OOC Info [OOC] In the Murder

Discussion Board

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Ravok’s home for OOC Chatter, Development and Discussions.

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 23rd, 2017, 12:51 am

Buzz updated.

If you're going to roll for the Egg, use 1d10 as two of the secrets have been assigned. Please have a chat mod or other staff member present when you do this.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 25th, 2017, 3:43 am

Hello, children.

Ravok now has a place for the orphans.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Baran on April 30th, 2017, 4:46 pm

I love the orphanage! Hopefully some PCs will decide it looks fun, because it would be wonderful to see an orphan PC running around. :P

Anyway, I had an idea for a festival- what do people think?

The Red Run :
Name: The Red Run
Date: Summer 50th, late afternoon running into evening.
Location: Starting on the outskirts of Ravok and finishing in the Noble District.
Details:

The Red Run's origins stem from an old folk story of Ravok that occasionally makes the rounds amongst the elderly of the city. There are many different spins on the tale, some gruesome, others jovial. But the general gist, what someone might say when asked about the Red Runner, is this:
"Once, a handsome man loved a beautiful girl. He was rich and popular, well-loved by neighbours and priests. She was fair and gorgeous, a wonder to the eyes, and a pleasure to talk to. They seemed the perfect couple! They were happy and wealthy, and set to become very important people indeed.

However, there was one problem. They were both fiercely competitive. One evening, as they were sitting at home, they began talking. They could see where each of them worked from their house, and they could see the watery streets of Ravok. One said, "I suppose I could run from here to there with ease." The other said, "I think I could too."

The idea was seeded, and the man began to run from home, to work, to home every day, jumping across the narrow canals and swimming where he had to. The woman did the same, for now that they had mentioned it they simply had to do it. Each day, they got faster and more cunning, until they began to build in traps for the other. One day, the man hired a ravosalaman to oar away when his wife rounded the corner, as she had been relying on the boat as a stepping stone. The next day, the woman ran a length of rope across her husband's favourite route, causing him to stumble.

Neighbours soon understood that the two were deadly serious about their new routine, and began taking sides. Finally however, the traps took a turn for the worse, and in an effort to halt him, the wife placed slippery ice for him to tread on. However, it resulted in more than she'd bargained for, and the man slipped and fell, cutting his head, gaining concussion, and falling into the lake to drown. As she held him in her arms, the bloody water pooled on her clothes, dying them red. Overcome with grief and shame, she ran as fast as she had ever done, dancing from building to building and throwing herself into the open waters beyond the city, never to be seen again." [There are many variants of the story, some where the couple end up together, others where the race ends with the woman dying. All are valid, as it happened so long ago that not many remember.]

___

The festival itself is a lot less gruesome than this story, but it is based on the principle of freerunning through the city. Competitors start in designated places around the outside of the city, where crowds gather to cheer their chosen ones on and provide encouragement. Then, on a signal, the runners begin their course through the city, running towards the centre where the first one back is the winner. As the runners progress, the crowds follow in ravosalas, which often act as convenient places for competitors to jump from and to. Some citizens are allowed to place non-life-threatening traps for runners to encounter, which often leads to amusing stories to tell afterwards.

The entire festival celebrates a mix of athletic prowess, quick thinking, and the city itself, as many buildings put on proud displays for all to see as the crowds move to the centre. Those that win receive a medal and a prize, and all that take part can either get a semi-permanent red paint stripe to show their involvement, or a small red tattoo stripe.

Over the years, the number of competitors has grown sharply and now the race is almost split in two- those at the front who are deadly serious, and those at the back that just wish to explore the city in a different way, usually pandering to the crowd by voluntarily getting caught in the traps.

The whole race usually finishes with a party, where any winners get ultimate bragging rights. Also, if a man and a woman were in the top ten, then there is a tradition that the two get painted all over in red and thrown into the water together, to much laughter and applause. Thankfully, they are fished out soon after.

Sorry- it's kind of long. What do y'all think though?
Baran
"If you steal my gamba, I will gut you."

Words: 64397
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on May 1st, 2017, 1:24 am

Baran wrote:Name: The Red Run
Date: Summer 50th, late afternoon running into evening.
Location: Starting on the outskirts of Ravok and finishing in the Noble District.

I am good with all of this.

Baran wrote:Details: The Red Run's origins stem from an old folk story of Ravok that occasionally makes the rounds amongst the elderly of the city. There are many different spins on the tale, some gruesome, others jovial. But the general gist, what someone might say when asked about the Red Runner, is this:
"Once, a handsome man loved a beautiful girl. He was rich and popular, well-loved by neighbours and priests. She was fair and gorgeous, a wonder to the eyes, and a pleasure to talk to. They seemed the perfect couple! They were happy and wealthy, and set to become very important people indeed.

However, there was one problem. They were both fiercely competitive. One evening, as they were sitting at home, they began talking. They could see where each of them worked from their house, and they could see the watery streets of Ravok. One said, "I suppose I could run from here to there with ease." The other said, "I think I could too."

The idea was seeded, and the man began to run from home, to work, to home every day, jumping across the narrow canals and swimming where he had to. The woman did the same, for now that they had mentioned it they simply had to do it. Each day, they got faster and more cunning, until they began to build in traps for the other. One day, the man hired a ravosalaman to oar away when his wife rounded the corner, as she had been relying on the boat as a stepping stone. The next day, the woman ran a length of rope across her husband's favourite route, causing him to stumble.

Neighbours soon understood that the two were deadly serious about their new routine, and began taking sides. Finally however, the traps took a turn for the worse, and in an effort to halt him, the wife placed slippery ice for him to tread on. However, it resulted in more than she'd bargained for, and the man slipped and fell, cutting his head, gaining concussion, and falling into the lake to drown. As she held him in her arms, the bloody water pooled on her clothes, dying them red. Overcome with grief and shame, she ran as fast as she had ever done, dancing from building to building and throwing herself into the open waters beyond the city, never to be seen again." [There are many variants of the story, some where the couple end up together, others where the race ends with the woman dying. All are valid, as it happened so long ago that not many remember.]

I love the backstory- however- Ravok has perfect weather. How does one get ice in seventy degrees? Maybe we could come up with some kind of oil instead?

Baran wrote:The festival itself is a lot less gruesome than this story, but it is based on the principle of freerunning through the city. Competitors start in designated places around the outside of the city, where crowds gather to cheer their chosen ones on and provide encouragement. Then, on a signal, the runners begin their course through the city, running towards the centre where the first one back is the winner. As the runners progress, the crowds follow in ravosalas, which often act as convenient places for competitors to jump from and to. Some citizens are allowed to place non-life-threatening traps for runners to encounter, which often leads to amusing stories to tell afterwards.

The signal could be the bell tower. In the description, you say the race goes to the Noble District. Here, you say center (centre :p)- a set ending point will be needed. You say "some citizens" but how is that decided? This needs to be more specific or absolutely general.

Baran wrote:The entire festival celebrates a mix of athletic prowess, quick thinking, and the city itself, as many buildings put on proud displays for all to see as the crowds move to the centre. Those that win receive a medal and a prize, and all that take part can either get a semi-permanent red paint stripe to show their involvement, or a small red tattoo stripe.

I like the red stripe idea. Some of the more seasoned runners would definitely use tats to mark their prowess. I also really like the idea of businesses taking advantage of the spectacle. Maybe bakeries make red pastries or other shops make red clothes, baskets, etc.

Baran wrote:Over the years, the number of competitors has grown sharply and now the race is almost split in two- those at the front who are deadly serious, and those at the back that just wish to explore the city in a different way, usually pandering to the crowd by voluntarily getting caught in the traps.

The whole race usually finishes with a party, where any winners get ultimate bragging rights. Also, if a man and a woman were in the top ten, then there is a tradition that the two get painted all over in red and thrown into the water together, to much laughter and applause. Thankfully, they are fished out soon after.

Love it- except I'm confused by 'winners'. Would there be classes? age groups? Also- the red couple should be top male and top female finisher. I can see this being a very popular thing since most PCs and players like to accent their physical prowess. ;)

Iron out some of the vague things and nail down the finalities. I'm looking forward to reading the final draft.

Other players are free to comment, make suggestions as well.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on May 1st, 2017, 1:58 am

Artigan Crowley wrote:Name: The Night of Shadows
Date: Spring 30th. Setup begins later in the day, while the celebrations last from sunset to sunrise.

City-wide minus the City Center. No organization of any kind who craves power and control would willingly let a bunch of masked people into their home base.

Artigan Crowley wrote:Details: Sometimes jokingly referred to as “The Hunter’s Ball,” the Night of Shadows is at once a social event and a business event. Ravok is a beautiful city, and tonight is a night to celebrate that beauty in all its forms – through costumes, food and music, all beneath the layer of mystery granted by the masks that every good Ravokian wears to the party. From sunset to sunrise, the city is aglow with colored lanterns and candles that glint off bright clothes and decorations. The celebration takes place as the spring flowers reach full bloom, making bouquets and flower crowns a common sight throughout the city.

Yes!!

Artigan Crowley wrote:In addition, themes of neighborliness and charity run strong during this night; there are several donation caskets throughout the city manned by Ebonstryfe, ready and waiting for the populace to display their gratitude to the patron god. While most years will see the money go straight into the Black Sun, this isn’t always the case. If a disaster has struck or an important city landmark been damaged, funds will go to the relief efforts. Even in years of prosperity, money gained on the Night of Shadows will typically find its way into various urban development projects or otherwise be invested directly back into the city and people; the point of this night is to celebrate the beauty of the city, and to create more.

It's a nice thought but power is a hungry beast that requires much coin for its supper.

Artigan Crowley wrote:There are three main types of participants: consumers, vendors and entertainers.

The consumers are the general partygoers, who walks through the city and socializes. It is expected that if you are not supporting your neighbors by selling or entertaining, you are supporting your neighbors by buying. If you pass a busker on the street skilled enough to make you stop, you owe them a coin.

Vendors are business owners lucky or wealthy enough to obtain a license to sell on the Night of Shadows. Jewelry, food, all sorts of crafts can be found tonight, and every vendor is guaranteed to bring only their very best. Several of the masked passerby are in fact wealthy investors looking for promising craftspeople to award their patronage. For individuals who might not yet have the funds for their own shop, this is an excellent way to attract positive attention. In addition to the business license, they are also required to donate a portion of the night’s earnings to the Black Sun, or whatever project they have declared instead.

I don't like the idea of licenses. It's too hands on for the Black Sun and Ebonstryfe. They are bodies built upon control and power but it is the illusion of freedom which they offer that sets them apart from other groups like the Sylirans and Myrians. Budding artisans might have to pay a shop owner for the right to peddle in front of a store but the city isn't going to bother with registration for the festival.

Artigan Crowley wrote:Entertainers must also obtain a license to busk on the Night of Shadows, and are also expected to donate part of their earnings. In exchange, they are also put in the spotlight in the same way as the vendors, and have the same opportunity to attract wealthy patrons. While three or four acts might be endorsed by the Ebonstryfe directly just to get things going, the majority of entertainers are freelance. Any type of act is welcome; music, dance, plays and displays of illusion are all equally enjoyed by the populace. In addition, there will be several empty stages set up throughout the city where an unlicensed person can stand and present a personal piece such as a song, poem or speech. While they will receive no money from this, there are plenty of artistic types in the city who just want a chance to be heard, and the anonymity granted by the festival means that no one will know who they are.

No licenses. However, the idea of a select group getting the chance to perform at some kind of main stage could provide a way for people to flex their 'charity' towards the Black Sun.

Artigan Crowley wrote:No matter the type of participant, all partygoers will wear a mask. This mask can be simple or elaborate, plain or colorful, but the important part is that the wearer’s face is covered beyond recognition. Even if you meet someone that seems to speak exactly like your close friend, it is polite to act as if they are complete a complete strange; speaking to someone by name is considered very rude on this night. If two people decide to go through the party together, they will usually refer to each other by simple aliases such as “Wolf,” or “Storm.”

Well put and very important- this is a key feature.

Artigan Crowley wrote:Instead of names, each person carries with them a ribbon bearing their name. For the less wealthy, it might be a simple strip of linen with their name written in ink. For those with money to throw away, it might be a luxurious length of silk embroidered with golden thread. Most will only have one, but investors on the hunt might have two or three––never more than four. Depending on the situation, too many ribbons can reflect badly on the individual; a single, middle-class man with five ribbons to give, for example, will be seen as desperate and lecherous, whereas one with a single ribbon is much more acceptable.

Another well-thought out aspect. Very cool.

Artigan Crowley wrote:As one walks through the city, they inevitably mingle. If a person meets another and decides that wish to meet that person again for whatever reason, they will slip their own ribbon into the other person’s pocket. While this is technically supposed to go unnoticed, it’s unlikely unless the first happens to be a pickpocket; most of the time, the recipient will politely pretend to be unaware.

:D

Artigan Crowley wrote:Once the festival is over at sunrise, an individual will go home and check their pockets for ribbons. If they have received any, they now have an item with someone else’s name on it; this ribbon is clearly “lost property,” and it is that individual’s civil duty to return the lost property to its rightful owner, thereby meeting them in the process. This second meeting can have many purposes; it might be Nitrozian looking to invest in a particularly promising young glassblower, it might be a young woman looking to invite romance, it might be an assassin looking to lure their target into a trap. What happens after the festival remains up to the individuals to decide.

More smiles!

Artigan Crowley wrote:At its very core, the Night of Shadows is a chance for the people of Ravok to shed expectations. When no one knows who they are, they are free to express themselves without fear of social ripples. With this freedom comes the ability to meet others without having to put up a front, and to indulge in the food and laughter without restraint. It is a time for the people to put on masks, and, protected by that anonymity, show who they really are on the inside.

I like the Night of Shadows. There are some things that need to be addressed but it's not too far from being complete.

Evarista wrote:The idea is appealing. I especially enjoy the ribbons.

Agreed. I would like to add that -maybe- masks wouldn't be the only thing worn but a costume form of dress with a singular large pocket or set of pockets. As you stated with the ribbons, some could be plain but some might be completely extravagant.

Evarista wrote:However, the combination of business and anonymity seem to make the holiday prone to becoming a mass swindlery party. There also seems to be a lot of red tape involved, what with getting individual permits for everything. On what grounds are the vendor and entertainer licences awarded?

Swindlery! Lol. I'm with you on the permits. I like the double-edged sword aspect, though.

Evarista wrote:When it comes to encouraging freelance entertainers and craftsmen to join, the anonymity robs the event of all advertisement value, which is the main attraction point of such events. People may come into contact with investors through ribbons, but the event is useless for those vendors who want to advertise to customers. Same for the entertainers - their anonymity makes them gain no fame for their performances, unless they're already famous and recognised, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the event as an opportunity for new talent to step forward.

Vendors would not lose recognition since their products would remain as advertisement. Performers wouldn't need recognition so much since it would just be a way to make a bunch of cash in one performance. The idea has come to mind that entertainers would have a bunch of ribbons and those who enjoy the show could simply take one.

Evarista wrote:This is not necessary a reason to revise anything in the draft, but it's worth thinking about - since there's an emphasis on business, such things need to be taken into account. Ideally, there could be another fair-like holiday, a non-anonymous one, where the professionals (not least those who got investors at the previous Night of Shadows) can actually advertise their product properly. (A second business-related holiday may not be appropriate, though. I haven't thought much about that).The idea is appealing. I especially enjoy the ribbons.

I think there's something here. Perhaps not so much a holiday but a day set aside where the wealthy hold a street fair focused on upstart inventors and entrepreneurs pitch ideas to gain investors. This would really be nice to help PCs set up their own businesses. We would simply incorporate the Consortia Business Plans forum and provide an IC function to gain startup capital. If you're so inclined, I would like to read a write up on this.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Sofia on May 14th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Hey there! I'm going to have a good time threading with you all, I'm sure. I did join the city a little late in the season, but that's alright. I'm open to a thread or two. :)

Sofia
taking brat to another level

Words: 8776
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2017, 1:39 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Coryn on May 15th, 2017, 8:06 pm

I'm just echoing exactly what Sofia said... Joining Ravok slightly late in the year but nevertheless up for threads!
Coryn
has a hard time saying no.

Words: 80458
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2016, 10:54 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on May 15th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Welcome, new people!

The season is winding down so don't forget about your job threads. I have some super cool things planned for summer and am already excited! Furthermore, I've added a few NPCs and some more info to the Commorancy -though it's more of a shell to remind me of what still needs to be done. :P

Stay tuned for more information on updates, new stuffs and anything relative to the season change.

On an OOC note: My wife is due to have a baby at any time. While this will not take me away from Miz for any extended periods of time, I may be absolutely absent for a week (though I don't anticipate as much). This is just a heads up.

For everything else, send me a PM. That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Sofia on May 16th, 2017, 1:03 am

Ooh it's going to be tough to get some threads out with people who aren't other orphans...unless anyone's offering some teaching or internships? :P

Sofia
taking brat to another level

Words: 8776
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2017, 1:39 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Hwyn on May 16th, 2017, 4:51 am

Come by the Nitrozean mansion, business opportunities await!

We "probably" won't enslave you!
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)