Price List & Business Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Allassanachassanya on March 15th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Hi,

So this question is mostly aimed at Gillar ( :) ) but if anyone else knows anything I'd appreciate the feedback.

Currently, I'm planning a business for this character, found here. I've ran into a bit of problem though: I'm planning a wine bar, but a bottle of wine (fine) is listed as being 10 GM- at point of sale to the customer. Would this be the same as the buying price, and if so, how would Ssanya realistically make her money? Would she be allowed to sell certain types of wine at higher prices than the price list, for instance wines that have been imported from a long way away?

Finally, would I be able to make up wines and wine names for locations that state that they produce wine there? Or would this type of thing need to be a development project, rather than 'making it up on the fly', so to speak?

Apologies for the technical and long-winded question, but thanks for any answers!
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Languish on March 16th, 2017, 12:40 am

Hey Ssanya!
Now, I'm not the authority on business, but I think I can help here.

On Gillar's Example Business Plan, he walks through the process in full. The "Assets" section states
Gillar wrote:Items to be sold must be purchased only once at the start of the business. Replenishment of sold items is already figured as part of the income.

So, you won't have to turn a profit on each bottle of wine specifically- just on the original business investment as a whole. Purchase of the wines will be at the listed 10 GM for fine wines (which I assume most of yours will be) for both Ssanya and the customers. You could always raise the price for imported or custom-made wines, if you plan to get into vinting as well.

As for specific names of wines, that would be something I would run by your DS. There are specific wines and beers that could be imported across Mizahar already existing (I see you found the ones from Riverfall) but if you want to produce your own brand or create a new one, it might take a development project. Again, take a chat with Kaleidoscope and see what you can cook up.

Hopefully that answered a few of your questions. Good luck!
Languish
Wasting Away

Words: 126070
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Gillar on March 25th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Langish is correct. Any assets including furniture, decor as well as items to be sold are purchased as a part of the initial business creation. For items sold, you pay the cost of purchase up front for every type of item. Quantity isn't figured however. So if you wanted to sell fine wine, to pay for a single bottle of fine wine. All of the basic costs of replenishing that wine are then figured in as part of your business income in a "behind the scenes" sort of way. This is meant to reduce all the potential hassle of keeping track of a complex business ledger.

As for breaking it down to sell different kinds of fine wines, you would do the initial purchase of a bottle of each kind. So if you wanted say 5 different kinds of fine wine, you would pay for five different bottles. Now, if you wanted to offer unique, rare or one-of-a-kind wines, you would need to discover, purchase or make them in-thread to be able to add them to your business. As far as prices are concerned, the different kinds of fine wine you may offer would all be the same price unless they are the special ones you did threadwork to obtain. Those could be more expensively priced. While those are figured on a case by case basis, I see unique offerings like that to likely be between 1-10 gm above the cost of more common fine wines.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Allassanachassanya on March 25th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Okay, thanks both of you! I'll make sure to read a little bit more carefully next time, I must've missed that information. :retard:
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)