Closed Thorn in Your Side (Alija)

After the influx of hares, Sayana goes hunting only to come across Alija and some thorny little critters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Thorn in Your Side (Alija)

Postby Sayana on January 7th, 2017, 4:34 pm

With the success of the first caged hare, Sayana turned to see the woman offering up a second cage. She nodded silently at the question, not wanting to disturb the other rabbits. Even with the general feeling of safety she had transmitted, a loud or sudden noise might startle them out of their stupor.

Similarly to the first, Sayana set up the second cage and began harnessing her hypnotism to lure out another thorn hare. She conveyed promises of food, water, a chance to mate, and a cozy new home. This time the djed drain felt stronger due to the variety of messages she was trying to instill in the hare. When she finally broke eye contact, the world seemed to go fuzzy for a moment with all the intense staring. But she managed to get a second rabbit trapped in the cage and she tied it off with the piece of root.

Now if she could just do a third. But her mind was starting to play tricks on her. It was as though she had been given false promises. The more she looked at the caged rabbit, the more she felt trapped and wanted to lash out.

Suddenly she stood, three throwing daggers in her hands and at the ready. Alternating right-left-right, she let them fly aiming for the rabbits inside the thicket. Almost immediately they began to scatter at the true threat, but not before two of said daggers met their mark. However, one of the injured hares still attempted to flee the thicket. With a quick dash and a lunge, Sayana caught up with the limping creature and finished it off with one of her regular daggers.

With her bloodlust sated and the earlier effects of the hypnotism waning she brought back her kill and began poking around the thicket for the other one she had hit. “I think that will be all for today. I’d rather not do anymore hypnotism unless pressed.” She announced as she pulled the thorny branches out of the way.

Upon seeing the other dead hare, she bent down and carefully grasped it, although not without getting a few scratches from the thorns. “Five should be plenty, yes?” However, just as she was stepping away from the thicket, there was a loud ripping sound and when Sayana glanced down she saw that one of the thorns had torn through a good chunk of her cloak.

“Petcher. Know anywhere to get a new cloak? Sahova isn’t the most hospitable place for the living.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Alija on January 11th, 2017, 8:05 am

As Sayana caught another rabbit in the cage, Alija gently took it from her, freeing her up for more hunting. The woman, however, decided against more hypnotism and launched into sending knives flying across the thicket and at the hares. Two met their mark and she finished the second one off with a dive in that direction, Alija watching helplessly at the woman hunting. She had skill and strength in it, something Alija didn't have. Wouldn't have and didn't want.

Hunting was far too brutal for her. The only reason she wasn't feeling it now was because she was hungry, and because the thorn hares weren't doing much to make them seem harmless. Clearly, Sayana didn't feel the same, or if she did, grown used to ignoring it out of necessity.

"I understand," she nodded as Sayana explained that she was tired out. Magic wasn't forgiving and it was always better to not push yourself. She should know that, and yet she found herself not always listening to her body telling her how much magic she could do. There was always something fascinating waiting for her beyond what she had already done. Another aura to explore, a different perspective to take. Even now she felt herself twitching, wanting to push forward with her magic.

No. If the Eypha-something had the strength to control herself, Alija would too. Taking the two cages one on each other, she let Sayana gather the dead hares and carry them. They were a lot safer and she felt that the woman had already risked being pricked many more times than she had. "Five is more than I could have hoped of getting." She paused, smiling at her new acquaintance. "Thank you for the help."

A large rip broke through her words and she looked at the source - the thorns had taken the last bit they could from Sayana and now her cloak had a significant tear through it. The woman was right. Sahova was not made for the living. Or for the dead, even, as they needed clothing too. It was all just labs and workshops.

Deciding it was the least she could do to help, the woman decided her little skill would be the best she could offer. "I don't think Sahova does, but until you do find a place or get something shipped in," she assumed that was possible, "I can try to repair it. It wouldn't look pretty but it should do the job and still work as a cloak."

She hadn't sewn in such a long time. She hoped she could still remember it.

Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayana on January 23rd, 2017, 4:37 am

“Oh, you can sew something like this?” Sayana asked, surprised by the offer. “To be honest, I’m pretty tired for the day but we could meet up later in the season and get it stitched up. My mother was a seamstress, but I never picked up her talent. Or patience for that matter. Where could I find you?”

Sayana gathered up the dead hares along with the thorns she had plucked from her first kill. She found that if she held the rabbits carefully by the ears, she could avoid the poisonous thorns. Alija already had the other two live ones in the makeshift cages. She paused a moment to consider how to divvy them up.

“How about you take the live ones and I take the dead ones? I mean, I could throw in another dead one, but you look like you have your hands full.”

Two rabbits would be plenty for her. So she was willing to be flexible especially if it meant some help on her torn cloak. However, she was certainly curious as to whether she could harvest some of this unusual poison. Hopefully with fewer pricks to herself rather than more.

There was something refreshing about Alija. She was down to earth, practical, and willing to get her hands a little dirty for a common cause. She didn’t seem like the other inhabitants of Sahova. They were more aloof and focused on their own ambitions. Another chance to meet with Alija might serve them both well.

OOCSorry about the delay (and the shortness). I think just one post from you will finish it off.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Alija on January 28th, 2017, 10:12 am

Alija nodded to her first question. Sewing wasn't particularly easy for her, she couldn't do it like she could blacksmith, but she could still do it. Her mother had drilled it into her, back when she was young, when neither was a slave and were actually at home. "Mine was too," she replied, smiling at the good memories of the past. Sure, she had found it boring and hated most of it then, but now she understood how dear those moments were. "I have a room in the quarters, but I don't spend much time there. I'm Arios' apprentice, you can find me there. If not, I'm in one of the workshops, one of the forges. It depends.." She hated her own uncertainty. Everything she did in this place was simply reliant on someone else - she couldn't blacksmith until Arios let her go, until someone left a workshop free, until another smith got her some metal. And that was just for blacksmithing.

Shifting the cages, she hoped the Thorn Hares would wait a while before stirring from their hypnotised states. "These will be fine." She smiled softly, adjusting her grip on them once more before rising to stand properly, ready to leave and deliver them before they caused her too much trouble. "I'm sure it'll be enough for now." Because she was not coming back to the forest unless she really had to - any food, no matter how expensive and disgusting, would be a lot more attractive than fighting these thorns again.

She gave a final smile at the woman, wondering for a tick about her story. About how a woman so skilled, so alive, so different could come to this island and survive there. Why she would, too. But that was neither here nor there. A tale for another time, when the two met again. Hopefully, it would be soon. Sayana needed a fixed cloak and Alija needed someone with a beating heart, to remind her that there was still life in this world

Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Languish on March 20th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Here Lies Your Grades

Sayana :
Skills Amount
Hunting + 3
Stealth + 1
Meditation + 1
Tactics + 2
Tracking + 1
Teaching + 1
Auristics + 1
Hypnotism + 2
Wilderness Survival + 1
Weapon: Dagger + 1
Trapping + 1

Lore of Meditation Technique: Focused Meditation Lore of Stealth: Hold Breath for Complete Silence Lore of Sahovan Fauna: Thorn Hares Have Paralytic Poison Using Hypnotism to Lure Prey
Lore of Alija: Aurist Sahova Location: The Thorn Forest Lore of Alija: Arios' Apprentice Lore of Wilderness Survival: Crafting a Cage for Trapping

Alija :
Skills Amount
Tactics + 3
Hunting + 3
Land Navigation + 1
Observation + 2
Socialization + 1
Tracking + 2
Auristics + 2
Trapping + 1
Knot Tying + 1
Stealth + 1
Wilderness Survival + 2

Lore of Tactics: Teaming Up to Hunt Lore of Using Auristics to Hunt Hidden Prey Lore of Land Navigation: Fighting Through Thorns Lore of Tracking: Watch for Droppings Lore of Tracking: Watch for Trails in Leaves or Dirt
Lore of Auristics: Seeing Through Earth Lore of Sayana: Six-Armed Eypha Lore of Sayana: Hypnotist and Aurist Sahova Location: The Thorn Forest Lore of Wilderness Survival: Crafting a Cage for Trapping

Consequences :
Assuming that the live hares go to Arios, you may split up the dead ones as you please between the two of you.

Sayana, if you could mark your cloak as ripped in your inventory, that would be a good reminder until it is fixed.

Additional Comments: I really enjoyed reading this thread. There was a lot of content, but it didn't feel crammed at all. Alija and Sayana were innovative with their use of skills, and it was neat to see the different take on them.

A few of the skills (Auristics for Alija and daggers for Sayana) didn't get a point for each instance because they are at such a high level. I gave Wilderness Survival for the invention of the cage, as it was more closely related to that than anything else I could think of. If you feel what I decided was unfair or would like something switched, please feel free to send me a message.

Don't forget to edit your request in the grading queue to show this thread has been graded. If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me.
Languish
Wasting Away

Words: 126070
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous