match and the frustration of being incompetent to put forth any niceties.

Word Count252
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 21st, 2017, 7:45 am

Aladari Coolwater
Skills
Unarmed Combat: 3
Observation: 2
Disguise: 1
Flirting: 1
Intimidation: 1
Acrobatics: 1
Socialization: 1
Lores
Clean shaven and well dressed in Syliras? Must be a Knight
Ferrin, man that wanted to spar
Favored compliment: "You've got some fire in ya."
Nagging thought: "How d'you see what's I's gonna do?"
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season of last IC post: Summer 517
Season of last Paid Seasonal Expense: Spring 517
Eligible for grade? Yes

Ferrin AlMandrikan
Skills
Socialization: 1
Unarmed Combat: 2
Lores
Aladari, Woman with an accent
If a fighter is doing acrobatics, they must be a professional
Aladari: Recovers quickly
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season of last IC post: Spring 517
Season of last Paid Seasonal Expense: Spring 517
Eligible for grade? Yes

Always a shame to see a thread go unfinished. Well done. Please mark your post as graded in the queue.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes